Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

MizuZero posted:

lmao both Brooke Lynn and Priyanka tested positive for covid prior to the Montreal/Toronto dates of the Canada’s Drag Race at the Drive-In tour. Voss did not cancel or postpone, nor have they made any sort of public comment or post on their social media channels.

First M&P, then EliteQueens, now Voss...are there ANY drag-focused booking companies that aren't yikes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Read After Burning posted:

First M&P, then EliteQueens, now Voss...are there ANY drag-focused booking companies that aren't yikes?

Unrelated, but this reminds me of drama from years ago from the Real World tour circuit. Cast members from the Real World would go on tours of college campuses and the sort to make extra money. I remember going to see Coral and Malik from season 10 Back to New York in college.

Well, there was a ton of drama between Melissa and Julie from the first New Orleans. It's been over 15 years so I don't remember all the basics, but it was something like Julie and her mother were claiming to represent various cast members, and would either claim a percentage of the appearance fees, or was calling colleges and canceling on behalf of people to get other people signed instead.

Reality tv tours are always drama.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Regarding the translations, I'm :filez: and the subtitles are accurate in spirit but quirky in a charmingly straight-o-vision way. Example: DRHolland contestant says, in English, "That bitch is coming for our gig, honey" and the subtitle is, "The bitch is coming for us."

The Miss Grand Thailand photo set is stunning! Would love to see things of that nature shared here in the off-season, if we ever get an off-season again...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Regarding the translations, I'm :filez: and the subtitles are accurate in spirit but quirky in a charmingly straight-o-vision way. Example: DRHolland contestant says, in English, "That bitch is coming for our gig, honey" and the subtitle is, "The bitch is coming for us."

The Miss Grand Thailand photo set is stunning! Would love to see things of that nature shared here in the off-season, if we ever get an off-season again...

ngl lolling at the thought of the english dialogue being translated in a way that is straight person friendly so they can keep up

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Hoisted by my own petard, they translated (spoken) "homophobia" as (subtitle) "self-loathing" and I felt that one

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Hoisted by my own petard, they translated (spoken) "homophobia" as (subtitle) "self-loathing" and I felt that one

So either the subtitles are done by a very straight, or a gay in a very bad place?

Also, I don’t know how much discussing :files: is allowed, but I am having trouble finding them. Got any pointers? If this is frowned upon, please ignore this/sixer me appropriately

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Such Fun posted:

So either the subtitles are done by a very straight, or a gay in a very bad place?

Also, I don’t know how much discussing :files: is allowed, but I am having trouble finding them. Got any pointers? If this is frowned upon, please ignore this/sixer me appropriately

I was going to try and subtly hint at the site I got the first two episodes from but they're no longer listed, so I guess they got DMCAd. Kind of annoying really.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

I got a kind pm telling me where to look

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Watching episode 3 I got a bit of plaatsvervangende schaamte, Fremdscham, vicarious embarrassment.
That acting challenge was just so bad! I think it can be blamed for a large part on the fact that the script was about 3 sentences worth. And those sentences had gently caress all to do with the show it was supposedly parodying. (The premise of which is a group of rich women from different backgrounds all having their own way of keeping up appearances).
It reminded me of some of those very worst snatch games, where a queen doesn’t have a character and instead just acts as loud and vulgar and physical as possible.
The only queen who seemed to understand their character was Sedergine. The worst was AbbyOMG, who seemed to have forgotten what words mean and just made the sounds.

The runway had some high highs, and some really really low lows. Not only were the lows very poor in execution, they were so basic in concept and imagination.
The prompt for this week was Miss Holland. If your concept is ‘just flower’, ‘just flowers, but ugly and a sack dress with windmill tits’, or ‘birthday party cow makeup and 5 tulips hotglued on a jacket’, you can GTFO.

I liked Chelsea Boy’s look the best. It was just so incredibly convincing.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Also, that lip sync was.. not great.

