Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mebh
May 10, 2010

You can add me to Sheffield South East but I probably won't go to a meeting without another like minded individual as it seems to be melt central and I'm not going to do that to my soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My local Chinese & amazing chip shop has had utter poo poo business since all the outbreak news and it makes me mad. Its run by a single ancient Chinese dude who's always sneaking me extra chips and random amazing fried things or asking if I want to try a new dish.

I've been there 4x this last week and I've been the only person in every time. :ohdear:

Meanwhile I'm asthmatic, the wife is diabetic with a mother in the USA with no health insurance. Still can't get the nerds at work to wash their drat hands after the toilet though. People were laughing that I have a giant thing of alcohol sanitiser on my desk today.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Going into the toilets at work after lunch is like a scene out of Backdraft. As I found moving up here, people either are vegetarian, or don't eat vegetables.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Jesus, that is horrific.

I am feeling very down at the moment folks. Anyone got anything nice to say about anything at the moment?

I painted my guest toilet bright red and installed the best toilet paper holder ever made and am stupidly happy.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

gently caress it, just build tunnels to everywhere. We'll need them when the world goes metro 2033.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Just got back from ASDA in Sheffield and the toilet paper aisle was stripped bare. People walking away with 2 giant packs under each arm. Did I miss a bulletin or something?

Also watched Dark Water today for a lovely "you all have cancer" fun start to the Saturday. Good film, recommend.

On a total aside I'm looking to get back into painting miniatures as a hobby, any goons got any advice on a decent starter paint set? The ones recommend on amazon seem a bit pricey at £45 for 20 18ml colours. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grinning-Gargoyle-GAR-FPS001-Miniatures-Warpaints/dp/B07P66VH2L

Also, spray paint undercoat or by hand?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I make a lot of pickled cucumber kimchi. It's hard to gently caress it up honestly. I've yet to make pickled korean Radish that didn't make my entire fridge smell like farts after a week. Delicious though. Just a bit farty.

Also chiming in: Ribeye best steak cut for steak. I also grind it to make pretty much the best burgers I've ever had. I might be a monster for doing that but I've not had as good results with any other cut and it's still wayyyyy cheaper than buying a burger anywhere out.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZV9z0RVhy4

The guy has been linked in the thread before, but this one is particularly :stonk: as it sums up an epidemiology report from the Chinese.

Infection range in a closed environment is up to 4.5 meters (infected one person that far away on the bus), double the recommended safe distance.
It stays in the air for 30-60 minutes and infected someone else who got on the bus after the first person had gotten off the bus.
It also stayed alive on a 37 degree surface for 3+ days, longer in cooler temperatures.

Crikey no wonder it's spreading like crazy.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My Uber driver today (my regular lift to work called in sick... with flu like symptoms...) was advocating taking everyone with any symptoms and putting them on a boat out of the country. He was from China.

I'm trying very hard to not freak out, I am feeling slightly under the weather but nothing more than "I need more sleep" just worried if this goes as bad as it can what the hell I'm going to do if my wife gets sick as she's type 1 diabetic and all colds really gently caress her up.

Everyone at work has been prepped with laptops to work from home if need be. Hell my entire job can be done remotely. No calls for WFH though and the general attitude is of derision and mockery towards it being anything serious. Though everyone was just given antibacterial swabs for their desks...

Mebh
May 10, 2010

So I was having a fun evening with two good friends, one from Iran! Talking and drinking way too much. Went to ASDA to get more booze.
Not ten doors down I see sirens. There's an ambulance and loads of folks in masks literally wheeling a loving corpse bag out of a house. Everyone in hazmat suits... One starts yelling at me to stay back.

What. The. gently caress.

I'm getting very very drunk now.

Polish guy with no hands in asda said he has 100 percent proof of life after death and not to worry about corona. He'll tell me more if I want when I see him next.

Fuuuucking hell.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I made really good cheeseburgers tonight. And I was happy. loving hell we're all gonna die.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Angepain posted:

don't worry, only a percentage of us will die! doesn't that make you feel better! the rest of us must stay alive in order to carry out furious vengeance on what will remain of the ruling classes

My local CLP are full of melty loving melt blairites. Its so endemic and head noddingly agreed on that I don't know how to even begin. Decorum and both sides bad PS Corbyn is why everything is bad.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Asgerd posted:

Just keep washing your hands and you'll be- oh.

Yeah he had literally no hands... Just. Yeah . OK.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Aidan_702 posted:

What was so good about it? Pls note I hate anything with vinegar in it so you’re on thin ice

I just grind my own ribeye, heat a cast iron to smoking brush with a little oil, form the meat into loose balls, then do two at a time on the pan and smash thin. Put salt and pepper on, flip after 90s, put salt and pepper on and a slice of cheese wait for 60s remove.

I fried brioche Buns in butter on a pancake griddle.

Then I just assemble them to order for folks. First batch was standard, thinly sliced tomato. Pickled Jalapeños, those American cheese slices, ketchup and mayo.

