Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

lol die now to avoid the brexit rush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Military thinktank pushing for a soft return to national service

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

If nothing else, Covid-19 might be the thing that finally makes everyone seriously consider WASHING THEIR loving HANDS and ACTUALLY STAYING HOME WHEN THEY'RE ILL.

Doubtful, but you can hope.

People will only stay home when they are ill if they get proper sick pay though, if you are getting paid hourly can you afford to miss a day or afford your months expenses after a week on SSP?

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 5, 2020

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I prefer the idea that they're trying to invent money 2.

Animal Money posted:

We discuss each paper, even the latter. In the criss--cross of our conversation the idea of animal money appears. None of us can account for it, none of us can take credit for it.

The idea silences us for a while, as we try to grasp it, each within ourselves. It really is only a chance coupling of two words, but they seem to call to each other. It is immediately obvious to us that animal money does not refer to the age-old practice of rating wealth in head of cattle or otherwise using livestock as money; there is something new in our minds.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

If you are feeling unwell during out of hours time I'd definitely recommend using 111 online as opposed to calling the very busy phone line. I mean if you get a callback you'll probably still end up waiting a while but less than if you called.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

can you link? i cant find that

https://111.nhs.uk/

Should work for most areas.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Heads up for anyone who might need one (especially if the jobcentre will accept one):

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/support-for-those-affected-by-covid-19/support-for-those-affected-by-covid-19

quote:

From Friday 20 March onwards, those who have COVID-19 or are advised to self-isolate will be able to obtain an “isolation note” by visiting NHS 111 online and completing an online form, rather than visiting a doctor. For COVID-19 cases this replaces the usual need to provide a “fit note” after seven days of sickness absence. Isolation notes will also be accepted by Jobcentre Plus as evidence of your inability to attend.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

StarkingBarfish posted:

Today's Barfish Breakfast Birb (tm) is the Hedge Warbler, which is a much nicer name than the more common English name of Dunnock:

They sound lovely :3:

A while back but dunnock sounds quite cute too!
Either way a sweet little bird. :kimchi:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Is public transport considered essential?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

IrvingWashington posted:

They went to work to avoid the sack
But this time they're not coming back

Those feeding the economy cannot shirk,
even in death they'll be "fit to work".

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

111 said they're only dealing with personal and family symptoms, and that they didn't think I should let the police know.

The guy was just coming out of a supermarket too...

A while back but:

111 really only works if you are calling about yourself or someone who is with you as you have to go through some assessment.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

while i did appreciate exiting the shower to applause from around the neighbourhood (as usual) can't help but feeling:

hemale in pain posted:

e: i guess it's easier shouting for the nhs than it is voting for a government which doesn't cut their budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Prince John posted:

That is amazing!

Edit: By the way, does anyone have any idea what kind of support would be available for a lady that lives near me with virtually zero money who needs to take the bus to do anything?

The local buses have just stopped accepting cash (only contactless) presumably due to covid-19, but she has some kind of special limited bank card that only allows her to do cash withdrawals and nothing else (no paying for things using card machines).

Are the buses stagecoach and does she have anyone who could buy and top up a bus card online on her behalf? If so it can be organised online: https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/national/stagecoachsmart