I thought Megan would demolish it, this song is completely her brand. She starts off okay, but she runs out of focus and ideas of what to do. You can see her awkwardly looking around, making half a dance move only to change her mind.
Abby still hasn’t regained understanding of language, and seems to be dancing to a completely different song. But at least she’s doing it with confidence.

Megan Skoenbroed gets sent home with a deliciously unnecessary kick in the face from Fred: “Drag Race is over. For you, not for me”. Did he say that he first two episodes as well?

WHY? TELL ME WHY!

https://youtu.be/SR82nbIneQI

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Megan's dress was awful and her hair was the ugliest goddamn thing. Made her look about a billion years old.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Such Fun posted:

Watching episode 3 I got a bit of plaatsvervangende schaamte, Fremdscham, vicarious embarrassment.
That acting challenge was just so bad! I think it can be blamed for a large part on the fact that the script was about 3 sentences worth. And those sentences had gently caress all to do with the show it was supposedly parodying. (The premise of which is a group of rich women from different backgrounds all having their own way of keeping up appearances)
(snip)
The prompt for this week was Miss Holland. If your concept is ‘just flower’, ‘just flowers, but ugly and a sack dress with windmill tits’, or ‘birthday party cow makeup and 5 tulips hotglued on a jacket’, you can GTFO.

I'm appreciating the insight from someone familiar with the Dutch culture! I'm German and living in the US, and while I can sort of understand the language (a lot of words are the same), the cultural references are utterly lost on me. For example, we heard "Miss Holland", and while my partner went "Oh, a pageant runway", I had assumed it was just "What is your country known for?"...when it seems flowers are a major component of that. Similarly, we just assumed the main challenge was based on a Dutch soap opera, without really knowing the premise of the show.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Madam madness was really cute when she shaved her beard.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
I haven’t watched it yet but the Just For Laughs Drag Race Canada Panel was last night and has been uploaded here

https://youtu.be/B7Wj4wxh-5Y

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
This looks cute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpOeZw7xdfI

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Our bars are shut down and the local drag queens are doing shows online. They quickly realized I'd tip any time they'd bring a dog on screen so now every Monday it's do drag with your dog.

I loving love it

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
How's it feel to have singlehandedly been the cause of a weekly entertainment event?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I just wish more people would tip. They work hard.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 13, 2020

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Snatch Game was rough this week, if only because I didn't know any of these celebrities other than Joe Exotic. It also just seemed like they were just saying their catch phrases, and not making any actual jokes.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

This week's Drag Race Holland: Didn't the challenge just specify "split personality," and not a gender split, specifically? I don't understand why the judges were critiquing two of them so hard for doing something else.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

tudabee posted:

This week's Drag Race Holland: Didn't the challenge just specify "split personality," and not a gender split, specifically? I don't understand why the judges were critiquing two of them so hard for doing something else.

Apparently some of the queens have complained that the judges seem to have a different brief than what the queens were given for the runway. At the very least this episode Ru’s intro to the runway explicitly states male/female.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Gotcha. To be honest I zone out at the RuPaul clips because they seemed extraneous :v:

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Noooo, not Sederginne. I loved her. I'm so sick of Abby OMG getting away with winning lip sync's just because she does splits and even MORE sick of ChelseaBoy not winning challenges because they're gunning for Envy Peru to win the entire competition. This brief sucked. It punished those who thought outside the box.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pan Dulce posted:

Noooo, not Sederginne. I loved her. I'm so sick of Abby OMG getting away with winning lip sync's just because she does splits and even MORE sick of ChelseaBoy not winning challenges because they're gunning for Envy Peru to win the entire competition. This brief sucked. It punished those who thought outside the box.

