Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Well that was a hell of an episode.

I did have to pause it at "Ok, the algorithm works like this." The implications were beyond horrifying.

If next week isn't the finale I cannot even imagine where we go from here.

Judd during the end sequence was amazing. He looked so happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

King Mads!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So is the missile now going to go between the halves and zoom off into deep space?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Cojawfee posted:

So is the missile now going to go between the halves and zoom off into deep space?
Probably. They do the math of "where would the missile go" for barely 2 seconds. With that kind of fuzziness to the logic, you can just as easily say the front and back halves actually had equal mass and the missile merely saw the vessel as one giant mass, so it went for the center, which is now empty space.
Plus, spoiler for the next episode title: That's why they call it a missile.
I guess my more complicated guess to the next episode's plot is that the engineers in the back half have to get the dopes in the front half to burn enough fuel with their engines (it is 2 ships sewn together after all) to make the mass actually equal. They accomplish it in time then some other disaster happens for the next season.

That was yet another decent episode. Iris smiling for multiple cameras was the best bit. The system beeping good and bad when Doug says he's a father was next best. I have multiple nitpicky problems with it but am doing better about letting them slide. I kinda miss the old comedian.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 22, 2022

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

How much are you ready to bet that if they somehow manage to reassemble the ship they somehow manage to do it backward?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Toplowtech posted:

How much are you ready to bet that if they somehow manage to reassemble the ship they somehow manage to do it backward?

As soon as I saw the ships seperate that was my guess.

I also liked the surprise that it didn't seperate right down the middle and instead took some cabins with it. As far as I'm aware the woman that gave birth was going into a bathroom with no exit right? If so an extra lol and I can't wait to see what happens with that.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

My prediction, based on the idea that a season 3 will happen, is that the missile goes between, hits the lithium asteroid, and turns it into small rubble which then orbits the ship with the poop. That makes the ship suddenly immensely valuable and resumes the rescue mission.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Hasn't the show been cancelled/not renewed?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That's the rumour but it's not been confirmed.

Ianucci denied it on twitter, but also that's kinda his job? So who knows.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's gonna end on a Wayne or Lodge 49 style cliffhanger, bet on it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The cancellation rumors were created by the fact that the actors were released from contract. However, they had to do that due to the pandemic delays. If HBO decides to order more, then I'm sure a new contract could be put in place if the actors were available.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

That's the rumour but it's not been confirmed.

Ianucci denied it on twitter, but also that's kinda his job? So who knows.

Thanks. I'll be very happy if it is renewed but it's the kind of quirky show with a (seemingly) small audience that often gets cancelled so I wouldn't be surprised.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Zachack posted:

My prediction, based on the idea that a season 3 will happen, is that the missile goes between, hits the lithium asteroid, and turns it into small rubble which then orbits the ship with the poop. That makes the ship suddenly immensely valuable and resumes the rescue mission.
I'm sorry to say that the poop and dead bodies orbiting around the ship were all left behind when they did the maneuver at the end of Season 1. That's why you haven't seen them in Season 2. It's definitely not because continuity doesn't really mean anything on this show. Nope.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If they get a third season they should take another marked step in softening up the sci-fi and do a Space Fantasy season with green skinned aliens and spacewalks where you just have to put a diving bell on

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DaveKap posted:

I'm sorry to say that the poop and dead bodies orbiting around the ship were all left behind when they did the maneuver at the end of Season 1. That's why you haven't seen them in Season 2. It's definitely not because continuity doesn't really mean anything on this show. Nope.

Tiresome.

I will say that I kinda miss terrible comedian guy.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Milo and POTUS posted:

He jumped ship and is now on a space station. Station Eleven.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Mameluke posted:

If they get a third season they should take another marked step in softening up the sci-fi and do a Space Fantasy season with green skinned aliens and spacewalks where you just have to put a diving bell on
Honestly I'm all for it because then we're actually turning this into the Fhloston Paradise show I always wanted it to be.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Tiresome.

I do too. The lady rolling into the airlock came back to life but comedian guy just disappears? Sad.

We're also missing this guy:

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 24, 2022

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I thought one of the interviews said we'd see a map of the US (or what's left of it), did that ever happen?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
“Wha……d-did you come as an arctic sniper?”

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Wow that was the seasons finale?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Moetly good finale, though I'm more interested in the set up for next season than anything else.

My friend pointed this out during the finale, but the season seemed to be unable to maintain a single plotline for more than an episode and a half at a time, and it might have been better to develop some ideas in a more prolonged way. That said, I'd rather have too many ideas than too few.

Small White Dragon posted:

I thought one of the interviews said we'd see a map of the US (or what's left of it), did that ever happen?

I don't know about a map, but we see it from space at the end of episode six.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Kinda bummed they did not manage to match or even come close to the horror/hilarity of the airlock scene in season 2, easily one of the top ten TV moments of all time for me.

And now we wait.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I thought the escape pod scene was pretty close to the airlock scene from last season.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Aside from the few and very quick external shots this episode felt extremely cheap. Like they have no money so every shot is zoomed in and there’s only actually 8 people on set at any given time.

Have they confirmed there’s another season? At this point they have fake leverage for a rescue so it’s sort of at an endpoint anyway.

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022

mcbexx posted:

Kinda bummed they did not manage to match or even come close to the horror/hilarity of the airlock scene in season 2, easily one of the top ten TV moments of all time for me.

And now we wait.

While not on the same level, I personally found Ryan getting elected and the reveal of TV Ryan hit a lot of the same vibes. Just the idea of a whole bunch of people coming together to make the dumbest possible decision.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

It was the ship seperating for me. Just the qtupidity of Judd, that no one asked how it will split apart, and the general intensity. Its not at the same level but it was close for me.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Well if that's the end of the series at least the marriage plot will die with it.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I was pretty lukewarm on the first season. But I'm now ripping through the second season and it mostly rules.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I was pretty lukewarm on the first season. But I'm now ripping through the second season and it mostly rules.
First season is a slow burn exploding into a crescendo of madness in the last 2 episodes. Second season is constantly insane.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

All in all I think this season was a big improvement. The space prison episode for example was great. Its not as sharp as Veep and the Death of Stalin though, which I think is because unlike those Avenue 5 actually has some characters that's trying to do some good.

Also, the lithium crisis is very real. There's not that much lithium left.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Good season, but that last ep felt very weak.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

everybody talks about the airlock scene because it's a microcosm of today's society or whatever, but my fave scene from season 1 is karen loving up with the luggage discharge

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Doktor Avalanche posted:

everybody talks about the airlock scene because it's a microcosm of today's society or whatever, but my fave scene from season 1 is karen loving up with the luggage discharge

It's a great scene, and I would argue that it works just as well as a reflection of our current issues:

Karen, a civilian, fucks up due to personal ignorance and narcissism, and takes on all the blame for what happens. In reality, it's the much larger system (corporate corruption, lack of leadership, etc.) that made her gently caress up even possible in the first place.

It reminds me of the current media environment that suggests to the public that we could solve climate change if you all just stopped using plastic bags at the grocery store..

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Finished up the series(?) finale and thought season 2 was averagely enjoyable. The performances were great but the writing felt weak in the majority of the episodes, which is surprising given the fact that they had an 18+ month delay due to covid. You'd think they could have used that time to tighten up the scripts.

Maybe we'll get a third season?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The Elena b-plot threaded throughout the season did not payoff in a meaningful way in this finale. It might have led to some novel situations throughout, but it was a complete anti-climax. Nobody watching cared if the throuple got properly married.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I liked the thruple plotline because I imagine that is exactly how Ryan got into his first marriage. Always the third wheel in a three-way marriage...

I can also see this one ending the same way: too bad the partner that actually seems to care about him is the one he doesn't want to be around.
:laugh:

I'm sad the season is over: I got Rome'd again. I really thought there was one more episode after this. :smith:

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

The structure of the show is very solid. Watching different leaders come and go, exploring why dictators come to power in the first place worked well season 2.

A season 3 with waring ship negotiations has a ton of potential.

I hope this gets renewed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Isn't the HBO purge over by now?

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
It bugged the poo poo out of me that Matt spent the first 6 episodes fomenting a rebellion, things are finally coming to a head, he gets shot with a crossbow, episode ends on Iris' secret police rounding up the usual panickers. Then Matt is just instantly back into the inner circle at the start of the next episode helping sort out how to deal with the missile.

gently caress that I wanted to see Matt's mutiny! Felt like every episode this season was written by someone who had a good idea of who the characters are, but they had only read a vague description of what happened in the previous episode.

Despite that this show is still great and deserves more seasons for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Matt's devolution was weird, but I was all on board for Mads' Wild Ride.