Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

This was a hilarious episode, Charles' attraction to Ryan, Karen's first lady haircut, Nathan's self deprecating cannibal jokes, all great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
That Totopotus commercial was fantastic, how is that not on YouTube? I'd love to share it with people.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Probably my favorite episode the season so far. I think Matt is starting to grate on me a little. I'm a fan of Zach Woods but that is a character better served in smaller doses.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, I feel like someone constantly saying he's going to kill people wouldn't just be treated as a wacky rascal.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, I feel like someone constantly saying he's going to kill people wouldn't just be treated as a wacky rascal.

And yet, :sad:

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Cojawfee posted:

Most everyone seems fine with a confessed cannibal and were even willing to make him Dictator so I can believe it. I do think Matt is about to cross some lines very soon where people start taking his nonsense seriously instead of just being his random personality quirks.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Incredible how the episode mentioning "Dusty Musk" releases in the midst of Elon Musk's inevitable death spiral. Terrible, terrible timing, albeit a fantastic piece of worldbuilding. I would vote for Matt. I would also vote for Knockoff Sweet Dee.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
“Just pretend that from the age of 3, you only saw your parents at Christmas, and that you have teeth like Stonehenge.”

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm gonna be honest, I was hate watching this show for a while because I have real trouble with Idiocracy-type shows failing to be coy about their subject matter while also being completely illogical - which is extra annoying when it's a sci-fi show being outright wrong about how physics work - but these last two episodes have felt like fresh air compared to the rest of the series in a way that's really turned me around into seeing the comedy for what it is while relaxing on caring any bit about the logic.

Plus Zach Woods is just monsterously good at his job and needs his own comedy to command over.
https://i.imgur.com/Ra470ZN.gifv

Silicon Valley being over is a tragedy purely because we don't get more Zach Woods than what we're given.

Edit: I think Zach Woods would be perfect in some kind of R-rated SNL show, if such a thing existed. He's perfect for sketch comedy because he's not nearly featured enough in anything else.
Edit 2: I didn't really give a good explanation for why I've been hate-watching. It's because of Zach Woods and the music. The composition in this show is genius-level and feels wasted on the subject matter it's used for... and I want as much of it as I can take. There's also the occasional really good joke that keeps me coming back but it's usually centered on Zach Woods. It's a show that swings hard and fast between terrible nonsense and wonderfully addictive. I'm practically fascinated by its existence. This season has been much better because a lot of folks are getting what's coming to them rather than the ultra-idiots failing their way towards success. It feels more just than the previous season. They are weirdly wasting Rav's existence, though. And I miss her weird Great Value David Tenant helper.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 15, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That episode owned.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

BTW definitely calling it but I hope I'm wrong because it's practically too obvious: The missile crashes into the Lithium asteroid providing enough Lithium debris to keep Earth from total societal collapse while also keeping Avenue 5 alive. Well, definitely the latter part, at least.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think this season's taken one or two hard pivots with the characters -- I find Mads in this episode a hard square to circle. Was he always that crazy?

That said, I think this was the best episode of the season. Love all the costumes, working out who'd come dressed as whom (Rav is dressed as the extra who plays herself lmfao). But I guess that's it for the TV show subplot? I was fully expecting them to fly the entire crew out to Avenue 5 and have the functioning crew replaced by them.

Someone needs to fire Iris, holy poo poo. Except she wasn't running a fascist dictatorship, except she was. I'd still fire her anyway, and replace her with... I dunno, Doug and Karen seem to actually be decent at getting things done, if this episode is any indicator.

Oh and VFX lady finally had her moment of being actually right, and everyone ignored her lmfao.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

DaveKap posted:

BTW definitely calling it but I hope I'm wrong because it's practically too obvious: The missile crashes into the Lithium asteroid providing enough Lithium debris to keep Earth from total societal collapse while also keeping Avenue 5 alive. Well, definitely the latter part, at least.
I would rather see the Musk-Zuckerberg-Bessos planet turn to full revolution with Avenue 5 ending up being the last bastion of civilization , run by a cannibal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you peek at the upcoming episode titles the last episode is called "That's why they call it a missile". I can totally see that as a pun after the missile fails to hit Avenue 5.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Someone needs to fire Iris, holy poo poo. Except she wasn't running a fascist dictatorship, except she was. I'd still fire her anyway, and replace her with... I dunno, Doug and Karen seem to actually be decent at getting things done, if this episode is any indicator.

