Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I don't want another "decent" science ficiton flavoured action series. I want a noir cyberpunk hard science fiction show. :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What made Meths truly scary was their sheer willpower to just live.

I think Reileen, of all characters, demonstrated that very well. The clones fight was horrific and showed how barely human she (and Meths) really are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Torquemada posted:

It is in fact one of the most boring things ever committed to screen, because it’s cliched. No energy, no surprises, just a turgid floppy load of old poo poo. The books may not be great works of fiction, but they have edge, energy and anger in them. I can’t understand how Morgan signed off on such a toothless joyless adaptation.

It’s cliched and packed with enough fanbait like Poe that it avoids being boring by virtue of being the kind of media where you can predict how they’re gonna gently caress up next and be right every single time. The fact there’s no surprise [i]is the surprise[i]. It’s loving awful in a way that’s hard to look away from, compared to a lot of regular-bad stuff I turn off an episode or two in. Part of that may just be because I liked Season 1 so much for nailing how I imagined the books looking so well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s cliched and packed with enough fanbait like Poe that it avoids being boring by virtue of being the kind of media where you can predict how they’re gonna gently caress up next and be right every single time. The fact there’s no surprise is the surprise. It’s loving awful in a way that’s hard to look away from, compared to a lot of regular-bad stuff I turn off an episode or two in. Part of that may just be because I liked Season 1 so much for nailing how I imagined the books looking so well.

Season 1 definitely had some good parts in it when it didn't try to wander off and do its own thing.

Though one of my favourite bits is one of the changes, just for how mind-bogglingly stupid it is; Kovacs selling the lie to Laurens. I just love how they take a really simple explanation of "he went slumming in a Virtual Brothel and picked up a virus", walking it verbatim as it goes in the books up to the moment he's going to shoot himself and tie the bow on a neat little lie that'll get the job done flawlessly.

And then for no reason they have Kovacs tack on "oh and then Oumou Prescott walks in and shoots you before you could shoot yourself", as some kind of petty act of... vengeance? Rebellion? :confused:

It's not like she might have an ALIBI or any one of a dozens ways to prove this didn't happen, but no, send for the guards and ruin her life, so sayeth The King Laurens Bancroft :wotwot:.

itry posted:

I think Reileen, of all characters, demonstrated that very well. The clones fight was horrific and showed how barely human she (and Meths) really are.

The intent was probably to show how loving nuts she was, but it really would be splitting hairs on a pretty great fight scene with a Meth who was hell-bent on survival for her and Kovacs. She just would not go down :suspense:.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Another thing that pissed me off is how they made the meth's more evil in a way that missed how evil they already were. Harlan commits genocide, his daughter fakes a war to become a dictator, it's so over the top. How about the fact that they're a family of immortal oligarchs who literally own a planet, isn't that evil enough?

But enough about our current politics.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oh poo poo, the (original) actor portraying Jaeger is Ronnie from that one episode of Barry (wheezing Taekwondo master)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

itry posted:

I don't want another "decent" science ficiton flavoured action series. I want a noir cyberpunk hard science fiction show. :colbert:

Same.

I wonder if the writers of AC saw The Expanse and got jealous and that's why they're doubling down on ~ALIENS~ ?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

McSpanky posted:

None of this is making season 2 sound particularly interesting, I think I'll just pretend season 1 was a fairly decent one-and-done.

Good call

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Just like Westworld - the limited series.

Zaphod42 posted:

Same.

I wonder if the writers of AC saw The Expanse and got jealous and that's why they're doubling down on ~ALIENS~ ?

All the writers probably left and no one bothered keeping track of continuity.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Another thing that pissed me off is how they made the meth's more evil in a way that missed how evil they already were. Harlan commits genocide, his daughter fakes a war to become a dictator, it's so over the top. How about the fact that they're a family of immortal oligarchs who literally own a planet, isn't that evil enough?

do you ever pay attention to the news

the meths in altered carbon are loving babbys at doing evil poo poo lol

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just got around to watching this today, and my god is it bad. Just a complete waste of a premise. Not even in a "the books were better" way, just on its own merits. Every opportunity to do something interesting is squandered. It also keeps contradicting itself, and doesn't seem to know what it's trying to say.

Just a few things I don't think have been brought up yet:
  • One of Kovacs super powers is supposed to be that he can adjust almost immediately to a new body, right? So how the gently caress did Trepp just switch into his body and use it to rescue her family?
  • Why does everyone seem to think that killing immortal aristocrats is a bad thing? That's literally the description of a vampire. Everyone should want to kill vampires.
  • How the hell can any "weapon" destroy someone's backups? Their backups are stored in a separate location, not in their body. And presumably there'd be redundant copies, because if you're that rich you're not going to risk everything on a single backup. You'd probably even keep an archive of old ones just in case you wanted to load up a copy of yourself from fifty years ago to ask them a question or something. How are all of them destroyed by something happening to the active copy? The show encourages you to question this by making it a mystery but then "solves" it by just saying it's mysterious alien technology, which is no answer at all.
  • If you excised the Poe storyline from this series, I don't think anything in the main story would change at all? It's basically an unrelated side story to pad the runtime.
  • The power dynamics between Harlan and Carrera are really weird. It's never clear which of them has authority over the other or why, or how either of them fit into the larger political structure.

Mostly though it was just really boring.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rah! posted:

do you ever pay attention to the news

the meths in altered carbon are loving babbys at doing evil poo poo lol

Also true! So it's doubly annoying that they tried to make them capitalist overlords (who are also evil). You don't need the second bit! The evil is already baked in!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I wanted this to be so much better...

Why gently caress up what the Envoys even are? They're not super soldiers or commandos, they're supposed to be equipped to singlehandedly disrupt an entire planet or civilization using intelligence and manipulation. I mean sure they have combat training but it's incidental.

Why change the history of Harlan's world?

Why make Quellcrist 300 years younger and Kovacs' girlfriend? Why make her the creator of the stacks?

Why change the aliens' role from unkown progenitors to angry ghosts?

I don't feel like any of those things make the show any better and they're all just weird glaring changes.

I also didn't even pick up on Harlan's world being the source of stack ingredients being a massively insane plot hole (although in the source Mars was littered with alien ruins and that might have been in s1 it's been a while)

It was ok as a fun glowy shooty action show but that's about it.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 20, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pile of brown posted:

I don't feel like any of those things make the show any better and they're all just weird glaring changes.

The fundamental problem is none of the changes are good or interesting, they're just digging into a barrel of writing cliches well past their use-by date and throwing them onscreen with bits of the books randomly stapled on over them to look pretty.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The fundamental problem is none of the changes are good or interesting, they're just digging into a barrel of writing cliches well past their use-by date and throwing them onscreen with bits of the books randomly stapled on over them to look pretty.

Exactly. When they change things it’s not some original twist, it’s almost always aggressively cliched. And inconsistent, like Kovacs being perfect at changing sleeves whenever they talk about him, but every time he changes sleeves in this season he’s jacked up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Exactly. When they change things it’s not some original twist, it’s almost always aggressively cliched. And inconsistent, like Kovacs being perfect at changing sleeves whenever they talk about him, but every time he changes sleeves in this season he’s jacked up.

Don't forget Trepp just resleeving in Kovacs' body while he's doing VR Stuff and walking out the door like it's nothing. Resleeving's a whole deal in of itself, and she should be going through a couple of hours of her brain fighting itself with "oh what the christ, that's not my face, why are my arms longer, oh god I'm taller, woah that's a dick between my legs" before getting anywhere near close to okay.

Also just the whole double-sleeving Kovacs (again, because it was cool in the first season :pseudo:). In the books it made sense because they functionally brought in Kovacs in his prime as an Envoy to go hunt down the burn-out veteran with a long history of bad decisions and experiences he'd since become. Here, he's in his prime "CTAC Marine" days from *checks notes* before he became an Envoy and (even by the show's narrative) had his mind rebuilt and retrained to fight and overwhelm *checks notes again* ...CTAC Marines? :confused:

edit: One thing that really sells how badly they don't understand the basics is they're flat determined to build it like a regular TV show with a recurring cast of actors. If anything, Altered Carbon should be built like an anthology with a new cast each time.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 21, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqNB45z3y2g

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Has anyone watched the altered carbon anime that just got put up?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Sure, adding anime to this atrocity might cause some kind of tear in the universe so we can return to a good timeline.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Torquemada posted:

Sure, adding anime to this atrocity might cause some kind of tear in the universe so we can return to a good timeline.

:hmmyes:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bip Roberts posted:

Has anyone watched the altered carbon anime that just got put up?

The trailer looked so bad I haven’t started it yet but I’ll probably put it on at some point to kill the boredom.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Looked bad? It looked better than season 2 by miles.

Less than 10 minutes left. It's basically a huge action anime cliche with a bunch of fight/action choreography that I recognize from Ghost in the Shell and Ninja Scroll at least. Other than that is the heap of unexplained Japanese culture that's par for the course, on top of a story placed somewhere I'm assuming is before the first season of the Netflix show.

Oh, and stacks are still very fragile to normal ballistics.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i liked the chain guns that fired arrows for some reason

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The anime has more gratuitous RDing, another friendly hotel-AI, and a plot twist that doesn't make a blind bit of sense.

So uh...its Altered Carbon alright.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Wow season 2 sure is some scifi flavored TV sausage.

I guess this is the great writing you get by bringing on the esteemed talent from Charmed and The Flash.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I watched the first half of the anime last night and I have to say for killing hundreds of identical ninja dudes with little discernible motivation the stakes of who you care about couldn't be lower. That said the run time is going to end up way less than season 2 so it's probably going to be better.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Sounds like the anime movie should be skipped too, huh? :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Breakfast All Day posted:

Wow season 2 sure is some scifi flavored TV sausage.

I guess this is the great writing you get by bringing on the esteemed talent from Charmed and The Flash.

Literally everything in Altered Carbon, both seasons, feels like it's written through the facet of an early/mid 2000's show like Buffy or Angel.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Watched the last half hour of the anime and what a forgettable piece of media.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Literally everything in Altered Carbon, both seasons, feels like it's written through the facet of an early/mid 2000's show like Buffy or Angel.

Untrue- the first season at least had the book to carry some weight, and it did well until it went off into the wild New Writer yonder.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Untrue- the first season at least had the book to carry some weight, and it did well until it went off into the wild New Writer yonder.

A brooding immortal works out of an old hotel, alongside a british person, a woman dealing with severe mental trauma, a black man ready for a fight, and sometimes assists a cop with cases they can't deal with normally.

Did I just talk about Altered Carbon, or Angel circa season 3?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A brooding immortal works out of an old hotel, alongside a british person, a woman dealing with severe mental trauma, a black man ready for a fight, and sometimes assists a cop with cases they can't deal with normally.

Did I just talk about Altered Carbon, or Angel circa season 3?

A stuffy British person who ends up being handy in a fight sometimes, no less.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

itry posted:

Sounds like the anime movie should be skipped too, huh? :(

Tak teams up with a sexy CTAC agent who is secretly Rei

It's awful. And when it's not awful, it's boring.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's awful. And when it's not awful, it's boring.

Holy mother of god that twist in the spoilers. The writing team really likes two characters, don’t they?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

NO

shut up, they did not

The writing team really likes two characters, don’t they?

just lmao

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

A whole generation of TV writers has taken "compelling stories are character-driven" to mean "compelling stories are just exploring every permutation of plugging a cast of 5 characters into 2- and 3-character conflict template scenes"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Holy mother of god that twist in the spoilers. The writing team really likes two characters, don’t they?

It's also completely irrelevant to the plot, obviously Tak never finds out, and she acts completely differently.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's also completely irrelevant to the plot, obviously Tak never finds out, and she acts completely differently.

Sounds like an afterthought. Nonsense, either way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Strom Cuzewon posted:

How the hell did that make it to production without someone going “that’s stupid as hell, change it”

itry
Aug 23, 2019

A sign that she's the main character for season 3? If there is a third season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I was totally confused as to why you guys all thought he didn't figure out that detail, but you must've all listened to the English dub. It's pretty drat explicit that he does in the Japanese track.