Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Ms Adequate posted:

Christ.

That really lends credence to Ice Phisherman's fears in the USpol threads about an impending medicine shortage, as an awful lot of those factories make things the whole world uses to synthesize into modern medicine.

There's also a slight worry that because most of the world's container traffic originates in Asia, a lot of global shipping businesses are going to be unable to ship anything because there's going to be no containers left to use as they will all be impounded in ports there and not being utilised anywhere else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidCayJ/status/1234222655412359172

Paging our mole on the Solent ShaneMcGowansTeeth to tell us if there's similar scenes down there...

Probably not yet, as it takes considerably longer for a ship to get from Shanghai/Singapore/Ningbo/Busan to get to Europe than to Long Beach. We will know in the next two or three weeks I'd wager

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I just went back and did a quick check and there's a six week lead time from a ship leaving China to making it's first arrival in Europe, as opposed to three weeks max from Asia to the American west coast based on CMA CGM's scheduling at any rate. So we could be looking at empty docks here within a month

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I have been sat in an office in Southampton Magistrates Court for almost two hours waiting for a court to empty so I can do a solitary check on a printer and leave

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

XMNN posted:

just seen an aircraft carrier

I've heard several people saying it's smaller than they thought it would be, but one of them also seemed to be struggling to come to grips with the concept of small vs far away

They're fairly big, but they can easily enter Portsmouth harbour and dock in the naval base. The US supercarriers have to stay anchored in Stokes Bay because they are too big

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Well 'easily', they dredged the harbour special like so the ships could actually get through it without running aground.

And the dredged sand has now done odd things to the tidal patterns on Hayling Island too

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Remember when the 'ra took them all and they had to do new ones.

the 'ra have space shuttles?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Bundy posted:

I don't remember much about it other than I loving loved it as a kid. There's full episodes on YouTube if you fancy some nostalgia

I know, I put them there

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

Ha! This was legit my favourite show as a kid. Did you have a VHS of them which you digitised?

Not really. I found the ripped files online, but they weren't actually on Youtube so put them there instead

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

XMNN posted:

went to the walk in centre to get some cocodamol, got seen by a gp within about half an hour of turning up and walked out with a prescription for 100 x 30/500, total cost for my whole experience was £9

I really love the NHS, I honestly can't imagine what it would be like having to deal with something like this when I was having to make decisions about whether it was worth thousands of pounds to go and see a doctor instead of just whether or not it hurts enough to go back to get some analgesia

hopefully we don't have to find out :(

suspect some of my warm fuzzy feelings may be related to the codeine

I was advised to get some medium strength cocodamol when I had my last UTI and lordy I was high as a kite for the rest of the evening

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

sebzilla posted:

+44 were the best Blink spin-off by some distance. Box Car Racer were alright. Angels and Airwaves were trash.

The Box Car Racer album is amazing

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Where is QCS?
(Sorry can't find anything on here except this thread!)

It's been turned off now

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Oh well, had to really:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/standardsport/status/1238228081984372736

Premier League fixtures still going ahead this weekend though

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Chelsea's Callum Hudson-Odoi is the first Premier League player to test positive

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 13, 2020

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Everyone in Havant except me is buying bog roll

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Amidst the corona-chat, I finally found pure UKMT in video form

https://twitter.com/NoContextHearn/status/1215340072616239106

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Angepain posted:

wait people are supposed to have sex during their 20s? damnit

Given how long it's been it feels like the last time I had sex was in my 20s, and I hit the big 40 this year

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

No passenger ferries from Portsmouth to Le Havre but you can get them to Caen or St Malo, no ferries from Plymouth or Ireland to Spain, but you can go to Roscoff in France, while you can get a ferry from Portsmouth to Spain, but only to Bilbao, not Santander. No passenger ferries from Portsmouth to the Channel Islands, only freight as of right now too

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Jose posted:

i'm probably going to play games, wank and drink if i have to self-isolate

but what if that's all we do anyway?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Only one cross-channel route between Portsmouth/Plymouth/Poole/Cork/Rosslare and France/Spain now running

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

We've also been given guidance for how to do our jobs out in the field (office staff can work from home) and it boils down to: ring ahead, and ask what Covid-19 measures they're enforcing, and follow them; and ask if anyone has had it on the premises. If the answer to the latter is yes, email corporate for advice

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

This just reminds me of the scene from Tramnsformers: The Movie where Astrotrain* says they have to jettison weight to reach Cybertron.

