Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

BigDave posted:

Nah, he needs to go home to the Company and become the Deputy Director (Intelligence).

Then he can serve as a door gunner on a transport chopper while trying to extract a paramilitary team from Columbia.
I really liked this reference.

Also I hate to be that guy, but Ryan wasn't a door gunner at the end of Clear and Present Danger, he was left behind and had to run up on top of a roof and jump onto the slats/skids? of the Huey as Clark was taking out bad dudes with his Carbon-15 OA-93 :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

McNally posted:

Book, not movie.

Ah poo poo, didn't think of that. Never read the book.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Slim Pickens posted:

Seems like a good time to short them, then cash out on Wednesday when that poo poo crashes again :bernin:

Robinhood is down today. So many peoples puts got hosed.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Someone in the economics doomsday thread asked what robinhood is, and got a reply of, "an app to turn poors into bagholders" and I gotta say, I agree.

That hasn't been my experience so far. Unfortunately. Should've bought SPY puts a couple weeks ago.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Lmao thank god

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

If 9/11 was proof god hates America for allowing gay marriage, this is oroof god hates pop country.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
gently caress Biden and gently caress all Democrats who voted in the primary for that gently caress. If he wanted it he should've ran in 2016, but he didn't, so he should shut the gently caress up and go home.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Christ. Our country is truly hosed. Even if we get Biden, it'll just be less lovely, but still lovely. No green new deal. No dealing with climate change as an existential threat. It'll be four years of Biden reaching across the aisle while the GOP just throws poo poo all over him and obstructs everything. He's completely out of touch.

This isn't the GOP of the 80s or 90s where poo poo could kind-of, sort-of get done while only loving over the poors and minorities a little less than the GOP would like. The fact that he spent 8 years as VP, head of the loving Senate when McConnell obstructed literally everything, and STILL doesn't get it, shows how out of touch he is.

Climate apocalypse 2020.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

There is a very, very reasonable take that Hillary lost the Midwest (again, ~80k voters) because black voters didn't turn out in the cities. Biden's turning out those voters, plus there's a suburban surge, tracking pretty closely with the 2018 elections. Biden's national head-to-heads are more or less equal to Bernie's, margin of error stuff. Really, you could say that about all of the Democrats.

So feel free to hail gay satan, but it's better than y'all think. I won't be voting for Biden in the primary, but he's sure getting $420 if he's the nominee.

Keep your money, daddy warbucks Bloomberg said he'd give a billion dollars to whoever the nominee is, except if its Bernie.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

I love him and hope he never dies.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

bird food bathtub posted:

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/stock-futures-fell-fast-enough-sunday-to-trigger-a-trading-halt-2020-03-08

Sooo, futures trading halted. Hit the circuit breaker arrest rate. Happy Monday tomorrow!

Holy poo poo, this is gonna get ridiculous. I wonder when we'll (or actual economists) look back and know when the recession started.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Full neoliberalism. gently caress you, Joe. gently caress Jamie Dimon and gently caress Bloomberg. Vulture capitalist loving pieces of shits.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The poor countries upstream of rich countries' supply chains are getting turbofucked by the increasing panic, untold millions there alone are/will be out of a job and thus out of a way for providing for themselves and their loved ones.

The health effects of the virus will - again - impact those countries with the poorest health-coverage the worst, compacting that effect. Some rich folks might kick the bucket, but the majority of them will be fine on account of being able to isolate themselves from Poors by self-quarantining with comparatively mild inconvenience while getting the best possible health care they can throw money at.

The markets crashing will lose rich investors some money, but they'll pull their poo poo, reinvest in High-Security prepper Portfolios for a while, and be fine. Them pulling their poo poo amplifies the adverse effect on the overall markets, and global markets plummeting from this affects - you guessed it - poorest countries disproportionately harder than rich folks.

"Rooting for Corona" is stupid as hell, and a really loving dumb meme at this point.

Yeah but is it ok to root for corona to wipe out old Republicans who are saying "lol gently caress washing my hands its just the flu! Stupid liberal media deep state fuckers probably released this to make Trump look bad." ?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Broke brain sundowning gently caress.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

bird cooch posted:

But looks pretty solid to me. He called him out. No Hillary Clinton diversion, no stump speech, no BS.