I'll miss Sederginne too. But she sucked this week. And as for AbbyOMG, none of the queens have really given good lip syncs. She pisses off the other queens, so why not keep her around for the drama. She's not going to win. Final 3 is probably going to be Envy Peru, Janey Jackie, and either ChelseaBoy or MamaQueen. But I guess now that I think about it, we're down to the final 5, so that final 4 is not hard to predict, haha.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

For anyone (like me) who was confused on who any of the Snatch Game characters were, I found this on Reddit. I'm not Dutch so I can't speak to the accuracy of this, but it may help.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DragRaceHolland/comments/j7pts0/list_of_dutch_references_in_drh_s1e4/

quote:

Janey Jacké - Anny Schilder. Anny was the lead singer of a band called BZN, which was popular in the 70’s and 80’s, and she's had some solo hits as well. She is a frequent guest on a tv show called Ranking the Stars, where she is always slightly out of it and often surprisingly honest and funny. Janey and Anny are originally from the same village, which is why she is wearing the traditional garb of this village.

Sederginne - Mega Mindy. This is a superhero character from a Belgian tv show aimed at little kids. I was no longer part of the intended audience when this show was airing so I never watched it, but this character is very well known in the Netherlands and she used to be a bit of a meme

ChelseaBoy - Tiger king, no explanation needed

Envy Peru - Patty Brard. Patty got her start in a girl group called Luv (this song should be used for a lip sync) and has been on pretty much every single reality tv show in the last 3 decades, including the Ranking the Stars show I mentioned earlier. She’s known for being tacky, over the top, dramatic, and always Too Muchtm . Roem actually mentioned her on episode 1, but the subtitles famously translated her name to 'petit bra.' She’s an icon and it would have been a crime not to have her as a snatch game character tbh.

Abby OMG - Michella Kox. Michella is the winner of the second season of the Dutch version of Ladette to Lady (Dames in de dop). She has been on a bunch of other reality shows since and is known for being kind of messy and never afraid to come for a bitch

Ma'MaQueen - Ryanne van Dorst. Ryanne is a singer and tv personality. She’s done some reality tv (including, once again, Ranking the Stars), but has also hosted some more serious tv shows about identity and gender (Ryanne is queer and intersex herself). She is known for having a very dry sense of humour and for being very open and honest. She’ll also be a guest judge later this season!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Dragula Resurrection was great and I'm so happy with the winner.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Drag Race Holland, They really aren’t hiding that Envy Peru is going to win. It looks like next week is going to be goodbye to Abby OMG.

I’m not a big fan of the host. Why did a random guest judge come in to talk to the contestants and not Fred?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I think Fred is my favorite drag race host so far. very strong fun personality and not too self serious. excellent "SILENCE" yell too.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I haven't been watching Holland b/c this bitch needed a break from all the Drag Race, so!! for those who have been watching, if there is any good candidates for a new thread title lmk ty

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

esperterra posted:

I haven't been watching Holland b/c this bitch needed a break from all the Drag Race, so!! for those who have been watching, if there is any good candidates for a new thread title lmk ty

HERP HERP HERP!

That seems to be what the host is saying when he says the, "HELLO HELLO HELLO" when he enters the werkroom. It makes me chuckle every time.

But other than that, all the queens are just saying in English the same drag queen phrases you've heard every queen on Drag Race ever say, or they're making jokes in Dutch that the subtitle translator isn't talented enough to make work in English.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Drag Race Holland, They really aren’t hiding that Envy Peru is going to win. It looks like next week is going to be goodbye to Abby OMG.

Agreed. But I've had fun this season. It's felt very much like season 4 or 5 of Drag Race OG.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 24, 2020

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Nihonniboku posted:

But other than that, all the queens are just saying in English the same drag queen phrases you've heard every queen on Drag Race ever say, or they're making jokes in Dutch that the subtitle translator isn't talented enough to make work in English.