Once you become the chief of a secret police you become impossible to fire. You're the one who knows where the crossbows are.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Glad they didn't kill Ryan but kind of disappointed they didn't have the huevos to kill Ryan

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Iris has never been happier than when she got to activate her secret police.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

nooneofconsequence posted:

Iris has never been happier than when she got to activate her secret police.

Real :3: situation.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Lost my poo poo when Zach Woods and Mads thug handshake in the background lmao

Also the random online quote on the reality TV show "I named my dog after her now I gotta kill her'

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I like that the siren has returned to the score.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

"She is now too dead to play her dead sister" got a good laugh out of me.

I also liked Ryan trying to be his joking and jovial persona and since he is leading what is essentially North Korea in space everyone takes him seriously. It did payoff big time in the costume party.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQCIFTUW9z0
I think listening to the OST w/o even knowing what Avenue 5 is probably kind of a trip. The swing behind super-anxietal and super-chill is enormous and makes for a very entertaining soundtrack. I definitely have to look up Adem's other works.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DaveKap posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I was hate watching this show for a while because I have real trouble with Idiocracy-type shows failing to be coy about their subject matter while also being completely illogical - which is extra annoying when it's a sci-fi show being outright wrong about how physics work - but these last two episodes have felt like fresh air compared to the rest of the series in a way that's really turned me around into seeing the comedy for what it is while relaxing on caring any bit about the logic.

Plus Zach Woods is just monsterously good at his job and needs his own comedy to command over.
https://i.imgur.com/Ra470ZN.gifv

Silicon Valley being over is a tragedy purely because we don't get more Zach Woods than what we're given.

Edit: I think Zach Woods would be perfect in some kind of R-rated SNL show, if such a thing existed. He's perfect for sketch comedy because he's not nearly featured enough in anything else.
Edit 2: I didn't really give a good explanation for why I've been hate-watching. It's because of Zach Woods and the music. The composition in this show is genius-level and feels wasted on the subject matter it's used for... and I want as much of it as I can take. There's also the occasional really good joke that keeps me coming back but it's usually centered on Zach Woods. It's a show that swings hard and fast between terrible nonsense and wonderfully addictive. I'm practically fascinated by its existence. This season has been much better because a lot of folks are getting what's coming to them rather than the ultra-idiots failing their way towards success. It feels more just than the previous season. They are weirdly wasting Rav's existence, though. And I miss her weird Great Value David Tenant helper.

Boy do I have bad news about science fiction tv shows and movies then

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zarya accidentally dying was definitely the best way to end that story.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Boy do I have bad news about science fiction tv shows and movies then
There's a massive difference between believable science fiction and unbelievable science fiction. The idiocracy of Avenue 5 makes it near impossible to believe this ship could exist at all, let alone be launched into space without immediately exploding. Yet... I can get over it. loving around with physics, however, is - for some very strange and unknown-to-me reason - a harder pill to swallow.

muscles like this! posted:

Zarya accidentally dying was definitely the best way to end that story.
No joke, I actually golf clapped at it. Looking forward to their long lost third sister appearing.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Nov 17, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DaveKap posted:

There's a massive difference between believable science fiction and unbelievable science fiction. The idiocracy of Avenue 5 makes it near impossible to believe this ship could exist at all, let alone be launched into space without immediately exploding. Yet... I can get over it. loving around with physics, however, is - for some very strange and unknown-to-me reason - a harder pill to swallow.

