Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Hi everyone, it's fish sandwich season! I guess this is due to Lent. I'm not Catholic so I don't know the ins and outs (like, I thought why not promote chicken, but it turns out it's considered meat. Fish is not. Okay!) Anyway, I don't eat fish unless it is fried up and on a bun, preferably dripping with tartar sauce and right now every place has them on sale until Easter. This time is vital for me and Omega-3 levels.

What's the best fast food fish? How will you celebrate sandwiches this Lenten season? Also, why doesn't tartar sauce show up on more food? It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Krystal's has a fish slider now. What the gently caress?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently, you aren't supposed to eat the skin anymore? That is the best part.

Oh, sandwich. Put skin in there too.

The question is to blacken the fish or tarter for some more savory flavour. My opinion? Don't go to Phillips for fast food and never try to blacken fish in your kitchen.

To sum up, no loving Fish Mcflay.

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 26, 2020

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
theres a long john silvers near me but im kind of afraid to go there ngl

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
don't eat the fish at LJS's or Captain D's. it's disgustingly greasy.

Arby's and Wendy's have good fast food fish sammos

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The bun, tartar sauce, and cheese all combine to make the McDonald's Fliet-O-Fish the best one of the bunch.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

Jose Oquendo posted:

The bun, tartar sauce, and cheese all combine to make the McDonald's Fliet-O-Fish the best one of the bunch.

it's ok this time of year when it's on sale, all other times of year it is MASSIVELY overpriced

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Conventional wisdom says fish and cheese do not go together. How did they do this?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

look, if you want good fried fish, you go to the source: Wisconsin fish fry. that's why Culver's has the best fried fish sandwich. or just go hog wild and get the whole fish fry instead which is great, you get cod (or walleye at some places!) and two sides and a dinner roll hell yeah

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
the blackened catfish sandwich at Cracker Barrel is the only thing I actually enjoy eating there. only vaguely fast food related though

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Wendy's is the answer IMO.

Also the one I just got is hotter than the core of the sun.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
The McFishFillet is where its at. And for everyone who lives near the westcoast; fish tacos are where its at

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

ferroque posted:

Conventional wisdom says fish and cheese do not go together. How did they do this?

Nah. I have a pretty good recipe for a baked haddock that uses cheese. It's good.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

ferroque posted:

arby's has a new fish and cheddar apparently? I was going to try it the other day before fleeing in an act of cowardice (there was some altercation happening at the drive-thru window). it's alchemy. when the fish is fried, cheese is okay. I don't think you'd want it on a swordfish steak.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Tuna melts are good.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

sean10mm posted:

Wendy's is the answer IMO.

Also the one I just got is hotter than the core of the sun.

Yum! Fresh out of the microwave.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
all fast food fish sandwiches blow.

also the mcdonalds filet o fish song is a loving violation of the geneva conventions.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Torquemada posted:

Tuna melts are good.

god tier diner food

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
the McFish, or whatever it is actually called, is cool because it is so small and mushy that you can cram the entire thing into your gaping maw at once, Groundhog-Day style

you don't even really need to chew it at all, its like McD's is a mother bird regurgitating pre-chewed food directly into your mouth like the caring and loving hen-sparrow that they are

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Crusty Nutsack posted:

look, if you want good fried fish, you go to the source: Wisconsin fish fry. that's why Culver's has the best fried fish sandwich. or just go hog wild and get the whole fish fry instead which is great, you get cod (or walleye at some places!) and two sides and a dinner roll hell yeah

We're spoiled. We have fish fry's every Friday year round at ever bar in sight.

I had a filet-o-fish from McDonald's a few months ago. I don't know why, I don't like fish sandwiches. It was bad. It tasted very fishy. The bad kind.

Zippy the Bummer posted:

the McFish, or whatever it is actually called, is cool because it is so small and mushy that you can cram the entire thing into your gaping maw at once, Groundhog-Day style

you don't even really need to chew it at all, its like McD's is a mother bird regurgitating pre-chewed food directly into your mouth like the caring and loving hen-sparrow that they are

This is true. If not for the bun I could have swallowed the thing whole and not have to chew at all. It was gross.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 27, 2020

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Del Taco fish tacos where they use breaded fish and it's probably a million calories. I like the McDonald's fish sandwich, but for what you get for the price it feels like a ripoff.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

In-season, local fried walleye is the best fried fish. That is all. Hold the bun if you want.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Wall-eye is my go to. But I'll take catfish if it's offered. I really like that stuff now. I don't see it offered much. It's mostly just cod, perch, and walleye.

No bun. Just a lot of lemon and tartar sauce. Side of coleslaw. Maybe a potato or other vegetables.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
The Filet-o-Fish is great. A double Filet-o-Fish is great. A triple or more and it begins to suck.

This wasn't so great - they didnt put sauce between every fillet-o.

Also good its a combined Filet-o-fish and Cheeseburger, take the top off one and stick it to the bottom of the other. Nice.

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 27, 2020

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

A Grand Egg posted:

The Filet-o-Fish is great. A double Filet-o-Fish is great. A triple or more and it begins to suck.

This wasn't so great - they didnt put sauce between every fillet-o.

Also good its a combined Filet-o-fish and Cheeseburger, take the top off one and stick it to the bottom of the other. Nice.

whoa, I didn't know this was possible. was it a special order? I would have been disappointed at the lack of tar tar though

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

whoa, I didn't know this was possible. was it a special order? I would have been disappointed at the lack of tar tar though

Self service touch screens, they cant stop you making whatever you want. Pretty sure I ordered extra sauce, but it wasn't distributed well. It cost ~AU$11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Gi1kab-qQ

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 27, 2020

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.
I need me some feesh.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Drive through fish sandwiches? Arby’s 2 for $6

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Not exactly fast food but my local grocery store does like $5 friday deals and this time of year they offer a four piece of battered cod that is amazing.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Whenever I ask for a fish sandwich I always ask for extra tartar sauce/remoulade.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Torquemada posted:

Tuna melts are good.

gently caress yeah they are :hf: i love tuna melts

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Is Mcdonald's doing a discount on fish sandwiches this year? I can't find any info about it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

skooma512 posted:

Is Mcdonald's doing a discount on fish sandwiches this year? I can't find any info about it.

A lot of their poo poo's been regional. The McDs here just started 2 for 5.

There's something about the steamed bun that makes it such an interesting texture that I like. I usually add shredded lettuce to mine for a bit of crunch.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
gently caress shredded lettuce on hot sammos

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

A lot of their poo poo's been regional. The McDs here just started 2 for 5.

There's something about the steamed bun that makes it such an interesting texture that I like. I usually add shredded lettuce to mine for a bit of crunch.

Yeah, it's here as well (Mountain West, I guess.)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Zippy the Bummer posted:

I like it on the Big Mac. They always over do it and I have a small salad with big mac sauce left over in the container.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I like it on the Big Mac. They always over do it and I have a small salad with big mac sauce left over in the container.

this is loving gross

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It's very regal.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah I don't like shredded lettuce that much. I think the big mac is the only thing I see it on and as I said it just all falls out which sucks (I don't eat the big mac sauce salad thing I mentioned). Wendy's actually uses normal big and crunchy lettuce. Burger King has wet and soggy lettuce. That's not so good.