Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

minema
May 31, 2011
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eTKeK9vRxgw0KhvKxPCaDrfaHnxQP-n9TsLzsEymviY/edit#gid=0

This spreadsheet is the UK testing data as reported since the outbreak started. Interesting how testing is at the same level now as it was 10 days ago - is it a restriction on number of tests? I don't want to go full conspiracy theorist and say it's to keep overall case numbers down so other explanations would be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minema
May 31, 2011
My husband's school has a student who was in Saudi Arabia last week, very close to the border with Iran, and has flu like symptoms. The school said she had to stay in school and do her mock today as PHE don't advise self isolation.

minema
May 31, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm actually heading out tonight to grab a whole load of poo poo and go dump it in a foodbank, because you can bet your bottom UK dollar anyone relying on foodbanks will be the first to suffer from any supermarket shortages

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/10/food-banks-run-out-of-milk-and-other-staples-as-shoppers-panic-buy-coronavirus

minema
May 31, 2011
If they shut Parliament after telling schools they should stay open when they've had pupils/staff diagnosed then I don't see that going down well at all.

minema
May 31, 2011
gently caress anyone responding to this with "oh but what about the flu that kills people and noone makes a fuss!?!?" You realise that's why the winter pressures on the NHS make headlines every year? You can't compare it to other causes of mortality, we don't know how high it'll go. It's like standing in a burning building saying WELL ONLY ONE PERSON DIED I DON'T SEE ANY REASON TO PANIC.

The NHS can't deal with the numbers of sick people this virus could cause if it gets a hold here. We have 4000 ICU beds in the country. They're at 80% occupancy on average.

Yes, panicking and stockpiling isn't the right idea but minimising the potential consequences of this is just uninformed.

And on a personal note, my parents, my husband's parents, and my best friend are all at high risk and wouldn't qualify for a ventilator if we became a North Italy level situation so forgive me if I seem a little angry.

The post above me is much more well evidenced and sourced and level headed, read that instead probably.

minema
May 31, 2011
I have a very cute video of my dog enjoying bubblewrap. Turn the sound on for maximum adorableness.

The embedded video was upsettingly large.

minema
May 31, 2011
I can't work out the guidelines they've given - if you have symptoms you must self isolate for 7 days, if you live with others they have to isolate for 14 days, but does the original symptomatic person self isolate for 7 or 14 days?

minema
May 31, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

If you are on your own, its 7 days. If you live in a house with other people its everyone for 14 days.

See it seems like the wording on it can be interpreted either way. I suppose staying at home is the safer choice either way.

minema
May 31, 2011
Why is everywhere making plans based on it staying as it is right now when everyone knows it's going to be changing rapidly! We are waiting to find out if we will be able to qualify as physiotherapists this summer as planned, it's not looking good since we haven't done all our placement hours and emergency plans are only for final years who have :(

minema
May 31, 2011
My friend is self-employed and her mum is a high risk patient so things are obviously worrying for them. But their landlord knows this and rang them today and fully unprompted said not to worry about rent if they are struggling for as long as this goes on for. So that's a nice piece of news. :)

minema
May 31, 2011
Uni are making noises that indicate they're going to let us qualify as physiotherapists early. I'm terrified at the thought of being thrown in at the deep end in the middle of all this. I wish I could just work from home doing a nice boring office job :(

minema
May 31, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is that because we desperately need physios now or just because theres no way to do the exams?
My mum is a recently retired NHS physio. With the stories about beinging people back I wonder if that includes people like her? I assume not. LOL also they've shut her hospital now anyway.

The first. A lot of physiotherapists work in acute care/ICU, focusing on respiratory problems, so they'll be in demand - although the NHS guidelines on PPE don't include chest physiotherapy in what you wear a proper protective mask for, despite it involving hands on patient care while you try and get them to cough as much as they can.

Physios who aren't respiratory based will probably be redeployed to the general acute wards to facilitate discharges/mobilisation/rehab for non-critical patients. I assume this is where I'll be sent. Honestly I am absolutely making GBS threads myself about it. Part of me wants to just hide this all out at home and live off my husband's teacher salary but I see other healthcare students asking how they can help and what can they do to help, and I feel like this is making a mockery of me saying I wanted a career where I could help people. If I don't sign up now I think I will feel like a fraud forever, but also I am really scared. :(

minema
May 31, 2011
So my final placement just cancelled and an hour later I get a call from my job when I qualify and they want me to come in for a uniform fitting as they are expecting us all to get rushed through to qualify asap. Bricking it to be honest, going to raid the booze stockpile for sure tonight

minema
May 31, 2011

sassassin posted:

Alcohol inhibits your immune system.

I still have to finish my dissertation and various other assignments so my immune system will have some time to recover.

minema
May 31, 2011

sassassin posted:

Alcohol also inhibits the writing a dissertation system.

It's a 3000 word lit review with a 1000 word research proposal, not a proper dissertation so I reckon I could write it hammered and still pass. Especially since they want us all out on the wards asap.

minema
May 31, 2011
this is a PSA that physiotherapists are not just about injuries or exercises. I feel like I've had to explain to half the people in my life that acute respiratory physiotherapy is also a large area of the profession - basically helping people breathe when they are acutely unwell.

minema
May 31, 2011

sassassin posted:

They built cpap machines not ventilators.

which are not being recommended for routine use in covid patients because they potentially generate aerosols that can spray out the side of the mask

minema
May 31, 2011

Answers Me posted:

Dominic Raab is a terrible orator isn't he. Sounds like an undergrad winging a presentation. Most likely because, despite the expensive education, he's actually thick as poo poo.

Still better than BoJo though

minema
May 31, 2011
surely it's better not to drive somewhere to go for a walk anyway. yeah the police are bastards but avoiding non-essential travel seems like an easy thing everyone can do

minema
May 31, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

Genuinely not sure what harm a walk in the hills is though. If you're not coming into contact with anyone else and aren't going round alternating between touching everything/your face, where's the possibility for infection?

If it's serious enough that you could pick it up from going for a walk by yourself, then why the gently caress are we still letting people go shopping?

I think it's more that having cars on the road increases risk of breakdowns/accidents requiring assistance, as well as more petrol refills. idk I have been taking the dogs on pavement walks only since lockdown started since it seems like it's not essential to be driving elsewhere.

minema
May 31, 2011

Surprise T Rex posted:

"Two meter, you"

I made this joke a few days ago to my husband and he told me it's my fault mr chuckle now has coronas :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minema
May 31, 2011
It seems like the letters are only being sent to people who are currently suffering from a terminal illness. Really, their GP should have had a conversation about this regardless of COVID-19 as CPR is very brutal on the body and very unlikely to work in the majority of cases. It's a horrible way for a life to end when the alternative is passing away at home.

Having said that, I doubt there will be enough palliative and community care ensuring that people with DNACPR/those not admitted to hospital will be kept comfortable in their final days, which is an issue.

Also, DNACPRs are put in place by doctors based on their clinical judgement, and it can be against family/patient wishes although I don't know how often this actually happens. It will also be a very high transmission intervention which is putting the healthcare staff at risk.

So I can see the doctors reasons for encouraging patients to think about their resuscitation status but I'm not sure if that letter is the best way to do it.