Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

The Exorcist III
1990, 110 minutes
Written and directed by William Peter Blatty
Starring: George C. Scott, Brad Dourif, Ed Flanders, Jason Miller
Based on Blatty's novel "Legion"
IMDb - Letterboxd

It has been 15 years since the exorcism of Regan MacNeil and the death of Father Damien Karras. Bill Kinderman (George C. Scott), a police lieutenant and former friend of Karras, is investigating a series of gruesome murders that match the M.O. of The Gemini Killer, a serial killer who was caught and executed 15 years ago. Kinderman's investigation takes an unexpected and unnerving turn when a man who looks exactly like Karras turns up at a psych ward and claims to be the Gemini.

After the massive success of The Exorcist (1973), it's only natural that the studio would produce a sequel. Unfortunately, that sequel was Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977), a commercial and critical flop that Blatty (who wrote the novel as well as the screenplay for the original film) had no involvement in. Blatty decided to write a "true" sequel that ignored the events of The Heretic. Initially conceived as a film with William Friedkin attached to direct, the project turned into a novel called "Legion". The book was published in 1983 and was a success, and before long a film adaptation was in the works, this time with Blatty himself set to direct. He wanted to name the film after his novel and leave the word "Exorcist" out of the title entirely, if for no other reason than to distance his film from the awful Exorcist II. The studio disagreed and the title became The Exorcist III, and the film's poor performance at the box office is often blamed at least partially on that choice. (at one point the working title was "The Exorcist 1990", so it could've been worse)

I absolutely love this film. It's got some major flaws thanks to some studio fuckery (which I'll get to shortly), but it also has a bunch of really amazing scenes. George C. Scott and Brad Dourif are both at the top of their games here, which is good because a significant portion of the film is dedicated to monologues from both actors. It has a lot of genuinely scary and creepy moments too, including one of the best "jump" scares ever filmed. The chemistry between Scott and Ed Flanders (who plays Kinderman's friend Father Dyer) is wonderful, and the scene where Scott gives a short monologue about a carp while Flanders tries not to laugh is one of my favorites in the film.

Studio Interference and Re-Shoots

The studio wasn't happy with the direction Blatty went with the film. He had created a mature and thoughtful psychological thriller, with lots of long monologues, very little gore, and most significantly - no exorcisms. They demanded some major last minute re-shoots that significantly changed the story and tone of the film.

Blatty had cast Brad Dourif in the role of Father Karras, but he was forced to cut him out and instead use Jason Miller (who played Karras in the original film). However Miller was an alcoholic and just couldn't play the part - it involved a lot of long monologues and he wasn't able to remember the lines. So Dourif was brought back in, and the final version of "Patient X" combines the two actors - Miller when he is Karras, and Dourif when he is the Gemini.

The other major change is to the ending. Blatty's version didn't contain an exorcism scene, so the studio made him add one. It feels tacked on and entirely unnecessary, and doesn't fit with the tone of the rest of the film.

Here's the thing though - while I think both of these changes were ultimately for the worse, I still like what we got. It sucks that we didn't get to see all of Dourif's original performance (which he claims is even better than the final version), but Miller is a good actor too and I like the way the film switches between them. The ending is also totally fine - it just feels like it belongs in a different movie. It's gory and over the top and feels very out of place in a film that is otherwise focused on dialogue and atmosphere.

yes, that's the Joker

Theatrical Cut vs Director's Cut - which should I watch?

Short answer - the theatrical cut (it's also the only one available to stream, so that helps)

Long answer - Watch the theatrical first for sure, and then maybe check out the Director's Cut if you are curious about the film that Blatty originally intended to make. For years, Blatty's original version of the film was considered lost. The actual footage is still lost, but in 2016 Scream Factory released a "restored" version of the film that used VHS copies of the dailies to fill in the missing footage. These sections look like total poo poo though, and the ending of the movie is way too abrupt, so I definitely don't think anyone should start with this cut of the film. It's interesting as a curiosity though, and if you're a fan and want to see what could've been, it's worth a watch (or at least you should check out the changes).

Where to watch it:

- It's currently available for streaming on Amazon Prime and Shudder. If you don't already have a Shudder subscription, there is a free trial available.
- For a few bucks you can rent it digitally from a variety of different platforms.
- It's also available on blu-ray from Scream Factory, which has a number of good special features if you're into that kind of thing

Previously featured films of CineD's Movie of the Month

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I watched this movie last year after it was featured in an RLM video, which is worth a watch after you’ve seen the movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIC6D77YYgY

It’s such a weird, but enjoyable watch. There are parts of it that I like as much as any horror movie I’ve ever seen. And there are other parts that are completely out of place. It’s really a wild ride.

The relationship between Kinderman and Dyer is absolutely the highlight of the movie. I’m particularly fond of their opposing perspectives on god, especially this exchange, which I’ll spoil because I want everyone to experience it for the first time while watching the movie:

Kinderman: The whole world is a homicide victim, Father. Would a God who is good invent something like that? Plainly speaking, it's a lousy idea. It's not popular. It's not a winner.

