Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

OP a collected effort by KoL and Thyrork. :toot:

TRAILER is here!

WEBSITE // HUMBLE // ITCH.IO // DISCORD

quote:

Vintage Story is an uncompromising wilderness survival sandbox game inspired by lovecraftian horror themes. Find yourself in a ruined world reclaimed by nature and permeated by unnerving temporal disturbances. Relive the advent of human civilization, or take your own path.

Key Features:

Progress through the ages in an authentic world
Start out empty-handed and learn to survive by foraging, hunting, crafting, and fighting. Enter the stone age by knapping primitive stone tools and sculpting clay for essential pottery. Advance further by smelting copper for more powerful tools, creating bronze alloys, learning to work iron, and ultimately mechanizing common tasks.
Immensely large, immensely diverse procedural worlds
Enter a vast open world populated by a range of cute, strange, dangerous, and outright terrifying creatures. Vintage Story utilizes a great deal of procedural technology to create immensely diverse landscapes, climate conditions, and geological features to always keep exploration fresh and exciting.
A wicked universe backed by original story elements
Take on the role of a lost being in the body of a tall blue creature and discover the remnants of civilization. There is no linear storytelling; it is up to you to piece together who you are and what has happened from the little evidence that remains. During your journey you will encounter wayward creatures, find old stories, battle temporal instability, and endure temporal storms.
Immersive crafting mechanics
Vintage Story aims to turn all crafting processes into an immersive, in-world experience. You create stone tools by breaking off individual stone pieces, form pottery by placing small bits of clay, and craft sturdy tools by casting molten metal or by working hot ingots voxel-by-voxel on an anvil.
Geologically diverse
Every world you create is populated by a great degree of geological diversity. You will encounter:
- Dozens of unique landforms
- Varying rock strata that are host to specific minerals
- Areas rich, poor, or completely devoid of certain minerals
- Huge veins of quartz that harbor trace amounts of silver, gold and vugs - cracks in which large crystals can form
- Rare, crystallized versions of minerals
- Rare but huge domes of salt, which can be used as an effective food preservative
Inspired by Nature
Tend to your soil to grow healthy crops. Apply slow-release fertilizer and compost old food. Cook any of our thousands of meals and care for your nutritional needs. Build a cellar for long term preservation of food. Engage in beekeeping, farming, and animal husbandry, but remember to protect your farm from local wildlife that's always eager for a free meal.
Powerful creation engine

1000+ blocks build height, Multiplayer, WorldEdit Tools, Customizable Worlds, Easily moddable, Built from the ground up with modding in mind, The standard survival modes are mods themselves, Microblock chiseling, Immersive mouse mode, Model editor and animator, High graphics fidelity and playable on low end hardware.

In our own words:

Hey remember Terrafirmacraft? Well skip this part, because it's Terrafirmacraft unshakled from the awfulness of Minecraft, (not in java*), and looks loving gorgeous. Just go check the trailer out, if you’re not sold after that, I’m not sure what else a returning fan needs. Oh and it's CHEAP too!

*C# and OpenGL

You don’t know Terrafirmacraft? Remember Minecraft? Wish it was on an engine that wasn’t awful? That it looked gorgeous out of the box? That the game world was more meaningful then a vapid sandbox experience eating potatoes and mining diamonds? Me too.

Plus it has a story, not thrown in your face, discovered organically through exploring the world. With a setting that really is very odd. Very odd. You’ll realize it soon enough when you start fighting hunched over hooded beasts on the first night. This ain’t zombies and skeletons. Although the wolves will still gently caress you up, so some familiar comforts remain.

We don't talk about the temporal storms. :gonk:

I (KoL, you can thank Thyrork for the op actually being organized and not a rambling mess like my posts.) first found out about this game when the creators brought it up in the minecraft modding thread. I had just gotten off trying to play some Terrafirmacraft 1.12 modded minecraft, and found it unsatisfying. I noticed the game being mentioned, and tried it out. I’ve had it for about a month, and I’m impressed. The game is made by a former minecraft modder, and is one of those labors of love you get to see in indie development. The latest update just recently dropped, which has done a lot to improve the looks of what is already a gorgeous minecraft like game.

It’s also starting to get popular, at least in Germany. Some big twitch streamer over there did a 14 hour stream on it, so there’s lots of servers popping up, but they’re all sprechen sie deutsch. I’m hoping that its popularity will catch on elsewhere as the game builds up some momentum.

As it stands the survival experience has plenty to do. There’s mechanical power from windmills and wooden axles, metallurgy up to wrought iron, and a pretty indepth food system with farming, crop rotation, and animal husbandry. All in all it’s not far off from what the feature list was like for the old Terrafirmacraft, although the continued 1.8 version of that mod has gotten a lot more add on content. That said this game is developing fast, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it quickly ends up with more content. The exploration is also better, with all sorts of fun ruins underground, filled with bits and pieces of lore, pretty things to loot and take home, and the occasional temporal displacement device to fix if you’re feeling lucky.

Media!

I’m actually going to curate some of these screenshots in hopes of not spoiling some of the absolutely awesome stuff. This game gets loving weird and goes to some really nice places without being completly unshackled from its core aesthetics of neolithic survival as a time-displaced person.

”But those loving wind physics man! Oh those leaves! Those god rays!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

It's a good vintage, very sweet.

It's also a minecraft successor in all the good ways, notably being made in a not dogshit language (C#), and having the ubiquitous, the immortal MODDING API.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 23, 2020

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
MODS!

