Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

For better or worse, the Secret Identity trope has been part of the superhero genre since the very beginning, and as such there's been tons and tons of scenes that involve it - from Ben Urich telling Peter Parker "I'm an award-winning investigative journalist, and we've worked side by side for over a decade - it's a little insulting to think I wouldn't know", to Barry Allen shocking Wally West out of catatonia by unmasking on live TV for a single frame, to Matt Murdock claiming that Daredevil is his twin brother Mike, to Zatanna disguising herself as a Red Cross volunteer named "Evig Doolb", to Archie mindwiping Veronica, to Steve Rogers and Tony Stark going public post-9/11, to Oliver Queen screaming "CLARRRRRRRRRRRK" while stuck on a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean with his dying son.

Post your favorite moments that depend on the concept of secret identities: someone revealing it, or discovering that it's already known, or going to insane lengths to hide it, or whatever.

To start with: Tommy Monaghan vs Kyle Rayner.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Nice to see Sean Philips is still getting work.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
There were a few nice ones in the recent Superman: Heroes one-shot, which dealt with the aftermath of Clark Kent outing himself.

I really like the Booster Gold scene and the bit with Clark's highschool teacher, but I'll share the first half of a longer sequence:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Not a comic but still relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgCkmUS1IYI

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
There's always this beauty...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Matt Murdoch is not Daredevil:

Seriously, he's not:

I have no idea where you would even get that idea from:

I repeat, Matt Murdoch is not..

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This is my favorite reveal of a secret identity:

A Good Time
Dec 20, 2015

Secret identities distilled down to two pure panels then hit on the head with a brick

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I posted:

Zatanna disguising herself as a Red Cross volunteer named "Evig Doolb"

the Daily Planet was holding a blood drive, and they didn't respect their employees' bodily autonomy so Clark Kent wasn't allowed to say "no, I don't want to donate blood" (because syringes would shatter on superskin).

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Baron von der Loon posted:

There's always this beauty...

What's that from?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Injustice year 1.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
No idea where this came from, I found it forever ago.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Nipponophile posted:

No idea where this came from, I found it forever ago.

This rules though, I hope somebody can identify it. I couldn't turn up a thing.

Edit: Superman Annual #9, from 1983! Gorgeous Alex Toth pencils and a characteristically weird and quirky Elliot S! Maggin bit of business. It all makes sense now!

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 7, 2020

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
One of my favorite comments on the idea:

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
I already posted this in the funny panels thread but it also works here. From The Magnificent Ms. Marvel #11, Kamala's new costume (which she got on another planet) has gained sentience and rebelled against her.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Not comic panels but here's a few classic animated ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMfV_bhWQ0k&t=177s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bfBhIM5tb4

Bonus not-as-classic-but-funny: Outing a superhero to themselves (mindwiped)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msccE5DzsUU&t=50s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IKE4_2HSWg

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Gonna add some more classic animated reveals to the pile:

https://youtu.be/a04xWjjgqos?t=244

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijFYZZWnYFY

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

A pretty great one was the reveal in Amazing Spider-Man that Mary Jane knew Peter's identity. I don't have the scans handy, but I'll post 'em if I find 'em.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Related to that, Amazing Spider-Man #400:

Of course that turns out to be an actress playing Aunt May to gently caress with Peter because Norman Osborn something something Clone Saga, but that was clearly not the intent in this scene and it works fine.

Honestly though, I kind of love Aunt May finding out in JMS' Spidey #37 and #38

The follow up goes through so many emotions and really feels like them working through something that's been years in the making, not just "yeah we did that all off screen and we're 100% cool"

May's stoic attempt to process the revelation, realizing as things fall into place in her mind

May's confrontation with Peter, and his look of horror

May's anger and sadness that Peter hid this for so many years, lying to her face, and Peter's acceptance that it's time to deal with this

They talk through things, and May tells Peter about how she's held up to a lot over the years, and this isn't what it would take to break her after everything else

And their reconciliation, both of them affirming that they're still family, and they will always love each other

