Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'm dreading doing my viva over zoom, I'm awkward as hell over videocall. I find it really difficult to communicate effectively when I can't read body language etc properly, and that's going to go double if I'm trying to discuss relatively complicated concepts. Can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

^ you'll be fine, dw. So long as you wrote the thing and your supervisor thought it wasn't poo poo, it's just a question of how much they'll going to ask you to polish.

hemale in pain posted:

what the gently caress is the free speech union

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pablo Bluth posted:

After two days of falls, UK deaths have jumped up to 381 in 24hrs.

sounds like stairs are more dangerous than the coronavirus

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

biglads posted:

Make sure you have a massive stack of bog roll behind you

You can set a virtual background on your Zoom. I used this for a conference call today.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I agree that toby young's death would be acceptable collateral damage but I didn't read anything prior to that. Toby young's death would be acceptable collateral damage to me scratching my balls tbh.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I don't think having hundreds of thousands of people die just to take out Toby Young is worthwhile collateral damage

hemale in pain posted:

Mutual defence agreement for internet shitlords. If you sign up and then later get in trouble for free speech such as "eugenics is good, kill all the old people and foreigners", then allegedly people like Toby Young will defend you

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I've got someone who was joining my team in a week we've had to cancel on so I'm really hoping this helps them because it's massively poo poo otherwise.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

hemale in pain posted:

It's a union of free thinkers delivering their important speeches. The speeches are all about whether it would be hypothetically ethical for Toby Young to gently caress a child if the child was asleep. It's hypothetical why are you all getting mad? Owned much?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

MrNemo posted:

I will say we are currently in the golden age of screen captures of people leaving their cameras on while they have a poo poo in conference calls. I've seen 3 or so getting passed around in the last week and a half.

Well you can't say that and not post them to the thread

Also did this get posted here https://www.sadanduseless.com/covid-19-work-from-home/

also;

Cerv posted:

sounds like stairs are more dangerous than the coronavirus

I snickered

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 31, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Cerv posted:

green outline round Johnson means he is speaking
cabinet is poo poo at this and needs a training course. oh dear

I wonder who generic iPhone at the bottom of the visible list of attendees is

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

josh04 posted:

^ you'll be fine, dw. So long as you wrote the thing and your supervisor thought it wasn't poo poo, it's just a question of how much they'll going to ask you to polish.

This - I prepared for my vivia by reading the introduction to my thesis and watching crash course youtube videos on my chosen field of study (which I found really useful for reminding me of basic concepts I hadn't thought about in years).

Good luck!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Angrymog posted:

Putin

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm dreading doing my viva over zoom, I'm awkward as hell over videocall. I find it really difficult to communicate effectively when I can't read body language etc properly, and that's going to go double if I'm trying to discuss relatively complicated concepts. Can't wait!

You and me both! I've got mine set for this Easter weekend.

On the plus side, at least we're not going to have to go through the rituals of being summoned to a place and experiencing all the dread and anticipation associated with that. I'm mostly just disappointed I won't be able to go out for a meal or social drinks afterwards.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

CancerCakes posted:

This - I prepared for my vivia by reading the introduction to my thesis and watching crash course youtube videos on my chosen field of study (which I found really useful for reminding me of basic concepts I hadn't thought about in years).

Good luck!

An intelligent colleague who had an MSc in Quantity Surveying - in no way related to my field of study which was STEM (so his general quants ability was important) - did me the favour of reading my thesis (much of which was alien to him) and ask me some really fundamental questions - the sort of thing I blithely thought I understood and found erm.. well actually... - and this really sharpened my game!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
of loving course the government of the loving united kingdom doesn't have internal infrastructure set up for basic videoconferencing. rule britannia

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
https://twitter.com/Dempster2000/status/1244976615182020616

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Qwertycoatl posted:

I don't think having hundreds of thousands of people die just to take out Toby Young is worthwhile collateral damage

Yeah but that means other people aren't acceptable collateral damage, not that toby young isn't.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I hate these tv adverts that have babies or toddlers pretending to talk about insurance or whatever.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah but that means other people aren't acceptable collateral damage, not that toby young isn't.

