Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Davin Valkri posted:

I agree with this assessment of the enemy disposition, and give orders as follows:

6-1 AND HMGs: Hold position. Use FACE and TARGET ARC and all other commands as needed to get squads to begin firing on any US infantry observed in grid row 11 (~500 meters from their positions) or closer. (Feel free to finangle this between turns if they aren't firing)

Only thing here is the hmg in the middle is set up to overwatch the east and therefore can't see any of the American approach plus is out of its hq command range. I'd have to move it across to the bulge or towards the hmg in the west for it to have a shot.

Oh and for 6/3 if the hq and pzs team occupy the bunkers they'll not be in command range of the squads in C4 which compromises their efficiency a fair bit.

Saros fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Saros posted:

Only thing here is the hmg in the middle is set up to overwatch the east and therefore can't see any of the American approach plus is out of its hq command range. I'd have to move it across to the bulge or towards the hmg in the west for it to have a shot.

Authorized. I don't know what good LOS would be, so put it in a position near 6-2's destination (D6-E6) with good LOS at your discretion.

Saros posted:

Oh and for 6/3 if the hq and pzs team occupy the bunkers they'll not be in command range of the squads in C4 which compromises their efficiency a fair bit.

Understood, orders will be edited.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

German turns 10-12

Aka when poo poo gets real.

Turn Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A__Sr27P390
It's uploading now so give it a bit, also oh god I didnt realise how long this one got I am sorry.

End of Turn map

Unit clickthrough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v22aRxUtcao

AT Guns

Closer gun is about 1040m so in range for partial pens/pens and good damage, the further is about 1200m so will be limited to partial pens and spalling for damage. The Shermans may edge forward to get better shots on the bunkers/our positions so hopefully this will improve.

Who can see east Shermans.

Who can see west Shermans

Artillery Mission

Eta 2 mins.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Armor analysis

The Americans have placed their tanks well but perhaps too conservatively as they have been sitting there for a good minute wothout shooting anyone.

AT Guns

Ranges are not ideal, the shots are good though. Can open fire anytime we extend the target armor arcs.

AT gun views of the two Sherman groups, pretty much presenting front armor only sadly.

Eastern AT guns can see the freaking radios on the top of the Sherman group of three. If they some closer to the middle we might be able to get side shots on their turrets.

Bunker

The dense trees obscure it from the group of three but not the others. Units in the bunker will take casualties from 75mm HE but it can take a bit of pounding.

6Ko/ 2 squad (closest to the bunker) can see and maybe be spotted by the group of three, the rest of the hedge line is more iffy because of the ground rises/falls.

Marders:

This guy can pretty much see the Ami Tanks, the thick wood is clocking LoS and from the AT gun experiences it probably will keep doing that. However he can nose forward a bit and get a spot where he has shots on the group of three Shermans and is still concealed in the lighter parts of the wood.

This guy though, this guy is interesting....

(View from bottom of the dip.)
There is a pretty serious dip before the rise up to the knoll which the AT guns are perched on.

I tried the corner of the wood here but it's still too low to see the Shermans.

You have to get forward basically to the tree cluster/hedge by the panzershreck before you get spots on the Shermans and I am pretty sure I can pick a spot where only one set is visible. It would also be possible to reverse up the hill nearer the AT gun to get a shot but closer = better as we need to close range for better armor piercing.

Saros fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 13, 2020

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders are due 3PM EDT / 7PM GMT on Monday, March 16.

There is, however, a chance the inputters can run the turn Sunday 4PM EDT / 8PM GMT. If everyone gets orders in by then, and IRL works out, we'll go then.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Battalion Orders

Excellent work so far. We have successfully identified their armored hook and are in an excellent place to counter it. It now falls to us to do so. We must see if we can pull them closer, and as such I am approving Oberfeldbefhwehl Saros' idea.

Western Forces- have your units cease fire for a turn, then open fire alongside the AT Guns. Re-position forces under armored threat as needed.
Eastern Forces- Continue at your own discretion.
AT Guns- If the enemy has not advanced by a turn, open fire alongside the infantry.
Marders- Get in position to open fire at the designated time.

We have taken first blood, and soon we shall take more. With any luck the same LOS vagaries we have cursed will induce them to move just a little bit further into the killzone, but regardless we have a good chance of putting some real hurt on this turn.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
GARKO

Infantry, except the scout team which should withdraw as previously ordered, should hold positions and prepare for an attack on Crisbecq. To preserve the element of surprise, do not open fire except in immediate self-defence, or if multiple units of squad strength or higher are spotted directly approaching the town. Minor alterations to position and facing to maximise line of sight are permitted.

