Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

jaete posted:

Was a good initial D&D pre-session, cheers all :)

My character was already arrested by the secret police and thrown in a cell, for the crime of I dunno, sleeping while elvish I suppose

Hiton ihmiset, he mutters in his high elven language

Wish I hadn't been working for it, but looking forward to hopefully getting some stuff set up.

Just as a quick thing, is it points buy or rolling for stats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

feedmegin posted:

You get to choose! Standard distribution (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) or roll. If you roll, roll wisely.

Is there any minimum for rolling?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

Fallout 1 minimum Int run = Excellent

I'd always wanted to do a 6 con one and just be a victorian era heroine.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Doesn't that put you at risk of instant death from some diseases if they reduce your con enough?

Yes, but I would love to play up the sickly waif aspect.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I am going to break from thread consensus and say that I love crumbled ruins and overcrenelated poo poo. I do prefer iron age hill forts though.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I am sad about all of this. I would just like a win, and it feels like people who are older and more comfortable just don't want to hear about anything which makes them feel bad/ asks them to change. It's sad and it feels like there is nothing I can do.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think this is pretty accurate. Like Biden got smashed by the under thirties or whatever the demographic is but the last thing people want is a bunch of snot nosed kids telling them they've been doing it all wrong all this time. If Bernie was less popular with young voters it might actually serve him better overall, as it is Biden seems to have provided an easy out for people.

I don't get this. Why don't older people ever seem to want to change/ improve? If someone was telling me something was wrong I would at least listen.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

baka kaba posted:

So there's a lot of cognitive dissonance there and the easy out is to just smile and say nope, it's all good, lazy millennials it's their own fault etc. Someone was posting in the Super Tuesday thread about this idea that when someone promises young people the electoral opportunity to change things and make their lives better, their parents and grandparents will turn out in force to crush them. And I think there's something to that, there's an forceful reaction that happens when a narrative starts to get traction, and it's not just about fighting for a particular political ideology - it's a response to a changing world too, people fighting to keep themselves at the centre of it

It is a shame. If we have the option to do this, I hope we as a generation don't.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

lol the SNP are letting the MP who did holocaust denial back in the party. Antisemitism is only a problem if you plan to do something about inequality I guess.

Jesus, that is horrific.

I am feeling very down at the moment folks. Anyone got anything nice to say about anything at the moment?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Thank you all so much for the lovely pictures and nice things. Going to be taking a break from this corner of the internet, but thank you all so much.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

But it doesn't harm the young all that much and isn't anywhere close to a death sentence. To treat it as if the sky is falling is daft. We should still be doing more, but perhaps not getting too OTT about things.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah the sky is not going to fall, but it's not going to fall (immediately) with a Tory government either. It's still poo poo and we should be doing what we can to fight it.

I suppose it's because, ultimately, it doesn't actually seem that bad. Like Italy is having difficulty but deaths do not seem to be all that high. But more people will quite literally die every day from car accidents than will die of this. If you are immuno compromised or are caring for folk with problems and are concerned then more than fair, but going "Be more afraid" seems silly. I can understand it if you have to live with it and everyone should take more precautions though.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pesmerga posted:

I'm sure that's a huge consolation to the vulnerable, immunocompromised and elderly. Can we apply this to those impacted by work assessments too now? That doesn't seem that bad either.

Because those are things caused by people. This is worsened by people, but it doesn't come from them. We can actually do things that will make work assessments better, we can do things that, ultimately, make life easier for folks. That's why we should be making things easier for others and taking care of our own and others health. But I don't think it's possible to fully stop this, and it probably never was.

XMNN posted:

I think this is probably not true, there are 800 dead in Italy in the last week or so and it's only going to ramp up; in 2018 they had 3300 road fatalities

a flu season is probably more on the scale we're talking about (i.e tens of thousands of dead), which does put it in perspective but also it's still a lot of extra dead people and the government's response is poor so far

for what it's worth, my mum is a former senior public health official and she assures me there is a lot of thought and planning (by actual professionals, not the politicians) and she is calmer about this than me, although she is also baffled by the "we might start telling people with minor respiratory symptoms to stay off work in a couple of weeks" thing

I mean that seems reasonable.

josh04 posted:

If the hospitals are in meltdown due to coronavirus, that number will go up proportionately.

That's very true.

Maybe I am less worried because, to put it bluntly, the only folk I have seen truly fearful are arses from TV or arses at work being racist about Asian folk.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 11, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

HopperUK posted:

My mother is immune compromised and my 14-year-old niece only has one lung so I'm not really in the mood to be told that since I myself am unlikely to die of this, that I shouldn't worry. I'm worried for them.

If you are worried then maybe a good idea is to ask what can you do, practically, to help them? If the answer is "nothing" then there is nothing to be done. We can, and should, make things better for folks by washing hands, cleaning up, etc. I would never dream of arguing differently, but why are you worried if there is nothing you can do?

And what options could have been taken, does anyone know? Would it have had to be full testing for all, blocking off of airports, that type of thing?

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 11, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Refuse to sacrifice more lives on the altar of capitalism, shut down work, legislate mortgage waivers and similar, focus on ramping up care capacity, spend money to save lives. As always this is the government killing people because they would rather do that than upset the money.

I wish they would have done that, but I supremely doubt that any government would do this, not least because of the sheer amount of disruption to everyone's lives it would cause. Would we have had mass giving out of food, closing all supermarkets and particular times for picking up food etc? That would have been cool and interesting though.

I'm sorry to be callous to people BTW, I don't mean to denigrate people who are suffering or nervous.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 11, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

All of those have been done by other governments in response to it.

Fair enough then.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Bardeh posted:

No but seriously when are they going to start shutting poo poo down? I feel like if we wait even a week longer it'll be too late.

I think it'll be a bit longer than that. I can tell you that visitor numbers are down across all museums, so we may see less infectious spread that way.

OwlFancier posted:

And has COPD, and diabetes, and immunocompromised, and I'm one of the few people around to look after her, and there is no way my job will stop and I won't get sick pay even if it does.

I am about 50% sure I'm going to kill her trying to keep her alive.

What is your job Owl? And how come it doesn't give sick pay? Alongside that, if this is anywhere near London I can try and help out.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Made out of meat? But what does the thinking? The meat?

Thinking meat? Don't be ridiculous.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

It's really weird, despite all the people we see going through our doors I haven't seen even one member of my team (200+) go sick over the last few weeks. I suppose we'll have to wait and see, but it is still odd.

Saying that, it is weird how the government is just going "All of Labours policies but no follow up/ not thought through". Really shows the intellectual strength of the Tories at the moment.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I'm sure they'd send some painkillers :kiddo:

Is that an Opium reference?

Also, went to a wedding up in Scotland yesterday. Everywhere seems a lot quieter, trains had not half as many people in, and all the shops are out of really odd things.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

So, when do you think they will start closing big public places like museums and stuff?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Of course, Britain did not have a clever operator, we had Henry John "I know how the Chinaman thinks, I went to Turkey once" Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston.

As I have said before in this thread, gently caress Palmerston. Turbo-Racist sack of poo poo.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OOF. I mean, yes, but oof.

CoolCab posted:

it's ok.

i don't know if i make enough of an effort to highlight this - i really appreciate all you weird internet nerds. quite often the UKMT laps the BBC and the granuad and also the mirror (all the newspapers in this country who would manage to survive the nuremburg trials) (maybe) but i like this thread. i like all you weirdoes.this thread is the worst thread, but i love it. its' the best, even though.

Love you too CoolCab. Keep safe!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

-sigh-

Also going to be enjoying work tomorrow where everyone is going to be panicking and not shaking hands.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I feel bad for going to a wedding in Edinburgh (or to be honest a tiny village outside of Edinburgh) on Thursday/Friday now.

I didn't interact closely with anyone other than my own friends (all 30/31) and made sure to wash my hands really well, but I am kind of feeling like a dick for even going considering what is happening now with folks.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

gently caress me if the Tories genuinelly don't provide something I think everyone is going to turn on them.

What was the actual announcement by Boris BTW? Anything or nothing?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

They are only going to respond because they are getting shown up by the French. These loving morons.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

hemale in pain posted:

wow so suddenly it makes perfect sense why they aren't ordering anything to close. how loving evil.

I hope it doesn't work, it feels like there is a new and ugly feeling in the air at the moment. Everywhere feels more quiet and yet more tense. I think that they may well end up closing stuff anyway quite soon. At least I hope so.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Mum and dad are both pretty much self-isolating already, which is good, just going out to pick up essentials/ go into the wilderness for mum to walk round.

Mum's a bit ill at the moment, not physically but mentally, so they don't go anywhere crowded, usually just to some woodland where she can have a good old shout and a walk.

I am also purchasing a microphone and a webcam so that I can talk to folk/ see folk if I do get ill.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

I've gone all in on the Doomsday Economics thread and my mood is very good, recommend it

We are kind of stuffed, aren't we?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

justcola posted:

My ex who broke up with me last week was sent home and now we're self-isolating for 14 days.

May I interest you in tickets to the my Edinburgh fringe show about it?

Oooof.

I think/hope that the insurance industry isn't dumb enough to think that it can get away with this and/or the complete annihilation of local businesses may lead to problems. But then they are Tory donors so bone shattering solipsism is not exactly 100% off the table.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Sanford posted:

Wrote it down on the spot because I couldn't quite believe it. To be fair our CEO did call him out and say he does care about people, a lot. Nevertheless.

Who is this fucker and why does he feel able to just chat poo poo like this?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Sanford posted:

Owns the business 40% is the most straightforward answer, also kept it afloat with personal funds during the financial crash.

He directly told me to shut the gently caress up when I said there might be a GDPR consideration about a new rule that says everyone has to put their personal mobile on a list which is accessible by the whole company.

Who owns the other 60% the CEO? Because I think a hostile takeover by getting him to gently caress himself might be an idea.

What an utterly repellent human being.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Waitrose (I know, I know, wall) near me is loving packed at the moment, lots of people going around not quite panicking but very close.

Lots of fresh fruit and veg/ freezable stuff though, so I was able to pick up some quorn mince that can technically last till the end of April and that I can make into spag bol if I need it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I've got enough terrible books/ work is close enough for me to go in and grab loo roll. It's so so weird, every place is busy yet outside seems weirdly quiet.

Going to get up early tomorrow morning and head right to the biggest supermarket possible and grab some loo paper as we are sort of running out here. Bought some solid soap which doesn't seem likely to sell out any time soon, so there is that.

Apparently the British Museum, Natural history Museum and V&A are closing their doors from tomorrow.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jose posted:

lol meanwhile in the US the republicans are talking, jsut talking admittedly, about UBI while the democrats....

https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/1239954759110602752?s=20

HOW ARE THEY SO loving BAD AT THIS. ARGH.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Welp. Looks like my work is closed from tomorrow.

Hoo boy. I hope I still have money left over when/if they keep demanding it from me :/

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

-hug- I am sorry mate. You've always got us random folk on the internet if you want to talk.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

I appreciate it.

It is a lot at the moment.

I know. I hope you know that we are all here for each other. I think we might need it.

No Libertarians in pandemics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Again -hugs-

It's not unwise to get upset or cross at people, we just need to start setting things up to help others. I think we can afford a bit of venting at this time

Also I would like to apologise BIG TIME to anyone who said this was going to get worse. I am so sorry for being dismissive.