Plus them finally being able to talk about this without dancing around the issue, and the way it's clear this is, as Peter puts it, a weight off their shoulders

I feel like that's the way to do a big reveal like that. It's quick to make a meaningful scene where it turns out the character always knew so you get to get back to the story. I feel like the way they devote half an issue to Aunt May processing it, though, and then a full issue of Peter and May talking about it, makes it feel really powerful.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Originally Thor shared a body with frail doctor Donald Blake, but eventually Odin used that magic to let Beta Ray Bill look like what a normal person from his alien species looked like, so Thor needed a new secret identity, thankfully he knows Nick Fury

(apologies that these are from the mediocre recolor, it's what Marvel Unlimited has)

Thor Vol. 1 #341

Nick even hooks him up with a job at his cousin Jerry's construction site, but after Sigurd Jarlson rescues a woman falling from some scaffolding Jerry gets suspicious.

Thor Vol 1. #342

Uh oh, Jerry's cracked the mystery

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 15, 2020

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

From Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #6 (2017)

Spider-Man has agreed to a one hour sit down interview over dinner with J. Jonah Jameson in return for information that Jameson has on someone of importance to Spider-Man.

Tiring of the games and back and forth name-calling Spider-Man tries to leave again, this time Jameson give him the information he wanted first in order that he promises to stay. While revealing the information to Spider-Man Jameson also figures out another major piece of info Spider-Man was overlooking. Spidey then gets up to leave after this revelation but Jameson says if he backs out now after Jameson helped him as he said he would then everything Jameson ever said about him was true. Spider-Man reluctantly sits back down.

They rehash their history and their ups and downs over the years. Jameson claims his hatred has always been about the mask and nothing but the mask. He said it made Spider-Man a coward. They continue to go back and forth and Spider-Man makes one joke too many.

Jonah is now completely broken.

Jonah doesn't have much time to process this though as thoughtlessly he had mentioned on his blog that he and Spider-Man would be having an interview at his apartment over dinner and right after this the place is overrun with agents looking for Spider-Man. Jonah covers for him and later when Spider-Man is on the run he helps him get away after he had been shot.

Jonah now considers himself to be Peter's partner and they have had many adventures together, including a disastrous jaunt through time. Peter is adjusting as well as he can.

X-O fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 15, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's not really a good couple of panels or even pages to sum it all up, but Bendis' whole Daredevil arc with him being publicly outed is really good and deals with secret identities in a way that I don't think any other comic has really done before or since. It starts in Daredevil Vol 2. #26 if you want to read it, but I do absolutely love the cover of issue #32

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Skwirl posted:

There's not really a good couple of panels or even pages to sum it all up, but Bendis' whole Daredevil arc with him being publicly outed is really good and deals with secret identities in a way that I don't think any other comic has really done before or since. It starts in Daredevil Vol 2. #26 if you want to read it, but I do absolutely love the cover of issue #32

Bendis outing Daredevil is kind of the big one for me, because he's not just a regular guy -- as an attorney, he has ethical considerations to follow. That was a huge, character-redefining moment, and it had ramifications through Brubaker, Waid, and Soule's Daredevil runs that followed.

I hyped this last summer, but if anyone is interested, I wrote a law review article about legal issues in Daredevil comics, with lots of analysis of Matt Murdock's outing, his repeated (lying) denials, the comeuppance he received, how Soule eventually solved the entire problem, and all the legal ramifications involved.

It's long, and way more boring than the comics themselves, but here's the link, just in case:
https://www.capitallawreview.org/ar...-legal-practice

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Bendis outing Daredevil is kind of the big one for me, because he's not just a regular guy -- as an attorney, he has ethical considerations to follow. That was a huge, character-redefining moment, and it had ramifications through Brubaker, Waid, and Soule's Daredevil runs that followed.

I hyped this last summer, but if anyone is interested, I wrote a law review article about legal issues in Daredevil comics, with lots of analysis of Matt Murdock's outing, his repeated (lying) denials, the comeuppance he received, how Soule eventually solved the entire problem, and all the legal ramifications involved.

