Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Finished up the season, and drat. That was really bleak and good.

Knowing that the set had burnt down, you can really spot it in the final 2 episodes as they wander through bits of bare studio, and what looks like parts of a cross-Channel ferry (those metal corridors with the low ceilings scream maritime to me).

So how quickly does the little shuttle get there? It seemed to take, like, a day? Could they not just do that a few more times?

The music was really good, and invoked a terrible sense of dread. Incorporating the ship’s alarm sound directly into the soundtrack (or vice versa?) worked so well, and I loved the final episode’s end titles music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My guess is we’ll see other human space stuff out there from next season onwards. The indications are there that there’s more humanity out in the solar system (Spike was the 30th person on Mars and that was clearly some time ago, the ship is an old freighter [travelling from earth to where?], the moon is a prison, etc.

The background we get is that humanity is now heavily in space, but they’re conspicuously absent in the show. Possibly now that Ave5 is wildly off course, they’ll start running into other areas.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I think they were going from Earth to Earth with at least one gravity assist at Saturn.

No, I’m talking about the original ship the Ave5 is built on top of. The Chinese freighter. Where was that travelling to that you needed a ship that size?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I honestly wouldn’t doubt there being a Jupiter Mining Corporation reference in there somewhere next season.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://youtu.be/re7vMjHDang

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

It's counterintuitive, but when they're way out by the gas giants would be the best time to adjust their course for a close encounter with the sun. Then at the sun they would be able to adjust their course for Earth more easily than on their current orbit. This general approach is called a bi-elliptical transfer and it can be faster for long trips. The orbital mechanics of it make sense.

They're still looking at something like two years minimum. If they had enough fuel to get down to the sun in under 500 days they would also be able to point the nose at Earth and go home.

It’s how the Hermes goes back to get Watney, isn’t it?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Every time I think back on this show, it’s with an air of depression. There’s definitely this air of “oh my gOD THESE loving IDIOTS” since Covid and Brexit and god, just everything. :negative:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I like that the siren has returned to the score.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The science does bother me a little, like the 1 passenger shuttle taxi can get from Earth to Ave5 in seemingly a few hours, no matter where it is in the solar system, but this missile is taking quite some time to get there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s essentially Red Dwarf with more people.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They never rebuilt the big atrium set.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Good season, but that last ep felt very weak.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, it wasn’t a finale, just an episode wrapping up that small arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Proper news link

https://twitter.com/ew/status/1624201556638814208