Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I’m increasingly convinced the Hard Times has overtaken the Onion in quality satire, and that also the Hard Times isn’t satire anymore.

Oh absolutely, the Onion’s best writers have been gone more than a decade. It’s SNL level dreck now.

Meanwhile hard times is running a gamer for President:
https://mobile.twitter.com/GamerPres2020/status/1223302652051836928

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I live in Kirkland and it’s weird to see WaPo sending reporters to the Fred Meyers where I was grocery shopping yesterday. The pasta and ramen sections were nearly cleared out, but it wasn’t as bad as a snowstorm a few years ago.

Regarding Costco’s being swamped, apparently they were doing “day before Christmas” numbers but hadn’t planned so staff levels weren’t increased. Great company but not good at making quick decisions.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Alaan posted:

Worked retail supervisor for too long: good loving luck sour of the moment up staffing. "yeah, can you come in and work a hell shift on your day off? No???"

Oh yeah understandable, especially if it’s just one or two stores, but with hordes stockpiling nationwide you’d think Costco would have issued some central guidance beyond “figure it out.” Especially regarding limiting sales of sanitizer or TP, so the first guy through the door can’t buy up pallets for resale.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I went to Costco on Friday. Still plenty of TP and bottled water left, but it was crowded and you could tell there’s a bit of panic buying going on. I’ll bet it’s only gotten more intense since then- all of my local CVS are out of hand sanitizer. Fortunately neither my wife nor I are on any critical prescription meds, but we do have plenty of extra of our dog’s prescription and plenty of food for him.

If you’re still stocking up, I’d recommend getting shelf-stable and comfort foods in addition to calorically dense foods over going full prepper and getting MREs and tons of water. I don’t think it’s likely that municipal utilities are going down because of this thing, and if they do, we’re probably at the point where most of us will be begging to be half-life war boys in our neighborhood Immortan’s army.

Yeah don’t really see any reason to think water or electricity is going to be shut off. That wouldn’t make much sense, and hasn’t been mentioned in China or Italy. That seems like more of a worry for weather related disasters.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I’m trying to think of another presidential equivalent, maybe Buchanan refusing to take any action to mitigate the Civil War? Or Hoover and the depression, but at least he knew it was a problem but just refused to assist.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Don’t worry about vaccine availability, our plutocrats are already itching to jump the line
https://mobile.twitter.com/business/status/1234522880773361664

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

This is evil as hell. Don’t worry, useless health insurance corps, your profits from misery are safe!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Let’s check on our plutocrat masters:

quote:

Wall Street, Encouraged by Biden’s Wins, Breaks Out Its Checkbooks

Fearful of the more progressive candidates, some finance executives had sidelined themselves from the elections until Mr. Biden surged.

quote:

“There’s a lot of momentum on Biden’s side,” Mr. Novogratz said. Already, one of his colleagues at Galaxy Digital, a cryptocurrency investment firm, was planning a Biden fund-raiser. Mr. Novogratz himself was set to host a dinner Wednesday night to raise money for voter-registration efforts in swing states. Stocks, hammered in recent days over fears of the coronavirus — along with an undercurrent of worry about Mr. Sanders, according to some traders — were rallying as he spoke on Wednesday morning

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/04/business/wall-street-joe-biden-bernie-sanders.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Can’t wait for the weepy complaints that they can’t fly to Italy, take cruises, or get Costco free samples at will.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah I’m in King County and coworkers with kids are scrambling, and we have decent leave policies. Tons of parents who work hourly are gonna be in trouble, what are they supposed to do all day?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Ceiling fan posted:

They tell me the same thing about teleconferences too. But I've never seen one with more than 3 video feeds that wasn't a total clusterfuck.

A morning check in with 20 people on video went better than the usual in person meeting, as instead of having to feign interest in What Happened At Spin Class last night for fifteen minutes I could still work in a different window.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

A relative who was a pilot for American Airlines for decades retired a few years ago and took a lump sum rather than a pension, which in theory would be less but he didn’t trust them enough to be reliant on American Airlines management during retirement. This looks smarter each year.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

jesus christ americans are self-centred, sure theres a highly infectious global pandemic going on, but I'll riot if i cant group together with 50 other at risk people to ride my golf cart around.

They’d still be going on cruises and safaris if it were allowed.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

https://twitter.com/nicolesjchung/status/1244621613561241602

Glad to see Americans are reacting in a crisis in the way they know best, racism.

That’s so messed up. China isn’t telling older Americans to keep going to choir practice or pack pews.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

They don't but it's a few thousand people on a ship so yeah, poo poo spreads. There were a couple times I was about the only one not to get some form of gastroenteritis because I never used the handrails on the ladders and always washed my hands in the head next to the wardroom before I ate.

That's like Schwarzenegger getting food poisoning when filming Predator so he brought along a personal chef to Mexico City when making Total Recall and was the only one on set not to get wiped out by a catering snafu that was so bad the director needed an ambulance on standby.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Better than the $3 a day California pays inmates to fight forest fires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

bloops posted:

If y’all want to party, go check out the comments on LinkedIn on the Whole Foods/Instacart/Amazon strike.

loving yikes.

I believe it, what are they saying?