Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Ehhh, I'll grant you that, but I never saw a pizza delivery guy go run into a burning building, valiantly dropping off a pizza.

Am a firefighter/EMT as my day job. Pizza delivery guys are first responders - can confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

piL posted:

Thank you for your service (industry).

Those fuckers either have to work to live or are laid off/furloughed, and they don’t have their bosses trying to scrounge up any and all PPE for them to wear. They don’t get issued N95s - which WA state is currently out of, anyways. Those are the people I salute. Just fuckin bare faced, smile or get fired and good luck!

Fire Departments here in my area are fuckin horse trading for PPE right now. Everett Fire gave their portable ventilators to Providence RMC to use, and are just bagging people manually.

Welcome to the Wild West :clint:

Edit: Hell, my department traded Tyvek suits to another in exchange for N95s.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Old Boot posted:

This is what our home health/hospice agency is doing with their additional ventilators. Trading them for securing more PPE if it's available.

Figure there'll be a lot of that before panic-buying shortages level off, and even then...

Yeah. We’ve already implemented the CDC’s new guidelines for N95 reuse, but there’s no way our stock is going to last even for a couple weeks. We have to wear N95s on all calls now, and if there’s anything respiratory involved, then we are gowned up as well.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

As someone who really enjoys this thread and the birds eye view of what’s going on while my wife and myself are on the frontlines of the corona virus pandemic here in the states (as we both work EMS), I’d like to reiterate something that was said earlier by those who post more regularly here:

SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT BIDEN AND BERNIE

I JUST WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT WORLD EVENTS AND HOW hosed MY WIFE AND I ARE HERE IN THE STATES.

gently caress

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I honestly hate all of this and just wish it was a stupid dream.

It’s not. My rear end and my wife’s rear end are being run ragged because of it. I am glad my department will not allow 96 hour shifts without chiefs approval, but seeing as how today and tomorrow we have an officer out on sick leave due to CoVID, I don’t look forward to how it will look a couple months from now.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

PookBear posted:

also with how the government is completely refusing to give doctors and nurses any support during this time there is no way I'd risk my life for this. Don't die for a country that is too cheap to give you loving masks

Literally for my neighbors and family.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

People can feel free to vent all they want, but they’ll be the ones who are hosed if we listen to them when they tell us not to do our jobs.

Just fuckin laughing at someone telling me or my wife not to do our jobs because we got screwed. Yeah, we loving know it, but now is when we really loving have to do our jobs. This is the type of poo poo that’s why we became a firefighter/EMT and an ER Nurse. It loving sucks, it’s a grind but, it’s the whole concept of this is the poo poo hitting the fan, this is when you’re needed.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Chichevache posted:

This is exactly what I'm getting at.

My immuno compromised brother with damaged lungs because of the cancer he suffered from as a child, who works as an instructor for autistic children, is the person who is going to suffer and die if nurses and doctors strike to make a point about how lovely Trump and the federal government have been. Now thankfully, first responders like windshipper have been stepping up and doing more than they already did before, and that's good. Accelerationist views like pookbear's dont punish the elite, they lead to people on the bottom like my brother and the children he helps suffering.

Maybe I'm just being sensitive because it hits close to home, but gently caress sick views like Pookbear appears to be promoting, and gently caress people who want to defend those views as appropriate venting.

This.

orange juche posted:

But they won't, because that's not how people's emotions work.

This.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This might almost mean something if the patients were the same as the government officials who hosed things up. They aren't, so it's just deranged sociopathy.

And this.

My wife wasn’t a huge fan of the hospital she was is working at before this, but now with the workload and high acuity of all the patients she sees, she’s feeling San though she wants to take at least a year off of healthcare when this is done - however long that might take.

I’m lucky, my department has a shitload of Tyvek suits leftover from Ebola scare. The N95s are a problem though.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L6ro1snGFkU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

I appreciate reading about my job and my wife’s job and how we should walk away from taking care of our communities. This is dumb, move on.