Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I've always liked this piece of fanart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

lifg posted:

I've always liked this piece of fanart.

And rightfully so!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Chris "MightyGodKing" Bird" posted:

Action Comics #309 is noteworthy among Silver Age Superman comics. The story is nothing particularly out-of-the-ordinary – your usual “Superman is being celebrated by the public and Lois/Lana use the opportunity to try and prove that he is also Clark Kent but he comes up with a clever method of fooling them” story. (The fact that a trope this complex is a stock Superman plot is one of the many things that is gloriously weird about the Silver Age.) Lois and Lana are prepared for all of Superman’s previous tricks and eliminate Superman Robots, Batman posing as Clark Kent, Chameleon Boy of the Legion of Super-Heroes shapeshifting into Superman, etc., by process of elimination.

But despite all of this, Superman and Clark Kent manage to appear in the same room, and naturally the secret is revealed in the final page of the story:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
...and that is why Kennedy had to die.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 16, 2020

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

...and that is why Kennedy and to die.

That issue went on sale in late November 1963, only a few days after Dallas. Must have been an awkward time around the DC offices.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Selachian posted:

That issue went on sale in late November 1963, only a few days after Dallas. Must have been an awkward time around the DC offices.

So really what we have here is further evidence for the "zero gunmen" theory.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ragnar34 posted:

So really what we have here is further evidence for the "zero gunmen" theory.

God dammit Barry

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Amazing Spider-Man 258

Couldn't find the rest of the issue (or the one before it), but I think this gets the point across pretty well.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Why do they have a full size Native American Cigar Store statue?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kalli posted:

Why do they have a full size Native American Cigar Store statue?

A punch of Peter's friends threw him a housewarming party when he moved into his new apartment (MJ was elsewhere - she'd been shuffled out of the book at that point). One of the 'gifts' he received (along with I think a giant teddy bear and a bunch of toasters and lamps of dubious functionality) was that statue. I guess somebody else saw a chance to offload it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Seems like a bad thing to keep around as a super hero. The odds of it coming to life and trying to kill you or a loved one at some point has to be near 100%, and then end up as a 'very unfortunate comic issues from the olden days' article on some blog.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kalli posted:

Seems like a bad thing to keep around as a super hero. The odds of it coming to life and trying to kill you or a loved one at some point has to be near 100%, and then end up as a 'very unfortunate comic issues from the olden days' article on some blog.

He was dating Felicia at the time, so I guess he figured it'd be OK?

I know it went away eventually, but I don't remember when or how. I think his partment building got set on fire? It was gone when Peter & MJ moved in together after the wedding, I believe, but that was 40 issues later.

Maybe he just passed on the cursestatue to somebody else.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lessee, that was before inferno. so if he still had the statue by the time inferno happened, it definitely came to life and murdered people.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

How often do villains have secret identities? I'm thinking in particular of the time that the Red Skull managed to become Secretary of Defense as "Dell Rusk".

Weren't there a few Spider-Man villains for whom their identities were a Startling Revelation?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Batman leans into that in some of the better stories, since his schtick was “the world’s greatest detective”. Of course, that leads to weird stuff like The Long Halloween where the authors clearly didn’t know where they were really going with it and the reveal makes no sense in light of a few of the earlier clues.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Parahexavoctal posted:

How often do villains have secret identities? I'm thinking in particular of the time that the Red Skull managed to become Secretary of Defense as "Dell Rusk".

Weren't there a few Spider-Man villains for whom their identities were a Startling Revelation?

Both Green Goblin and Hobgoblin had a significant amount of mystery surrounding their identities, although the original resolution of the Hobgoblin stuff was a huge messy casualty of editorial interference and creative turnover.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Parahexavoctal posted:

I'm thinking in particular of the time that the Red Skull managed to become Secretary of Defense as "Dell Rusk".

loving what

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's an interesting question but I'd ask what constitutes a secret identity for villains, because when we think of them for heroes they are an ongoing thing but afaik for villains there's always a moment of reveal. Are you asking if there's ever been a villain who's true identity has never been revealed to the hero characters? Like, recently in immortal hulk it was revealed that Rick Jones is actually the leader, is that a secret identity?

^^^^ red skull has done that several times iirc because he's always using masks to cover up his face... Or telepathically taking over other people's bodies

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

How Wonderful! posted:

Both Green Goblin and Hobgoblin had a significant amount of mystery surrounding their identities, although the original resolution of the Hobgoblin stuff was a huge messy casualty of editorial interference and creative turnover.

There's also the one that's currently going on that's supposed to be a huge shock but the internet has been calling it as Pre-Brand New Day Harry Osborn since like his second appearance.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

site posted:

That's an interesting question but I'd ask what constitutes a secret identity for villains, because when we think of them for heroes they are an ongoing thing but afaik for villains there's always a moment of reveal.

I think that for as divisive as "Planet X" was and as clumsily as the character was handled post-Morrison, the actual issue that reveals Xorn's secret was really well paced and does a killer job of setting up a mounting sense of dread. I remember reading that issue when it was new and my hands shaking by the last page.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

loving what

Uh huh. It was during the Geoff Johns run on Avengers. See, "Dell Rusk" is an anagram of "Red Skull," and it was all so terribly clever.

There was also a big mystery over who the Teen Titans villain Wildebeest really was, which ended in a long, wet fart during the "Titans Hunt" storyline. It was Jericho.

And, of course, Monarch.