Since it's still in early access, some mods get broken by updates, but we’ll try to keep a good list here. At the very least the official forums has them listed.

https://www.vintagestory.at/forums/forum/17-mod-releases/

SERVERS!

Well there's ours. Gooncave, usual password. We’ll probably go for a new map in a few more versions if the game gets popular, or some good mods come out, but for now we’ve got a nice little hamlet, and there’s a lot of robust commands related to groups and claims already baked into the base server.

I'll update this post as more stuff comes out.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

StealthArcher posted:

It's a good vintage, very sweet.

You had one job. One. Job.

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

I've just gotten this game, probably gonna have to find people to play coop with at some point. Do you happen to have a goon discord for this game?

Disco Anne
Apr 1, 2010

Assume you're going to survive.
Who is Draw and why do they have a bow?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

LordOfTheNoobs posted:

I've just gotten this game, probably gonna have to find people to play coop with at some point. Do you happen to have a goon discord for this game?

I'm on the official one and we can spruce up yonder cave for the server.

Coop is really loving cool by the way. Knapping can be done together. You throw the stones down with the desired plan. It's so neat.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I think my favorite thing from a minecraft perspective is the dynamic lighting. I kept running into huge drops in caves I couldn't see the bottom of and would tediously climb down to explore. Then I had a galaxy brain moment and threw a torch down and it was like that Indiana Jones movie.

As for co-op, we don't have a discord for the server per se, as right now its just me and the rest if the gooncave. That said your welcome to hop on the server. You can also really easily turn your single player game into co-op. If you open to lan then you'll get an option to open to the internet and friends can just join your ip.

Server management is stupid easy compared to Java edition minecraft, so if anyone has any questions about it I will gladly answer.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
how casual friendly is this game? The farming and mining aspect looks perfect for a co-op wife game - we used to casually play a lot of don't starve together. Is it "chill" or will there be tense arguments about food spoilage and high requirements for combat prowess?

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
I bought the game last night and entered the Gooncave for warmth. It took me a little bit to reach the point where I wasn't constantly on the verge of starving, and then the wolves came.

It has been fun though and I'm about to cast my first copper tool.

Is there anything I can do/build to effect how the Drifters spawn at night? My temporary camp is besieged every night and without a structure to cower in while I work, I spend most nights with a torch and spear in hand looking out at the night.

Goodchild fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 25, 2020

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's pretty casual friendly. The surface is mostly tame. Monsters spawn at night, but they're dispatchable with a wooden club easily. Wolves are the most dangerous thing, but they live in woods, and don't spawn randomly, so you can avoid them till your ready to kill them. You can out run most threats easily. Early on you might have to resort to scrounging for berries and living off rabbit and roast cattail roots, but it doesn't take much to get established into a little neolithic farming village. Berry bushes can be transplanted and provide food regularly, farming isn't that hard although you'll need a trench in the stone age to stop rabbits from eating the crops if you're in an area where they spawn. The night can't be entirely skipped, but a lot of it can be slept through on a bed, which you can make a simple one out of straw. Surface mining is relatively simple, and copper is abundant enough that simple copper tools and a saw to start really using wood is easy to get to. Deep mining is more complex, and the deeper caves have nastier monsters, but also more ruins and fun things to find. Surface ruins are also abundant and a good source of neolithic building supplies.

Deep mining and caving can be really deadly, but you can set keep inventory on and all you lose by a death will be some of your nutrition, which is only used to bolster your HP over the base level you set when you make the world. I actually enjoy the farming and simple surface life aspects. You can raise chickens, sheep, and pigs, and they provide meat, skins, and bones for fertilizer. I just give them my left over flax grain, and they only need food to reproduce, you can just not feed them and keep them around as egg layers or living food stores. Vegetables keep in cellars for 60 in game days, and they grow really fast even on medium fertility soil, which isn't hard to find at all. More advanced forms of preservation like pickling and salting are available if you find the needed resources, or find a trader selling some. Cooked meals can be stored in crocks, and easily last a week before spoiling. Cooking is really pleasant, from an aesthetic standpoint. Clay pots bubble on the fire, the lid rattling until the meal is done. Crocks can be sealed to slow decay down even more (I made jam with my blueberries and honey from my bees and once sealed it had a listed storage life of 10 years.)

As for night time drifter spawning, drifters spawn from tall grass and caves. You can do a few things. Sleeping skips a lot of time, and will give them less time to spawn in what is left of the night. You can also use a scythe to cut the grass, and it won't ever grow back unless you replace the dirt blocks or do some serious landscaping. You can also settle in an area that is naturally barren, like the gravel and sand deserts, those don't see many night time spawns. For the stone age we got a hut up quickly on a hill by building the walls out of granite cobble we stole from nearby ruins. We used a gap around the door that we could easily jump but the drifters couldn't, and it kept us safe. You could also plug the door with straw bales, they are easy to break when morning comes. Also a straw bed lets you skip like 4 hours of the night, and that helps too. When I go out adventuring I usually carry an ancient bed with me, which you can find in ruins. That lets me sleep for seven and a half hours, and then I just keep moving during dawn and hardly ever run into trouble.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

You've caught my interest, but how finished does this game feel for an early access title?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I can't really answer that because my first thought is more finished than minecraft felt when I got it. I realize now that wasn't very finished at all.

There is a lot left on the road map, but this is probably the sirt of game thats going to constantly see new things.

Really comes down to how you feel about the completion of other voxely games, I think the perpetual in development thing is a part of a lot of them. (looking at you, 7 days to die)

Its also sandbox, so it also comes down to how you feel about those games as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
this game fuckin' rips. thanks to y'all for bringing my attention to it.