Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Related to that, Amazing Spider-Man #400:

Of course that turns out to be an actress playing Aunt May to gently caress with Peter because Norman Osborn something something Clone Saga, but that was clearly not the intent in this scene and it works fine.

Honestly though, I kind of love Aunt May finding out in JMS' Spidey #37 and #38

The follow up goes through so many emotions and really feels like them working through something that's been years in the making, not just "yeah we did that all off screen and we're 100% cool"

May's stoic attempt to process the revelation, realizing as things fall into place in her mind

May's confrontation with Peter, and his look of horror

May's anger and sadness that Peter hid this for so many years, lying to her face, and Peter's acceptance that it's time to deal with this

They talk through things, and May tells Peter about how she's held up to a lot over the years, and this isn't what it would take to break her after everything else

And their reconciliation, both of them affirming that they're still family, and they will always love each other

Plus them finally being able to talk about this without dancing around the issue, and the way it's clear this is, as Peter puts it, a weight off their shoulders

I feel like that's the way to do a big reveal like that. It's quick to make a meaningful scene where it turns out the character always knew so you get to get back to the story. I feel like the way they devote half an issue to Aunt May processing it, though, and then a full issue of Peter and May talking about it, makes it feel really powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU