Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also goodbye most of my predictions !!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

what... the gently caress....

this show is very good

I'm sad, i liked sarah/"sarah"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've finally worked it out: Avenue 5 is basically what would happen if you had a Roald Dahl story without any of the smart kid protagonists.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Holy gently caress the next episode leaked and holy gently caress holy gently caress.

gently caress gently caress gently caress I feel bad for Matt?

Avenue 5: storeroom cum clubhouse

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 5, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pick posted:

Also goodbye most of my predictions !!

I was predicting that Harrison would be the one who returned to Earth in the shuttle but welp

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

Avenue 5: storeroom cum clubhouse

cum clubhouse?

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
Saw the leaked episode. Now that was some good dark comedy. Holy poo poo.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

This show has really good VFX (it stands for "Visual Effects").

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Haha holy poo poo episode 8 :wow:

I wish I could watch the entire season at once, waiting two weeks (in case nothing else leaks) is going to be hard.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Okay, this last episode was great. I've been a little disappointed with this show -- it's not as outright funny as I thought it would be, and it seems like it's moved kinda slowly so far. If it's just been a slow burn so we can get episodes like that, though, I'm on board.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
drat

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
That was a good episode.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I have to say I thought that situation was going to go a lot worse than it did. I did learn a lot about VFX at least.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We should maybe also acknowledge that the show shares a fair bit of DNA with some classic "giant spaceship wandering aimlessly through space crewed entirely by idiots" scifi like Red Dwarf (which also has the "all the competent crew died so we're left with these morons" set up) and the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, particularly the Golgafrincham Ark Fleet Ship B which was functionally a cruise ship in space full of annoying useless passengers and deliberately staffed with the most incompetent crew ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogcQ7Z4bh5w

Yes, it was really apparent in Ep. 8 and I'm loving the show for it. And for the increasingly dire situations and morbid humour.

professor metis posted:

what... the gently caress....

this show is very good

I'm sad, i liked sarah/"sarah"

Got to hand it to her, she was good.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I have to say I thought that situation was going to go a lot worse than it did. I did learn a lot about VFX at least.

That stands for Visual Effects by the way.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

orcane posted:

Haha holy poo poo episode 8 :wow:

I wish I could watch the entire season at once, waiting two weeks (in case nothing else leaks) is going to be hard.

Hint: Every episode has been put up around Friday for the whole season.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Magnificent... I don't know whats better/worse All the people icing themselves, the ship running into them on its approach, or the stupid loving lady that convinced everyone it was all fake surviving.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Chubby Henparty posted:

Part of that is, I think, because the characters in The Thick of It, and Veep were, in my mind, vaguely nominally competent and there for a reason, even Malcolm is at his heart an idealist. If literally everyone except for Billie (maybe Rav?) is a buffoon it's a different show than what I'm used to from Ianucci. Again, that's on me to get past.

Sorry to dredge up a somewhat old post, but holy poo poo, Malcolm is absolutely not an idealist in his heart. I don’t think you understood that programme.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pick posted:

oh my god this show is horrifying

is this.. a comedy... show??

e: jesus christ :stare:

I got to the airlock sequence and said the exact same thing :wtc:

I can't wait for everyone to find out that the entire management system of the ship is a facade which I can't imagine not happening next episode, between Spike's bridge visit and one of the actresses orbiting the ship.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jerkface posted:

Magnificent... I don't know whats better/worse All the people icing themselves, the ship running into them on its approach, or the stupid loving lady that convinced everyone it was all fake surviving.

Again there's a lot about this show that is darkly, darkly, DARKLY credible.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

mcbexx posted:

This show has really good VFX (it stands for "Visual Effects").

Pick posted:

Again there's a lot about this show that is darkly, darkly, DARKLY credible.

Poor Matt... :smith:

That surprised me and I really enjoyed how his character has expanded.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I liked Sarah :smith:

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
RIP Johnson

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
At first I was horrified, but by the end of the episode, I'm not gonna lie, I was ready to send half of those goddamn passengers out the airlock. Just let them.

some good quotes this episode

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

Sorry to dredge up a somewhat old post, but holy poo poo, Malcolm is absolutely not an idealist in his heart. I don’t think you understood that programme.

I'm sure there's a late episode where Malcolm has a relatively quiet moment and explains that everything he does is because he absolutely believes in the labour party and what it should be doing. It's a tell vs show moment but it's more than Jamie or the Fucker (who may very well just be in it for the violence) get.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Jfc and the next is the end of the season!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Why does Clark need to pilot the ship into dock again? Apart from it being a good thing for captains to be able to do.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chubby Henparty posted:

Why does Clark need to pilot the ship into dock again? Apart from it being a good thing for captains to be able to do.

Something about the ship's controls only being registered to his biometrics so it only will respond to him.

The real captain set it to him and Clark and then died, so now they can't change it.

Which, that seems really hokey to me. Like even if that were the case, couldn't he then like, "log in" and then grant permission to someone else?? (Billie)

But I guess they wouldn't know how, too incompetent. But you'd think Billie could talk him through giving her permission and then she could fly it, at least better than him.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Something about the ship's controls only being registered to his biometrics so it only will respond to him.

The real captain set it to him and Clark and then died, so now they can't change it.

Which, that seems really hokey to me. Like even if that were the case, couldn't he then like, "log in" and then grant permission to someone else?? (Billie)
That and why would the actual captain even set it to Clark, knowing what he does about him?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

orcane posted:

That and why would the actual captain even set it to Clark, knowing what he does about him?

They mentioned it was for show, as a part of the launch ceremony or smth.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh I missed that :doh:

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Same, thanks all!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I'm kinda wondering at this point if they're going to mention what happened with Avenues 1-4; they mention that faux cap'n took care of some disaster on there but I'm wondering if Fudd's previous Avenue's were as doomed as this one.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Avenue 5 was the last of the Avenue stations...

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

do we know why it's named avenue 5? I feel like we must but I am stupid

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Its the 5th avenue cruise liner

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Because it came after Avenue 4, duh.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

oh so we don't know why they named ships Avenue, then, ok lol

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They're named after New York thoroughfares. So there's an Avenue 3, but there's also a Lexington. I think they mentioned it in episode two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Open Source Idiom posted:

They're named after New York thoroughfares. So there's an Avenue 3, but there's also a Lexington. I think they mentioned it in episode two.

oh! see that's what I was looking for. thanks.