Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
In fairness, I should point out that the British Museum is not the only trophy room for tomb robbers, I was astonished to find in a museum in Firenze a whole section of Egyptology robbed by Italian explorers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I knew things would be bad post-brexit, especially if we have to use up our food supplies for the coronavirocalypse but I didn't think we were at siege of Leningrad state yet:

Baked babies in Home Bargains.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

RockyB posted:

Churchill spirit, fight the virus on the beaches, we survived two world wars and one world cup, rationing is coming home baby.

I actually went looking for 'Boris Johnson Noises' to make this post more realistic, and...

The reality of course is that hahaha we can't enforce a quarantine what the gently caress do you think this is, a country that hasn't stripped its police, hospitals and military to the bone?

They'll send in the Royal Navy whose two ships are simultaneously defending the English Channel from froggie fishing trawlers and in the Gulf shoring up jingoistic votes for Trump.

RockyB posted:

:thejoke: but ... queuing politely to be let into the mass grave at Hyde Park.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/coronavirus-plan-london-sees-40000-21599929

Oh yeah by the way it looks like 120,000 police, 146,500 across all branches of the military and 36,000 'volunteer reserve' who like to lick government jackboots. So ~300,000 'authority figures' enforcing the quarantine with billy club and musket, on an island of 66.4 million people.

It's gonna be like 'the unburied bodies' side of 'the bins':

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/dec/30/liverpool-gravedigger-strikes

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gravediggers-strike-helped-put-final-13972135

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 2, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

We could give visas to Cameron's 70000 Syrian Rebel Fighters to come and defend Our Great Nation against this forinner virus.

quote:

Well sort of quote, I changed ISIS to Coronavirus
David Cameron's '70,000 moderate rebels' are in Syria, the allies just need to direct them to take on Coronavirus

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry for the Torygraph link:

torygraph/politics/2020/03/01/downing-street-department-health-locked-row-access-eu-pandemic/

quote:

Downing Street and Department of Health locked in row over access to EU pandemic warning system
Matt Hancock wanted to retain membership of the EWRS as part of the EU-UK future relationship deal, however No 10 said no

DOWNING Street and the Department of Health are locked in a row over post-Brexit access to an EU pandemic warning system in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.

Matt Hancock’s department wanted to retain membership of the Early Warning and Response System (EWRS) as part of the EU-UK future relationship deal, but No 10 said “no”, The Daily Telegraph has learnt.

Senior health advisers warned that exiting the EWRS, which has helped coordinate the response to the virus and played a vital role during the bird flu outbreak, would put public health at risk.

However, the British negotiating team, which reports to Boris Johnson, did not want to blur the UK’s request for a basic, Canada-style trade deal, it is claimed. Every add-on requested by the UK would risk giving the EU leverage to demand post-Brexit alignment.

Mr Hancock is also understood to have been told he could not travel to Europe to meet other health ministers because Britain has now left the EU.

The details emerged as the Department of Health disclosed 12 new cases of coronavirus in the UK, a 50 per cent increase in the space of just 24 hours.

A senior source told The Telegraph: “The Department of Health pitched for continued access to the EWRS to be an objective of the negotiations, but it was blocked because they didn’t want to be accused of seeking more than the basic Canada deal.”

David Frost, the UK’s chief negotiator who will today lead a team of more than 100 negotiators for the first round of talks in Brussels, is understood to have personally endorsed the decision not to seek EWRS access.

The decision not to seek ongoing access to the early warning system that played a vital role in previous disease outbreaks such as SARS, bird flu and Ebola, raises serious questions about the UK’s ability to protect public health, experts have warned.

The web-based system, which was set up in 1988, links the European Commission, governments and key agencies, such as the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), in order to control serious cross-border threats to health. Last month the NHS Confederation, the body that speaks for the entire health service, explicitly warned that the risk from a pandemic “could be heightened without continued cooperation with EU” on health issues.

Niall Dickson, the chief executive of the NHS Confederation and its Brexit Health Alliance, which includes research and patient bodies, warned on Feb 7 that “public health is at risk in a number of areas if health is not made a priority in the forthcoming negotiations with the EU”.

In a five-page briefing paper, the Alliance set out five priorities for negotiators including “participation in key EU data-sharing platforms and alert systems, such as the Early Warning and Response System”.

Sources said the Government, which has been at pains in recent times to say it does not want “special access” to the EU, had ignored that request.

Separately, The Telegraph understands that Mr Hancock sought permission in early February to travel to Brussels to discuss the coronavirus with his EU counterparts, but was refused by Downing Street.

The UK retains access to the EWRS system until Jan 1 next year as part of it’s standstill “transition” deal.

The Government has said it will not extend the transition period, meaning that unless the UK takes a different tack in negotiations, its access will lapse.

Speaking last month Mr Dickson said: “Our worry is that all sides in these negotiations are under massive time pressures to agree a future trade deal and so there is a risk that the safety and health of patients and citizens across Europe could be overlooked.”

When the UK published its negotiation mandate last week, there was no mention of the EWRS, with a non-committal pledge to explore co-operation in “specific and narrowly defined areas where this is in the interest of both sides, for example on matters of health security”.

The senior Whitehall source said this pledge explicitly did not amount to seeking access to the EWRS and other bodies. “It was a vague commitment to information sharing, not access or participation in the EU system, which was knocked back,” the source added.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lungboy posted:

No no, the FTSE just opened 2.5% up so Coronavirus has been defeated and everyone is saved by capitalism!

The FTSE will have jumped up because (1) the £ sunk more against the $ this morning and quite a chunk of the FTSE gets earnings in $ - don't ask me how much, and (2) people hoping to pick up stocks which are cheaper today.

(If FTSE up and £v$ up = good, if FTSE down and £v$ down = bad, if FTSE up/down and £v$ down/up harder to say need to look more closely).

I know, :wall:

(Why isn't there a wall smilie?)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bit the bullet and voted this morning.

Leader: RLB (no 2nd or 3rd pref - I know Starmer will win unless there's some kind of miracle).

Deputy: Burgon / Butler / Rayner / Allin Khan.

(Was torn between Burgon and Butler but Burgon made a lot of the right noises over the weekend so finally plumped for him).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Azza Bamboo posted:

Corona virus may just provide the government with the excuse it needs for why brexit has nothing to do with the economy being poo poo.

Given they spent 12 years saying that the global financial crisis of 2008 caused by US banks was Labour's fault (despite Brown being praised for his actions preventing the UK from experiencing the worst of it), we have to go on the attack and say that it is their fault because they were too poo poo to know how to manage it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Anyone else secretly thinking 'phew, Labour govt aren't having to manage these crises (floods, viruses, economy collapse, brexit etc) and getting the blame' while having to cope with PLP shenanigans, anti-semitism smears and so on?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/markdistef/status/1234457036856885250?s=21

An interesting point. State broadcasters are useful for rapidly disseminating official information in emergencies, but they have to build up a solid base of credibility beforehand.

I thought that was what The Archers were for. (My folks - well just my mum now- have listened religiously every day sometimes twice a day to The Archers for my entire life. Does my head in.)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Apparently the fuckwits in No. 10 did not invite Sadiq Khan to the COBRA meeting on Coronavirus.
How absolutely loving fuckity gently caress moronic.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Becoming an accidental landlord chat:

Also don't forget that in most local authorities these days you will have to register to be a landlord and that could cost anything from £35 to £500 and from the very near future you could get done for cold houses or mouldy houses let alone all those certificates mentioned by Lungboy.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

This sort of scenario is a good justification for a universal basic income.

Government could order everyone to stay home.

If UBI = NMW £8.72 (? didn't check), 35 hours pw, approx 30million of working age, est cost £9bn per week.
Some employers might pay on top of that.

Or alternatively issue ration books / have army deliver rations or whatever and pay a lower rate. (During the Egyptian revolution, there was a 3pm curfew. Every night the army would come and fill up the shelves in the local shops - but you couldn't buy anything because there was no cash in the ATMs and card use in shops was quite minimal then).

I'm surprised (not really) that there doesn't seem to be a contingency plan that they could more or less pull off the shelf - every local authority has a Disaster Management department I think?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Not even as cheque guarantee cards?

In the 90s (and even into the 00s for smaller newsagents and corner shops) most of them wouldn't take card directly, but they'd only take cheque with guarantee, either through using an imprinting machine to whack your debit card imprint on the back of your cheque or just asking you to write the numbers on.

It was popular the week before payday because you get (got, at any rate) a few days before clearance, and you can postdate a cheque (with the agreement of both parties, the newsagent would normally pay them in at the end of the week).

It was in Egypt - most people didn't have the same kind of banking things we have here and shops were mostly strictly cash only and a deposit account at the bank. Things have changed in the last few years, but many still deal in cash only.

Shoes chat:

I think it's probably a pre-boomer thing.
It's only in the last few years of his life that my dad thought wearing slippers in the house when you are otherwise dressed for the day instead of shoes was acceptable.
I remember my nans always wearing shoes in the house, though women were allowed things called 'house shoes' - not necessarily slippers. They might be high heeled things with a sort of fur trim (great for catching spilt marmalade in).
Also in the days when a lot of cooking was done from scratch, it was safer in the kitchen! I believe it was Mrs Beeton who thought 'stout boots' should be worn in the kitchen!

I don't ask visitors to take shoes off usually (except muddy trainers) but most do.

Guavanaut posted:

My nan was obsessive about shoes off, there's probably a cultural as well as practical dimension. Also boots back then would have horse poo poo on them.

Obviously our nans were from different universes!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 3, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bardeh posted:

All these stories about hand sanitiser selling out everywhere, but isn't a plain old bar of soap supposed to be better at preventing spread?

I think it's intended for those times when you don't have access to soap and water (eg if travelling and the tap in the bog on the coach or train or dodgy cafe doesn't emit water).
Also there was something about alcohol killing the viruses - haven't kept up with all the rumours so not sure what happened to that one.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Decent long article in the Graun on 10 years of austerity:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/mar/03/lost-decade-hidden-story-how-austerity-broke-britain

quote:

Between 2010 and 2020, Conservative cuts destroyed the fabric of society as we know it. Speaking to people on the frontline reveals the ways our lives have been changed for ever
Polly Toynbee and David Walker

What happened in the UK between 2010 and 2020 will scar us for the rest of our lives. David Cameron’s Conservatives, only just victorious in the 2010 election, sold austerity as a necessary response to the 2008 financial crash. The exact social consequences of these cuts were spelled out last week in Michael Marmot’s report for the Institute of Health Equity: for the first time in a century, life expectancy has stopped growing and for women in poor areas actually fallen.

etc etc

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

Eh, if the Guardian actually cared, they'd have supported Labour. They're perfectly happy in their comfort zone, writing hand-wringing articles safe in the knowledge that nothing's going to get done about it.

Yes I know, but this is still quite a decent article even if Toynbee co-wrote it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

someone I used to work with in retail had alcohol sanitiser because she was convinced currency was an insane source of all sorts of contagions, I always thought she was being overzealous but eh who knows now

She's not wrong:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24571076

quote:

Future Microbiol. 2014;9(2):249-61. doi: 10.2217/fmb.13.161.
Paper money and coins as potential vectors of transmissible disease.
Angelakis E1, Azhar EI, Bibi F, Yasir M, Al-Ghamdi AK, Ashshi AM, Elshemi AG, Raoult D.
Author information
Abstract
Paper currency and coins may be a public health risk when associated with the simultaneous handling of food and could lead to the spread of nosocomial infections. Banknotes recovered from hospitals may be highly contaminated by Staphylococcus aureus. Salmonella species, Escherichia coli and S. aureus are commonly isolated from banknotes from food outlets. Laboratory simulations revealed that methicillin-resistant S. aureus can easily survive on coins, whereas E. coli, Salmonella species and viruses, including human influenza virus, Norovirus, Rhinovirus, hepatitis A virus, and Rotavirus, can be transmitted through hand contact. Large-scale, 16S rRNA, metagenomic studies and culturomics have the capacity to dramatically expand the known diversity of bacteria and viruses on money and fomites. This review summarizes the latest research on the potential of paper currency and coins to serve as sources of pathogenic agents.

Unfortunately I do not have access to the full paper. Perhaps our resident microbiologist does?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I suspect it's because the only people who would read it do not know how does computer, therefore the solution is good enough.

Up until recently you could read the Independent premium without registering by right clicking, view page source, copy an pasting into notetab lite, pressing the 'remove all html tags' to remove all the crud (which is why I say Notetab Lite' - not aware of another free text editor that will easily zap all the html crud) and then read it.
They seemed to have tightened up though I've managed to catch a couple.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

baka kaba posted:

you can do f12 to get into dev tools, go into the Console tab and type document.body.innerText and that should do the same thing (might depend on the level of malarkey)

Thanks for that - seems to work.
(But also the page I tried it on just now loaded so slowly that I did the stop the page loading trick and that worked too - but stopping trick didn't work on another one).

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If you want to read it so badly couldn't you just I dunno buy the newspaper?

(a) it's only available online now
(b) it's only the occasional premium article I want to read - and quite often there's only an extra paragraph after the paywall.

I suppose technically it's stealing which troubles my conscience a little but I just can't afford to buy all these online newspapers just for the odd article here and there. I ought to make more effort to go to the library or get the library's app working on my computer.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 4, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

I don't get this. Why don't older people ever seem to want to change/ improve? If someone was telling me something was wrong I would at least listen.

I think a lot of it is fear. They think they know how 'the system' works (or have been boiling frogged into it) but change brings uncertainty which means mental energy having to be spent on yet another thing. I have always thought that the Thatcherite 'freedoms' (choose your kid's school, choose your hospital, choose your GP, choose your dentist etc), worrying about pensions, or your funeral costs and so on, is about keeping people so bogged down in daily minutiae that they don't have the mental energy to be worrying about what their Lords and Masters are up to.

If you could send your kids to any school, go to any hospital, get NHS treatment at any dentist, and all those services were very good in every place, your mind would be freed up.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Mar 4, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

mehall posted:

Have you considered that all property is theft?

Good point. In which case I am a big thief already .. looks round living room .....

I was just thinking (yes, really) maybe they could have a pay per article as in say 5p or thereabouts and cap it at the monthly cost.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

triangular man posted:

Sorry if this has been thoroughly discussed, I'm always about 50 pages behind in this thread.

I've got my ballot for the leadership vote and I'm not sure what happens if you leave someone off your list? Will not placing Starmer anywhere mean he doesn't get any points or does it just put him as my 3rd choice?

I think it just means that if your first choice loses the round, and you haven't put a second or third choice, then there are fewer votes going into second / third round.
I just put RLB - couldn't decide between Nandy or Starmer. So just means if RLB doesn't get through round 1, that's it for my leader votes. (I still think Starmer will win round 1 because of all the £25 entryists).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Saros posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vd052fdurm2a0c/fmb.13.161.pdf?dl=0

Short version, money bad, paper money very bad, coins less bad depending on the amount of copper in them.

Notes that have been through a hospital probably have MRSA contamination.

Wash your hands!

Thanks!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Traveller consultation:

I see that there's a link to a much shorter form that gives permission to FFT to complete the long one on your behalf:

https://www.gypsy-traveller.org/campaigns/how-to-respond-to-government-plans-to-strengthen-police-powers-against-gypsies-and-travellers/

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I expect it to achieve precisely gently caress and/or all, but maybe someone might see it and think "are we going to piss off the rural seats with this?"

I haven't noted a particularly strong ability to think of 'consequences' (intended or otherwise) amongst the electorate.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sanford posted:

When my new pet beetles are scared they stick their bum in the air and it looks like a scary little monster. My wife says I was more visibly delighted by this than I was when our daughter was born.

Pet beetles?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

thespaceinvader posted:

ugh our mortgage fixed rate can't be extended until January next year, I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on it early and eating the early repayment charge, in case Brexit plays havoc with interest rates.

What think, thread, is it worth doing, just in case?

I'd probably be looking at taking out a ten year fixed rate, just to stabilise costs for as long as possible, even though it would make the monthly cost a little higher.

If you are any good with spreadsheets, I would set one up with continuing as you are and adding 0.25% interest to the repayment every 6 months until you hit a ceiling of say 6.5% (you can check but that was what I was paying in 2007 before I went abroad to live), then do another one for early repayment and new mortgage for 10 years and see where it takes you after 10 years, which looks best.
And maybe a third column where you continue as you are, but set aside the amount you would pay on the new mortgage (and the early repayment charge) and every year pay whatever you have set aside off the current mortgage.

(Spreadsheets are my secret fetish. I have many spreadsheets).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 4, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Speaking of how's the saj doing?

Possibly becoming a menace to the government on the backbenches according to the Torygraph.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Marenghi posted:

I take time off when I have the flu so as not to infect others. But drat if some co-workers and your boss won't make you feel like a freeloader for not coming into work.

I've had those same co-workers go home at lunch time dripping sweat because the flu they thought they could work through started kicking in.

Also, Scottish parliament is so civilized. Used to the English ones where they'd be braying in disapproval when someones speaking.

In my last full-time job where I was quite senior, one of our biggest clients demanded my attendance at a meeting (which was destined to be a rather difficult meeting) even though I had flu (really flu not a bad cold) and my boss did not turn round and say 'no she's ill' and go herself or arrange another senior person to go (a more junior person would not have been acceptable) so I tanked up on meds and went.
I was patently so ill that the client sent me home in a taxi.
This was one of the reasons I decided to opt out of the rat race.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Private Speech posted:

I mean, there's some depressing ones. Like:

E: Oh by the way that's your tax money hard at work:

But clearly we can't let migrants off easily, 34000 pounds a year is a drop in a bucket compared to the damage a stray migrant could do.

That's absolutely dreadful.
I wonder what reason they cancelled his visa at Heathrow? Business visas are bloody hard and expensive to get.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

Could I use the UKMT collective brain for a moment? There's a theory that basically says journalism seems plausible until it's in a subject you're educated in. I can't remember what it's called and am finding it hard to define in a way that Google finds it.

Does anyone know?

Ah yes - the great day my nan discovered that The Sun does not report the truth! In the 1970s my nan and I were watching the TUC Conference on TV (such was the exciting life we lead) and while all the delegates were generally mooching around in the conference hall, a tiny union - Licensed Victuallers or something like that - moved a motion to have the T&G (biggest union in the UK at the time) expelled from the TUC and it got voted through (because people weren't paying attention). So for a few minutes the T&G delegates all had to leave. I can't recall exactly the ins and outs but they got back in again after a relatively short time the same day.

Anyway, next day my nan was reading The Sun and they reported on this but what they said bore no resemblance to what we had seen live on TV. I remember the shock on her face as she sat there saying "but that's not what happened!"

Another time, I used to take Private Eye at more or less face value then around 25 years ago they had something in their Doing the Rounds section concerning my actual direct boss of the time and it was completely untrue.

My last anecdote on the topic - during the 2013 'not a coup' in Egypt when Morsy got ousted, the Guardian's reporter on what was going on was basically bollox. This was probably when I started taking the Guardian much less seriously as a newspaper.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

bessantj posted:

Payroll intermediary. I did shifts for McGinley, High Output and Colas and they give the cash to a company called "Payme" who I had to sign up with and am employed by them some how. It's Payme that take the £16 processing fee for me to get my money. The person at High Output I talked to said "don't worry it'll never get above £20 no matter how much you earn." I did want to say something back but it's not her doing so what would be the point.

If you're contracting, couldn't you add the payment to your invoice as 'expenses'?
Maybe those firms you did shifts for don't realize that you have to pay to get your money via payme?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Elizabeth Warren just pulled out.
Does this mean it's Sanders v Biden for the democratic nomination?

(Sorry I know this is USpol but it affects us all ultimately).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

XMNN posted:

literally on a plane about to take off for Belfast international, what sort of torture are we talking about here

iss it cbt?

I was there last September, I didn't think it was too bad for a regional airport (flew from Bristol).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Reminds me of a comic strip called The Driver. Of a trucker with an impossibly long trailers behind him

Made me think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd5ZLJWQmss

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

A friend's going mad on FB posting covers of Guns of Brixton. I like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF2vUCaYt30

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I legitimately thought Wilko's went bankrupt about 10 years ago.

You're probably thinking of Woolworths.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I expect this is a bot but on the other hand I'm pretty sure there are people who think like this and think they have a choice in the matter!

https://twitter.com/christi90551674/status/1235703303696236545?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Communist Thoughts posted:

Re: sick leave

When I worked night shift in sainsbos our shift manager gave a big speech about how too many people had been sick and he didn't care if was illegal the next person to call in sick would be fired.
The next day he was off sick

Years ago in the days of floppy disks, an edict from on high went out that anyone found with a virus on their computer would get sacked.
Our boss said everyone had to bring their floppy disks to me to be virus checked.
Well apart from trying to get people to understand that everytime their disk went in and out of another computer (a lot of people were doing evening classes, day release etc to get professional qualifications so they were swapping info from place to place) it needed checking again, the people most responsible for transmitting computer viruses were the senior management.
Needless to say they did not fire themselves.