It's long, and way more boring than the comics themselves, but here's the link, just in case:
https://www.capitallawreview.org/ar...-legal-practice

I honestly think Bendis' Daredevil is the best run on the character ever, better than Born Again or the rest of Frank Miller's stuff. Might be the best street level Marvel book ever, at least post Silver age.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I honestly think Bendis' Daredevil is the best run on the character ever, better than Born Again or the rest of Frank Miller's stuff. Might be the best street level Marvel book ever, at least post Silver age.

Bendis' run as a whole easily beats Miller's original late '70s/early '80s run, which was hugely influential, but I don't think it has aged well.

That said, I don't think there's a single story arc in Bendis' run that stands alone as perfectly and unforgettably as "Born Again." Even the "Out" story arc blends into everything else that follows, which isn't a bad thing, but "Born Again" is maybe my favorite Marvel story arc (as opposed to a writer's full run) ever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0QVvbhMm24

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
both end scenes from the tom holland spidey movies are good

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Pull up an image of someone who resembles Daredevil, a.k.a the Greg Land method.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

How Wonderful! posted:

There were a few nice ones in the recent Superman: Heroes one-shot, which dealt with the aftermath of Clark Kent outing himself.

I thought I was done with Matt Fraction and I've never, ever liked Jimmy Olsen, so it's refreshing to be proven wrong about two things at once

It's not from comics but I always thought this scene from World's Finest is a wonderfully succinct addressing of this dynamic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5nUsa8ZLm4

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

I thought I was done with Matt Fraction and I've never, ever liked Jimmy Olsen, so it's refreshing to be proven wrong about two things at once

It's not from comics but I always thought this scene from World's Finest is a wonderfully succinct addressing of this dynamic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5nUsa8ZLm4

There's so many things wrong with the first half of that, that Bruce Timm talks about it if you have the DVD with commentary.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

For those of us without the DVD, wanna give?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Boxman posted:

For those of us without the DVD, wanna give?

Batman physically throwing Superman anywhere, that nightclub apparently makes their drinking glasses out of some sort clear lead.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Batman physically throwing Superman anywhere, that nightclub apparently makes their drinking glasses out of some sort clear lead.

Superman lets Batman throw him because he feels bad for Batman.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Skwirl posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_glass

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Skwirl posted:

I loved this run and this is one of my favorite sections from it:

ItsDisposable posted:

Secret identities distilled down to two pure panels then hit on the head with a brick

Uncle Moley :negative:

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Silver Age DC really loved wallowing around in the secret identity muck. Borgonia's mandatory Superman costumes are ridiculous enough as is (no, I have no idea what happens in the story, just the cover), but having them threaten Clark Kent puts it over the top.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

It seems like half of those Silver Age Superman stories were all about Superman messing with people to keep his secret identity.

Kurt Busiek did a great riff on this in Astro City where the Lois Lane character’s schemes got so elaborate and out of hand that the Superman analog just hosed off to another universe rather than keep up the charade.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Parahexavoctal posted:

Silver Age DC really loved wallowing around in the secret identity muck. Borgonia's mandatory Superman costumes are ridiculous enough as is (no, I have no idea what happens in the story, just the cover), but having them threaten Clark Kent puts it over the top.

I wonder if that coupon’s still good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Splint Chesthair posted:

It seems like half of those Silver Age Superman stories were all about Superman messing with people to keep his secret identity.

Kurt Busiek did a great riff on this in Astro City where the Lois Lane character’s schemes got so elaborate and out of hand that the Superman analog just hosed off to another universe rather than keep up the charade.

Busiek did a whole bunch of great stuff with secret identities, including the bit where a random henchman learns Jack-in-the-Box's secret identity and then realizes that any attempt to monetize it will get him killed, so he leaves town forever.

" 'All Around the Mulberry Bush' keeps playing in my head. Ka-plink... ka-plink... ka-plinkety-plink."