AT guns, hold fire for one minute. The easternmost gun should adjust its facing southwest during this interval, and set a target armour arc where it saw the American tanks' radios. After one minute has passed, per Sniper's orders, the two western guns are to release range restrictions and fire on the enemy armour, prioritising the closest tanks. The eastern gun should only fire if and when the enemy moves forwards and exposes themselves, ideally presenting the opportunity for a side shot. Just hitting radios would be a waste of ammo.

Previous contingency orders still stand.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 14, 2020

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
8 Ko

Ko HQ: TARGET the largest enemy concentration of contacts with the bunker MG

Fire mission: Move the mission to the low hedge 50-100m (in this image, it's to the left of the mission's current placement https://m.imgur.com/zkAW8bR?r)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
6th Company

All units cease fire (TARGET ARC at very short range) for one minute. During this time, check position and LOS on the "kill zone" (C6-E6-E11-C11), and shuffle units small distances (1-2 in-game squares) as needed to ensure good LOS on that zone. Any unit that takes fire is authorized to return fire.

On minute 14, all units use whatever orders need to be done to open fire.

If armor is spotted with LOS on infantry, HMGs and LMG squad elements authorized to retreat towards C6-D6 OR C4 as needed to break contact.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Marder Section

Bring the Marder in the trees forward to improve its LOS per previously noted instructions. Marder near the fort gain the best LOS you can near your position without exposing too much to enemy armor. Hold fire for one minute. After said minute, free fire on the tanks.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
H

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

GERMAN TURNS 13-15

Firstly i'd like everyone to press F to pay respects to all the American tank commanders who bravely unbuttoned in front of about twenty machine guns.

Turn Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnHNGOV3sM4

Unit Clickthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JnTMg1CuDc

As always videos are uploading now, please give them a bit.

Sherman Status:

1 is definitely dead.
1 is maybe crippled, couldbe a busted engine or splattered driver but it didnt move much and ther ewas a weird bouncing penetration. Probably shouldnt count on it being dead. It also is -1 commander.
1 is -1 commander
2 are perfectly fine.

Enemy artillery

Firstly they responded nearly instantly with what looks like 60mm platoon mortars against our AT guns, I don't know where they are yet but we shouldprobably bear this in mind wrt our defensive line.

Secondly at the end of T15 there was a very distinctive heavy artillery sound.

I spotted a round coming in, looks like its aimed around the strongpoint area. There was also another explosion by the fort, between them I think that this is likely a preplanned fire mission on the fort.

Overview

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders are due 3PM EDT / 7PM GMT on Thursday, March 19.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

6th Company

We're in for it now! All units hold current positions! Any unit at the end of minute 16 that is not being actively shot at is clear to make small changes in location, change target arcs, facing, cover, etc., for good LOS and shooting capacity towards the Americans. Prioritize units not in foxholes for these changes.

6-2, begin withdrawal from E6-E7 to the location of 8th Company's HMGs, approximately E5-E4-F4. Priority withdrawal goes to any unit not in a foxhole, and not being actively fired upon. 6-1 and 6-3 will remain in place to cover retreat.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 18, 2020

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Some quick orders. Well done on giving them a punch in the face, but now its time to contract the lines.

6Ko, begin falling back along the lines you are discussing with Saros.
Garko, you ahould be fine where you are for now.
Marders, fall back, dont get artilleried

105s - Set up a barrage in the most likely staging ground for their assault. Adjust as needed. Orders left vague due to the 15 minute call in window.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 18, 2020

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

8 Ko

HIDE the HMG HQ. Otherwise, no changes.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
GARKO

Western AT gun crews should SLOW move backwards until out of immediate enemy bombardment, then HIDE until firing ceases. When the enemy has stopped shooting, attempt to recrew the guns. Should this prove impossible, remain hidden and await further orders. Although I concur with Saros' appraisal of the eastern gun's position, in the previous video, I'm ordering it to hold its current position and continue to await an opportunity to fire on enemy armour, especially if flank or rear shots present themselves. However, I'm giving Saros free rein to switch to HE ammunition and engage the largest possible group of infantry contacts if:

* the AT gun's position is spotted or directly engaged,
* it becomes evident the enemy armour is never coming into view and we might as well "smoke it while we've got it," or
* Crisbecq is under attack by an overwhelmingly large American force, up to Saros' discretion.

