Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I also checked out the first episode of UK
Skip it. All of it. It was a failed prototype, and AU is the paragon of the format.

I keep meaning to track down subbed episodes of the non-US versions, I've heard a few of them were good.

The NZ series was alrightish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Habibi posted:

Except of course for loving Kale in S1, but it seems as though they learned their lesson from that shitshow.
I've got some bad news..

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Habibi posted:

Kale didn't strike me as a "bad person," per se, so much as a self-centered rear end in a top hat who used his neurodivergency to excuse his lovely behavior.
Precisely this. Just a narcist trying to handwave it by crying neuro-diverse. Like dude, I'm more autistic than you, you're just a douche.

Habibi posted:

Was it much of a redemption arc for him on the show?
There was no redemption arc. He doesn't change his behavior at all. I feel about S5 Kale almost exactly what I felt about S1 Kale.

Habibi posted:

Yikes. You know it's bad when a contestant on a whacky kids toy themed reality program is labeled a "dark mark on the show."
I found her a worse person but not more annoying and impactful than Kale. It was mostly feeling awful for her team mate (they were paired together by the show, not a natural team).

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

PostNouveau posted:

Australia will win, and honestly, they might have to do some cooking the books to get a US team in the finals. I assume they're gonna try for a AUS, US, UK final 3. Never seen the UK version.

Fake edit: Oh wow, there's also a Belgium/Netherlands version and a Finland version. And France and New Zealand ...

The UK version is a wholly different format, unrecognizable compared to the rest of the Masters series. It was kinda pretty lame. I'm really hoping for non-anglosphere contestants. There's got to be plenty of European finalists that speak adequate English and they definitely have the building chops. The only cool thing about seeing some Americans would be the relief at seeing them drop the stupid caricature acts forced on them by LMUS.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I can see that. I’ve never really had much interest in competition shows, but I used to watch Taskmaster and it kinda lost my interest when it seemed constantly on. Quality over quantity anyday.

If you never watch another season, go find Taskmaster New Zealand and watch the second season. As someone that's watched damned near all of it including the international non-English versions, TM:NZ S2 is lightning in a bottle.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

en zed was better than 'merica,. The host felt kind of low energy which was weird, but then it turned out he was undergoing cancer treatment so that makes perfect sense (he's back to his usual self by this season of TM:NZ, btw). It also felt like a bunch of the challenges they did were cutting room leftovers from AU, like the monochrome challenge. I'll admit, I thought it might be interesting, and apparently Brickman had been asking for it for a while, but even he stopped after NZ tried it and it just didn't work in the LM format. I still haven't watched the second season of it, but I've been meaning to.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I want someone to sit down with the 'tech bros' and explain to them that phrase is spoken with the same invective as 'douchebags'. It is only used pejoratively, despite all the people trying to 'own it'.

This feels like the weakest group yet. The winning boat would have been bottom middle of any other season, and first-out in AU. Like the team that went home, one of them seemed pretty forthright that they don't really build, and one of the techbros talked about how he only builds from instructions. gently caress the LM:US production staff, stupid bastards are sabotaging and ruining a simple format that's proven to work.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

AU never has as many teams. US is always 12-13, AU is 8-9.

US s4e1 is also the least time for a first build of either the US or AU and I think it was a terrible choice. They usually have 14-17 hours. 10 is usually what they get for their second smaller build. But even looking at the gamut of second episodes, this season looks like poo poo in comparison.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 5, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Its season 4, anyone who is good at lego would have been on seasons 1-3. These are just douche bags who have a lot of money and know enough buzz words to appear competent but really aren't, like most tech bros.

Australia, a country less than a tenth of the size of America, has had no trouble producing 4 seasons worth of awesome builders. The problem isn't the talent pool, it's the producer. Majority of the blame rests on one Antonia M. Green, <Troy Mclure voice> who you may know from 'The Hunt for Hogzilla' and 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition'.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

PostNouveau posted:

I'm not crazy in thinking they give them way less time on the US one, right? I feel like it makes the contestants look a lot worse.

