Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Ok, thanks, that makes sense. I've seen the SURV12 kit, but never had one. I'm still someone who mostly only runs Customs as I know where things are, and am too afraid of all the other maps still. :(

I need to practice and figure out where stuff is on other maps, like Woods ( Even though I have 0 desire to, due to of course, quests ).

Learn Interchange. It's pretty easy money if you rush tech store for the GPU, and you have less chance of being sniped long range randomly. Good for learning how to ambush as a Scav too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ShowTime posted:

I've stepped away from this mentality. My mentality as a scav now is to go directly towards a fight and see what happens. I've gone the route of looting as much as I can and then you die, giving the loot to someone else. Why not be that someone else? Yes, i've had runs where I loot a ton of stuff and get out. But far more often, I get killed in an ambush or by a far outgeared PMC. So now I go after the quickest chance of loot or a fight, then see what happens. If its enough loot to be satisfied, I leave (or try to). If it ain't poo poo, then I keep going. Eventually you just have so much money in this game that a run needs to be worth half a mil to make sense strategically. If my scav run can't pay for a run with my PMC, then why don't I just run with my PMC? Yea, scav runs can be fun, but you are so out-geared that it usually ends in a loss. This isn't necessarily the case early-wipe, but we are basically late wipe now and even the new players are getting better gear because everyone has it. I've seen level 10's with spec'd out M4A1's because they can loot them off anyone else.

For sure. I think being near fights is ironically the safest way to play. You have loud cues telling you were the fight is, no one is paying attention to you so post-fight ambushes are possible, and even if you don't get there in time to participate, you can vulture their kills while they are occupied. I think as a new player, playing risky scav runs is a great way to learn.

But, if you are trying to level vendors as a new player, it makes sense to build a little bank to buy questing loadouts for your PMC, so the early scav sprints can really pay-off.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Ambaire posted:

What level was he? And why do you call him a 'gear lord'? It sounds horribly racist in my head. Also, he might not have known about the durability mechanics...

hahahahah how

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

the little thread on the front of the muzzle :kimchi:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

I should be dead. But thankfully, the bad guys hosed up more than I did. Sometimes its better to be lucky than good. When I started healing I had 25 health and 3 bleeds.

https://streamable.com/rdsfo

this clip just got my friend to buy the game

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kikas posted:

Uh wow the changes! https://forum.escapefromtarkov.com/topic/120814-preliminary-patchnotes-for-0124-patch/

Flea Market from level 15 is gonna make some of the early key quests hell.

level 5 was bad enough. fuuuuuck this.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Wallrod posted:

We can only guess wildly, but they seem like relatively inexperienced but enthusiastic devs making a lot of naive mistakes and are probably well behind in technical debt, so fixing this type of stuff, just like the server architecture, is a big interruption to regular running that they've been trying to implement with as little impact as possible.

It's really disheartening to see them put such glaring holes in the structure of their game though. It would have been a really stupendous coop or single player game with some changes, but it's going to sit in early access limbo for a long long time while they juggle popularity spikes, technical obligations and feature aims. I have some sympathy because anticheat at a certain level is probably a very deep subject with a lot of practical knowlege and experience involved in structuring a game, and they've probably been putting rails down just in front of the train, wallace and gromit style, for most of the 4 years, but holy poo poo, sometimes you really wonder. It can't have been super special wizard knowledge that i gained when playing half-life mods and talking to server admins and modders about the whys and hows of keeping certain key gameplay stuff server-side.

It's kinda wild that this game is as good and fun as it is. It's the tightest milsim I've ever played. It's nice to have a version of ARMA that you don't need to dedicate 3-4 hours too to have fun.

I'm enjoying it until it inevitably shits the bed and dies. I hope they sell pieces of the game to competent developers before they do so.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Rent-A-Cop posted:

A fun game

yeah, unless it will get me to kill faster and die less idgaf about this grindy poo poo.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I'd really dig a deathmatch mode. I can't seem to shake my CSGO spray patterns and I don't get enough PVP exposure to drop them.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

DaveKap posted:

Dunno if anyone else updated the news about the "banned for asking for a refund" thing but...
https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/fhx6nt/regarding_the_bsg_stole_topic_turns_out_they_didnt/

They put in a chargeback before asking for a refund. If you don't know, chargebacks are brutal on companies and it's very common to ban people from your service if they try to commit one.

