Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So in non-virus ISP chat.

It turns out Three is a complicated mess of a company to deal with.

Basically i took out a 4G home broadband contract with them back in Feb (some of your might remember my woes with their unhelpful international call centers), but a week or two ago 5G launched in my home town (a silly tiny spec of a place).

I assumed it would be a simple enough job to ring them up and ask for an upgrade in which they'd:
- send out the 5G router
- give me a week or something to test the signal
- ask for the 4G router to be sent back
- bump my monthly payments up from £20-£35 or whatever it is.

Simple right? After all, my sim card is supposedly already 5G enabled. I just need a 5G router.

Nope. After playing pass the parcel with various customer support and technical teams (none of whom spoke to each-other about the case) the last person i spoke to told me my 2 year contract is with Three, but the 5G contracts are with Relish which was acquired by Three a few years back.

"It's just our branding on it you see"

No, i don't bloody see. You're the same company now.

She told me there's no way to upgrade my broadband contract with them and i'd have to take out a new 5G one (with Relish). True or not? gently caress knows, but maybe worth bearing in mind if you're planning on taking out any Three internet any time soon.

As it is, i'm actually better off following the advice i initially got from the guy in the local Three store and just buy myself a 5G sim router when they're available and just keep paying the £20 a month to Three. Sure it'll be a bigger upfront cost but i'll probably save myself money in the long run.

How is this company still running with such lovely service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's the case with basically all ISPs because we're at a point of development where the system either works perfectly or not at all. You don't need me stuck in a basement in Blackheath reading out Hayes Command Set instructions for you to type into your modem to squeeze out a few extra kbps from your aluminium line, some wispy nerd at the other end of the country has pushed out a config that just works for almost every customer in the country.

Of course because of this (and the race to the bottom in pricing) this means when things go wrong companies just don't have the expertise to actually deal with stuff outside the models that they've built of how they've set up the system.

You would have expected the basic account/connection package to be sorted out though.

If what I was told is true anyone taking out the minimum 2 year 4G broadband package with Three can't actually make the switch to 5G until that contact's up and they take out a new one.

All their sales guys are implying differently though. They say that the SIMs are 5G enabled so we can "seamlessly make the switch" when 5G arrives.

Edit: meanwhile I think the launch of 5G on my town has broken the 4G+. My devices connect to it when they first start up but, without fail, they both drop to 4G within half an hour.

Switching off the 4g and then reconnecting to it gets me back onto it every time, but it drops again every time too. Just can't seem to maintain a permanent connecting. Any tech reason why that might be?

Kin fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 8, 2020

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Welp, i'm due to get married on the 28th March. My fiancée is starting to freak out because of the news today and one family of 4 have pulled out because they've got a child with prior respiratory issues.

I'm trying to calm her down because she's talking about not even bothering to reschedule it given all the effort it took to arrange the wedding so far, but i am a little apprehensive myself.

We luckily remembered to take out wedding insurance at the beginning of the week before they insurers shut their doors today, so i think we're covered if everything gets cancelled on us (though maybe not if we end up having to cancel it ourselves due to low numbers).

It's not even a big wedding really, just 70 folk during the day and topping out at 110 in the evening so i'm hoping it's not thought of as some big gathering by everybody that'll put them off coming.

Obviously we can't control what other people end up deciding they want to do, but is there anything i can mention about the virus to reassure her that things are likely to be fine.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

stev posted:

My wedding's in September and I'm pretty loving on edge about it.

I have insurance but this is such an unprecedented situation. gently caress knows if it'd be covered.

My wedding is supposed to be in 2 weeks. How do you think i loving feel?

We got insurance before they closed the doors on it, but the venue isn't saying anything about cancellation and all of the suppliers are carrying on as normal.

Our worry is that even if 80% of the people drop out, we can still technically have a wedding as the venue had a minimum number of people but that was just for cost, not for going ahead with things. As such, if they put the onus of cancelling on us, and we do, then the insurance might not cover it because we could have gone ahead with the wedding.