Oh I quite agree. My post only looks like it was disagreeing with you because we posted at the same time and yours came first

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

i hope that egg was eaten after this photo was taken, because I haven't seen any eggs in shops for days and I would like to eat some eggs, and seeing an egg wasted like this is painful

freddiestarfish
Dec 4, 2005
I LIKE RABBITS
He hasn't put them on mute, you mute yourself when you're not talking. If you don't do this you're bad at large conference calls and everyone else in the call hates you.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

hemale in pain posted:

And more importantly how do we make them go on strike?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I hate these tv adverts that have babies or toddlers pretending to talk about insurance or whatever.
Are you reading Toby Young's column? I'd advise against personally.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

An intelligent colleague who had an MSc in Quantity Surveying

I like to think this involves looking at big piles of things and going :hmmyes:

e: everybody look at the boars :3:

https://twitter.com/robertwoodshaw/status/1244588015109931009

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

i hope that egg was eaten after this photo was taken, because I haven't seen any eggs in shops for days and I would like to eat some eggs, and seeing an egg wasted like this is painful

All of my local shops seem to have them back now, but if not check your nearest ethnic/non-chain supermarket - they all seem to have big catering-size 2-dozen slabs in stock, presumably ones that would have been going to restaurants otherwise.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

You know how Toby Young will say stuff like "I think we should kill everyone two years older than me so that the economy machine can go burrr" and he'll be predictably swamped with people calling him a small dicked loser who couldn't even get people to show up to his Bachelor party? Basically the Free Speech union is supposed to give him and other morons protection from that by giving a far right tory money somehow.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Hearing stories about scammers impersonating police to collect fines from people outdoors.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Azza Bamboo posted:

Hearing stories about scammers impersonating police to collect fines from people outdoors.

Yeah I saw this. They can only do the fixed penalty things not take actual money right there so anyone that tries is a crook. And will probably just kill you anyway. I've been marched to a cash machine on France and forced to take out 90 euros or something and hand it over before. Felt ridiculously dodgy.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Walk inspector

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Red Oktober posted:

You can set a virtual background on your Zoom. I used this for a conference call today.

You need to find a flaming skull throne, or a Giger chair background to assert your business dominance.

Mad Max style bog roll throne would also suffice.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Angrymog posted:

Laura K

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

No joke I thought Lizz Truss was Laura K.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

josh04 posted:

I mean, if you’re going to be a wizard, full Gandalf is definitely the way to go.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Oodles posted:

No joke I thought Lizz Truss was Laura K.

Who thinks that flag behind her is a permanent part of her home furnishings, rather than being setup specifically for this call?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm getting more of a Rincewind vibe tbh

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Z the IVth posted:

They left the meeting ID up. Anyone want to have a go guessing the 6 digit password? If you get in an goatse the cabinet you'll go down in history.

C O R O N A

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I've been a while posting birds because I've been stuck in zoom meetings the last two days. Sorry!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'm getting suspicious that it was Zoom what created Coronavirus 19 because nae oval office had even heard of their app 6 weeks ago & now it's every where.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

this bird butt made my day, not to be weird about it or anything..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Jedit posted:

A useful link for prebooking the wall: https://www.lewiscotter.com/brands?fbclid=IwAR0s2dh18zgt8Vxi62IqwSEt70WCGzhoVBe9OqAgIvnp3iwX0eL2eHex1fM

Pass it around, add information if you have it.

Thanks for this, definitely making a note of all the companies I used to use frequently but will not be touching with a bargepole when all this is over.

Also, holy gently caress that termination letter from Wren:

https://uploads-ssl.webflow.com/5da5779bcc68914355c323ef/5e80ce17d75a9b4b61f87a79_Wren%20-%20notice%20of%20termination%20no%20meta.pdf

"Hi, Come in and sit down" how loving patronising and smug is that, what a bunch of cunts.