Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

EBB posted:

QUESTION: My census came in the mail today, and unlike last time it is two pages, has an access code, and directs me to go to a my2020census.gov. Discord's suspicion meter is rising. Legit/Not Legit?

It is legit. I listened to an interview this morning actually with the head census guy saying that is how they are doing it. If you don't use the website they keep mailing you that letter until like the 4th time and then they send the paper form.

Also, I don't *think* I reported you. If I did, it's my fault mods...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

So, a friend in DC is saying that there will be an announcement this evening with Trump mandating that all non grocery and/or pharmacies close for two weeks.

I'm calling bullshit as it would totally wreck the stock market along with the super panic it will cause.

So whats the over/under on him being right?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

ASAPI posted:

So, a friend in DC is saying that there will be an announcement this evening with Trump mandating that all non grocery and/or pharmacies close for two weeks.

I'm calling bullshit as it would totally wreck the stock market along with the super panic it will cause.

So whats the over/under on him being right?

So this is coming allegedly from someone in the State Dept. It's second hand though. Still not sure if they are dumb enough to do this...

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

New Jersey Gov just said that everything except grocery stores, pharmacies/hospitals, and gas stations MUST be closed by 2000. IF any business stays open there is a mandatory 50 occupancy limit.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Anyone else have a SO that is freaking the gently caress out? I can't figure out how to calm her down.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

bird cooch posted:

Yep. I started teaching her best practices, 1st aid and trauma aid, got food and stores and did everything I could to make her feel safe.

But she's the child of Serbian immigrants and her dad fought so there's always an underlying paranoia.

To all you guys who are having some sort of cold flu allergy maybe death symptoms just remember that a fever is the big indicator. So don't assume the worst until you have a fever and then when you have a fever assume you have the flu but take precautions. If you're feeling sick stay home.

Yeah, covered all that stuff. She panics when she sees others panic. I was hoping my staying calm would rub off. Instead I'm calm because, "I'm dead inside and the Army killed off any empathy I ever had".

Granted she isn't completely wrong....

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

bird cooch posted:

Fuckin same. I just went flat a week ago and that's been a big help. Just no emotion, my therapist would be pissed

We also used to have a ranch/farm so she understands stuff better when put into animal quarantine lingo.

Same. I just went into "deployment mode".

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Dow is going to open at about 1k points down according to the news. Likely due to the reports that came out saying that 18% of Americans have either lost their job or had hours reduced.

It's going to be a ride today.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Woofer posted:

They said mine was sent out and should be delivered by the end of the day today. We’ll see.

In other news, I’m sure this is going to be so unexpected by this forum:

https://twitter.com/attackerman/status/1240062628799680513?s=21

I just kissed my DD214...

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

So lets say he "restarts" the economy. Doesn't that just kill off all the people that would have voted for him?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Ok, "just" was a poor choice in words...

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

TCD posted:

Our college went online classes two weeks ago. A girl at my table just announced to our class that she's tested positive...

So - poo poo

Shouldn't you be displaying symptoms now if not soon? Assuming you are following the guidelines, you shouldn't be infecting anyone at least.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

That is a little late...

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

So serious question:

If you get notified that you were exposed to someone with the virus, do you quarantine for two weeks from the notification or start that timer from the last time you had the interaction?

I ask because the guidelines from the gov't seem to be assuming that everyone was collectively exposed, lock down for two weeks and see who ends up sick.

Also, how early can we detect the infection? Are we counting "infected" as a specific viral load or any detection of the virus?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

ElMaligno posted:

I just had to do an IRL roll for sanity check when command gave me an "essential personnel" paper to sign. Thankfully i was only hit with temporary Anxiety(general)!

They made you sign a paper stating you were essential? Do they think that works like a liability waiver?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

ElMaligno posted:

Its to show LE people that yes i am driving to work because im essential

Ahhhh.... That makes more sense. Get a large stick to keep your co-workers away with.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

The definition of "essential" needs to be reworked. Here in Austin the only people NOT working are waitstaff, teachers, and furniture sales.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Alaan posted:

https://twitter.com/beyerstein/status/1242842580347428864?s=19

Who has a good ad blocker and can tell me the "logic" behind this lunacy?

Other than the faster we kill a million people the sooner we can get to work. We already have several states barely hanging on and just going to get worse.

That is insane.

I can *almost* understand a call for very strict triage rules like in Italy (ie, old people will die, accept it). But this is insane. There is no way to guarantee the controlled rate of infection. This sounds like they were on some drugs and watching/reading bad scifi.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

God I hope that is real. I want him as my mayor.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

A bunch of people in my neighborhood are making masks and face shield holders, then sending them to the local hospital. All the local distilleries are making hand sanitizer.

Meanwhile, my sister in-law is sending my wife video clips of tanks on a train going through LA thinking it means martial law is pending.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

200+ new post in the CE thread since yesterday? What happened? Oh, just politics...

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Against who? Where? Smashing up a McDonald's in Idaho Falls or wherever won't do jack poo poo about the assholes controlling the government.

I bring this up all the time at work. Unless you have a very significant portion of the nation taking to the streets all at once, nothing will happen.

Everyone gets really quiet when people ask who is the first to die.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

So it seems that money that people really need will arrive in about 3 weeks...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2020/03/30/irs-gives-stimulus-check-timeline-payment-details/#5cfca56467bb

So in the mean time what are these people supposed to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

ded posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/california-protective-equipment-shortage-pushes-nurses-consider-drastic-action-n1168976

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2020/03/23/bay-area-kaiser-nurses-protest-lack-of-personal.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/health-care-workers-protest-lack-of-protective-equipment-2020-03-28/

The guidelines the CDC gave to the hospitals is not what they put out in the news. The hospitals did not go out of their way to buy proper PPE when they saw this coming because of it.

My knowledge of this is not some 5th hand bullshit or conspiracy nonsense. Up until the Kaiser nurses had a massive protest in the bay area the official stance was you do not need masks and gowns for every patient, and we will not accept donations of PPE nor can you use your own PPE.

My wife has been working with people doing donations from overseas to get critically needed PPE to the hospitals that need it. In addition to working long as hell hours at her own hospital.

I saw some of those stories about the nurses working for Kaiser. It's interesting how different areas are handling this. My area led off with, "send us your stuff, we are going to need everything we can get our hands on." Queue all the neighborhoods setting up sweatshops to make masks and 3d printers making face shield holders.

Other areas seem to be firmly in the camp of, "gently caress you, all of you can die"