I'm trying to learn a second language right now and lemme tell ya: Nothing is harder to translate than a joke. They're so deeply entrenched in culture that it's drat near impossible to translate one without a localization, which ruins the point of the joke in the first place if you're presenting the media in its original language. So you end up running into a problem where you're trying to decide between changing the joke to work with the target language, thus robbing the audience of context from the original language; or you have to put a translator's note on it, and nothing ruins a joke more than having to explain it. I ran into this problem a LOT when I worked in a place with about an even 50/50 split between native Amercian English speakers and native Puerto Rican Spanish speakers. There's always something lost when you have to communicate between cultures, even moreso with language. Not to mention fluency in both languages determining how well you can translate things in the first place.

Basically: I'm defending subtitles I haven't seen because I, too, needed a break from Drag Race and you could be right and they just aren't dealing with jokes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

curiousTerminal posted:

I'm trying to learn a second language right now and lemme tell ya: Nothing is harder to translate than a joke. They're so deeply entrenched in culture that it's drat near impossible to translate one without a localization, which ruins the point of the joke in the first place if you're presenting the media in its original language. So you end up running into a problem where you're trying to decide between changing the joke to work with the target language, thus robbing the audience of context from the original language; or you have to put a translator's note on it, and nothing ruins a joke more than having to explain it. I ran into this problem a LOT when I worked in a place with about an even 50/50 split between native Amercian English speakers and native Puerto Rican Spanish speakers. There's always something lost when you have to communicate between cultures, even moreso with language. Not to mention fluency in both languages determining how well you can translate things in the first place.

Basically: I'm defending subtitles I haven't seen because I, too, needed a break from Drag Race and you could be right and they just aren't dealing with jokes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh, you're totally right. I was too harsh. They do say that that's when you know that you're fluent in a language, when you dream in it, and when you can tell a joke in that language. My point was that there weren't really any good catch phrases to come out of the season.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I really like the send off: Drag Race is over. For you, not for me.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Watched the Dragula special; it was done very well and felt almost like more of a documentary than a competition.

Seeing the growth of the performers and the process behind their art was great, and filming the individuals in their local element with a small traveling crew was a delight. The imagination they were able to put behind everything when they had all of their personal resources at their disposal rather than bringing stuff to a competition was a lot of fun.

The way the winner was revealed was lovely, and I teared up a bit. Very excited for season 4, whenever that may be.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

the escape goat posted:

Watched the Dragula special; it was done very well and felt almost like more of a documentary than a competition.

Seeing the growth of the performers and the process behind their art was great, and filming the individuals in their local element with a small traveling crew was a delight. The imagination they were able to put behind everything when they had all of their personal resources at their disposal rather than bringing stuff to a competition was a lot of fun.

The way the winner was revealed was lovely, and I teared up a bit. Very excited for season 4, whenever that may be.

Did you watch after the credits?

And I loved loved LOVED everything the winner showed off. They were amazing.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

As per Dragula: Resurrection kinda felt annoyed they passed on Victoria Black. His looks were SO polished and he made sets for them too that worked so well for the briefs. The reasoning was weird. "He wants to compete against champions."

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Pinwiz11 posted:

Did you watch after the credits?

And I loved loved LOVED everything the winner showed off. They were amazing.

just went back and holy poo poo, I hope that means what I think it means 🤩

and by that, I mean an eventual all-stars season! Victoria wasn’t shown as “resurrected” but her “death” was very low-key in comparison to the others so who knows. But if she’s back for season 4 rather than an AS setup I’ll be absolutely delighted either way

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 27, 2020

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Honestly I do feel bad for the translators on the NL season, these people integrate very Dutch wordplay and English wordplay/jokes into one line and GL where to start.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I dunno, that lipsynch was just bad. Should have sent both of them home. Then brought Chelsea Boy back just for me to look at out of drag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Dragula Resurrection was fantastic. Being filmed in COVID and the restrictions that placed on the competition wound up creating one of the most personal, intimate shows I've seen. And of course, the level of talent was incredibly high. I'm recommending this to my friends who don't like reality shows but do like drag because it's such a pure showcase of these performers.