Starscream suggests survival of the fittest. All the Deceptions who are health vote for it. All the walking wounded pittly vote nay. And then are chucked out the airlock.

In less grim news over here in Ireland the government have brought forward measures to ensure anyone out of work can apply for emergency social welfare money to cover staying at home. As someone who is self employed it is a life saver.

*= Which bothered me. Why did a spaceship need to jettison weight. Guess Astrotrain was an Astrojerk.

Because Astrotrain (and his proper name is SPACEBUS) still needs fuel to run, and the Autobots and Decepticons have been beating the poo poo out of each other for four million years because they don't have enough, so making himself lighter and more fuel efficient is a good idea. Of course, all the Decepticons then having a ruckus to decide the new leader once they've kicked the battered ones out of the airlock probably didn't help matters either

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/SheRa_Marley/status/1239811920372301825

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Can't work from home in my line of work, but if no offices/schools/etc are open, then no-one's printing, and if no-one's printing they can't gently caress the things up. Looks like it's going to be online training courses and video games interspersed with random call-outs that I can opt out of if anyone's been sent home from the premises with it

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Brittany Ferries have now suspended all cross-channel ferries except for freight

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Turns out that my epilepsy prescription hasn't been signed off by my GP, despite a request waiting for it be signed off. And you know what, I ain't even mad with the absolute chaos that's going on

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

See that roundel? It's not called the Hertfordshire Underground, is it? You're in London, time to develop a chirpy persona even while the bombs are dropping.

Seeing as there's a TfL bus from Hounslow to Slough (the dear old 81), this is particularly apt

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

My company are still raising calls for us to go and adjust settings on machines (which should have done in the factory) in order to keep us "productive" and I've just refused to do them any more. I'm not going into offices where people might be infected to do poo poo that isn't important

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

"Under strengths you've put down "being dead", and under weaknesses you've put "decomposition""

"fit for work"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I had a dream last night that I suffered a compound fracture of my humerus, but for some reason the doctors decide the best treatment for this was to amputate my arm and then re-attach it, solely so I could run around and beat people round the head with my own severed arm. I must take this to a psychologist

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

to be fair, you could wheel out a 20 foot high pile of dogshit which just screams "YOU'RE ALL GOING TO DIE" and it would look good instead of our PM

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Went to the co-op over the road from me because I was running low on milk. No bread or loo roll but plenty of milk, most of the fresh meat had all gone except some bacon and sausages and various breaded chicken pieces which I'm loathe to freeze

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Just got an email that is asking us to take unpaid leave, any holiday now or reduced working weeks. What fun

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

KFC joins McDs, Costa and Subway in shutting for the forseeable

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

I think McDs is dependent on the franchisee because I drove past my local around lunchtime and there was a massive queue for the drive through

and there are definitely multiple local Subways still open for takeaway orders

they're closing tonight iirc. KFC will be closing from now until Wednesday

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

fun fact: The actual Asda in Havant is where I made my first appointment to get my epilepsy diagnosed. Or at least that's where I called the surgery from

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I've got enough food in my tiny freezer to last two weeks, so may need to pop out towards the end of next week to top up if necessary. I'm also still at work, but at home and basically ready to rush out of the flat at a moment's notice if any office that's open has a printer breakdown (none so far)

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Surely that is the ideal printer technician's world. A thousand offices, devoid of people in them to break the printers. The machines silent, unmoving, the toner calcifying in its cartridge, the displays devoid of error codes, the paper feed unjammed by delving hands, no more the whirr of reports in those drop-ceilinged halls of drudgery, no more the light of the scanner arcing radiance across the copy of a copy of a copy because somebody wrote on the master, shaving a little more clarity from the image of an image with each pass, no more reflecting the steady entropic advance of the world. A perfect, timeless moment, a printer unused, still, free from want of servicing. Slowly gathering dust as the technician dreams unburdened.

except, when they eventually roar back into life having not been turned on or stuck in sleep for a month or more, chances are they won't work first time, if at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

All those moments will be lost in time, like tear in feed, check roller.

pfft, I got dragged from Southampton up to the DEFRA office in Reading for "jams" when it turned out someone had put A3 in a tray and not changed the tray settings from A4. Was particularly gratifying to show someone how to change it in the three minutes I was in the building