Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

DC has its first presumptive case of coronavirus. Mayor is supposed to give a press conference soon.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/dc-has-first-presumptive-coronavirus-case/2234068/

And a Marine at Fort Belvoir in VA
https://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2020/03/first-positive-test-for-coronavirus-confirmed-in-virginia/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Well, that's one way to wipe out the silent generation.

My parents live in a retirement community (55+). A number of her friends are taking cruises this month.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Democrats will not take the Senate with Biden as the face of the ticket. No way enough people are going to turn out to vote for him to actually flip the senate. Trump's voters will show up.

So - your argument from the previous page is that a candidate other then Biden would get people to the polls to vote in down candidate races. These will not be enough to beat Trump voters in key races.

Where the gently caress are these Dem voters in the primaries?

Let's take a look at MI
Sanders 598943 49.68%
Clinton 581775 48.26%

2020 3-11@1204 EDT
Sanders 526,946 37.8%
Biden 735,019 52.8%

Trump won MI by 10,000 votes.

I'm not saying Biden is my ideal candidate, but as far as I can see he's beating the gently caress out of Bernie.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Handsome Ralph posted:

I mean Biden wasn't my first, second or even third choice but the "He's not going to improve anything!" line of attack when he's running against Trump is just so stone loving stupid at this point. ANY of the Dem candidates would me a marked improvement over Trump. I mean, compare Biden's platform to Obama's in '08 or even Clinton's and it's remarkably more progressive than either of those platforms. If I'm thankful for anything, it's Sanders dragging the party leftwards even if people keep saying he didn't. He sure as gently caress did. It's still got a ways to go but I think with people like AOC in the wings, it'll continue in that direction.

And yeah, if you're a white dude under 40 who's loudly proclaiming you're gonna sit out in November because the electorate didn't turn out for your guy, you are indeed throwing a hissy fit and you're a certified piece of poo poo to boot if you follow through with that.

Pretty much... with a two party system, a non-vote for Biden is a vote for Stephen Miller. I'm pretty sure one of those is a little further right than the other.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Doc Hawkins posted:

he will get nothing, not least because everyone knows he will campaign for Biden anyway. he has no leverage.

There are still a few demographics that could help Biden and it would help bring a left voice into the administration.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was just told my breathing sounds like I’m lightly snoring but I’m wide awake.

I had pneumonia as a kid - it kinda sounded like that and it sucked.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

bird cooch posted:

Actually Trump did mention possibly restricting travel to and from the West coast earlier today.

wow

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

davecrazy posted:

Nobody is going to get it until the boomers start clogging the hospitals and dropping like flies.

https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronavirus/bollettino/covid-19-infografica_eng.pdf

Yeah - I don't think people grasp the CFR for older people. The problem is, this acts like the flu for younger people but it's like 1918 flu for older people.

Young people can give it to older people...

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

42 y.o. female patient presents with a fever, no other health issues. Overnight had to be moved to ICU with multiple organ failure, still desaturating on 40L/min oxygen. Had a heart attack and her lungs show massive hemorrhaging of water. Not responsive to any of the medications administered. One of 4 similar patients he/she saw last night.

Well - gently caress.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Canada closing borders to all non-residents and ANYONE with symptoms, citizen or not.

Hadn't heard Western countries taking this turn.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

US Berder Patrol posted:

Mercalli intensity is way more useful for the common man than Richter magnitude. It is less directly quantifiable, but is better at answering "are people's houses ok". The perceived shaking and predicted damage rows of the table from USGS in the link above are probably from some version of or something like a modified Mercalli scale.

There are so many factors involved, though. Local bedrock geology and surface geomorphology, yes, but also local building codes and so forth.

On my active tectonics field course, we went to look at a little neighborhood of ruins by Springdale, UT that was flattened by the St. George earthquake in 1992. It had roughly the same middling intensity as this morning's SLC quake, but flattened a bunch of houses 50 miles away because they were built right next to a hillslope that contained a layer of gypsum about 50cm thick -- some of the material overlying that relatively squishy gypsum just kinda sloughed right off and destroyed all those Zion NP vacation houses. Buildings a quarter mile away or on the other side of the highway were fine.

Edit: i should explain that the Mercalli describes an earthquake in terms of "knocks poo poo off of your shelves" or "breaks parts of your house" or "kills everyone in Seattle" rather than numbers that are largely meaningless to non-seismologists or -tectonicists

Soil liquefaction is pretty crazy.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

SquirrelyPSU posted:

That gypsum layer OP mentioned is more like a really lovely spring. Soil Liquefaction is more like the vibration caused the soil to behave as a liquid at the molecular level and voila no foundational pressure and everything sinks.

Oh that's cool (the mechanism).

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yo is it really believable that china has no new cases at all? It seems extremely unlikely but I'm not sure how much it's because the PRC have basically trained me not to believe a thing they say :shrug:

With intensive testing, very thorough tracing, and unique quarantine techniques... maybe?

