Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

For better or worse, the Secret Identity trope has been part of the superhero genre since the very beginning, and as such there's been tons and tons of scenes that involve it - from Ben Urich telling Peter Parker "I'm an award-winning investigative journalist, and we've worked side by side for over a decade - it's a little insulting to think I wouldn't know", to Barry Allen shocking Wally West out of catatonia by unmasking on live TV for a single frame, to Matt Murdock claiming that Daredevil is his twin brother Mike, to Zatanna disguising herself as a Red Cross volunteer named "Evig Doolb", to Archie mindwiping Veronica, to Steve Rogers and Tony Stark going public post-9/11, to Oliver Queen screaming "CLARRRRRRRRRRRK" while stuck on a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean with his dying son.

Post your favorite moments that depend on the concept of secret identities: someone revealing it, or discovering that it's already known, or going to insane lengths to hide it, or whatever.

To start with: Tommy Monaghan vs Kyle Rayner.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I posted:

Zatanna disguising herself as a Red Cross volunteer named "Evig Doolb"

the Daily Planet was holding a blood drive, and they didn't respect their employees' bodily autonomy so Clark Kent wasn't allowed to say "no, I don't want to donate blood" (because syringes would shatter on superskin).

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Batman physically throwing Superman anywhere, that nightclub apparently makes their drinking glasses out of some sort clear lead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_glass

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Silver Age DC really loved wallowing around in the secret identity muck. Borgonia's mandatory Superman costumes are ridiculous enough as is (no, I have no idea what happens in the story, just the cover), but having them threaten Clark Kent puts it over the top.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Splint Chesthair posted:

It seems like half of those Silver Age Superman stories were all about Superman messing with people to keep his secret identity.

Kurt Busiek did a great riff on this in Astro City where the Lois Lane character’s schemes got so elaborate and out of hand that the Superman analog just hosed off to another universe rather than keep up the charade.

Busiek did a whole bunch of great stuff with secret identities, including the bit where a random henchman learns Jack-in-the-Box's secret identity and then realizes that any attempt to monetize it will get him killed, so he leaves town forever.

" 'All Around the Mulberry Bush' keeps playing in my head. Ka-plink... ka-plink... ka-plinkety-plink."

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Chris "MightyGodKing" Bird" posted:

Action Comics #309 is noteworthy among Silver Age Superman comics. The story is nothing particularly out-of-the-ordinary – your usual “Superman is being celebrated by the public and Lois/Lana use the opportunity to try and prove that he is also Clark Kent but he comes up with a clever method of fooling them” story. (The fact that a trope this complex is a stock Superman plot is one of the many things that is gloriously weird about the Silver Age.) Lois and Lana are prepared for all of Superman’s previous tricks and eliminate Superman Robots, Batman posing as Clark Kent, Chameleon Boy of the Legion of Super-Heroes shapeshifting into Superman, etc., by process of elimination.

But despite all of this, Superman and Clark Kent manage to appear in the same room, and naturally the secret is revealed in the final page of the story:

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

How often do villains have secret identities? I'm thinking in particular of the time that the Red Skull managed to become Secretary of Defense as "Dell Rusk".

Weren't there a few Spider-Man villains for whom their identities were a Startling Revelation?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

MorningMoon posted:

loving what

"Well, there's no record of you having existed before last week, but we'll assume the President knew what he was doing when he nominated you. Congratulations, Secretary Rusk."

"Thank you, Senator McConnell."

Which reminds me of Black Condor. As an infant, he was the sole survivor of a plane crash in the desert, after which he was raised by condors who taught him to fly like them. Years later, there was another plane crash in the desert, and everyone on board was killed, including a US Senator who happened to be the exact double of the man who had been raised by condors.

So the nameless condor man took the identity of the Senator and rejoined civilization, where he fought villains as the Black Condor while also serving in the Senate.

In an amazing case of nominative determinism, Black Condor's first appearance was in "Crack Comics".

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

I keep thinking of this dude

What was his secret identity?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

It's been a long time since I read it, but if I remember correctly Magneto was using a drug (which itself was generated by a mutant, or actually the mutant WAS the drug? I can't exactly remember) that upped his powers but made him dangerously unstable mentally which was the explanation for why he was pulling the dumb poo poo?

That was the wrap-up of Morrison's time on the series I believe, and I think it was less than a single issue later that they'd completely removed every new setup he'd created and reset things to the standard X-Men status quo from before Morrison's time on the series. I think House of M and then No More Mutants was not long after that?

One of the details they kept was - appropriately enough given the thread - Xavier outing himself to the world as a mutant.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Chuck loving Austen

secret identity, "Sam Clemens"

(I'm pondering whether to do a Worldwatch thread)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Selachian posted:

Uh huh. It was during the Geoff Johns run on Avengers. See, "Dell Rusk" is an anagram of "Red Skull," and it was all so terribly clever.

There was also a big mystery over who the Teen Titans villain Wildebeest really was, which ended in a long, wet fart during the "Titans Hunt" storyline. It was Jericho.

And, of course, Monarch.

It has been almost thirty years and I am still pissed off about that. It was worse than Identity Crisis, because at least Meltzer had the culprit's identity planned from the beginning, and stuck with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

who remembers Milestone Comics?

who remembers their "Worlds Collide" crossover with DC - specifically, the Superman books?

Some members of Blood Syndicate ("they're not a team, they're a gang") are talking about the weird events resulting from, basically, a god tearing a hole between universes.

"Some people are saying they saw Superman flying around."

"Superman?! Like on television?"

"Like on television."

This eventually leads to a confrontation between Superman and Blood Syndicate, with the following exchange:

"Who are you people!"

"Who the gently caress are you! Does your momma know you left the house looking like Clark Kent?!"