Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

So apparently the local Costco is sold out of toilet paper, bottled water and tylenol. And bleach is hard to come by at the local grocery stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'd like to mention that I've got TWO bottles of bleach now motherfuckers (because I went to the store a week ago and through sheer coincidence bought bleach, hand sanitizer and toilet paper). I bought another one today though to have something to barter with when the trade caravans come by.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Oh and I also wanted to mention that I walked past an older guy talking to a younger guy and telling him that when he gets sick he straps onions to his feet with socks overnight and it cures him

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 2, 2020

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Godholio posted:

I'll print you a copy of GIP/CE's approved tv shows, comedians, politicians (this one updates regularly, so check back), and opinions.

Time to print a new one

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I suppose this is a current event. Reading the information on Covid-19 Age/Sex/Existing Conditions as a 30-39 year old my chances of dying from this (based on current estimates which I know may be wrong) is .2%. But by pre-existing conditions, if I have hypertension (and nothing else wrong with me) that number jumps to 6%. Am I reading this right, because 6% is a bit uncomfortable.

Number based on this link, which I know is a few days out of date: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

That's not super useful without full crosstabs of age+comorbidity, it's probably less "hypertension makes you more likely to eat poo poo and die" and more "being old makes you eat poo poo and die and olds are majorly overrepresented in the hypertension bucket"

That's what I was hoping/figuring but I had a mild panic moment there :v:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Notahippie posted:

The deep gnawing fear I have that this primary is feeding is that this is the majority of the Democratic party, to say nothing of America as a whole. I'm in my 40's and up to Obama literally every president elected in my life had a "gently caress the poor" plank in their platform. I don't think the median Democrat wants a progressive candidate, and I don't know what to do about it. I guess the options are organizing at the local level and letting the national level just continue to get worse and worse until people come around but that feels like giving up.

I really think it has to start from the ground up. People need to understand and be reconditioned at the local and state level to think that yes, things really can get better. Then once more progressives get into power you have a primary where the progressive voltron drops out and endorses the progressive frontrunner, not the situation we're in now.

Although I also think this needed to start 30 years ago at minimum.

e: At this point the goal of getting Biden into the white house is less about making things better and more about harm reduction.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Three imported COVID cases in MD :getin:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

My company told the Seattle office to telework for the foreseeable future. I'm presuming we're next considering Maryland just confirmed some cases.

Not sure where you are but if its DC or Nova all 3 cases are in Montgomery County so probably

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Patware posted:

isn't covid's incubation period up to like 27 days or something? or did that number get adjusted

I think the last I heard was that it's generally 3-5 days with outliers up to 2 weeks but I'm not 100% sure

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Lol the only reason anyone cared about Live Aid was to see, like, Queen and Led Zepplin. No one gave a gently caress about Ethiopia.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Welp

quote:

Three new cases reported Wednesday evening included a Baltimore County resident in his 60s who worked at the recent American Israel Public Affairs Committee in Washington, D.C.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Honestly if you're going to go big you might as well suspend travel from Asia too

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

USA is going to be the only country where COVID-19 kills children because we have homeless children dependent on school lunches to survive.

Hope you all get better soon.

On another note, Maryland just called up the Guard and closed schools for two weeks. Lunches will still be provided.

It's nice to live in a somewhat competent state.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Love to know how many people have both the financial and property capacity to stockpile 3 months worth of food.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Old Boot posted:

Nah, we'll be feeling the ripple effects of this for a few years at least.

Trump admin did an extremely good job of dismantling what would have already been a tepid response to this kind of outbreak, sight unseen.

This ties back to what I was saying before re:

a) Humans are poo poo at long-term risk assessment and disaster preparedness suffers because of it.

b) Rich Old Fucks in Congress and the White House think they're invincible because most of their problems have been solved by throwing money at it. This is not one of those instances, they are just as at risk as the rest of us, vent or no vent. I will be flat-out shocked if all of them get out unscathed.

c) Owing to a + b, Rich Old Fucks are worthless in a crisis.

TBH, if I believed in God, I would honestly start thinking that this was their way of saying 'yeah, I gave non-intervention a shot, but it's time to wipe the slate clean.' Because COVID-19 is honestly the pitch-perfect disaster to illuminate both the extreme fragility/inhumanity of our Rich Old Fucks gov't, and the extreme fragility/inhumanity of our FYGM labor laws.

I've been avoiding publicly having this take because it's morbid but if anything would make me believe in a wrathful God it's a virus that cleans the floor with the type of people who hold Trump up to be the literal second coming.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Flikken posted:

My grandfather is 99 and lives in a nursing home and my mother is 70 with severe Asthma and has had 2 heart attacks in the last 5 years. This is virus scares the poo poo out of me.

This will probably get buried by the airstrike news, but I'm the only caregiver for my grandmother and if she gets it it -will- be from me. I understand where you're coming from.

My mother is a 4 time cancer survivor and her work has not yet gone wfh.

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 13, 2020

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Fallom posted:

Well I’m sorry I asked

Me too :stonk:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I mean the .1% has to come from somewhere but that is a bit jarring.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Old Boot posted:

My folks are friends with a heart transplant surgeon named Dr. Love.

ps for frayed nerves:
https://twitter.com/Samphrakhun/status/1238420425228632065

EDIT:

As someone who just turned 39, I agree. :| That post was as much for my sake as anyone else's.

Hello fellow just turned 39er, nice year we're having so far

Some guy in DnD with family in Iran is saying the coronavirus is running wild and some people are getting symptomatic in the morning and dying the same day which I was sort of ignoring until now.

