Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

marktheando posted:

are there any non scary things going on in uk politics

I mean, there's some depressing ones. Like:

What does a lonely, squalid death in an immigration centre say about Britain? posted:

Dostoevsky said a society’s civilisation can be judged by its prisons. I would add this: a society’s humanity can be judged by its immigration removal centres.

What does it say about us that a man who entered Britain on a valid business visa – with all the optimism and ambition that entails – died emaciated, dehydrated and in a state of utter despair, at a detention centre near Heathrow.

That Prince Kwabena Fosu’s story could unfold in modern Britain is hard to comprehend. A 31-year-old Ghanaian national, he was experiencing a psychiatric crisis so acute that – it was said during the inquest – even someone with no expertise would have noticed. He was taken to the Harmondsworth centre, where staff instead labelled him disruptive – his mental health was never assessed – and placed him in segregation, where for six days he lay naked on a concrete floor, not eating, drinking or sleeping. He died on 30 October 2012, emaciated, from hypothermia, dehydration and malnourishment, weighing only 47kg, having lost 15% of his body weight in less than a week.

E: Oh by the way that's your tax money hard at work:

quote:

The main problem with immigration detention is that, at a cost of more than £34,000 per detainee per year, it doesn’t actually work, and has been found time again to be “not a particularly effective means of ensuring that those with no right to remain do in fact leave the UK”. For the utterly heartless, that is reason enough for radical change. For everyone else, there is Prince Fosu.

But clearly we can't let migrants off easily, 34000 pounds a year is a drop in a bucket compared to the damage a stray migrant could do.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Another choice bit:

quote:

In detention Fosu was found ranting into a mirror. He was then restrained and put into segregation shortly after his arrival where he remained until his death six days later.

During the period of segregation he lost 15% of his body weight, going from 55kg (8st 9lb) to 47kg (7st 6lb). He was found to have died of cardiovascular collapse with psychosis, malnutrition and hypothermia.

Prince Fosu’s father, Prince Obeng, said his son was a quiet and obedient man who had never previously experienced comparable episodes of ill health. “I never knew that things like this could happen in Europe,” he said. “The Home Office has not been in touch with me but I would like them to apologise for their failure to protect Prince.”

Let's see what the inquest had to say:

quote:

The PPO acknowledged that managing Fosu’s complex and difficult behaviour presented staff at Harmondsworth with challenges. However, she added: “We consider that the care he received fell considerably below acceptable standards.”

Ahh well that's okay then. I wonder how that compares to the routine inmate rapes at Yarl's Wood. Was that also considerably below expectations, or perhaps just below expectations, after all rape still leaves you alive. Well except for the several percent who killed themselves. Humm. Really tough question there.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

SpitefulHammer posted:

Wilkos conveniently slashing sick pay...

I can see more companies implementing similar policies soon.

What are you insinuating they clearly said it's nothing to do with the covid-19. Nothing at all. Just a coincidence.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jose posted:

i'm off work sick again mostly because i was off yesterday so gently caress it even if I am still ill i could work through it. anyway it seems like half the building of people is ill and someone collapsed today according to the work group chat

lmao

Sounds like your company has been very successful at reducing sickness absence rates, as wilko aspires to do.

It's definitely because of people taking the piss and being skivers that they had to make that change. You see it all the time. Why, some people won't even come to work with a quick cold.

e: I once got in minor trouble for taking a few days off due to the flu during my uni summer internship. Was very much "we understand your reasoning but it doesn't seem you are making the best use of your limited time with us".

Just gently caress the whole thing. Though it's worth noting that the post-war soviets and allied regimes were leaps and bounds worse at this then even the legal minimum in the UK. Try no pay for 2 weeks and then getting only a minimum wage, all the while requiring a doctors permission and facing regular home inspections.

It's not just capitalism that is suspect to short-termism in this respect (and many others).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 6, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

e: nm, I had a bit of a pointless gripe about the Graun series Europeans, but turns out I kinda like this one:

Europeans: Borders by Jakub Zulczyk starring Jacek Koman

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 6, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Comrade Fakename posted:

So nice of the press not to mention that the notoriously philandering prime minister had knocked up his girlfriend - who seems to have got pregnant maybe around the time the police were called to her house to investigate a potential domestic assault - until he finally agreed to marry her. After an election.