Anytime someone makes a whiny reddit post I assume this is the case.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ShowTime posted:

When I want a gun I usually go on the flea market and look for ones that are super expensive. Then I go from there. I took an M1A build I found, mostly kept it intact, but changed a couple odd thing to make it how I want it. Now I have a great M1A build I can just piece together super quick. Start on the flea market and just play around with weapon modding. I used to hate it but now I understand the parts a bit more and kind of love it.

weapon modding to make dumb poo poo is the best part of the game.

4 laserpointer AK? sure why not!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I've been digging the plate armor rig for when I run AKs. Pretty cheap and it's 2 for 1.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

why would you want this game to punch you in the balls more you freaks

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's point shooting and in Tarkov the gun shoots where it's pointing at all times, there's no forced spread.

hardest thing to break from csgo

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Great Beer posted:

Try using the SV98. It has a weird trigger delay that makes it nearly unusable against moving targets.

Which is such a strange way to model a two stage trigger. It'd actually be sick if clicking was the first stage, and releasing was the second stage.

Like queuing up a charge attack :hellyeah:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

Thats why they're upgrading the sound engine.

the arcade sounds in the mall really exposed how godawful the sound engine is. really cool walking by and having the bleep bloops phase in and out of existence

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Interchange is the most ez mode loot map. Just go back Oli with a scav BP and grab 4 propane tanks/gas cans, and carefully extract. I've had 15 minute 400k runs this way.

Even scav runs can be good. I'll frequently run to kiba and nab handfuls of 20k weapon parts if I get a ~15 minute spawn in. This will often give good solo fights too if other p scavs or solo PMCs are around. PMC squads tend to extract early or camp out tech stores.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

Player encounter survivals: 0.

Now my only weapon is a knife and I'm out of money. I have been doing scav runs when they're off CD but it doesn't help when I always die to players.

Game is hard for me. Hopefully I'll learn!

Get in the discord, hop in a voice channel, mention you'd like to raid but you only have a knife.

You'll get a kit for sure. Don't waste your time scav running for now.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Stux posted:

mosin sucks i hate it awful gun

edit: if youre going to use the mosin take off the rear sight thats my genuine advice cos the iron is garbage i hate it i will not use the mosin u cant make me

doesn't that lower ergo lmao why would you

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Mosin, grach, paca, peen helm was my go-to newbie loadout.

Replaced by sks, armored rig and ratnik when I got money

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

idiotsavant posted:

OP-SKS with the FD stock for a military filter from Mechanic will cost you less than Mosin + Grach; Tapco SKS for a GP Coin same. Can’t remember trade levels tho.

Newbs don't have flea market early game.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

LGD posted:

yeah it is, no joke, maybe the biggest disaster of a streamer tournament I think I've ever seen

which is really saying something

they decided midstream to not count scav runs, right as they reached the final hour as one Russian stream team was running a scav

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

just got 100% lagswitched on by some dude in factory. feels bad.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ShowTime posted:

One thing to note about drops for the future: drops are based off who is doing well. The more squares you complete, the better the loot drops in your channel. Kind of a weird system, but if you watched the person in 1st place you'd get better gear than watching the person in 2nd, 3rd, etc. We'll be doing the bingo system in the future it sounds like. Apparently the drops for a streamer completing their whole card were nuts.

I watched Pestily and got some good 100k drops, so that checks out.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

dear God I hope they drop the open world. I'll take this jank over open world jank. just as long as they continue to reiterate on what they have.

marathon raids where you can go into a special dungeon like labs would be cool. like a limited open world

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 16, 2020

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ShowTime posted:

This rain is getting ridiculous. Seems like the past week has been raid about half my matches. I like the idea of seasons, but a monsoon season is not something I think i'm in for.

Aren't weather conditions based on actual St. Petersberg weather or is that just seeped into my brain from the rest of the insane dev decisions

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

causticBeet posted:

They should just pull a SCUM and add a radial poop and pee menu and if you don’t poop when the poop meter is full your character enters a non-cancellable poop animation

playing ring around the rosie with a gearlord until he shits himself uncontrollably

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I get why they are trying to shut down relisting coz it's objectively bad, but the inflation this is gonna cause will be insane.

which will of course lead to more stratification between sweatys and everyone else when only sweats can afford slicks regularly

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

tokenbrownguy posted:

Using the 9x19 SMGs is really just fishing for headshots, right? I was doing factory runs with the MPX and MP9 and was consistently dying having put 12 shots into the torso. :smith: Was using the blue tipped semi-expensive rounds? Luger-something? Around 350 rubles per.