How Wonderful! posted:

I think that for as divisive as "Planet X" was and as clumsily as the character was handled post-Morrison, the actual issue that reveals Xorn's secret was really well paced and does a killer job of setting up a mounting sense of dread. I remember reading that issue when it was new and my hands shaking by the last page.

"Mister Xorn ... why is that map upside down?"

Selachian fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 6, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I want to say that in Astro city there was a villain who no one knew the identity of until after they died but I could be mixing that up with some other book

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

MorningMoon posted:

loving what

"Well, there's no record of you having existed before last week, but we'll assume the President knew what he was doing when he nominated you. Congratulations, Secretary Rusk."

"Thank you, Senator McConnell."

Which reminds me of Black Condor. As an infant, he was the sole survivor of a plane crash in the desert, after which he was raised by condors who taught him to fly like them. Years later, there was another plane crash in the desert, and everyone on board was killed, including a US Senator who happened to be the exact double of the man who had been raised by condors.

So the nameless condor man took the identity of the Senator and rejoined civilization, where he fought villains as the Black Condor while also serving in the Senate.

In an amazing case of nominative determinism, Black Condor's first appearance was in "Crack Comics".

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
It was goofier than that - The senator didn't die in a plane crash. Condor had already rejoined human society and was investigating an assassination plot against the senator, failed to stop it, and then just sort of shrugged and decided "Welp, guess I'll take over the victim's life!"

Eh, maybe that's acceptable in condor society, I don't know how they handle these situations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
If you can’t save ‘em, become them.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Selachian posted:

And, of course, Monarch.

I know you meant "Monarch, the 90s DC villain". But in my head I initially read it as "the Monarch, butterfly-themed nemesis for Rusty Venture." Because he did have a really excellent secret identity reveal himself.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Ponsonby Britt posted:

I know you meant "Monarch, the 90s DC villain". But in my head I initially read it as "the Monarch, butterfly-themed nemesis for Rusty Venture." Because he did have a really excellent secret identity reveal himself.

Rest in Peace, Blue Morpho

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Angry Salami posted:

It was goofier than that - The senator didn't die in a plane crash. Condor had already rejoined human society and was investigating an assassination plot against the senator, failed to stop it, and then just sort of shrugged and decided "Welp, guess I'll take over the victim's life!"

Eh, maybe that's acceptable in condor society, I don't know how they handle these situations.

They are scavengers, taking things from dead people is kind of their thing really.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I keep thinking of this dude

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

I keep thinking of this dude

What was his secret identity?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Parahexavoctal posted:

What was his secret identity?

You mean you don't know??? ˇPlop!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

How Wonderful! posted:

The Xorn reveal was absolutely loving incredible, the high watermark of Morrison's run on X-Men (which I absolutely adored all of).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Followed very closely by the worst moment.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Jerusalem posted:

The Xorn reveal was absolutely loving incredible, the high watermark of Morrison's run on X-Men (which I absolutely adored all of).

I love that he makes sure to stand with a 'MAGNETO WAS RIGHT' poster behind him for the bit. Just completely committed.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

For most of the semester I assume he had a little notecard taped on next to it so it said "MAGNETO WAS A FRIGHT." Every day Professor X walked by and nodded solemnly.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Jerusalem posted:

When did Morrison get kicked off? I remember the Xorn reveal being cool, but then the next arc was poo poo garbage as everything gets wrapped up as quickly as possible because Magneto (are we spoiling this still?) makes a bunch of idiot moves completely out of character. And yes, I've heard the "he's out of touch!" explanation, but he just wrapped up a multi-arc plot where he's a teacher reaching out to troubled mutant teenagers (successfully!), and a person with the emotional intelligence required to do that is an entirely different person than what we got after the reveal.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's been a long time since I read it, but if I remember correctly Magneto was using a drug (which itself was generated by a mutant, or actually the mutant WAS the drug? I can't exactly remember) that upped his powers but made him dangerously unstable mentally which was the explanation for why he was pulling the dumb poo poo?

That was the wrap-up of Morrison's time on the series I believe, and I think it was less than a single issue later that they'd completely removed every new setup he'd created and reset things to the standard X-Men status quo from before Morrison's time on the series. I think House of M and then No More Mutants was not long after that?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

It's been a long time since I read it, but if I remember correctly Magneto was using a drug (which itself was generated by a mutant, or actually the mutant WAS the drug? I can't exactly remember) that upped his powers but made him dangerously unstable mentally which was the explanation for why he was pulling the dumb poo poo?

That was the wrap-up of Morrison's time on the series I believe, and I think it was less than a single issue later that they'd completely removed every new setup he'd created and reset things to the standard X-Men status quo from before Morrison's time on the series. I think House of M and then No More Mutants was not long after that?

One of the details they kept was - appropriately enough given the thread - Xavier outing himself to the world as a mutant.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Morrison wasn't kicked off, as far as I know. He told the story he wanted to tell, and, yes, Magneto went from smart, conniving fake-Xorn to murder-happy New York destroyer over the course of a couple issues. This was followed up by Chuck loving Austen getting exactly two issues of New X-Men before the "New" was removed from the name again, in which he missed the mark on what Morrison was trying to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

"Planet X" was the next to last arc on Morrison's run -- he ended with "Here Comes Tomorrow," which wasn't really that good anyway.

And yes, "Planet X" was almost immediately retconned away by Claremont over in Excalibur.