Look that's Boris Johnson our lord and leader, heir of distinguished ancestry; not some hippie who's never even gone to university (nevermind -proper- university) and dated a black woman!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Whose toilet do you have?

Landlords?

Look at mister moneybags here.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

The BBCs coverage of Nandy really cements how anti-left they currently are in my eyes. Barely mentioning the two leading candidates in favour of a no-hope third-placer who just so happen to be right-wing.

The top two politics articles are about her.

e: It's by Kuenssberg of course, because of course it would be.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 7, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I like the full stop space full stop at the end of the quoted section, because yes, that is part of the original article.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Lungboy posted:

Reminds me of John Mann becoming the anti-racism tzar when he's racist as gently caress to travellers.

What one of the Labour fuckhead four got punted to the Lords by the Tories and given an official position by the government?

I mean I guess he's just not pretending anymore, but still, I thought they're all gone.

e: Huh I guess Stringer is still a Labour MP as well, he is the climate change denial and gently caress migrants one. Funny thing is I always thought Mann was the least worst of the four.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 9, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

The stupid thing about a&e waiting times is that it's entirely a consequence of underfunding. Comparing it with Czech Republic where I grew up it's basically night and day - there's separate 24 hour emergency services in almost every hospital department (along with an actual accident emergency unit, so you don't have accident victims fighting for space with someone getting the sniffles) and the wait times are more like 30 minutes.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

XMNN posted:

wish I'd asked the nice lady for some pain killers but didn't want to sound like a junky

if I go into a pharmacy and go into graphic detail, will they give me cocodamol??

No. You might call 111 though I guess for an emergency prescription, or see a GP.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Trades posted:

They’ll give you the 8/500 you can get without a prescription. I mean that and regular ibuprofen will definitely help

I thought that was prescription only? I have very little knowledge of anything medical but internet says so, as per: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/5958/pil

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I wonder if, when all this is said and done and thousands of britons are dead, our response will be in any way as dramatic as our response to the 7/7 attacks when ~50 died.

I know you're being rhetorical but, well, see how many people died courtesy of benefit cuts, or even just killed themselves due to them.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

XMNN posted:

my only hope is that the fact that they are putting off precautions until it's too late in order to "reduce economic damage*" will make people question whether an economic system that might benefit from not trying to save as many lives as possible is a good thing

I'm not optimistic

*which, again, seems like such a loving stupid premise, how is shutting down everything for two months now going to be any less disruptive than shutting everything down for two months once it is spreading uncontrollably?

For my continual eastern euro update, for what it's worth the Czech government has shut all the schools and universities indefinitely starting tomorrow, and there's a regular 10 minute q&a segments about coronavirus on TV, all with fewer infections per capita than the UK.

Of course conservative fuckwits say that it's overblown and just a government reelection campaign, while pointing at Britain not doing anything as justification. Impressive that the Tories manage to indirectly hurt my retirement-age parents halfway across the continent.

e: phoneposting i != o

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 10, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jel Shaker posted:

Arnt these numbers yesterday’s (with a 24 hr delay), for its probably ^2 by now

More like ^1.2 I bet.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I mean even if everyone gets it it wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as black death, that was what, 20% of population dead?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

XMNN posted:

30-60% in Europe and similar numbers elsewhere according to Wikipedia, which is pretty apocalyptic

Even more so then, 10 times fewer deaths is pretty significant difference, not to mention we're a lot better at coming up with vaccines and helping people survive.

Not that it wouldn't suck.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Azza Bamboo posted:

In theory, relaxing gun laws during a mental health crisis would also cull the "surplus population"

I mean *looks at the US*, uhh.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

It's pretty funny how the US has failed just as hard as the UK, all the Americans smug about Bernie, lost like tears in the rain.

Never look to the US to save the world, it's a country without much of any safety nets and with an actual loving death sentence FFS. A country where people routinely modify their vehicles to increase emissions to gently caress the environment. A country with gay reeducation camps, where it's legal for parents to discipline beat their children, a country where even some schools do so. Country with actual loving curfews for young people and absurd age limits on things. A country where there are no spending limits on elections and one where you can often be fired on any and all whims of your employer. A country with one of the highest rates of incarceration in the world and a country where there's a non-insignificant chance you'll get shot by the police when you ask them for help.

e: Or indeed shot by your gun-toting neighbourhood watch instead, with them facing no repercussions if you are black (Trayvon Martin says hi).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 11, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Comrade Fakename posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51832634

Good news gang, the economy will do fine, as long as you don't take into account the economy collapsing.

Also, no one will die from the coronavirus, as long as you don't take into account all the people who will die from the coronavirus.

Is that even inflation-adjusted because :lmao: at calling 1.1% growth if not.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

What about antivirals? I remember reading some will be finishing trials within weeks, so if widespread infection gets delayed for a few months that could potentially work.

Not that the government is doing anything to bring that about.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 11, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Communist Thoughts posted:

picked up some ffp3 masks, gloves and goggles for the inevitable quarantine and subsequent trips to the shops
if anything i'm stimulating the economy, this poo poo ain't loving cheap!

One of the measures that some of the countries taking the crisis seriously have taken is banning the sale of those things to the public to prevent shortages, FWIW.

Bit late now I suppose.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Communist Thoughts posted:

the asian countries that actually know what they're doing are all wearing masks and ppe whenever they're outside.
presumably since they're from countries that take it seriously they have this stuff already or are given it.

my own experience dealing with the gov advice and phonelines on this is that its basically every man for himself as the government actively tries to get as many people infected as possible before doing anything

i dunno if i gave the thread an update but me and my gf both have all the main symptoms and have been sick for a week and are going from cold symptoms to shortness of breath and dry coughs etc, hopefully not roni but it is here community spreading in our location.

i've called 111, i've gone online, i've called scotlands special non-111 coronavirus helpline. ofc we aren't getting any tests but they also aren't even advising us to stay indoors ffs

yeah this is absolutely the case, the government isn't doing poo poo

Oh if you do have symptoms that's different, sorry. Anyway here's an article about the mask hoarding though:

Masks can't stop the coronavirus in the US, but hysteria has led to bulk-buying, price-gouging and serious fear for the future

quote:

(CNN)Panic over the novel coronavirus is hitting a fever pitch in the US. And despite repeated pleas from health officials not to purchase them, Americans can't stop snatching up masks and respirators.

The mask boom has prompted sellers to jack up prices and exploit demand. This has meant a shortage for medics who need them. And Chinese Americans are buying in bulk to send to their families overseas.

"We need to make sure those N95 masks are available for the doctors and nurses that are going to be taking care of individuals that have this illness," Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield said during a House Foreign Affairs hearing on Thursday. "And it really does displease me, to find people going out, there is no role for these masks in the community."

Americans don't need masks. They buy them because they're scared

To be clear once again, Americans don't need masks. The CDC says that healthy people in the US shouldn't wear them because they won't protect them from the novel coronavirus.

In fact, warns US Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams, face masks might actually increase your risk of infection if they aren't worn properly.

But medical workers who treat patients with novel coronavirus do need them. And, the CDC says, it's crucial that those supplies don't run out.

When it comes to hysteria and panic, though, reason takes a backseat.

"This is a psychological thing," Dr. William Schaffner, a professor of preventive medicine at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, told CNN. "The coronavirus is coming, and we feel rather helpless. By getting masks and wearing them, we move the locus of control somewhat to ourselves."

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Sanford posted:

In the meeting this morning it was established that all but five staff (out of ~200) are fully equipped to work from home already. Still not doing it.

:capitalism:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I enjoy the last sentence there.

It's very :lmao: no gently caress you.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Since someone posted a Norway update, here's my eastern euro one:

Slovakia just announced they will be closing road borders from tomorrow 7 AM to all non-essential traffic. Not completely senseless given that they are surrounded by infection hotspots with only a handful of cases of their own.

It does mean my retired dad is currently stuck in an absurd traffic jam since what looks like everyone ever decided to get all shipping and travel done while possible. He has to pick up my grandmother who lives there since all assisted living services have been stopped too and she can't take care of herself.

Meanwhile the UK, ahh, well.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

WHO condones closing schools FWIW.

Again as far as Czech Republic goes the whole issue of parents having to stay home with kids is in fact significant, the government has instituted a new benefit where people doing so against the wishes of their employer are paid 60% of their wage by the government and can't lose their job over it.

:lmao: can you imagine Boris doing that, and again that's with fewer per capita cases than in the UK, albeit it's next to Italy, Austria and Germany TBF. And yes the growth of cases has slowed down significantly, who'd have thought.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 12, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I mean yeah the kids won't die, but they can still get infected just as easily and go on to do the same thing to their parents.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Even the American NHL and NBA have stopped all matches.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

oxford_town posted:

I am a British-trained medical practitioner so obviously I have a vested interest here.

Smears are a good example. More is not always better. The cervical screening programme starts at 25 in England. This paper, for example, estimates that, to pick up one extra invasive cancer in women aged 20-24 we would need to do between 12500-40000 additional examinations and treat between 300-900 people - there is a resource implication there, but also a lot of harm from over-diagnosis and over-treatment.

Other countries, notably the US, practice regular 'routine gynae exams'. We don't do that, again because resource plays a part, but also because there there seems to be no benefit in doing them for women without symptoms of illness. Of course, in the US, there is a fee per exam payable to the doctor - so a significant incentive for those docs to promote them as an important procedure.

This in particular was genuinely super weird to me, like I get there's zero medical benefit but growing up in eastern europe all the women I know did have those exams regularly. In my mid 20s I was going out with this woman my age who's never had sex before and she was like "I've literally not had anyone touch me or look there since I was 3" and it was just so weird to me. Even men have their junk checked out a few times when growing up, if more for assurance than anything else. TBF she was from a somewhat more conservative country than Britain so maybe there is some sort of one-time adolescent examination. Or maybe not. Either way it was seriously surprising to me.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Hmm well I could do with some weed that's for sure, maybe I should go to the park

Also LOL @ my friend who was told to self-isolate for 2 weeks today, only to discover her internet has just broken. Virgin are sending her a new hub. Hope it gets there.

Fate worse than death itself.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

#BoomerRemover confirmed?

Okay it is a bit much as a joke I admit.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

bornbytheriver posted:

Eton and Harrow closed, who would have thunk it

I've had, uhh, a hallmate? (or whatever would be the term for four-flat-unit-mate), who went to Harrow in my first year of uni.

He was a nice bloke actually. Not even that posh.

Thank you for reading.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

666 people are talking about this.

Nice.

I know it's more now, just let me have this.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

If you think about it enough people dying could help with the gdp/pc a fair bit, especially after the epidemic ends.

Both in the obvious way and in more resources for less people way, especially considering who would die.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Continuing the eastern european updates for Czech Republic, a full quarantine has been declared with police enforcement (meaning people are supposed to stay at home and police can ask them where they are going and fine them if it's not home/work/shopping/exercise), all borders have been closed, almost all shops have been closed except for licensed tradesmen, pretty much anywhere where people gather, like theatres/cinemas/libraries/concert halls/universities/hotels/restaurants/pubs has been closed.

All with zero deaths (though 2 patients are in critical condition) and somewhere around 300 cases.

Now to be fair I think it's among the most strict in the world. Wonder how effective it will be.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Testing? Where we're going we don't need no testing!

I suspect that they don't want to test widely because then they'd have a lot more asymptomatic cases making their statistics worse and they figure it would crash the economy even harder.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

sebzilla posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of Home Ed!

Just about every country in Europe manages somehow, it will be fine.

Also :lmao: at £350 million when other countries are talking 2-3 orders of magnitude more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

In fact, NYTimes update 8 minutes ago:

quote:

Coronavirus Live Updates: Nation Pledges Trillions to Stave Off Economic Catastrophe

I'm sure £350 million "set aside" will be plenty.