Infantry are to hold present positions. Both platoons have permission to return fire if fired upon, using TARGET BRIEFLY orders, and should aim to have local numerical superiority in engagements; if one American is shooting, I want four Germans shooting back at him, if possible. If any Americans are stupid enough to come right up the road to Crisbecq, or cross the open field, gun them down.

It's unclear, at the moment, who has command over the 105s. No fire mission order until the matter is clarified.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Marder Section

Too close to the fort. The Marder that is near it should begin moving away from the front line ASAP, where it will be back in tactical reserve with commander discretion. The Marder in the tree line should remain in position with commander discretion on firing and/or moving upon making contact with the American tanks.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
105s - set up a line mission about 100m ahead of our current line

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

German Turns 16-18

Some pretty extreme luck by the Marder here. If CM pathing hadnt messed up and sent it onto the fort it would be deeaaaaddd.

Turn Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQbe5DLgv0k
Still uploading and processing as the turn is posted as always. [e] Uh this could take a while, thanks to a certain virus my internet is buckling under the load of millions of people working from home.

End of turn map.

Ami Troops on the jump off point middle of the turns.

Spots on troops in the west.

For a turn that had the potential to be disastrous that wasnt actually so bad. Fray has informed me there will be no more American naval artillery and so far we have only lost 8-9 men to it. The US Platoon mortars, MG and Tank fire has forced us to abandon our positions facing the open ground but overall we still havent suffered many casualties and have probably smacked the US in the nose with our mortar mission. Their smoke has been absolutely everywhere as well which helped our withdrawl more than it hindered really.

As always please ask for any screenshots or views you want. Also can I get some feedback on the videos and if you want any particular structure. Right now they are getting kind of long, would you prefer them split into individual turns with a clickthrough in a separate video at the end?

Saros fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 20, 2020

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders are due 3PM EDT / 7PM GMT on Sunday, March 22.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Battalion Orders

Excellent - they have played their trump card, thus far to little effect. We will now continue our attempt to draw them into close quarters by falling back to a new defensive line.

GarKo - Hold position. I don't think it's' worth opening fire on just a few guys, but you're in a prime position to defend. It doesn't seem like they've given that push any vehicle support, so they should have a tough time cracking you.
6Ko - Continue falling back to a new defensive line in front of the fort. Make sure that third bunker is manned.
8Ko - Call in a new mortar mission on their central line of advance
Marder - Reposition as needed to support the new line of defense.

105s - forgot to give explicit authorization to adjust as needed

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 22, 2020

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

6th Company

Any 6-1 or 6-2 elements still in their original positions, fall back towards the strongpoint OR 6-3 positions OR 8th Company's HMG positions, whichever is closest, ideally under cover fire from 6-3 or any 6-1 or 6-2 elements at the strongpoint or 6-3's position. Check to make sure all strongpoint bunkers are manned by non-MG elements.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

8 Ko

(No map since I am on mobile)

Linear fire mission on the hedge with the largr number of sound contacts in the center of the map.

Intensity: High
Duration: Short
Delay: Done

Adjust the bunker team HQ team's fire to hit the most promising concentration of sound contacts.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
GARKO

Infantry, hold positions. Return fire if fired upon, using TARGET BRIEFLY orders to concentrate fire where possible, but otherwise conserve ammo. Try to confirm location of the main American force approaching Crisbecq.

Western AT gun crews, attempt to recrew the guns. If successful: set target armour arc for 800 metres or less, and, upon sighting enemy armour, resume fire. If unsuccessful: leave the guns and begin movement towards Crisbecq to shore up the defence. Move QUICK along the path indicated by the red arrow, unless a better-protected route presents itself. Upon arrival, Saros has discretion to direct them to take up the best possible defensive positions. Eastern AT gun, continue to hold fire; however, it's becoming apparent the Americans aren't going to send armour into visual range, and I'm worried about being flanked. Adjust facing to be better able to see in the direction indicated by the red cone. Previous contingencies re: AT guns still apply.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Davin Valkri posted:

6th Company

Any 6-1 or 6-2 elements still in their original positions, fall back towards the strongpoint OR 6-3 positions OR 8th Company's HMG positions, whichever is closest, ideally under cover fire from 6-3 or any 6-1 or 6-2 elements at the strongpoint or 6-3's position. Check to make sure all strongpoint bunkers are manned by non-MG elements.