Father Dyer: There you go, Blaming God.

Kinderman: Who should I blame? Phil Rizzuto?

Father Dyer: You wouldn't want to live forever.

Kinderman: Yes, I would.

Father Dyer: No, you wouldn't. You'd get bored.

Kinderman: I have hobbies. In the meantime, we have cancer and mongoloid babies and murderers, monsters prowling the planet, even prowling this neighborhood, Father... right now, while our children suffer... and our loved ones die, and your God goes waltzing blithely through the universe like some kind of cosmic Billie Burke.

Father Dyer: Bill, it all works out right.

Kinderman: When?

Father Dyer: At the end of time.

Kinderman: That soon?

Father Dyer: No. We're going to be there. We're going to live forever, Bill. We're spirits.

Kinderman: Oh, I would love to believe that.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Ehud posted:

I watched this movie last year after it was featured in an RLM video, which is worth a watch after you’ve seen the movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIC6D77YYgY

It’s such a weird, but enjoyable watch. There are parts of it that I like as much as any horror movie I’ve ever seen. And there are other parts that are completely out of place. It’s really a wild ride.

Thanks, I’ll check out that video when I have some downtime this week!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This movie loving rules.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
This is a great flick. I never laugh out loud at anything when I’m watching alone but the story about the fish in the bath tub got me good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm excited to rewatch this one. I've really only seen it twice.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

TheBizzness posted:

This is a great flick. I never laugh out loud at anything when I’m watching alone but the story about the fish in the bath tub got me good.

Yeah I love it. It really seems like Flanders isn't just acting and is trying hard not to burst into laughter for real.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This is actually a fairly intricately plotted movie, which I love because I usually forget a plot point here or there and when I rewatch it every few years it always feels fresh.

One thing I don't hear mentioned very often is that the grandma on the ceiling bit in Legion is clearly an homage to Exorcist III, which of course is based on a novel called Legion.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This movie is one of my favorite movies ever. I still can't believe a movie where almost every scene is just two characters talking to each other is so intense. I love when it sinks in that the blurry first person intro with the "I had a dream about..." line is a dream of a spirit in a resurrected body that is possessed dreaming of murdering that kid because the possessor and the body are murdering the kid :wtc: There's so much good poo poo in that movie, and there's some genuinely good humor in it too. The book, Legion, is excellent too.

I have to agree about the theatrical version, overall, being a little better than the director's cut. They did what the could but like others mention you can tell the ending is super abrupt because that's just all they had salvaged to work with.

I always wished Blatty didn't get his stuff meddled with by Hollywood so much though. Exorcist III is outstanding and the other movie he directed, The Ninth Configuration, is great great stuff too. Would have loved to see more from him.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 2, 2020

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Easily one of the greatest horror sequels ever. Do yourself a favor and watch the Directors Cut.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Is it heresy to say I like it more than the first one?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Hedenius posted:

Is it heresy to say I like it more than the first one?

Not at all. I think the first one is the better film, but I enjoy this more and would rewatch it over the first any day

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The original feels more epic, which I think is mostly due to the opening scenes in Iraq and then also Von Sydow's performance and overall presence. It's a different kind of gravitas that nobody really brings to Exorcist III, as good as the performances are in their own way.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Either way this is the perfect thread for some heresy.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I speedran the RLM video and I completely agree with the work print version being far inferior and not just because of requisite massive shifts in video quality.

It was my first exposure to the film because the hype surrounding it saving the greatest horror film of all time or whatever marketing bullshit was strong and poisoned it for a decade or so. I’ll be honest it was long enough ago that I can’t remember specifics but the release cut has a far more cohesive tone and better pacing throughout.

It’s likely more of an interesting footnote if you’re already a fan of the film but if absolutely do not start with it.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I am definitely going to watch this this month. I’m so glad I saw this thread because otherwise I never would have seen a movie called “The Exorcist III”.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I understand your trepidation but I am certain you will be pleased.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Ogmius815 posted:

I am definitely going to watch this this month. I’m so glad I saw this thread because otherwise I never would have seen a movie called “The Exorcist III”.

yeah it's one of those movies that people generally assume would be awful, which is often true for sequels to iconic films, but there are some exceptions. Psycho II is another one that's actually pretty good despite what you'd expect

Crutch
Apr 22, 2010
I also love this movie. However, it could be because of what happened when I saw it in theatres.

During "the scene" a woman had a literal panic attack. She screamed incredibly loud and would not stop, to the point where they had to turn the house lights on and call an ambulance. The theatre gave us two free passes for any future movie and restarted the whole movie. This was during the week, so the theatre was only lightly attended. It was nuts. When I watch it now I get extremely uptight during the whole hospital scene. It's great!!

My wife worked at an alzheimers facility for a few years. It was predominately older folks in there and when I would visit I would get definite Exorcist III vibes and would glance at the ceiling occasionally...….just to make sure.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

gey muckle mowser posted:

yeah it's one of those movies that people generally assume would be awful, which is often true for sequels to iconic films, but there are some exceptions. Psycho II is another one that's actually pretty good despite what you'd expect

Psycho II and Exorcist III both own, and I tend to watch them more often than the originals.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I would love to see this. I'm a bit surprised this is good because horror sequels often do the diminishing returns thing.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
My favorite little bit of visual story telling in this movie is Ryan, the forensics expert who was apparently a paratrooper in the 101st Airborne and can't let it go. He still wears his jump boots and old field jacket and apparently thinks that "rabies" are Jewish Priests, whom he would do anything for.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I bought the blu-ray from a flea market for three dollars a while back and it's been collecting dust the whole time. This is good motivation to finally watch the fucker.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I would love to see this. I'm a bit surprised this is good because horror sequels often do the diminishing returns thing.

Most of it is just Blatty's involvement. He wrote The Exorcist and he wrote Legion, and he directed this movie. So he knew the proper tone needed and nailed it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
today is Brad Dourif's 70th (!) birthday, so watch this movie in his honor

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I watched the movie last night in honor of Dourif's birthday, although I'd planned to watch it this month anyway so it was a perfect opportunity.

One little character moment that I noticed this time, I thought it was great when the forensic guy is giving Kinderman poo poo about running the prints from inside the priest's vestibule. In a lot of movies you'd get the detective exploding on the guy in some really obvious way but instead Scott just says "I'm padding the job", which is great because it's funny but it also shames the guy because it's like "here, you want some stupid selfish motive to do what I say, ok fine I'm padding the job, will you do it now you gently caress?". And like everything else in the movie Scott delivers it with that tension you can always feel rippling just underneath the surface.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I like the exorcism scene because that priest gets his poo poo absolutely wrecked and still manages to eke out a little hallelujah how do you do.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm rewatching this again and I just noticed the man running back and forth on the deserted streets during the opening credits.

Something weird to me is why does the doctor write what he says down and practice it

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 21, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Something weird to me is why does the doctor write what he says down and practice it

I think he has an idea of what's going on and is trying to cover his own rear end.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I think he has an idea of what's going on and is trying to cover his own rear end.

I just rewatched it and it kind of makes sense to do if he was practicing his lines because he knows whats really going on. I think that makes sense

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Neo Rasa posted:

This movie is one of my favorite movies ever. I still can't believe a movie where almost every scene is just two characters talking to each other is so intense. I love when it sinks in that the blurry first person intro with the "I had a dream about..." line is a dream of a spirit in a resurrected body that is possessed dreaming of murdering that kid because the possessor and the body are murdering the kid :wtc: There's so much good poo poo in that movie, and there's some genuinely good humor in it too. The book, Legion, is excellent too.

I have to agree about the theatrical version, overall, being a little better than the director's cut. They did what the could but like others mention you can tell the ending is super abrupt because that's just all they had salvaged to work with.

I always wished Blatty didn't get his stuff meddled with by Hollywood so much though. Exorcist III is outstanding and the other movie he directed, The Ninth Configuration, is great great stuff too. Would have loved to see more from him.

Ninth Configuration is on Prime btw, and it is technically a sequel to The Exorcist as well (it is in part about the astronaut Regan threatens/warns in the party scene)

It’s extremely good

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Just watched this. A very interesting film. I loved everything between Scott and Flanders and Douriff is great. That obviously carries much of the film. I think Blatty was obviously a very talented writer in a "true crime"/detective kind of way and it really shows out in a lot of the dialogue and story. Ultimately its not exactly my kind of thing and while the exorcism obviously feels very tacked on I'm not sure my opinion would change dramatically without it. I respect that Blatty went a totally different direction with it and appreciated a lot of it. But I think there's some pacing/storytelling issues that kind of make sense with "novelist turned director" and the detective thriller is less my thing. But a very interesting watch at the absolute worst and incredible performances from the cast (and directing/writing with all those little character touches).

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Wow, just saw for the first time, this ruled!
I love those little reoccuring details that don't add anything to the story but are just there in the background for atmosphere. The kid with the rose that the POV shot passes by at the beginning ending up as a murder victim, the rose ending up on a table by another crime scene, the newspaper blowing up the Exorcist stairs showing up again and again, Lord knows what I missed.

That jump scare, man. I'd unfortunately seen it before on youtube but again a small detail from earlier - the sound of the surgical scissors getting cranked open - playing throughout the scene, such an amazing little detail - takes it up another notch.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

My only real complaint about this movie is that the dude with the avatar ITT ruined the jump scare for me. It was still an awesome scene, but it would have been a better scene if I hadn’t known what was going to happen.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

It is a cool avatar.