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 14, 2020

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

quote:

Instead, after several days, the virus suddenly attacks the heart, causing it to precipitously fail. The myocarditis phase is savage and kills people within a day or two.

Welp, if true there's our answer to that

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

From elsewhere

quote:

A couple other thoughts from the front lines. An earlier post discussed that patients with COVID-19 are not dying from acute respiratory failure, but instead are dying from sudden cardiac arrest. That seems to be absolutely correct. No one knows if this is some type of cardiomyopathy caused by the virus or a cytokine storm leading to heart failure. Either way that is frightening.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

loving finally, Hannity is blaming the impeachment for the current state of affairs

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Tom Brady is signing with the Buccaneers.

Nevermind was fake schefter tweet.

It'll probably still wind up true though, imo

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Duzzy Funlop posted:

No it's not.

Maybe in meme-country.

I don't think it's gonna be hilarious. Mostly because the last four years of Trump have not been "hilarious", and four more years of him are going to be substantially less "hilarious".

With the current state of the rhetoric, I'm starting to entirely lose hope that your country will manage to not gently caress this up in November.
I went on an on like a broken record over the last couple of years about how I believe that voting - especially in times like these - is a civic duty, or how I think that the primaries going on an on with voters literally being financially invested into their candidate of choice is not a good thing.

Something like just over a year ago, even in here the rough consensus was that people would - grudgingly, but ultimately - vote for the democratic candidate in the general election. I'm getting the feeling that this notion has already fallen apart substantially, and coupled with the notion that I keep seeing the sentiment (also in here, but predominantly on social media) that voting for Biden is voting for the "status quo" (which, with the status quo being Donald Trump in office, is just :psypop:).

I just feel really, really loving bad for the minority groups in the US, and poor countries around the world that will be turbofucked by four more years of Trump, when privileged folks give this away and pass on damage-controlling their 2016 gently caress-up yet again.

Honestly for the last couple days I've been thinking about leaving SA permanently because I feel like it's becoming completely unhinged.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I wikipedia inaccurate on this, because while it's of course not a miracle drug like Fox is pushing it does seem promising:

Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine have been recommended by Chinese and South Korean health authorities for the treatment COVID-19.[31] [32] In vitro studies have demonstrated that hydroxychloroquine is more potent than chloroquine against SARS-CoV-2 with a more tolerable safety profile.[33]

On 16 March 2020, advisor to the French Government on COVID-19, Professor Didier Raoult, announced that a non-randomized unblinded trial[34] involving 24 people from the south east of France supported the claim that hydroxychloroquine was an effective treatment for COVID-19.[35] The trial is yet to be peer-reviewed.[34] An amount of 600 mg of hydroxychloroquine was administered to these people every day for 10 days. They reported "a significant decrease in viral load".[34] The drug appeared to be responsible for a "rapid and effective speeding up of their healing process, and a sharp decrease in the amount of time they remained contagious".[36] The antibiotic azithromycin - which is known to be effective against secondary infections from bacterial lung disease - led to even better outcomes. Professor Raoult said the results showed there was "a spectacular reduction in the number of positive cases" with the combination therapy. At 6 days, among patients given combination therapy, the percentage of cases still carrying SARS-CoV-2 was no more than 5%.[37][38]

On March 17 after testing in several hospitals around Italy the Italian Pharmaceutical Agency has included hydroxychloroquine in the list of drugs with positive preliminary results for treatment of coronavirus disease 2019.[39]

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

If his clone is called Joe Triden then I might actually vote for him.

lol

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Vasudus posted:

It's hard to feel the pressure of being socially isolated when you already are every day :unsmith:

This is our Olympics, it's what we've been training for

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Fallom posted:

An interesting and well-sourced article on takeout/grocery food safety and Coronavirus:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/food-safety-and-coronavirus-a-comprehensive-guide.html

This is very reassuring to read now that we’re starting to run out of the fresh food my wife and I picked up a couple weeks ago. Now the trick is to find a grocery that won’t be packed full of people. Our local Pacific Market is huge and barely has anybody in it on a good day, so I may stock up on rough-looking fruit and crab chips.

Might also say “gently caress it” and get a pizza and wings from the local place because I’ve already lost 10 pounds going through this.

I just scheduled delivery from one of our local groceries and the earliest is two saturdays from now.. Love to get some takeout.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Fallom posted:

An interesting and well-sourced article on takeout/grocery food safety and Coronavirus:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/food-safety-and-coronavirus-a-comprehensive-guide.html

This is very reassuring to read now that we’re starting to run out of the fresh food my wife and I picked up a couple weeks ago. Now the trick is to find a grocery that won’t be packed full of people. Our local Pacific Market is huge and barely has anybody in it on a good day, so I may stock up on rough-looking fruit and crab chips.

Might also say “gently caress it” and get a pizza and wings from the local place because I’ve already lost 10 pounds going through this.

I'm hopeful that people are taking this more seriously then usual but I worked in restaurants of various quality for ten years and "Food handlers are specifically trained in proper safety and hygiene procedures. Federal and state-level regulations mandate everything: the location of handwashing sinks, the type of soap used in them, the frequency of work-surface sanitization, " lmao at that. They can mandate all the locations in the world but there isn't an inspector standing there at all times (or generally any) watching to make sure people follow the guidelines, and that includes your cooks, servers, bartenders, whatever.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Hey I hope you guys are right, I'm just saying I've worked anything from dishwasher to bartender in places from PF Changs to Clydes of Columbia (for the maryland people) and just saying what I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

This doesn't go here

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 25, 2020