All good if I leave the smashed up squad by the strong point to medic and recover their lmg? They're pretty useless without it.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Marder Section

The Marder with a dead commander should retreat to a safe position without abandoning the line. Commander's discretion on which side is safer, I recommend south. The other Marder should hold position and fire at the will of the commander for the best shot to hit and kill the Shermans.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Saros posted:

All good if I leave the smashed up squad by the strong point to medic and recover their lmg? They're pretty useless without it.

Approved

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

German Turns 19-21

Turn Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSXHeDyQNVo

Turn File (replay only)

Turn Map

Unit Screenshots

6 Companie

The reverse slope is kind of illustrated byt this pic, see the small hedgerows.

8 Companie

Garrison Ko

Artillery missions

Who can see what contacts

All buttoned up.

Sigh.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Battalion Orders

Very good! The Americans had two main advantages - armor, and artillery. We have given the former a bloody nose, and now we have largely defanged the latter. Now to continue bringing them into a fight on our terms.

6Ko - continue falling any remaining stragglers back to your new positions.
GarKo - good shooting! Make sure you prepare those exposed squads for likely bombardment. I concur with Saros - barring heavier fire support, I have every faith you'll be able to break whatever infantry assault they throw at us.
8Ko - Consuit with Saros as to necessity of retargeting that mortar mission.

Saros, you may have mentioned it in the turn but what are the engagement odds based on our Marder's current position?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

Saros, you may have mentioned it in the turn but what are the engagement odds based on our Marder's current position?

Honestly hard to tell, it should be able to see the Shermans now but smoke and trees in the way are seemingly foiling it. However 1v4 is not great odds so i'd say it needs to withdraw soon or have the other Marder brought up to support it.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders are due 3PM EDT / 7PM GMT on Tuesday, March 24.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Marders - fall back. Work with Saros to identify good spots to support the second phase line.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

6th Company

Any units who can buddy aid to recover LMGs, do so; otherwise continue falling back and/or manning bunkers as in prior orders. Once all units have made it to new line, use FACE or TARGET ARC to establish new firing positions aimed towards the reverse slope where the Americans are coming from.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

8 Ko

No changes. Let's hope that mortar barrage hits soon....

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
GARKO

Infantry, hold positions, except for the exposed squads in Crisbecq. They are to move into the nearest available building and set up defensive positions, attempting to preserve as much of their original line of sight as possible; move FAST for one minute and then QUICK until safe inside. Continue to trade fire with the Americans, and preserve as much ammunition as you can; only take good shots at confirmed contacts, don't spray speculatively at people you can't see. You seem to be safe in the town and they haven't brought the full brunt of their attack to bear, so that should be fine. The indicated squad in this screenshot should pour fire on the indicated contact, using a TARGET AREA order - pin them down or kill them*.

If any other squads see the other two visible contacts in that screenshot, likewise issue TARGET AREA orders.

Western AT guns, continue as previously ordered. When the one gun is recrewed, do not open fire until enemy armour is, at furthest, 800 metres away. Eastern gun, adjust facing again (I'm sorry!!!) to restore the line of sight shown in this screenshot:

After doing so, switch to HE and fire on the largest possible group of contacts, prioritising machine gun emplacements and other heavy weaponry if possible. Sorry, but the enemy armour just isn't coming this way. This gun needs to do what good it can.

* The spirit of this order is I want this squad to keep shooting at the infantry they got a confirmed kill on, and try to finish them off. If that's the wrong contact, Saros should feel free to adjust the order accordingly.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 24, 2020

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Marder Section

No change. Make sure commanderless Marder continues to safe position.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

German Turns 22-24

Turn Videos

Due to some irl issues I am struggling to find the time to complete the videos, hopefully in the next few hours but I am getting what I can out now. I will edit in the final turn video so please check back.

Turns 22-23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdSWWqb3C_8

Woo!

Turn 24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFvZ1-QWMOQ
This is just a quick video I made for the discord of T24, the proper one will be up soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0tN4jWm3fs
Full video.

Turn Map

Screenshots

AT Gun refuses to re-crew but is doing good work spotting.

Visible in the hedges.

Artillery

https://imgur.com/a/ibXnQJX
Big folder with screenshots of the situation and unit placements, please peruse them.

Saros fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 25, 2020

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders are due 5PM EDT / 9PM GMT on Friday, March 27.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Battalion Orders

The enemy has brought the fight to our door, so we must answer.

6/8/GarKo - Reposition as needed to address the threat.
Marders - Get in position to start firing.
105s - make the danger close adjustment.