Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

BrownThunder posted:

I still don’t understand the sad sacks who want this thing to fail.

I dont think they want it to fail, they just want to be on record so they can go "I TOLD YOU SO. Back in 2020 I was totally telling everyone the XFL was bad and wouldn't make it. I'm so smart."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

People mostly want XFL to fail because its owned by an evil guy (like even by sports owners' standards) and was announced as part of the racist president going "no kneeling."

I just think it will probably fail because I think while its understandable that big football fans want more football I'm not actually convinced that's a big enough group or that there's a viable business plan for spring football or that XFL did anything different to figure it out. But we'll see.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I think it should start later. I don't miss football a week after the Super Bowl.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

STAC Goat posted:

People mostly want XFL to fail because its owned by an evil guy (like even by sports owners' standards) and was announced as part of the racist president going "no kneeling."

I just think it will probably fail because I think while its understandable that big football fans want more football I'm not actually convinced that's a big enough group or that there's a viable business plan for spring football or that XFL did anything different to figure it out. But we'll see.

Vince is a huge piece of poo poo, but he's not any worse than any of the other billionaire owners in the NFL. It's just that outside of Jerry, the rest of the owners don't make as much as an effort to create a public persona.

Athanatos posted:

I think it should start later. I don't miss football a week after the Super Bowl.

Yeah, this. I'm enjoying the XFL (Oiler up), but I'm definitely feeling football fatigue.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

iospace posted:

I've personally been comparing it to Division I-FCS. Is it better than the NFL? Gods no. Is it still enjoyable and has a niche? Yes.

It felt like going to a game in the student section at Texas Tech. They called for last call in the middle of the 4th but no one gave a poo poo and they were selling beer up until the fumble that sealed the game. Lots of colleges represented there from across the nation. Was really great to see and reinforced the whole “just wanna see some sports” feel. Attendance wise it was packed and a lot of talk about opening up the third level of the stadium. Saw some fans wander up there and get kicked back down.

Athanatos posted:

I dont think they want it to fail, they just want to be on record so they can go "I TOLD YOU SO. Back in 2020 I was totally telling everyone the XFL was bad and wouldn't make it. I'm so smart."

This seems like the most likely one. You’d think they could focus that negativity into something productive , literally anything else, but then there wouldn’t be any activity on their twitter accounts.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Athanatos posted:

They’re in a tough spot. It fits in perfectly between the end of the NFL season and the draft as is now, but maybe doing it after the draft they wouldn’t get much interest. Also if they have players who want to get signed on with NFL teams, they wouldn’t get a break between their XFL and NFL seasons. Injuries and all too. I feel like this way the teams can pick up anyone from the XFL they didn’t fill the position with in the draft.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Athanatos posted:

A lot of players are probably using this to put tape out there to try and get to or back to the nfl. Starting it now is almost an extended combine for when free agency starts.

Also starting it later means summer football and people will die

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the scheduling is a big part of the "spring football" dilemma. Starting after the Superbowl makes sense in that it takes advantage of that dead zone in sports where nothing else major is going on and takes the momentum of the Superbowl. The downside is it leads to direct comparisons when they can't hope to compete on talent levels and risks football fatigue right as the other big sports stuff is starting up.

If you start in like April then you got MLB and late season NBA and NHL but that's manageable and you've had time for people to miss football. But you still come up against the same basic problem that come summer you got NBA and NHL playoffs maybe Olympics or World Cup and pennant baseball and risk people losing interest for more established, higher quality sports play. Plus just the general more distractions summer draws from the winter. And now you're just a few months away from the NFL.

Its the fundamental problem, I think. A late winter/spring/summer football league is always going to have two big hurdles. 1) The talent level basically makes them the C level football league and 2) you gotta get more sports fans than just the diehard football fans looking for something to watch between the Combine and the Draft. I don't know how to overcome that and it doesn't feel to me like XFL did anything to. Ironically the first XFL did at least seem to have an idea about how to draw in wider fans, even if it was a really dumb idea.

Shinji2015 posted:

Vince is a huge piece of poo poo, but he's not any worse than any of the other billionaire owners in the NFL. It's just that outside of Jerry, the rest of the owners don't make as much as an effort to create a public persona.
While its probably true that there are owners just as evil or more evil as Vince and we just don't know their sins, the reality is we do know (some) of Vince's sins and they're REAL bad. So like, when people find out a sports owner is really evil in a specific way they tend to grow to hate them specifically and wish for their failure. So people who know who Vince McMahon is want to see him fail. That seems normal.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

While its probably true that there are owners just as evil or more evil as Vince and we just don't know their sins, the reality is we do know (some) of Vince's sins and they're REAL bad. So like, when people find out a sports owner is really evil in a specific way they tend to grow to hate them specifically and wish for their failure. So people who know who Vince McMahon is want to see him fail. That seems normal.

Oh, that's more than fair. I like the idea of spring football, and for more players to get a shot to play pro ball, but if Vince can fail seperately from the XFL, that would be great.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The meat of the season being in March is a bad idea but it's not like they have many options

I wonder how badly the ratings will tank once the tournament starts

e: with something as niche as the XFL is anyway I wonder if it would be feasible to put the season on hold during march madness in the future and the resume once it's over

STAC Goat posted:

I don't agree that Vince is any more evil than any other sports owner and if NFL/MLB/NBA owners could get away with their players being listed as independent contractors with no benefits or union they absolutely would

Intruder fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 8, 2020

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
yeah I don't know anything about Vince except, ya know, wacky wrestling guy and stuff, people who watch and care about wrestling probably have more complicated opinions

I'd be fine if the XFL failed, I just want one spring league to succeed and so far the XFL has done the best job, but if they fold and another one opens next year I'll be there for it

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Play posted:

yeah I don't know anything about Vince except, ya know, wacky wrestling guy and stuff, people who watch and care about wrestling probably have more complicated opinions

I'd be fine if the XFL failed, I just want one spring league to succeed and so far the XFL has done the best job, but if they fold and another one opens next year I'll be there for it

he treats his wrestlers as independent contractors to avoid giving them health benefits, among other shady stuff

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I will support any football minor league because they will always be the lesser evil to the NCAA

GO RENEGADES

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Declan MacManus posted:

he treats his wrestlers as independent contractors to avoid giving them health benefits, among other shady stuff

That's probably somewhere within the realm of stuff people would be reasonably justified to say is in the same world as NFL owner's sins, as would the millions he's given to Trump and how close he is to Trump including his wife being a former Cabinet member and currently running a Trump re-election PAC.

But the more Vince specific stuff off the top of my head is that time he covered up a murder, that time he raped a woman, and that time he protected and rehired people running a pedophile ring in his promotion.

People have reason to specifically hate Vince McMahon. He's very evil.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Some XFL news...

https://twitter.com/NOTESxNOKES/status/1237057466099216389

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916805