I don't think we're doing any of those so....

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The Democratic Party is voters are largely not interested in changing things. Their actions and results bear this out.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

Hey that's just extra protein.

Yup.

I told my wife this was just like when we were in Africa in 2009. Scraping mold off bread, eating some stale rear end chips and other stuff way past expiration date. I draw the line at smelly meat, milk, and floating eggs though.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Oh...

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Our college went online classes two weeks ago. A girl at my table just announced to our class that she's tested positive...

So - poo poo

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

orange juche posted:

Lmao when exactly was she planning on telling everyone

E: online only, what are you doing with a table of students if you're online

"I thought it was the flu"

We were in tables until March 13. Since then we've been online. There's a chance she was contagious while we were still in the class room.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

"It won't affect me! I'm young and healthy! It's just the flu!" I screech through my ventilator as I drown in my own lung juices.

I had pneumonia as a kid and was right on the edge of ICU admission due to my O2 levels. Laying in a bed and taking big breaths still felt like you were running a 5k at 14,000 feet, plus every exhale sounded like a massive bong rip.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

Then can you at least understand that for me and a lot of other people, there is zero or minimal difference between Trump and Biden? That we think that four years of Biden would be worse in the long term, by creating the conditions that will lead to the rise of a competent fascist? That we're absolutely loving sick of this stupid good cop/bad cop game the Democrats are playing with us and we'd rather burn it down than go another round in it?

Stop being so obtuse.

I have a really hard time how people can't recognize some pretty loving obvious differences such as:

Not slashing funding to the CDC and disbanding things like pandemic offices or other vital parts of the federal government.

Listening to scientists and other experts that aren't son-in-laws.

Probably taking action weeks/months ago for COVID.

Not staying at his own properties and charging the government for their use/stay.

An Obama like foreign policy.

Stronger efforts for more gun control.

Push for renewables and climate change action.

Participating in things like the Paris Agreement.

Not suspending environmental protections.

Qualified judiciary appointments.

Not building a southern border wall.

And this list was done in 2 minutes.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Best Friends posted:

2) not voting for him makes your vote meaningful. The sheep like nature of democratic voters is why the Bidens and Clintons of the world exist in the first place. Democrats, both voters and the party, as evidenced by this thread, have internalized the perverse logic that says voters owe their votes to the party. Once you accept that logic, the party has no reason to fight for your vote. Republicans would never accept a guy as far left as Biden's career has been on the right. That's because chuds, for all their vices, have some measure of understanding that their chosen political party should cater to them. A refusal to vote for Biden sends the signal that the Dems need to cater to their voters too.

Bullshit - the reason why Bidens and the Clintons of the world exist is because there's a large part of the democratic base that favor that type of candidate. The primaries reflect that very fact and the challenge for the democrat party is how to reconcile that some of these voices are now in deeply R states. Fister Roboto et. al are like the tea party of the republicans wanting to be so far right of mainstream Rs. Except, somehow, the far right was actually able to get their candidate to the general in 2016. So far, the progressive left is just a bunch of poo poo posting on the internet while the rank and file largely fall inline under Biden at the ballot box.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

PookBear posted:

we were in afghanistan and iraq longer under obama than bush, hope that helps you absolute poo poo for brains

It's almost as if a foreign policy is more than two countries.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/03/28/trump-says-hes-considering-two-week-quarantine-new-york-metro-area/

So Jade Helm comes true?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

iwentdoodie posted:

aka it finally hit the villages

Has it? Some of the early reporting on the villages seemed - insane with many of them not taking any effort to stay home or social distance.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Jarmak posted:

It's not really full of rich people (though it has its share). It's more of a make middle and upper-middle class retirees feel like they're rich people type place. With all the poor taste that goes with that (think cruise ships).

Maybe it's changed but my grandmother and grandfather moved there like a decade ago because it was cheaper to live than MA and my grandfather's health couldn't deal with the winters anymore. I visited once about 5 years ago and it felt like being on a college campus full of 70 year olds.

Edit: oh and can confirm: super Republican

Yeah - my parents live in a smaller "active living community" of ~10K people in Southern California. Mostly republican and lots of retiree drama. Some family friends just bought a place in the villages and were planning on moving there this fall.

My mom is sheltering in place mostly, but all her friends are still getting together to play cards, drink wine, play pickle ball, etc.

It's mostly middle/middle-upper class. My mom knows a lot of folks who are on reverse mortgages and basically paycheck to paycheck until they tap out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Internet Wizard posted:

It infuriates me when conservatives criticise a government agency providing a public service for "not having a good business model" and "operating at a loss". It SHOULD be operating at a loss! It shouldn't NEED to generate a profit, it shouldn't NEED a good business model, because it's not a business!

Yeah - the government should be good stewards public trust and money. It shouldn't be a good business model because no business in their right mind would have country levels of respirators or ventilators held in reserve or super carriers or...