It's a bit of a shitter because we've already had 6 people drop out because they fit into the higher risk category and want to avoid all unnecessary contact with other people until the whole thing blows over.

We really don't need this after the year we've had :/

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Welp, wedding postponed until October. Knowing my luck that'll be when Russia invades or something.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

CGI Stardust posted:

Italy went into lockdown on March 9th, for us that's 2 days away. Hope the government beat the curve by a whole day and do it tomorrow instead!

What am I saying, they'll do it by the end of next week when we're hitting 200 deaths per day

Is that 200 in addition to the average daily deaths in the UK or part of it (due to overlapping with folk who are elderly and ill already)?

Like it's all well and good throwing around numbers like 200 a day, but it doesn't convey the consequences as well unless it's taking a pre-existing average of something like 1500 daily deaths up to 1700 or something (an 11% increase).

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Angepain posted:

i hope they manage to keep making tunnocks caramel wafers

e: "manage" as in "without endangering the employees", i want to clarify, i'm not that desperate for my wafer fix

We'll probably be using them as currency in a post apocalyptic world.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

It'll be interesting to see what dynamics this adds to shopping.

Like are we going to see another sudden spike in "essential" grocery shopping tomorrow (or right now) that clean the supermarkets out?

If the shops don't restock quick enough will that not just repeat day after day?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Trip report from my local Tesco Superstore.

We went last night at 6pm and it was fairly quiet, but shelves were pretty bare.

We managed to get something equivalent to most of the stuff we usually buy, but in a lot of cases they were the last things on the shelf.

There were no queues for going in and out, but they did have a policy of closing off one aisle completely while they restocked it. They were only doing that on one aisle hen we were there though so i dunno if it was that effective. We were there for a half hour and they were still just stocking that isle. Could have been short staffed but could also just be that Tesco isn't that great. I dunno.

The only things i wasn't able to get was toilet paper and cereal. The store seems to be perpetually out of stock, but I think there's a link there.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

MR.B posted:

Filling an isle can take quite a while im afraid. Although it varies from isle to isle. For example, Cereal is real easy, but household can take bloody ages.

Customers are being a bit more reasonable now and not huffing and puffing at every gap on the shelves. People are also queuing sensibly and not moaning now.

Yeah, that's the thing i don't know how long it takes to do that sort of thing and it was the meat isle (packaged meat, pies and all that), so there were probably a few hundred different items to stock up.

I thought the idea was good at first (locking people out of it) but it just felt like they were focused too much on the one aisle or didn't have the staff available to follow through on that plan as the rest of the store started to dry up.

I'm playing 2 point hospital right now so i'm fascinated by the different operational optimisations that are getting put into place to manage supply and demand.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

One of my relatives has coeliacs so if we're going places to eat or whatever, I always say 'she MUST have gluten free, it's coeliacs disease, not a 'lifestyle' thing'.

In a strange anecdote, I recently went into a Frankie and Bennys with a friend who has a servere nut allergy.

When he mentioned it, they came back and made him sign a waiver before ordering.

I've never seen that before, it was surreal.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

my local Tesco Extra had at least some of everything except for flour (but I didn't check the booze aisles)

We popped in to the local super store this evening (about 7pm) and it was like night and day compared to the same time last Friday. Almost all the shelves were full and there was an abundance of things like hand sanitiser and toilet paper.

Either the initial surge is over, the shops have figured out better supply chains or a Monday evening is the best time to go grocery shopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

StarkingBarfish posted:

Funnily enough we had just started discussing moving to it towards the end of last year. I was having meetings on it occasionally to test it out, then CERN closed completely and all meetings went remote, the previous solution we were using poo poo the bed under the extra load and most meetings that could moved over to zoom.

It's probably better than microsoft Teams and its limited 4 simultaneous screens view. Nothing quite like a visual communication medium capping you at 4 loving people before it shuffles out the quietest person in the room.