Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

Wouldn’t you just use some sort of calendar library?

But it would take me longer to work out how to use an existing calendar library that can do all the things I need right now and in the future and is fully tested than for me to write something which does the one thing I need right now and will be tested by my customers later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

shame on an IGA posted:

Jesus christ let this man go home and have a blankie and some warm milk and pet a good dogge already

https://twitter.com/BethLynch2020/s...ingawful.com%2F

What a bunch of malarkey!

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Don't read the comments.
:negative:

I wish all the commenters - all of which think that guy is a hero - lived in a town where every petty squabble was settled in that way.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

DoNotEat did the best overview of this petty assholes rampage.

Yeah it was great, I was reading the comments hoping to find a mention that he was involved in this thing.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

I hate to defend him, but he didn't say it's okay, he just said some people do it, right? Of course ideally he would have said "they shouldn't go to work with it, but unfortunately because of our messed up system they have to", but of course he's not going to do that.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

That Works posted:

I thought maybe us spending most of the decade paying russians for rides into space would help end American exceptionalism, maybe this will.

Being exceptionally bad at something sounds a bit like exceptionalism.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

This guy in the story linked upthread (which I guess you found while I was typing this):

SAclopedia entry: https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2299

Podcast: https://soundcloud.com/user-798629330/episode-93-kevin-patrick-dawes
I take exception to them calling out Vincent Van Goatse for having a good account name in the podcast, wasn't he called something like ALL-PRO SEXMAN back then? This is a historical inaccuracy!

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

From cnn.com, links to 3 related stories:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

A Bad Poster posted:

Wait, I thought her whereabouts were still unknown?

Yeah, that's my recollection too. I assume that she's speaking to her lawyer and the phone number and postal address her lawyer has for her are protected attorney-client information? :shrug:

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Trump is referring to this as the KUNG FLU

I guess he's listening to his supporters :negative:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

bloops posted:

Here’s my cat moo

For a while I was trying to figure out if you had just not gotten around to mounting it on timber for putting on your trophy wall, then I realized it does still have a body.

:3:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Old Boot posted:

3) we don't know how to reliably forward the phone lines to cell phones - some legitimate merit to this, but every time phones come up they act like it's too arcane and unknowable to untangle, so they just give up before they've even started.

15 years ago, I had a software phone I could run on my PC at home which could act as the phone on my desk in the office. I could make and receive phone calls using my desk phone's number, access my voice mail, etc. I think my ADSL was 256K, but the quality was good enough, and I don't think people even knew I wasn't in the office. I think this was probably pretty bleeding edge back then, but I think that by now it ought to be pretty doable :shrug: I suppose a phone system is the kind of thing you might not upgrade for decades though, and..

quote:

I should note that IT has been promising us that they'd work on ways to help is WFH for months now, just due to staffing shortages.

..the cynic in me says that planning for future emergencies that may or may not happen doesn't deliver value to shareholders today, so how could you justify it?

e: vvv Yeah, to be fair, I've worked places where IT wanted to change things just for the sake of playing with something new, and it wouldn't have delivered any positive outcomes for any of the users (definitely some negative ones though).

Buttcoin purse fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 20, 2020

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

pantslesswithwolves posted:

“The president is right. The cure can’t be worse than the disease,” Kudlow said on Fox News Channel on Monday. “And we’re going to have to make some difficult trade-offs.”

How many imaginary dollars is a human life worth? The answer may surprise you, find out after the break!

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Visions of bigfoot here aren't reported as frequently as the PNW. Those folks practically run into him at the Starbucks drive-thru.

Here's some stats.

https://www.bfro.net/GDB/#usa

Colorado - 128 reports
Oregon - 253
California - 445
Washington - 673

Alaska - 22

Come on Alaska, get your poo poo together and go squatching.

Using the "Population estimates, July 1, 2019, (V2019)" from https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/, here are the number of reports per million people:

You'd think that with all those people it'd be hard for him to hide in California and yet that's a pretty low reporting rate. Seems like he is hanging out in the expected places, and Alaska is doing their part.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

shame on an IGA posted:

Can't remember if it was in here or one of the CSPAM threads someone accused WHO of being a wholly owned subsidiary of the CCP but I guess that answers that question

Is that seriously a thing that people talk about and think they have evidence for? It seems like a lot of public institutions and private companies avoid saying "Taiwan" because they want to keep doing business with China, and the WHO might be in the same position where if you have to choose it's probably better to keep the country with 1386 million people on side than the one with 24. I don't really know anything about the situation though.

bird food bathtub posted:

I know it's years ago in Hellfucker 2020 timeline but I'm still kinda stuck on the EPA thing. If even half of what my imagination has come up with ends up being true there will be kids decades from now being poisoned and dying to this loathsome mother fucker's actions.

Yeah, I'm picturing local creeks breaking their banks as companies quickly discharge all the toxic waste they've been storing because they didn't know what to do with it, particularly the companies that get paid to dispose of other people's waste. Okay maybe there are still some protections left - maybe you can't allow your waste discharges to cause physical damage to other people's property or you'll get sued? Okay, drain the tailings pond into the river slowly then.

McNally posted:

Technically it isn't bloodlust because COVID-19 isn't a hemorrhagic disease.

:lol: That's not the mod response I was expecting after the previous complaints I saw about boomer bloodlust I saw in QCS, but I see there's another loving thread now, I bet that will be a thrilling read.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

I guess this could be read as "country whose economy could be badly affected by thing says thing isn't really a big deal". Unless the WHO has inspectors on the ground - I'm assuming here that's not a thing - they probably just have to depend on reports from each country, and have to play politics rather than say something like "the US CDC, who are notorious liars, says that Coronavirus is spreading slowly there, but we don't believe them"?

e: And yeah, always downplay everything bad seems to be the playbook. Maybe the WHO could have slipped a note to the TP manufacturers in January to tell them to start ramping up production :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Patware posted:

monthly threads are cool because usually everyone forgets to have all the arguments they were having in the last monthly thread for the first week

:pray: