Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

ShowTime posted:

Having not played in a couple months, players seem to play completely different than before. Lots more sneaking around and flanking, going for ambushes and getting the jump on people. A lot less fire fighting. It is the way people should be playing, it's just crazy seeing how different it is now. Scavs hardly ever work together, which is a shame. I've tried to get some scavs to join forces and they just shoot me. I get it and i'm not complaining. I am excited about the changes in 0.13 with scav play though. I can't wait to get on a team and for scavs to start working together against a playerbase that is way geared out and playing smarter. As it stands, while scav play is still fun and can be rewarding (last run last night netted me a PMC kill that netted about 750k, this morning I found a couple keys/paracord and had a run that awarded roughly the same in loot and all done in about 5 minutes) it's quickly becoming "get the jump on someone or die". You almost have to camp as a scav now to have a shot at a PMC kill.

Also, my scavs are spawning with far worse loot. They definitely patched out all the labs keys I used to get. Not saying you can't still get them, but in December every 5-6 scav runs had me spawn with a labs key. I haven't seen one yet.

This is still one of my favorite games. It's only getting better over time too.

I got 3 scav spawns with labs keys in a row two nights ago and last week my buddy spawned with ~1m roubles worth of keys (2 separate reserve keys) so they definitely have not patched or lowered the value, if anything I feel like they’ve raised it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
can you just copy and paste the last threads OP or maybe consider not rushing to make a new thread if you’re gonna do a lovely OP

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Ambaire posted:

What level was he? And why do you call him a 'gear lord'? It sounds horribly racist in my head. Also, he might not have known about the durability mechanics...

drat you woke as hell

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Ambaire posted:

I guess my mistake was assuming it was intended to be insulting. some of the posts on here.. can't tell whether people are being serious or sarcastic or who knows what the gently caress

yes I see where you were going as anything intentionally insulting must be racism

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Ice Fist posted:

You will be able to restore power to the interchange mall from the powerstation now via a switch. They're demo'ing it now.

That sounds cool as hell - I hope as they expand on the existing maps they add more of the dynamic elements they’ve added in labs and reserve - would be cool to see something you can do in customs that opens up the area between old gas and construction

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

VulgarandStupid posted:

I can’t wait for in raid pooping!

the one redeeming factor of the game SCUM was the poop and pee radial menu

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Pathos posted:

I’m guessing part of it is to discourage people from botting the market, RMTing their gear, getting banned, and then using stolen credit cards to buy a new account. BSG doesn’t really “make money” on those because the chargebacks end up hurting them. This is what most gaming companies have to deal with, and a lot of them have dedicated teams to manage that risk. I’m guessing BSG doesn’t.

The level 15 change certainly won’t stop it, but given that you could almost get to level 5 by merely examining all the unknown items in shops, I understand why they’re doing it. It WILL gently caress up prices on the market, though, and I’m certainly curious to see how low level players will compete with > 15 guys once this goes into effect and the wipe happens. I think that’ll be interesting.

I don’t really buy that it’s a bot prevention thing, has BSG states it is? It seems much more likely that it’s just a good old fashioned negative-QoL change that aligns the game more with Nikitas vision or whatever.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

Get a load of the guy who doesn't remove every sight off of his gun

Don’t do this lots of irons add ergo

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

DrBox posted:

Disagree. For most games that started things off you can usually find a game that took a core concept and ran with it to make an even better game. Blizzard built an empire out of iterating on existing genres and polishing the hell out of them.

Yeah and all of their games that have seriously leaned on this formula are boring as gently caress. Overwatch is a competent game, but the thought of playing it seriously make me want to fall asleep. I can’t say nearly as good things about Hero’s of the Storm.

Most of the battle royals games that rode the PUBG zeitgeist were by all means better games (Apex, CoD BR’s, etc) were all fun for a bit, but again boring as hell.

Someone could make a more polished and more focused shooter with the tarkov semi RPG/raid elements, but it would feel derivative. Like half of this games charm is the incredibly awkward and kludge approach to mechanics that just happens to hit a little bit more than it misses.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yes, I understand that, but you're wrong if you think Nikita gives a gently caress. He's not going to stop making his game because Reddit and Twitch don't understand what early access means.

Yeah in the sense that “early access” is so far removed from resembling any honest QA or testing effort, and literally just an excuse to start making money off your half finished product. This isn’t really problematic, and game clearly offers enough content to justify it, but let’s call a spade a spade.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 8, 2020

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
So my scav case is almost complete, but I’m a few levels behind being able to get the booze generator up and running (need level 30 for mechanic LL3)

Am I better off doing 60k case runs, or just buying the moonshine?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
^^^^ they’re doing it to support RMT on g2g or whatever

if I had that hack I’d replace everyone’s labs kit with like PACAs and 209s

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Man I never thought of hacking before but now that I saw this sweet YouTube video on the something awful dot com forums I just feel this weird compulsion *hoovers up your inventory remotely*

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I’ve played labs once this wipe. I was in a duo, and some dude tried to wall bang us through hard cover, then magically tossed two grenades, each landing on top of one of us. Doesn’t seem worth it when reserve has raiders, is a better map, has insurance and scav runs, and has a boss.

They should just get rid of the keycard cost. That way all of the Hatchets hand hackers will self segregate to labs, and the remaining cool dudes can play the good and fun maps (customs, interchange, and reserve)

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 12, 2020

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I was really excited to hear they were improving some of the ultra wide resolutions but uh I guess their idea of improvement was to just letter box everything?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
So if I wanted to cheese my STR/END, where would I go? I want to know so I can stay away from the glitch area, and be sure to warn my friends so no one accidentally levels skills to elite.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

ChesterJT posted:

I've got about 17mil and a good assortment of poo poo in my stash. Honestly I don't feel a great desire to do a lot knowing there is a wipe coming in X months, and probably more in the next X years until this thing is done. It feels like a lot of what I'm doing is pointless.

I think I get Tarkov now.

With the hideout, now more than ever, you will basically reach a point where you have a passive income and enough liquid that you can consistently run whatever gear you want. Start loving around with more cool guns, run a higher baseline of armor/meds. Focusing on PVP is cool and fun, making money is only half of the goal, and the “taking other people’s money” part has always been more fun.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Lemon posted:

I finally managed to get up to Level 10 and unlocked the Flea Market; is it worth me bothering levelling up the traders at all any more?

Sort of.

There are a few decent trader deals that you’ll unlock, but I find their hideout progression requirements to be way more important. You’ll need some trader levels for hideout upgrades, and there are a handful of level gates that will be easier to pass with quest XP.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
The good news is the package has tanked the price on the level 5 rigs, down almost 100k from mid week prices for brand new ones

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
That’s cool but what’s even cooler and more reliable is free bitcoin rig income

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
This game is so ridiculously easy to make money in post .12 and there are so many amazing budget options, I can’t imagine why you would ever spend money on RMT. Like you don’t even need to be a turbo hoarder or market baron, just do your scav runs occasionally and level your hideout - scav case/bitcoin rig/workbench is insane output, especially when you run expeditionary fuel tanks and flip them into mag boxes.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
They should come out with a mode aimed to help new players and poors that gives you a free kit. Like you could spawn in with a variety of random guns, and maybe some random trade goods or meds.

Too bad this doesn’t exist, I guess new players are relegated to hatchet runs and bitcoin mining.

Also lol at suggesting hatchet running to new players. “Yeah so go to the spots in these maps you don’t know to get a bunch of items that you have no idea what the value is, and even if you did you couldn’t sell them for fair money since the flea market isn’t unlocked yet. Also you’ll make no progress towards unlocking it since instead of doing useful and fun things, you’re hatchet running.”

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
https://youtu.be/6AJrrTlga3Q

This video is really good for explaining customs spawns and the flow of the map, check it out. Customs is by far my favorite map for PVP because of its uniquely linear design, but this also makes it really really hard if you don’t know what to expect re: spawns and when certain groups of players can be expected to be in spots of the map. More than any other map it’s really important to figure out who spawned on your side and what they are doing.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
if you’re not constantly shouting gibberish in Russian while doing your scav runs you’re objectively playing it wrong

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Ultimatefire posted:

I just want to say that if they nerf containers in some way, I hope it is by making the contents return at the speed of insurance.

I haven't heard any other suggestions I like, and I think this makes thematic sense, I don't know why you would have it's contents retrieved immediately in the first place right after a failed raid. (I mean, I guess who is retrieving your 0 health body?? Is the container chained to you and scavs just flush your dead body down the river?? And then like proper action movie Commando Rambo's the PMC just wakes back up at 1hp?)

I don't know if it would help any of the problems people bitch about - institutionalized profiteers might be fine selling a paracord tomorrow whereas normal players might need their 60stack of BS ammo immediately for the next raid. But people are suggesting "can't put items into it" ...and I would hate that.

This seems right up NIkkis alley in terms of a negative QOL change that does nothing to address any real problems and just presents a minor and easily surmountable inconvenience for most players

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Do quests with a group, have the quest as a general goal but don’t force it if it’s not working out. Especially for customs quests.

But don’t rush dorms for a quest and then be surprised it’s an absolute shitshow. Dorms is the Pochinki of EFT. It owns and is fun as hell, but it’s almost always a mess.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Yeah I don’t have a lot of faith in this games netcode. It’s pretty common to get killed and then hear the shots after the death animation starts. Also I’ll always notice my own squad desycingsuper hard, and I assume the enemy would be doing the same, you just see it a lot less than your own squad mate.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

VulgarandStupid posted:

The net code is 100% trash, but dying before you hear the shot being fired is 100% intentional. Bullets travel faster than the speed of sound. This is a design decision.

https://youtu.be/8CjNskFJGMA

This happened to me last from a dude with a shotgun like 3 feet away so it definitely wasn’t some superior physics simulation, it’s just poo poo net code. Like I was mid death animation and heard 3 shotgun blasts.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I’m nowhere near done with the quest but I used archangel mosins for every step I’ve done so far. It’s a huge ergo improvement for like 25k and it comes with insane big operator energy. Much like the slenderman/crossbow combo, it is impossible to lose when you have an absolute aura of operator protecting you.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Ihmemies posted:

Yes also I need level 10 to access the market. I am level 1 and I just bought stuff to my bunker out of curiosity. I actually don't need fuel, even the lights are candles and heating is some trash in an oil barrel.

Anyways, it is a Bad idea to press "Back" while in queue. I decided to flip my portrait monitor so I could use it for maps. So I pressed back, now I guess I'll wait till the raid ends until I can do anything.

Scav runs are a great way to learn and they can make you stupid money because they have a chance to spawn with decent gear (level 4 armor, meds, good guns like the mosin, hunter, FAL) and have a small chance to spawn with a rare/expensive item (sometimes even up to >1 mil roubles worth).

Factory is a tough map at times because it’s close quarters, but I would recommend playing your scav runs there as a new player for two reasons:

1. It’s small so it’s easier to learn the layout and the extracts.
2. It’s really easy to run through - if you spawn in with a good kit or some items you want to save for your PMC, you can just dip out and keep the inventory. You won’t be able to make a ton of money until you’re level 10 and can flea market things, but save any keys you find that are purple, have “labs”, “RB”, of “Sanitation” in the title to price check on the market once it unlocks.

The first time I played this game I bounced off it super hard trying to focus on PMC and getting frustrated by getting owned. When I came back to it I exclusively did factory scavs for a while until I got a hang of the shooting and what AI vs. player scav vs. PMC look like.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Ihmemies posted:

I did one scav Factory .What is that poo poo?! It's pitch black and I can't see *anything*. Never going there again without lights. I dropped accidentally down from some ledge and hurt my legs. I wandered around, shooting randomly. Managed to to get some scav come to me and I killed him. There was something between me and the scav, the corpse was probably 3 meters away from me. He had a light and maybe even some heals. But I could not see how to get to him and I died to my fall injuries. Rip.

Factory is unlike other maps because the time is always fixed - either 3am or 3pm. Sounds like you went in at 3am where yeah it’s basically pitch black aside from the office area.

This game sucks to learn alone. Find some friends to play it with or join the discord, PMC raids especially are way more fun in a duo or three stack.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Lemon posted:

Apparently when you load in as a PMC, scavs should already be spawned in. Is this the case? I've been doing runs on Woods & Customs for scav-killing missions and I'm loading in near scav spawns, but they're always empty. Is this just bad luck so far?

Some will be spawned in on load, then they will occasionally spawn in as the raid progresses.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Camping train station on Reserve and just killing scavs and raiders that spawn on the platform + warehouses/bunkers/barracks is one of the most fun things in this game.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Just use the mosin, 1 tapping some thicc boi with some shottt surplus rifle is one of tarkovs great joys

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Hobnob posted:

Anyone have tips on the Jaeger "Kill 10 scavs at >50m range with an iron sight mosin" quest? I can't find a good spot for it, and I either need to get better aim or better eyes because I have had very little luck hitting scavs with it at that range.

I did it on customs. Any of the sniper scavs, or shooting road bridge -> RUAF, or cliffs -> factory courtyard. These worked really well for the follow up quest where you need to bully scavs with leg shots as well.

Stux posted:

my advice for new players is "just use an AK"

they have more shots, available faster, and with a magazine reload. you can go full auto, which is difficult to control but when your first map is going to be customs, being able to go full auto if you need to is extremely useful in multiple areas of the map where the huge initial kick isnt as punishing. prapor sells one for cheaper than a mosin and when you have the flea market theyre like, 15k each. it doesnt matter if a mosin can one shot when it has 5 rounds and is bolt action, take an ak and throw bullets at them, at the very least itll make them get into cover and let you get away or reposition.

Don’t undersell the fact that the Mosin encourages a patient aiming/positioning play style, which is important for new players to learn as much as it is for them to learn when you should be hip firing and mag dumping. Sure you can pop off 30 rounds of PS out of an AK, but opening up and dropping suppressing fire isn’t always constructive.

It’s too bad the usable 556 ammos are gently caress off expensive now. ADAR with a magpul handguard + AFG, low profile gas block, and stock upgrade and optic of your choice used to be an excellent budget build for like 50k total.

M1a is also a great budget weapon once you unlock the flea market. It’s basically a direct upgrade to the hunter - for like 30k more (call it 70-80k total... 50k for the gun and 20-30 for attachments and mags) you get 20 to 50 rnd mags and some solid muzzle attachment options. From there you can throw a SASS on it and have an RSASS for half the cost.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 13, 2020

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Holy poo poo these drops are bad

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Selling roubles in this game would be the dumbest thing. Early wipe it would be incredibly OP; late wipe it would be the most useless thing ever. I’m not generally against buying currency in games, but anyone who actually buys shekels in G2A or whatever is an absolute moron. Both because the hideout exists, and because they are encouraging hacking in a game where not only is it super frustrating to get killed by hackers, but the devs ain’t so good at handling or preventing it.

The overall development process at BSG doesn’t seem equipped to keep up with everything, they’d be better off just taking the CSGO introducing player based evaluation and a shadow pool that verified hackers get sent to.

If BSG introduces cosmetic mtx id be 100% down. I have a reasonable level of confidence in their vision for the game that they wouldn’t go full rainbow six pizza man, and I’d happily pay for poo poo like cool gun camos and new voice taunts.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 17, 2020

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I wonder if we see significant nerfs to the hideout profitability in the future. I’ve heard rumors that they will add durability to graphics cards, but this would probably also tank the price and it would end up being a wash.

As it is now, you basically hit level 25 and then can generate infinite free money. Even without access to some of the level 30 loops (moonshine for scav cases, M995 crafting), you make stupid money running the BTC farm, scav case, and green gunpowder crafting, and then eliminating fuel costs with mag cases.

It’s a fun problem to have, and it’s definitely nice to be able to run whatever kit you want with some minimal hideout clicking, but this feels moderately problematic and probably related to a lot of the insane flea market behavior.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
They should just pull a SCUM and add a radial poop and pee menu and if you don’t poop when the poop meter is full your character enters a non-cancellable poop animation

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I am glad this game strives for realism *repairs broken leg with some scissors and tape, chugs a gallon of mayonnaise, then enters a full sprint with 70kg of gear*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Make ammo return in insurance god bles;

More reasons to use nothing but the mosin early next wipe

545 guns also gonna be crazy useful due to how much BT you can pull out of Reserve