Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Last week's thread didn't make it passed the first page. A sign of things to come?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Better Than You posted:

Last week's thread didn't make it passed the first page. A sign of things to come?

The seattle dragons offense is so boring. Tired of these xfl coaches thinking they're in the nfl.

At least silvers FINALLY got benched holy shittt

League can be good with better qb play. I hope another year will encourage better qbs to join

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm pretty encouraged by the degree of parity we're seeing. The Vipers actually winning a game, the Defenders being exposed as loving frauds, and Houston looking mortal in its last two games is good for the league.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
super important XFL POEWR RANKINGS

Roughnecks
Battlehawks
Renegades
Wildcats
Guardians
Defenders
Vipers
Dragons

Wildcats are still higher than you might think, maybe I'm stanning a bit but looking at the PA/PF you can see their ratio is much better and they've scored a lot more points than Defenders/Guardians, they've just been beaten a couple times in close games. Roughnecks and Battlehawks seem to be in a league of their own at the moments, with everyone else fighting for scraps. Vipers putting up a no-hitter was damned impressive and it seems like they're coming together a little bit. Seattle Dragons have looked the worst out of everyone I think

I could also be convinced that the Battlehawks deserve the top spot as the most complete-seeming team, but let's wait and see if they can even beat the Roughnecks

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have been satisfied with the Dallas Renegades if only because they give me more Lance Dunbar. The season is a success so long as he scores more touchdowns.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

I have been satisfied with the Dallas Renegades if only because they give me more Lance Dunbar. The season is a success so long as he scores more touchdowns.

Dunbar and CAP (Cameron Artis-Payne) are the main reasons to watch that team for sure. Oh, and Donald Parham

I enjoyed the announcers having their minds blown that the Renegades were running literally the same play over and over and over but you know what, it wasn't being stopped so why change it

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Don't disagree with that list for the most part; I could be convinced to put DC over NY, but man are the Defenders backsliding fast. Seattle is pretty bad as well, and with none of the bright spots that Tampa and LA have.

Houston's defense is going to cost them games, and I wouldn't be shocked if Dallas takes the rematch; they turned the ball over multiple times and Houston only won by seven. Says a lot about both teams.

I agree that St. Louis is the most complete team.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm actually finding it enjoyable that I can basically watch the entire league every week, thanks to the small size and two-day schedule.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
Being a road team seems to hurt team chances a lot more in the XFL than in the N.

My guess is that XFL teams just don't have the resources to transport and house their teams on the road in a good enough fashion for them to play well.

K8.0 posted:

I'm actually finding it enjoyable that I can basically watch the entire league every week, thanks to the small size and two-day schedule.

This. I feel like I can keep on top of the entire league.

And due to half the games being on Saturdays, this resident of New Zealand actually gets to watch football at the weekend.

dingo with a joint fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 3, 2020

Play
Apr 25, 2006

K8.0 posted:

There's full games and condensed games on youtube too which is nice, super easy to catch up if you miss them. That probably won't last once the XFL is large enough to start handing out DMCA violations but for now its cool

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
MLS started the past weekend, so I was too busy to watch the XFL.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
watching fake football instead of real football. sad!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I'm mostly confused how the two best running backs in the league both ended up on the air raid team

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I feel like the XFL should have way more coaching creativity and trick plays.

To me the rules favor aggressive playcalls and risk but we still have these old irrelevant people coaching these teams and doing stupid poo poo like punting on 4th and 1 past the 50 yard line.

These coaches for the most part loving suck and can't adjust to the new rules. Even Trestman can barely figure it out and he came from the CFL that had way weirder rules.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I agree the coaching isn't great. Calling the same play 10 times in a row may be funny but it doesn't really speak to the coaching creativity in the league. There have been a few notable creative plays, the reverse punt touchdown and the double forward pass, but mostly it's pretty plain stuff.

Given what the coaches had to work with though, I get the feeling they were only able to install so much. That's something that should improve as time goes on. If the XFL is ever anything more than a league for castoffs ans has beens they might be able to get some better coaches. After the AAF collapsed I'm guessing it was a tough sell for people still involved in college/NFL coaching

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Having a seattle football team that sucks sure brings back memories.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
The problem with calling trick plays is your players are barely capable of executing regular plays

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

For what they're getting paid, they're all trick plays

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/HalMumme/status/1234655206761287681

lol

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Freakazoid_ posted:

Having a seattle football team that sucks sure brings back memories.

Memories of January?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

pasaluki posted:

I feel like the XFL should have way more coaching creativity and trick plays.

To me the rules favor aggressive playcalls and risk but we still have these old irrelevant people coaching these teams and doing stupid poo poo like punting on 4th and 1 past the 50 yard line.

These coaches for the most part loving suck and can't adjust to the new rules. Even Trestman can barely figure it out and he came from the CFL that had way weirder rules.

It's always the same problem in this leauges, the coaches are looking towards that next NFL or major college gig and so they coach that way.

The best thing the XFL could do is go get some mad scientist coaches from middle of no-where Texas high schools who have to come up with crazy schemes and plays. Put that kind of stuff into practice with borderline NFL talent would be a show.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

The problem with calling trick plays is your players are barely capable of executing regular plays

I think the quality of play is pretty good, its light years ahead of XFL 1.0.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.espn.com/xfl/story/_/id/28846329/centurylink-field-vendor-worked-xfl-game-diagnosed-coronavirus

Play
Apr 25, 2006

that's pretty fucken badass actually. I remember that happening. At the time the announcers were saying Mumme had a bad back, guess they should've been focused on his leg

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Football time

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I would love an upset here

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

oilers monkaS

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
So we're doing the GDT here? Works for me.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The narrative over the past couple weeks that the Dragons are a bottom-tier team never jived with me. I'm still surprised by how well they're playing this game.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Jacoby not down with the XFL sideline interviews.

Also, not worried yet, but man if the Dragons are the first team the Oilers lose to.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Agree so hard with the commentary here - failing to let potential turnover plays play out is a huge problem in the NFL. At least 2-3 games a year are primarily decided by an early whistle. Handling it this way is so much better.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
There's a lot of things the NFL can learn from the XFL officiating, let's be honest

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That'd be like a 200k fine in the NFL lol.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
The Roughnecks Are Frauds

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
We have a GDT now https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916464&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

the oilers are the best team in the league.

bad news for my beloved winged swords, but no point denying reality

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Renegades are butt

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Went to the Houston game yesterday and it was amazing. Got my friends and I a pack of 4 tickets for 24 a pop on Tuesday but before game day they were going for over 75. Popularity is growing! It was like a college atmosphere. Tons of fun and it was like every kind of fan base across all sports was there just enjoying spring football.

If you have a chance to catch a game I highly recommend it. Seems like even the concessions were cheaper too? A healthy bunch of the road team fans were there as well. I still don’t understand the sad sacks who want this thing to fail.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've personally been comparing it to Division I-FCS. Is it better than the NFL? Gods no. Is it still enjoyable and has a niche? Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

BrownThunder posted:

I still don’t understand the sad sacks who want this thing to fail.

I mean it’s the same logic as like 99% of discord chat just apply to xfl i think