Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Originally Thor shared a body with frail doctor Donald Blake, but eventually Odin used that magic to let Beta Ray Bill look like what a normal person from his alien species looked like, so Thor needed a new secret identity, thankfully he knows Nick Fury

(apologies that these are from the mediocre recolor, it's what Marvel Unlimited has)

Thor Vol. 1 #341

Nick even hooks him up with a job at his cousin Jerry's construction site, but after Sigurd Jarlson rescues a woman falling from some scaffolding Jerry gets suspicious.

Thor Vol 1. #342

Uh oh, Jerry's cracked the mystery

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's not really a good couple of panels or even pages to sum it all up, but Bendis' whole Daredevil arc with him being publicly outed is really good and deals with secret identities in a way that I don't think any other comic has really done before or since. It starts in Daredevil Vol 2. #26 if you want to read it, but I do absolutely love the cover of issue #32

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Bendis outing Daredevil is kind of the big one for me, because he's not just a regular guy -- as an attorney, he has ethical considerations to follow. That was a huge, character-redefining moment, and it had ramifications through Brubaker, Waid, and Soule's Daredevil runs that followed.

I hyped this last summer, but if anyone is interested, I wrote a law review article about legal issues in Daredevil comics, with lots of analysis of Matt Murdock's outing, his repeated (lying) denials, the comeuppance he received, how Soule eventually solved the entire problem, and all the legal ramifications involved.

It's long, and way more boring than the comics themselves, but here's the link, just in case:
https://www.capitallawreview.org/ar...-legal-practice

I honestly think Bendis' Daredevil is the best run on the character ever, better than Born Again or the rest of Frank Miller's stuff. Might be the best street level Marvel book ever, at least post Silver age.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0QVvbhMm24

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

I thought I was done with Matt Fraction and I've never, ever liked Jimmy Olsen, so it's refreshing to be proven wrong about two things at once

It's not from comics but I always thought this scene from World's Finest is a wonderfully succinct addressing of this dynamic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5nUsa8ZLm4

There's so many things wrong with the first half of that, that Bruce Timm talks about it if you have the DVD with commentary.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Boxman posted:

For those of us without the DVD, wanna give?

Batman physically throwing Superman anywhere, that nightclub apparently makes their drinking glasses out of some sort clear lead.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Selachian posted:

"Planet X" was the next to last arc on Morrison's run -- he ended with "Here Comes Tomorrow," which wasn't really that good anyway.

And yes, "Planet X" was almost immediately retconned away by Claremont over in Excalibur.

I think Whedon's run on Astonishing was next and also undid a lot of Morrison's Mutants as a culture stuff.

"We have to dress like super heroes," etc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Why is X-Men like this

Ultimately, it's all Claremont's fault.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

it's fine, and even before Morrison's Weapon Plus stuff the history of Weapon X was incredibly convoluted and self contradictory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yes, because Powers of 10 is backed up in story with vignettes taking place in years 1, 10, 100, 1000 of the XMen.

Though, personally, I do like the idea that the Weapon projects are numbered. Skirts around the minor issue of the program naming itself after the X gene before it was codified and called that in universe.

Plus (hehe), of all the seemingly endless retcons that have happened to the Weapon X project, turning it into the Weapon Plus program can't even be in the top half of the dumbest ones.