Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Immanentized posted:

As many of us expected, the bills are coming for the original group of wuhan evacuees. The general reaction seems to be "wtf, I thought this was paid for?"
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/upshot/coronavirus-surprise-medical-bills.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

If Michael Bloomberg were savvy, he would pay their medical bills today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That Works posted:

Also "most of the senate" demographic.

Also all of SCOTUS, but tilted against the left.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crazy Ivan

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Every time we begin to recover, this idiot dumps on us.

Someone tell Bill Mitchell to turn on his monitor.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/okXOecp.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Joe Biden’s successor is Joe Panden.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bengy81 posted:

Current Events:
How the gently caress are stores out of sandwich bread AND flour???

1. People filling their pantries.

2. People got a significant fraction of their meals at restaurants. With that avenue closed, traffic at grocers must increase.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Malaria is the bush league.

In 2018, it killed four hundred and five thousand worldwide.

SARS‐CoV‐2 will at some point this year be doing that in a single day.

I know malaria’s number will go up if it spreads to a new population while no drugs are available. :smith:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ded posted:

No. It's some local chocolate maker.

edit : it was in the ferry market building

TCHO

At one point, they sold a particular batch of chocolate at early release.

Gram for gram, it exceeded the price of silver.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Eej posted:

Good thing China has zero reported new cases!!

https://twitter.com/rthk_enews/status/1241962672746139649?s=19

Or not!

DID NO ONE LEARN ANYTHING FROM THE MASS DEATH!?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bird cooch posted:

I'm going to wait for a major news source to pick it up.

skeleton_sitting_at_computer.jpg

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bird cooch posted:

Fox will run anything.

Why would Fox want to run it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bird cooch posted:

What planet do you come from?

I live on a planet where if they run it now, everyone forgets about it by the weekend.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That allegation isn’t even the most damning revelation about Biden within the last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYGgVZjMYQA

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I didn’t compare scene by scene, but far as I can tell, the clips are all legitimate.

It’s true that anyone looks a little dumb if all their “uh” and “ums” are cut together, and the satellite delay doesn’t help, but in my view Biden is on another level.

Forget for a moment the whispers of “mental decline” coming from the left and right for months. They’re not important.

What mattered is that he was lucid enough at the debate.

At the time of the debate, I thought that Biden has sewn up the nomination. I didn’t like it, but I didn’t attribute it to any great conspiracy. Biden had deeper relationships within the party, and that can’t hurt, but ultimately it was Bernie’s primary to lose, and lose he did. If he couldn’t drive the turnout he needed to win, that was on him. If Biden can go, in a matter of days, from not having campaign offices to winning states, and winning even states that Bernie had taken from Clinton, that’s pretty compelling.

Biden wasn’t my first choice, but I have to respect anyone with that kind of electoral power.

Then, just as quickly as Biden turned around the primary, SARS‐CoV‐2 upended everything.

I didn’t see the full force of this pandemic coming. Very nearly no one in power did. I want to believe that if I had gotten the same briefings they did, I would have believed it could happen here, but I’ll never know.

My view is that this crisis broke him. Lesser crises have broken greater men.

I don’t care to speculate if he was all right before. He isn’t now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So where's that herd immunity now, Boris you human static cling conductor.

Herd immunity is only for the sheep.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Abortions should be rare inasmuch as it is a public health goal to encourage less invasive forms of birth control.

There is absolutely nothing morally wrong with abortions. If it’s your body, you can do what you want with it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stevobob posted:

I feel like y'all are some of the only people I interact with on the regular who share my absolute bewilderment at how weird all this poo poo is; military operations scaled back because of a fuckin virus? What the hell is that? I've never heard of this happening ever. I'm in a non-essential workshop in the Canadian Forces and this is my second week at home. This is so very strange. Is this the big worldchanging event of our lifetimes? Hopefully? gently caress we really don't need anything else significant to happen

Great demonstration of why the phrase "May you live in interesting times" can be considered a curse. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about a paycheck, unlike most of my friends and family.

It is absolutely the most monumental event since the Second World War—bigger than the Cuban Missile crisis, the Moon landing, the fall of the Soviet Union, and 9/11.

The phrase you mention has long been called the “Chinese Curse”, though it originated with a Victorian aristocrat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bored As gently caress posted:

We're really, really loving lucky that covid-19 is not as deadly as something like Ebola or worse.

If we don't spend billions on stockpiling medical supplies and PPE, and updating and upgrading our technologies and our surge capacity... the next time some pandemic comes around we'll be just as hosed as we are now, if not worse.

We’re not even buying ventilators right now because a few minutes of (pre-crisis) GDP is too dear.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/us/politics/coronavirus-ventilators-trump.html