Got yelled at, yelled back. What's to be mad about?

"100 rounds! Who needs 100 rounds for their AR-14?"

lmao

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

"was it appropriate to swear at an American" is an extremely dumb question considering Detroit is Rashida "We're going to impeach the motherfucker" Tlaib's hometown.

Yeah that reporter is a loving idiot. Joe was wrong, but he wasn't wrong because he cursed.

People need to get the gently caress over curse words.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

personally I have no real feelings towards Kansas on way or another other than that there's too much of it.

also the cosmosphere really cool but did they really have to put it in the absolute middle of loving nowhere

Idk, I really like Carry on My Wayward Son.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

orange juche posted:

^^^ loving yikes

I really fail to see why Biden is so adored by African Americans, dude is an old white guy who has voted many times against African American interests, the only thing he really has to his name in the positive column is "was Obama's VP". He voted for a crime bill that saw disproportionate usage against African Americans with longer sentences associated with those crimes, has a regressive stance on the "war on drugs", he opposed busing of black students into white districts during desegregation, loving pushing for BAPCA, which prevents anyone who can't scrape together $2500 cash from filing bankruptcy, completely removing the prospect of the people who need to file for bankruptcy most from filing for it.

But poo poo I guess he's invited to the cook out.

It's because a lot of them (like most voters of all races) are not high info voters, but vote based on feelings and gut. They saw him support Obama and be okay with playing second fiddle to a black man. As that tweet several pages ago said, that was huge.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

shame on an IGA posted:

haha one of my coworkers left for a 3 week vacation in amsterdam and ukraine yesterday

Also, chastened, conventionally serious Trump is more terrifying than I believed possible

He looked so loving wired on amphetamines. It looked like he was barely holding it together. Like, it felt like he was shaking a little.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

shame on an IGA posted:

Hannity is barely holding it together right now

What's he doing?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
No he was telling the truth. They're just saying that because someone told them the futures numbers.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

jfc opening day is in 2 weeks

Not anymore, it's not!

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I think Sanjay Gupta or some other expert said it can survive up to 72 hrs on hard non porous surfaces.

But other sources say how long it can survive is unclear:

Can the coronavirus live on soft surfaces like fabric or carpet? What about hard surfaces?

How long the new coronavirus can live on a soft surface — and more importantly, how easy or hard it is to spread this way — isn’t clear yet. So far, available evidence suggests it can be transmitted less easily from soft surfaces than frequently-touched hard surfaces, such as a doorknob or elevator button.
According to the WHO, coronaviruses may survive on surfaces for just a few hours or several days,  although many factors will influence this, including surface material and weather.

That’s why personal preventive steps like frequently washing hands with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, and wiping down often-touched surfaces with disinfectants or a household cleaning spray, are a good idea.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/as-coronavirus-spreads-many-questions-and-some-answers-2020022719004#q5

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don’t know if I have a fever. Don’t have a thermometer. My lungs are absolutely full of poo poo, though.

My sinus drainage has been relatively mild. Today is the first day with a noticeable drip and coughing has increased. The body aches and fatigue are the largest indicators to me. Walking to/from the dumpster with a bag of trash made my arm sore like weightlifting and I was out of breath. Walking up a hill with the dog yesterday made my legs feel almost squat sore and I was out of breath at the top. I can normally run a 7:30 mile.

In a healthy person under 40 or so, you’re going to just get cold symptoms with extra lung fluid. Only ~15% of cases get severe enough to merit hospitalization.

That’s the real danger of this: for a lot of people it’s a mostly average cold.

Delsym for your coughing, and Mucinex DM for the post nasal drip. Trust me, it works wonders.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

They specifically told me to not take cough medicine unless my cough is keeping me from sleeping. I have guaifenesin and albuterol en route. The priority is to clean the poo poo out of my lungs.

Oh wow. That's weird. Good luck and feel better soon dude.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

COVID-19 test en route. Mandatory quarantine until results come back in 4 days.

gently caress man. I'm so sorry. You can get through this. It's gonna loving suck, but you can do this.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Putin and Xi are using the coronavirus crisis to extend their control. Across the world, Trump struggles to keep up
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/12/world/coronavirus-russia-china-analysis-nic-robertson-intl/index.html

Also Russia has 45 confirmed cases of coronavirus so far, according to one website.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

ASAPI posted:

So, a friend in DC is saying that there will be an announcement this evening with Trump mandating that all non grocery and/or pharmacies close for two weeks.