Second batch I did crumbled Feta, Red onions, tomatoes, a tiny bit of balsamic glaze and a little scrape of perinaise.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

hissing at brioche buns tbh

sounds good though, i'd eat the hell outta those second ones.
i've started doing the making burgers from steaks thing but i dont have a grinder so i just pound the crap outta them with a cleaver for 10 minutes while my neighbours swear

Yeah they were what my guests brought, I don't see the obsession. They're too sweet. I haven't gravitated to making my own buns yet as that's really pushing the effort too far.

I'd totally recommend a cheap grinder though. Means I can take £10 of ribeye and process it into mince for about 9 patties? I slightly freeze the steaks before I grind them and it takes about 30s. Never going back.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jose posted:

Why not buy a cheaper cut more traditionally used for burgers than ribeye?

Because after trying every cut, well picked marbled ribeye gives the best consistent results for the least effort (don't have to worry about ratios or buying multiple things and asda sells 3 ribeye steaks for £10) since I made burgers for 2 burgers each for 5 people last night that were as good as anything I can get out at a restaurant where a single burger would be £8 it ends up nearly 8x cheaper which honestly is good enough for me.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

how small are your burgers if you're getting 3 1/3 per 8oz ribeye

About 75g or 2.6 oz per patty I'd guess.

I got 9 patties out of the batch last night from the three 8oz steaks. A 1/4 lb burger is 4oz right?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Listening now, is the cartoon you were trying to recall "Once upon a time... Life"? Just found it's on Netflix.

I'm cancelling the holiday I was supposed to be staying on Friday (originally tomorrow) to Singapore, they are issuing stay home orders. Dad is supposed to be going to Egypt next week which I guess looks dubious.

Oh poo poo I just had flashbacks from the WEIRD as loving poo poo intro with the naked couple flying into the air and morphing into the sun...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imP2MZxoM-s

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

That's how sex works in France.

That explains a lot about my french exchange trip in High School...

Mebh
May 10, 2010

In Sheffield there's a bar called Meltdown. A few friends who were cancelling various events there today talked to the manager. He said bars and restaurants have insurance in place already so that they get a payout if the government forces them to shut.
So by not enforcing it the government is saving the insurance companies from having to payout.

Guess which party has a looooooong history of donations and ties to insurance industry? Go on. One guess!

Daww did you miss his face?

Edit: 111 is the number you can ring to be rung back and told off for bothering them about your corona symptoms.

Catte tax: 3 legged tripod Catte exploring bbq in sunshine while supervised

Mebh fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 16, 2020

Mebh
May 10, 2010

This weird dystopian hell future is getting out of hand.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Is that pronounced as english or german?

I don't even know. It's an e scooter company that has been pushing their transport the safest way to avoid public transport. I've been pronouncing it the German way.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

So um, this is something many people aren't really talking about but... Social distancing. Lots of companies are getting on board right now. Lots of us are getting to WFH even though we're not sick yet.

The question is... how long does this actually go on for? From reading the thread it looks like no amount of it will stop it exceeding capacity. So are we going to be working from our laptops til April 2021? What's the best/worst case?

Like. I prepped like a madman. I've got a veg garden started. I've got 2-3 weeks of food and a series of online deliveries booked and planned every 8 days with supplies. We have insulin and medication for a couple of months. We can basically airlock ourselves in our house for 2 months before things start to be really tricky.

Question is if this is going on for a YEAR. What's the point? Sure isolating if we're sick. I get that. But if we're not and just trying to lessen the load on the NHS by delaying us getting sick as long as possible do we run out in a month, get food and re-isolate, rolling the dice every time forever?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Right then... guess I'm expanding the veg patch size then.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

So I'm building raised planters out of some old shelf sets that were left in my garden.

No issue making the sets with some brackets and finding a decent North South sunny spot so the plants don't over shade each other.

What I'm unsure about is pests. Mostly slugs and snails I guess. In Spain everything got eaten by grubs and caterpillars except our chilli plants. I'm keen to avoid a repeat of that.

Anyone got any tips or suggestions for a series of things to prep for. I'm in Sheffield if locale makes any difference.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Broken eggshell around the bottoms of the stalks - basically barbed wire for invertebrates. You'll get caterpillars and insects munching on them too but the solution there is a bird feeder - encourage wild birds into your garden and they'll keep the pests down to a reasonable level.

Cheers mate! To amazon to buy a bird feeder! Yay birbs.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

This has inspired me to look up growing cabbages ('cos cabbages are cool) and growing stuff is apparently a lot more complicated than I was expecting. Seasonal timings, transplantation, soil ph, previous stuff grown in the soil, parasites, sunlight exposure... I always assumed you just stuck the seeds in the soil and they turned into food after the appropriate time interval.

Do it! It's not that complex. Just plant stuff. Then if it all gets eaten plant more stuff! I grow hundreds of chilli plants and make my own hot sauce. In Spain everything grew like mad and we then lost everything not a chilli plant so we set up a plan for the next season...

