Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Even though I doubt I'll get paid unless I catch it, I could go for a 2 week self quarantine tbh. Catch up on my video/board games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

theyve said alot about old people dying better from corona virus. Is it the same for babies and children?

No, as of yet there hasn't been a single reported fatality of any children. They seem to only get mild symptoms.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The new Kent infection that's being reported today is near me, in Maidstone Studios - a big office building with people coming and going from all over the place because they also record TV shows there. We actually went out today and bought a freezer full of food and a few dozen tins of veggies / beans / fruit. I doubt we'll need to use it, but it's a comfort to know it's there, and in the event this whole thing fizzles out we can just eat it all anyway. I expect the advice tomorrow will be to tell employers to let employees work from home if at all possible, and to self-quarantine at the first sign of any vaguely similar symptoms.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
My wife has just told me that one of her coworkers was at the hotel in Tenerife that got locked down last week. She was allowed to come back, and went into work yesterday. We have no idea if she was tested or not before she was allowed to come back, and she didn't tell anyone until afterwards...yikes

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

um when was the confirmed case isolated from the other people in the hotel? with 2-14 days incubation she should be self-isolating to be safe. there's a reason the uk rightfully did another 14 day quarantine after people got back from that cruise

Unfortunately we don't know any other details. Pretty pissed off that she's gone into work without telling anyone about it until after the fact though. You'd like to think that anyone returning from that hotel would have been tracked and tested, but I have no idea if that's the case or not.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

My boss came in this morning (small business, he owns it) and told us flat out that if we have to self-isolate 'you can gently caress off if you think I'm paying you.'

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Junior G-man posted:

Small business tyrants really are some of the worst loving people.

Yeah - I've learned this. Dude can be nice as anything, but he's a clock watcher and a control freak. We work 45 hour weeks, and he's constantly saying how he can't ever find people who 'want to go the extra mile' - meaning staying late unpaid to show loyalty, basically. Fuuuuck that. 45 hours is already a long fuckin week, especially for what he's paying me.

This is the first time I've ever worked for a small business, and while I'm getting what I wanted from the job (skills to take me further in the industry), it's tiring having to deal with his whims. Luckily I'm mostly based in a small satellite office so I mostly work on my own, and if I can stick it out for a year or two I can move onto somewhere larger where I won't have people constantly breathing down my neck.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't even want to imagine the twisted and disgusting personage of someone who doesn't take their shoes off around the house, or, even worse, when visiting other's houses.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
It must be the Brexit voters tbh

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
To you shoes-in-house-wearers - when someone comes to your house and starts taking their shoes off, as is only polite, do you then insist they put them back on?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man, this is wild. There are people out there clomping around their house with shoes on all the time. What a world we live in.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
If I don't take my shoes off when I go inside, how is anyone ever going to see my cool socks? In a world of permanent shoes, there would be no reason for comedy socks to exist, and that's a world I don't want to live in :colbert:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

how many people work there? try talking to a few of them and seeing if they're willing to think about organising, one of the benefits of a small business is you don't need to get too many people onside before the threat of striking becomes incredibly effective

Less than 20. The majority of the employees are either related to the owner, friends of the owner, or in-laws of the owner. It's incestuous as gently caress.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've taped up my bumhole, nostrils, mouth, and eyes. There's no way for the virus to get in. It's just common sense.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
All these stories about hand sanitiser selling out everywhere, but isn't a plain old bar of soap supposed to be better at preventing spread?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thailand has the little bum guns in every toilet and I miss them now I don't live there anymore. Sometimes the water pressure is high enough that you're basically giving yourself a colonic every time you poo :freakout:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was cooking a recipe earlier and it called for 500g of fillet steak, so I went to the butcher nearby (which is weirdly in a petrol station) and asked for 500g of fillet steak and went to pay for it and it was 27 loving quid, and because I hadn't checked the price I only found out at the till and there was a queue behind me and I couldn't face asking to take it back to the butcher section because it was too expensive, so I kept my expression neutral and pretended like it was perfectly normal for me to spend 27 smackers on a relatively small piece of beef.

So now I'm cross with the stupid simplycook people for having a recipe that calls for nearly 30 quid of meat, cross with myself for not knowing that fillet steak is the most expensive cut, and cross that the beef stroganoff I cooked with it, while nice, wasn't 30 quid nice by a long loving shot.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Why the gently caress are you/they making stroganoff with loving filet steak :psyduck:

It's covered in sauce, you can slow cook some stewing steak or whatever and dump the sauce all over it.

Yeah, it's loving stupid and I am stupid :( I cooked a small slice of it by itself just to see what all the fuss was about, and yeah, it's tender, but there's no fat on it so it's got nowhere near as much flavour as a nice bit of sirloin or ribeye.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

She shat out this today:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/10/i-wish-everyone-strength-however-they-identify-suzanne-moore

seems like her spiritual awakening from going to Amsterdam and smoking a bit of weed has opened her mind so much she's quoted a bit of Foucault

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo she's probably infected the entire house

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Half my job is office based, half is site based all over Kent and Sussex. The office based stuff I can easily do from home, but it's dependent on the site based stuff. I reckon I've got enough work to last me a week, but my boss is a poo poo and probably won't let us work from home until one of us actually gets it.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
No but seriously when are they going to start shutting poo poo down? I feel like if we wait even a week longer it'll be too late.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
There's a new Path of Exile league starting tonight, the new Half Life game is out soon, and I still haven't been asked to work from home, just a vague suggestion from my supervisor that I concentrate on site-based work to build up a backlog of office-based stuff.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
a bloke just keeled over and died in my local tesco :wtf: who knows if it's virus related but loving hell

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just went to Rochester, high street seemed normal if relatively quiet, but then there was an older woman who'd collapsed in the doorway of a Holland and Barrett and an ambulance zoomed up and took her away. In all likelihood just a fall, but my anxiety levels shot through the roof and we came straight home. The guy in the vape shop was bug-eyed and talking about his cousin in the SAS (lol) who told him we're getting locked down in 3 days and not to drink tap water. I'm not usually a particularly anxious person but gently caress, I think I gotta take a break from reading/listening to the news.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

What's a good not too expensive bidet toilet seat I fancy getting one and if anyone is going to recommend a good poo poo cleaner it's s goon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aizhy-Sprayer-Stainless-Shattaf-49-inch/dp/B07BLS2HMD/

these are the ones I always used to use abroad - works a treat and is apparently easy to install

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Got a text on the work group Whatsapp that they're having a meeting tomorrow based on the new advice from the government today, and will let us know what the result is tomorrow. We're a small company of 14 people - conceivably most of us can do at least some of our work from home, so I guess we'll see what happens. If this thing goes on for months as it's almost certainly likely to, work is gonna dry up though.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

Doctors are reporting that paracetamol might cause nasty complications if you actually do have covid, so might wanna be careful with that

No they aren't.

People, if you're going to spout facts that you half-remember, or aren't certain of...could you check first?

The actual advice was that anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen are possibly bad, not paracetamol, but that if Ibuprofen is all you have and your fever is raging, it's probably better to take one than suffer.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Paracetamol isn't an anti-inflammatory, it's fine to take. Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory, there's some evidence it might not be good to take.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Some more up to date stats:

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1239680850398195714

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Currently awaiting the results of the meeting at my company to decide what we're doing re: working from home. Meanwhile, speaking to the client this morning about what's going on with site visits, and he didn't understand what I meant.

"Eh? Why would it change? Book the visits as normal." Holy gently caress.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just went over to the shops to get spring onions and coriander for dinner - it was very quiet in there, all pretty normal tbh. The only thing was there were no eggs, no rice, no pasta. But shelves full of pulses, dried beans, tinned fish (no tuna but plenty of sardines/pilchards/mackerel) Are people really going to be eating pasta and jarred sauces for months? It's loving weird that all the actually nutritional shelf-stable foods are left in favour of pasta and rice.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've taken my kid out of school because gently caress that. Told them he had a cough, and by the time that period of self-isolation is up they'll all be closed anyway.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1239994290744496131

https://mobile.twitter.com/steve_hawkes/status/1239967009783173124

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm starting to think I've got the roni, but I don't know if I'm just overthinking things and letting anxiety get the better of me.

I had a flu a couple of weeks ago, which was around 5 days of fever and coughing up green poo poo - since then, my chest has been occasionally tight, but coughing brings up some clear mucus and all is good. But last night I woke up feeling short of breath, managed to cough up some more completely clear mucus, felt better if a bit shivery, and went back to sleep. Woke up this morning feeling completely fine. But as the day's worn on my chest is starting to feel tighter, and it's like I can't cough the crap up, it's just stuck there. Still no fever, and no tickle in my throat compelling me to cough, but I kinda need to in order to try and shift whatever's in there.

Ugh, if I had a fever I'd be pretty certain, but because I haven't had one I'm second guessing myself and wondering if I'm just overthinking and worrying over nothing. I guess I'll see what happens tonight - not really looking forward to it :(

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oodles posted:

Didn’t Italy just report a massive increase in deaths yesterday. It’s cheer me up to be proved wrong.

Yes, but the deaths are delayed as compared to the infection rate. We want to look at the infection rate slowing, and the death rate will naturally follow along with that in time. As far as I can see Italy hasn't yet released their latest numbers though.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
well holy poo poo, my boss can shut us down now - I'll take 80% pay without having to do any work, yes please.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
lmao, so me, on £26000 will get £20,800 assuming the client temporarily shuts down (increasingly likely) and we run out of work.

Meanwhile, my mum, a self-employed Podiatrist earning probably close to £80k, can apply for UC and get £94 a week or whatever it is :psyduck:

Materially it won't affect her too much because she has plenty of savings and will be fine, but it highlights the absurdity of these plans, welcome as they will probably prove to be for me personally.

Why the hell don't they just do UBI?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

large_gourd posted:

am i missing something? because UBI is basically what they are doing. universal credit is going to be £1317 a month.

Yep, I just saw that. Holy moly this is pretty loving huge, it's going to be really difficult for them to cut benefits all the way back once this is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nettle Soup posted:

Welcome to "Why I haven't bought a switch"

The Smyth's near me are saying they've got 11 in stock...it's so tempting despite the fact I've got a PS4 and PC already...Animal Crossing looks like the sort of game I would never normally play, but would absolutely LOVE to play at this moment in time...