Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

smertrioslol posted:

Today I join the ranks of people beaten to a joke by what I can only imagine is years by South Park

I should probably start watching it again

Don’t get enough “both sides are wrong the truth is in the middle” in your media already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

smertrioslol posted:

Next you’re going to tell me I shouldn’t enjoy It’s Always Sunny too, right?

I’ve watched every single episode of Always Sunny and don’t remember a single episode that tried to both sides a current political issue seasoned with a pile of ~ironic~ anti-semitism.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

The closest I can even think of Always Sunny getting political is when Dennis and Dee tried to scam welfare and ended up finding out it’s actually pretty hard to get a worthwhile amount of money out of the system without a serious need

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

LongDarkNight posted:

There's no rule that says a dog can't be President.

Needing to be 35 weeds out most of them though

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

A cool thing about college is you don’t have time to go home to vote but also states keep making it harder for students to get residency where they’re going to school

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

GoGoGadget posted:

Does this mean Gallagher might still face some sort of justice?

The ICC doesn’t really have the ability to enforce anything beyond mean words

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

It's true, only the supporters of the Scoundrel Bernard are mean and negative on the internet. Everybody is super chill and cool.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

A while back, AIPAC was like "oh hey, there's a coronavirus scare, but everyone's ok, don't worry, but see your doctor if"

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1236065959644925953?s=19

We now have a whole lot of "if"s in the neighborhood of Congress.

What a shame if a bunch of AIPAC scum got it

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

I haven't heard of any asian folks getting jumped yet but I know it's a matter of time.

You're weeks behind

https://time.com/5797836/coronavirus-racism-stereotypes-attacks/

quote:

Jonathan Mok, a 23-year-old from Singapore, detailed on social media how he was allegedly attacked while walking down Oxford Street in central London on Feb. 24. He told the BBC that a group of four men told him we dont want your coronavirus in our country as they punched and kicked him, and also said he may need an operation on a broken bone near his right eye as a consequence of the attack.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Reminder that they were called the Me Generation until they were old enough to start controlling the media

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Excuse you I distinctly remember the Newsweek article with illustrations showing Sadam’s mobile weapons labs

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Denying he said the things he said during the debates is “electable” in the same way trump is “presidential”, I guess.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

“I’m not going to take your guns I just said I would and I’m definitely going to take most of them away so you can’t defend yourself”

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

In a city where average response times to priority calls was an hour in 2018 Biden is going Full Lib and telling people all they need is their huntin’ shotgun

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I don’t care that he can’t remember the names of things, that’s practically his signature move. I care that he’s once again showing that his a privileged Liberal who thinks his shotgun matters more than owning a gun for defense in a city like Detroit.

It’s not something that’s going to make somebody change their vote from one party to the other, but it’s definitely something that’s going to make people not vote at all

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

My university is (according to comments from one of my professors in lecture yesterday) considering transitioning all in-person classes to distance learning after spring break, all of my professors have amended attendance policies and almost are putting videos of each lecture online, and some are discussing how to change the exam formats since the exam days are the only time half the class shows up for some of these classes and packing the room full seems unethical

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

bird cooch posted:

It turns out that historically he has done what the black population at the time supported. For decades, even if it's not popular later.

So how long is like a reasonable amount of time for people to do this petulant hissy fit thing? I've got a couple of IRL dudes that are really turned out over this primary. Like gonna lose their jobs if they don't get it together. I'm trying to be understanding and giving people time to mourn for the candidate but we are grown ups.

The “petulant hissy fit” of... hating an incoherent centrist who won’t commit to improving anything

I just don’t understand why nobody under 40 is voting guys

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I’ll vote for Biden if he gets Corn Pop to be his VP. By all accounts he’s a real bad hombre

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Old Boot posted:

In fairness, some of this is accessibility. If you can't take time off work, you can't, and that's the end of it. Same, re: not being able to find a ride to your way-the-gently caress-far-away polling places, which was/is a huge obstacle atm.

Plus the people who got absentee ballots after the deadline.

Plus fatigue from suppression efforts on their entire generation.

It adds up. They aren’t insurmountable obstacles objectively speaking but for many people they clearly were

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

bengy81 posted:

Don't look at it as a vote for Biden or Trump. Look at it as voting to say you aren't ok with putting kids in cages.

Although I'm not entirely sure how Joe feels about that whole border situation...

Lol vote for the guy who started and still defends the practice or the guy who expanded it. What a great choice

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Today's my last day of in-person classes and I'm really struggling on whether I should go, with my uninsured fiance working from home.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

I'd say don't do it. The university my husband teaches at is starting online classes next week and until the end of the semester. Last night he asked me if he should have class tomorrow and I told him "no, just put it online starting immediately". There hasn't been a case where the school is but no reason to commute for a probably almost empty classroom

Yeah I decided to stay home. I haven't seen any Boulder County cases yet but the Denver region has a bunch so it's only a matter of time.