Then everything fell apart and I had to bin all our tomato crop and we had a good cry as we were moving. I'm keen to get my veg on, But you really don't have to go crazy. Just find a warm windowsill and plant some seeds in yoghurt pots or those planters from a supermarket then repot them into progressively larger pots. It becomes an addiction

http://imgur.com/a/BoEpOAP is my office isolation desk right now and honestly it's keeping me sane planning stuff to plant.

Thanks for all the great tips all!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

We're down to half a bottle of gin and 6 days til the next asda delivery. Nooo

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

You can make a still out of two differently sized pots and some cling film.

e: For gin, not frogs.

Tell me more. How do I do this without poisoning myself and what do I need to buy off amazon?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

learnincurve posted:

If you want a laugh at a total idiot I bought what I thought were 40 giant competition winning Celeriac seeds, but it turned out I bought a pack of 4000 which is enough celeriac to feed this entire thread for about a year, and the seeds smell insanely strong so now my house is going to smell of Celeriac forever.

I would totally take some of those off your hands in exchange for buying you things of your choice off amazon!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

learnincurve posted:

I will be growing as many as I can fit in various parts of my garden 😁, I’m also having a go at 5 of those enormous sunflowers that grow about 15 feet high.

Niice! Celeriac is basically the best. Lower carb. I make chips out of it for the wife. I really got used to it being a staple veg in Europe.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Someone nicely summed up the "flattening the curve for a few weeks is BS and we're not going back to normal anytime soon" discussion we've been having on and off in the thread.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/...tent=2020-03-19

Good link to send your relatives if they're still being shits.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yep, nightmare fash time. Yay.

Seriously what the gently caress happened in this timeline?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

You know I do wonder if it was any other massive bloc of the populace at risk, say, all women, or all black people or all 20s to 40s instead of the largest voting bloc in history with all the money and power, that being the boomers...

Would the same measures be being enacted? I'd like to hope so. However I'm just not sure.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Loonytoad Quack posted:

My wife's a teacher and has just been told all school holidays are cancelled and she can expect to have to cover shifts from 6am to 10pm looking after key worker children.

poo poo's really real right now.

:stare:

Christ...

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder if quinine has any preventative effect. They both mess with cell surface proteins in the same way.

So what you're saying is more Gin and Tonic?

gently caress if people start panic buying Tonic water I'm going to be so pissed off. That's literally the one thing keeping the wife and I sane.

That and gardening... with Gin and Tonic.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Bird feeder and gardening trip report update.

Bird feeder set up and filled, hot compost bin ready and good to go with a few weeks of veg, coffee grounds etc in it.

Raised bed built out of old shelves. Been filling it with dirt every day from the pile they dug up to build my shed base, hard work with a trowel and a bucket! It's full of lots of worms and centipedes which I assume is a good sign. Potting compost and copper tape for the edge on order.

Wonky as poo poo cold frame that I built, but I think it'll do the job. Door doesn't close well, thus the gas canister. I'll need to make a new latch. First batch of bigger seedlings moved out of the warm study to there to "harden up" a bit. So they don't die immediately from the shock of being planted outside.

Lots of fun! Highly recommend.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Was walking home from picking up the wife's prescriptions and I walked past a couple standing at the end of a driveway.

I noticed a giant bag of loo roll and some shopping propped up against the door, as I was passing an elderly lady in a pink dressing gown answered and looked delighted and surprised, the couple stayed at the end of the driveway saying "don't bother coming out we just thought you might some supplies mum" and I thought "aww that's nice"

3 seconds later an elderly gent barreled out, walked straight upto them and started shaking hands saying thanks for the gifts and would they like to stay for tea. :doh:

E: some light reading before bed. Jesus Christ. I'm never going to go outside again.
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/03/lung-fluids-coronavirus/

Mebh fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 22, 2020

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I'm so loving angry and scared. I don't even know what to do, I'm trying very hard to not just drain an entire bottle of whiskey.

My mother is 76. Lives by herself with a cat in the arse end of south wales away from everyone. The one person I wasn't worried about as she never sees anyone else except her landlord who makes her roast dinners every weekend. She has parkinsons and a whole host of other medical issues.

She thought it'd be great to go clap for the NHS at 8pm last night in her garden. Solidarity and all.

She slipped and broke her loving ankle.

Fucks. Sake. What do I even do? I live with an immunocompromised diabetic at the other end of the country and pretty much can't go visit her. She's just sitting at home saying "Oh well I wasn't doing anything anyway, and can't really walk anyway. I've put some peas on it but it really hurts a lot"

She can't go to a hospital. Doctors aren't doing call outs. She's just gonna sit there and be crippled?

And yes, you're allowed to laugh. It's quite ironic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Can you call the NHS and see what they recommend? Maybe hint at internal bleeding so they have to do something?

Called the landlord who is a lovely chap and a good landlord who charges her very little and pays all her bills. He just didn't want his guest house going to waste.

He's gone to find a local nurse to go take a look. Mother is fuming now of course. She said the peas were fine and it's 'just her ankle'

Old people... I swear...

(and yeah lol not going to hint at internal bleeding that's mad)