Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

...and that is why Kennedy and to die.

That issue went on sale in late November 1963, only a few days after Dallas. Must have been an awkward time around the DC offices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

loving what

Uh huh. It was during the Geoff Johns run on Avengers. See, "Dell Rusk" is an anagram of "Red Skull," and it was all so terribly clever.

There was also a big mystery over who the Teen Titans villain Wildebeest really was, which ended in a long, wet fart during the "Titans Hunt" storyline. It was Jericho.

And, of course, Monarch.

How Wonderful! posted:

I think that for as divisive as "Planet X" was and as clumsily as the character was handled post-Morrison, the actual issue that reveals Xorn's secret was really well paced and does a killer job of setting up a mounting sense of dread. I remember reading that issue when it was new and my hands shaking by the last page.

"Mister Xorn ... why is that map upside down?"

Selachian fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 6, 2020

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

It's been a long time since I read it, but if I remember correctly Magneto was using a drug (which itself was generated by a mutant, or actually the mutant WAS the drug? I can't exactly remember) that upped his powers but made him dangerously unstable mentally which was the explanation for why he was pulling the dumb poo poo?

That was the wrap-up of Morrison's time on the series I believe, and I think it was less than a single issue later that they'd completely removed every new setup he'd created and reset things to the standard X-Men status quo from before Morrison's time on the series. I think House of M and then No More Mutants was not long after that?

"Planet X" was the next to last arc on Morrison's run -- he ended with "Here Comes Tomorrow," which wasn't really that good anyway.

And yes, "Planet X" was almost immediately retconned away by Claremont over in Excalibur.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

MadDogMike posted:

OK, the totality of my familiarity with this whole plotline is just the stuff I gleaned in passing from this vid, is that actually accurate as to how batshit the whole thing is? Seriously, I think X-men might be less of a comic and more of a soap opera stuck in "let's do weird episodes" mode.

Pretty much, although it was more extreme in this case because you had writers fighting over what the status quo of the X-Men should be. Morrison shook things up a lot during his run on New X-Men, and while it can be debated (and has been debated, endlessly) whether his changes were good ideas or too extreme, the more traditional X-Men writers like Claremont and Austen worked fast to heap dirt most of them the moment Morrison moved on.