Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This is actually a fairly intricately plotted movie, which I love because I usually forget a plot point here or there and when I rewatch it every few years it always feels fresh.

One thing I don't hear mentioned very often is that the grandma on the ceiling bit in Legion is clearly an homage to Exorcist III, which of course is based on a novel called Legion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The original feels more epic, which I think is mostly due to the opening scenes in Iraq and then also Von Sydow's performance and overall presence. It's a different kind of gravitas that nobody really brings to Exorcist III, as good as the performances are in their own way.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I would love to see this. I'm a bit surprised this is good because horror sequels often do the diminishing returns thing.

Most of it is just Blatty's involvement. He wrote The Exorcist and he wrote Legion, and he directed this movie. So he knew the proper tone needed and nailed it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I watched the movie last night in honor of Dourif's birthday, although I'd planned to watch it this month anyway so it was a perfect opportunity.

One little character moment that I noticed this time, I thought it was great when the forensic guy is giving Kinderman poo poo about running the prints from inside the priest's vestibule. In a lot of movies you'd get the detective exploding on the guy in some really obvious way but instead Scott just says "I'm padding the job", which is great because it's funny but it also shames the guy because it's like "here, you want some stupid selfish motive to do what I say, ok fine I'm padding the job, will you do it now you gently caress?". And like everything else in the movie Scott delivers it with that tension you can always feel rippling just underneath the surface.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Something weird to me is why does the doctor write what he says down and practice it

I think he has an idea of what's going on and is trying to cover his own rear end.