AP rounds are pricier but more consistent...its end of wipe so might as well go hog wild

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Lemon posted:

As the wipe's coming up I figured I'd put together a little highlights package; I feel this gives a nicely rounded impression of my experience with the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcZc_dWSTK0

you probably figured it out as you went along, but to all newbies watching, please tap and don't spray those unmodded aks-u' s :)

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

TheTofuShop posted:

Rebind Throw Grenade to double tap G. It will save your and your friends lives a ton.

like, for example, when you accidentally toss a grenade on the armored train, and panic for a minute thinking it murdered everyone but it actually went out the window harmlessly

but the real reason was it clipped through the floor because tarkov didn't count you as being on the train, and failed your extraction accordingly.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

fennesz posted:

After our raids last night, quoting this for visibility. Especially for you all y'all butterfingers out there.

a fun prank is cramming into Techlight pharmacy backroom with your whole squad and asking what G does followed by a keyboard tap

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ShowTime posted:

Finally played around with a REAP IR yesterday and they are pretty fun. On one hand, I don't see what all the fuss is about. On the other hand, yea they can be pretty drat good on maps with lots of foliage. On Interchange it didn't really do much and I often found myself using my red dot on a backup mount. You can just see clearer with any other sight. But outside on a map like Woods or even Customs, with lots of bushes you can hide in, it could do a lot of damage. All in all, kind of glad they are being made rarer next patch. I don't really see it as an attachment i'd use often, but I can appreciate that I won't have to worry about them as much in the future.

If you have a chance, i'd definitely give one a try before the wipe happens. Just to see what it plays like.

the one time I encountered a REAP IR nerd on Interchange, I was very visible in the open taking potshots (and missing) at the sweaty hanging out at big window. somehow, he let me kill him after 6-7 shots, probably because his view was obstructed by blinding fluorescent lights.

was pretty nice picking up a slick, airframe, best in slot drum m4, and reap-ir from some dude playing following the streamer meta wrong.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ShowTime posted:

Anyone running all raids with like, infinite drugs in their body now? At least the good ones. I bought up Goldenstar when the wipe was announced and have been using them since. Taught me the value of prepopping pain meds and now I basically only run with pain meds in my body. I haven't found any other drugs without adverse effects, but if they exist, I wanna take them. I've tried a few runs with SJ6 to start and run to a spot (like Resort) and just didn't like the tunnel vision that came after. Goldenstar is amazing and i'll never go back. I don't care if I go broke after the wipe on just buying Goldenstar.

In case you didn't know what Goldenstar does, here is all it does:

10 minutes of pain relief. That's 7 minutes longer than just normal pain killers.
Slight energy gain. Slight hydration gain. Other pain meds reduce your hydration.
Slight amount of hp gain (only a few points).
Removes contusion, toxicity and radiation (whenever those are implemented).

Yea, Goldenstar takes a few extra seconds to use, but it's so worth it. Pop it at the start of your raid and every 10 minutes after.

I thought I clicked on TCC for a second. Now we just need the follow-up post days later detailing how you bought a grand piano and woke up in a mental ward.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

TTerrible posted:

Finding phenazepam in Woods and using it in a recipe in your hideout should be the only way to spawn as a player cultist.

"effects: next 6 raids every item you find is a red keycard. after 7th raid, all your red keycards become TP and lightbulbs"

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I need a wipe soon before I start buying cosplaying Tarkov off of amazon

edit: holy poo poo lol, my gold star recommendeds are a aluminum splint, and a ledx

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 21, 2020

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

"When you exit with the status "run through” or death, all items in your inventory that you brought out lose the "found in the raid” status"

fuuuuck. RIP scav quest collect-a-thon runs

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kikas posted:

Haha, "non-balistic replica" :allears: At least now you can put a flashlight in the "Gear" slot of a helmet, so this does have it's use. And of course it will still take a faceshield, so it's not as useless as it might seem.

lmao they put airsoft cosplay in the game

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Stux posted:

i mean the hachet runners are still going to do that the difference is going to be theyre going to then run to extract after. if you kill them you still wont get anything and theyll justt vendor whatever it was. i dont think its going to stop it in the long run at all, its a pretty pointless change. just spawning scavs in at round start in the spawns around high value areas wouldve been a better "fix".

I think this is probably the best fix. plus, it would be a neat way to signal to new players where the good loot is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

the main thing that gets worse after every patch is this fuggin thread!!!