Pissed though because we were supposed to learn how to use an atlatl and start a fire today in Archaeology and those seem like useful skills

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Stay away from the hill and pearl.

That's pretty good advice even when there isn't a pandemic

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

US Berder Patrol posted:

are you taking ANTH 2200, Archaeology of Human History with Cameron? That class was dope af

It’s Bamforth this semester, but otherwise yes. It’s making me want to shift my focus to field archaeology over ethnography

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

SimonCat posted:

Chelsea Manning being released after a suicide attempt.

https://twitter.com/theappeal/status/1238211307389751296?s=19

Honestly forget she got herself put back in jail because she refused to testify against wikileaks

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Academia medical research goons: Its because people have gotten fatter (less starving? Food scarcity!) over 150 years and dont need to keep their body temperature as high to maintain good activity thanks to consistent caloric intake and reliable layers of fat and muscle.

grant funding right there go to town, get published

In the Sawbones episode about it, one possible explanation was that people used to just be constantly fighting off infections all the time

Speaking of infections, CU-Boulder just sent out an alert saying an employee had a "presumptive positive" test today

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

bloops posted:

I’ve got a trip to Utah in a week. Debating on cancelling. Any of you shifted travel plans?

Canceled my spring break plans to meet up with my dad and step-mom. Didn’t seem like a good idea with there having been cases on my campus and my dad and step-mom are both medical professionals at a small town clinic so getting them sick would be a huge hit to that community.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

ASAPI posted:

So, a friend in DC is saying that there will be an announcement this evening with Trump mandating that all non grocery and/or pharmacies close for two weeks.

I'm calling bullshit as it would totally wreck the stock market along with the super panic it will cause.

So whats the over/under on him being right?

My uncle at Nintendo...

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

No kidding. I got an old 70s/80s Schwinn exercise bike for $30 on Craigslist. It doesn't count calories or anything but I have earbuds and it has a timer so yeah I'm fine not paying hundreds.

Hell just get a fitbit or garmin smartwatch and it'll give you a much more accurate calorie count plus you'll also have halfway decent GPS coords just in case

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Sucker Punch is exactly the sort of exploitative fetish bait that it’s pretending to criticize. The only difference is that it turns to the camera and goes “isn’t this exploitation awful” and then goes straight back to it. I’d argue it’s worse than the typical sexist exploitation because it’s aware of how awful that is, but consciously does it anyways.

I’d be instantly skeptical of anybody claiming it’s a good MeToo movie

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Trump has Mnuchin speaking right now about how there might be work stoppage relief checks of about $1000 going out in the next couple weeks.

But what Trump really wants is a payroll tax holiday which somehow will help the people whose jobs were ordered to close by ????

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Went to bed with discomfort in right chest, woke up with it in both. Welp it was nice knowing ya. No fever though

Had a stuffy nose for a few weeks and had a mild cough this morning, been spending most of the day trying to remember what pneumonia feels like for comparison and avoiding saying anything that'll panic my fiance

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

gently caress imagine being at Ranger School while this started lol.

Imagine having symptoms appear halfway through lol

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Lol Trump just defended Tom Cotton and his conspiracy theories during his press conference

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Not only have the Republicans fully removed the mask, but are now actively mocking the press for acting as if the mask exists

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Holy poo poo shut the gently caress up about the DNC already guys, theres an extinction level event going on.

The DNC should do something about that

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I checked multiple grocery stores this past week looking for yeast and couldn't find any. I've got one packet in my cupboard and I might have to resort to starting a culture with it just so I can bake more than one thing this year.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BigDave posted:

My dad just bought some yeast to bake his own bread for the first time, and he's very seriousaly thinking about building a chicken coop and buying a few hens for fresh eggs.

I can't tell if he's crazy or forward thinking at this point.

Chickens and ducks are extremely easy to take care of and can be beneficial for your yard garden. It's basically free protein to get a couple of heirloom breed birds and keep them in your yard. Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds are good heirloom breed chickens for egg production. Buckeyes are great if you want them foraging more than eating feed, but they won't lay quite as often. For ducks, I'd recommend Khaki Campbells for eggs. Once they're about 4-6 months old you'll get an egg 4-6 days a week from them, and duck eggs are better than chicken eggs. They're also pretty calm compared to most other duck breeds and just quietly mutter to themselves rather than loud honking mostly.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Cayugas are the best heirloom breed of duck though because they're all black, lay grey eggs sometimes, and nobody actually knows who bred them, they just kind of showed up. They're mid-size too so you can eat them in a pinch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

I start crying when I see cute puppies so I'm not sure I'd have it in me to kill ducks. Chickens though, yeah. Done deal.

If you're gonna get ducks for meat, get drakes. The meat breed drakes are all giant assholes that you'll gladly slaughter when it's time.