What's the difference between something like this -- where the stupidity is largely the point -- and Snowpierce the TeeVee show, which has an equally poor grasp of physics, logic, etc.?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The science does bother me a little, like the 1 passenger shuttle taxi can get from Earth to Ave5 in seemingly a few hours, no matter where it is in the solar system, but this missile is taking quite some time to get there.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The_Doctor posted:

The science does bother me a little, like the 1 passenger shuttle taxi can get from Earth to Ave5 in seemingly a few hours, no matter where it is in the solar system, but this missile is taking quite some time to get there.

It's having to build up kinetic energy by sling-shotting off a distant planet first.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I've been a bit confused about the extent to which A5 is able to change course. In season 1 it was implied (if not out-right stated) that the ship flies itself, and small deviations to their course are unchangable.

In season 2 we had them fly closer to the sun because of the kids, and also park the ship next to the space prison. So I'm not sure there is any real consistency in the writing. But I'm basically just letting it it go and enjoying the comedy/tension.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s essentially Red Dwarf with more people.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
They definitely made a decision to abandon all the harder sci-fi stuff this season, but it's probably a pain to write around so I understand why. Like, the prison episode would be completely impossible with the more realistic trajectories from season one.

The lithium "meteor" feels like they're just making fun of people who care though lol, there's got to be at least one person in the room who would have pointed that out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Docking with a space station is kind of dumb when they whole overarching plot is that they are stuck on an orbit that means it will take months or however long to get back to Earth. But I don't think it ever claimed to be hard sci-fi. It's kind of a "help me get my hand out of this jar of pickles *takes hand out to get soap*" situation.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If it bothers you too much, just assume the prison's orbit was close enough to Avenue 5's orbit that they were able to rendezvous with little Delta-V expenditure but they lack enough Delta-V capability to get into a trajectory that would get them close enough to earth in a reasonable time.

As far as the shuttle and the missile, we can assume that the shuttle can boost longer which allows a more direct course and faster velocity. The smaller missile would lack the fuel for that.

Also, it's been established that earth could totally just go and rescue them with minimal fuss, but they don't want to spend the money on it.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Also, it's been established that earth could totally just go and rescue them with minimal fuss, but they don't want to spend the money on it.

It might also be because they ignored the orders of The Other President to kill a bunch of passengers.

If they are not willing to listen to The Other President than why should Earth bother?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

What's the difference between something like this -- where the stupidity is largely the point -- and Snowpierce the TeeVee show, which has an equally poor grasp of physics, logic, etc.?
Snowpiercer only ever requires you to believe that someone invented a perpetual motion engine up until the really awful episode when 2 trains "chased" each other through a huge track relay. That's when it was equally stupid to Avenue 5.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
My problem now is how emaciated the cast feels. It feels like a lot smaller show now and I can't pinpoint why. Someone said it had a smaller budget so I'm sure that's most of it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They never rebuilt the big atrium set.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

They never rebuilt the big atrium set.
Three (four?) levels, a shitton of space, yeah that sound extremly costy and place consuming.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

DaveKap posted:

Snowpiercer only ever requires you to believe that someone invented a perpetual motion engine up until the really awful episode when 2 trains "chased" each other through a huge track relay. That's when it was equally stupid to Avenue 5.

Snowpiercer has an infinite power source, hydrogen collected from the snow, but the engine itself is mechanical and will eventually be unfixable.

It's ok if you forgot this, because the show certainly did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

BooDooBoo posted:

Snowpiercer has an infinite power source, hydrogen collected from the snow, but the engine itself is mechanical and will eventually be unfixable.

It's ok if you forgot this, because the show certainly did.
Did it forget? The show invented a whole second maintenance-focused train to address the possibility of engine failure. Heck, the show resolved multiple engine failures while the engine was running. And, spoiler for the end of the latest season, they gave half the train enough supplies to start up a settlement in a thaw zone while the other half got everything it needed to keep running the track for much longer. Also, the show takes place like 7 years after the big freeze and they already discovered that the Earth is thawing. Delta still flies commercial airplanes that were built in 1987. I think it's believable that the future/magic tech of the eternal engine can outlast an 80s airplane.