I'm calling bullshit as it would totally wreck the stock market along with the super panic it will cause.

So whats the over/under on him being right?

Depends on who he works for.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

-Anders posted:

Oh hey, Denmark just shut down their borders. Now we just need Madagascar to do the same, and we're in the clear.

They're in the clear. We're hosed.

I had to laugh when downloads of that game went up thousands of percent once this thing showed up.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Yeah but it's fake money artificially created by the Fed for short term loans to prop up liquidity between banks.

Why the Fed can't just do that to wipe out student loan debt is loving beyond me. That would free up billions of dollars for people to spend on products and services, better homes, new cars. It would do way loving more to improve the economy than bullshit QE or propping up the short term loan REPO market.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 13, 2020

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean, A) that's not something I believe the Fed can legally do, and B) these are, as you say yourself, short term loans, the Fed performing some kind of equivalent action with student loans would involve everyone paying back the full amount of the debt they were forgiven by the end of the month.

Okay, so make every single student loan interest free.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
What a loving rear end in a top hat. I hate how the press is walking on eggshells with these questions. That PBS Newshour lady was boss as gently caress for asking that.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

bird cooch posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/15/federal-reserve-cuts-rates-to-zero-and-launches-massive-700-billion-quantitative-easing-program.html

KEY POINTS
In an emergency move Sunday, the Federal Reserve announced it is dropping its benchmark interest rate to zero and launching a new round of quantitative easing.
The QE program will entail $500 billion worth of asset purchases entailing Treasurys and mortgage-backed securities.

This is about to get interesting.

gently caress.

How do I short mortgage backed securities with $420.69 in my bank account?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Intro of the Dawn of the Dead remake was 100% good poo poo. The rest was okay too.

Literally the only good Zack Synder movie, and hilariously it was his first feature film.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Why not use something like a diaper buddy? The garbage can thing that cuts out any odor by closing the bag when the top is closed? Better than ruining their entire sewer system and potentially clogging up their own pipes.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

SimonCat posted:

I watched the debate last night and wanted to know if my memory is incorrect. Biden has repeatedly stated that after Obama was elected that Obama turned to him and said "get those troops out of Iraq." I thought the reason we left was that we didn't negotiate a SOFA that would have allowed US troops to stay.

No you're remembering it completely correctly.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
NYC - De Blasio considering shelter in place order.

Buy calls on sleeping bags, traders gonna hole up at the NYSE.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Pine Cone Jones posted:

My panic attack yesterday was just that, no fever or anything. Today however one of my coworkers was ordered home sick and got tested for Corona, he had many of the symptoms but tested negative for influenza. Unfortunately everyone he was around this morning are simply being told to wait. I'm not certain how long it takes for results, but if he is positive then I'm certain you're going to see a large increase in Maine of suspected cases.

Whereabouts in Maine? Anywhere nesr Portland?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Ah, the land of the Trading Post. I've spent way too much time in that place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Mr.AARP posted:

I realize it'd be super-loving-complicated, but is there any mechanism that could be put in place to award large cash payouts to individuals that can demonstrate they are unemployed or underemployed with hours slashed due to this crisis?

As someone with a stable government-funded job, I'd much rather see those who's lives have been upended get $5000 rather than people like myself get $1000 (LOL COMMUNISM)

As it stands, I'll be doing my best to spend my 1000 funbux on local small businesses that are feeling the crunch the hardest.

Same. Everyone who is unemployed, anybody who is struggling because their jobs are in the gig economy, they need the money way more than I do. My job is stable, give the money to out of work waiters, drivers, anyone in the hospitality or restaurant industry. Keep paying them monthly checks. Don't give me any free money. Not gonna lie, I'd certainly like it, but I dont NEED it, unless my girlfriend loses her job. Give it to the loving poor people.

Edir: So how about setting up a system where you show your last year's W2, show what you made last year, and what your profession was.