They usually have around 15 hours for a first build, 10 on the next much smaller build.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I tried making an abridged cut of an episode of LM:US last season starting by cutting out any time the judges were talking, Will's skits, the most annoying 'social media' moments from the contestants, and I was already below 15 minutes. The final cut was sub 10. I've never felt the need to this with AU.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I am torn. I hate the tech bros as people, but they don't suck as builders and this field feels real weak so the show needs them.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Let's make this easier to talk about.

US seaon 4, episode 3 (us.s04e03)

Poppy and Ben deserved that win, well constructed and well thought out. I also really like Tim & Tim's build. In taking screenshots, once you get Fox to stop loving around with the camera, there's all kinds of good story telling going on all over it.

The tech douches slapped a space marine face on a flat pile of bricks and built a bunch of mono color featureless corridors. And they're still in the front half of this pack.

Jordan and Chris earned that L by building a boring garish obelisk on top of a boring blob of sand and a lot of nothing but also that mechanism needed a titanic amount of lava, well beyond what they should have expected. Paul & Nealita, and Emily & Kelly won't be around much longer, those were both basic and poorly thoughout builds. If Neena & Sam hadn't won last week they'd be on the outs as well. Where the gently caress were the judges when they were going Kale scale with that mountain? Brickman would have stepped in as soon as they got the bottom perimeter down to have a talk with them about realistic expectations.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 16, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Cojawfee posted:

Also, thanks for posting the pictures. It's really easy to completely forget what each team built when you can only really see them for a few seconds each.
I was a bit surprised I couldn't find anywhere else that pics of them. As little screen time as they all get at this point, it's real easy to entirely forget about some of the builds. I'll make a point to post up spoilered further episode build reminder pics.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

It's weird that twice in one season, there have been teams that fundamentally don't understand how ramps work. I was pausing and slow-mo gawking at Neena and Sams ramp because I can't for the life of my figure out why they thought it would work?

That's not a gap. That's not a 'crack' as Will put it. It's a gaping hole.

And all the corners are like this.

It's not like the spillway has to be completely water tight, just overhang the gaps. This was fixable with 10 seconds of worthwhile judge intervention.

The producers don't give a poo poo about making cool lego builds, they just want to do basic teevee elimination melodrama. And the judges are complicit at best.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

The pyro didn't bump gently caress all. That was entirely post-production screen shake. It just plain never worked and apparently they never tested it.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

For completeness sake and later callbacks, build shots from the first two episodes.

US seaon 4, episode 1 (us.s04e01)

Note: they never got a title card shot, though they did have an animated sequence.

US seaon 4, episode 2 (us.s04e02)

And special call out to the director of cinematography, 'low angle into a can light' looks like poo poo and I hope you get hemorrhoids.

Bonus gif:

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 16, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

The tech bros big face looks like a space marine head to me. I thought at first they were going with an homage to the classic Pirates set Islanders, the King Kahuka mask.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

US seaon 4, episode 1 (us.s04e04)

My personal rankings of the builds.

Top Tier: any of them could have been a winner
Poppy & Ben's Hydra Attack - Great motion, and excellent composition of the piece. For a ten hour build (gently caress you Fox you time stingy bastards) it's impressive.
Chris & Robert's Alien Conquest - It keeps raising my bile that the Tech Bros are actually solid builders and deserve to be here. The beam was a little hard to read, but the spaceship was cool and the tractor mechs made it real fun.
Neena & Sam's Cuckoo Clock - Again great movement, excellent presence with the height. The brick should have gone to either of the other top tier teams but still a cool build.

Mid Tier: don't send them home just yet
Luis & Alex's Monkeying Around - Great character work, but that tree everything else is noticably lower quality, especially the tree. Barely misses top tier.
Aubree & Ryan's Mess on Jupiter - Good colors, meh ship and aliens, yet another build where Brickman would have stepped in at hour 2 and had them step back and assess the weight of elements, but these loving useless judges just don't seem to give a real poo poo about cool Lego builds.
Allyson & Melanie's Monster Meal - Did not fit the sound at all, boring movement, and the monsters are competent but boring shapes. The picnic basket and melon slices in the back are actually my favorite parts.

Bottom Tier: can we please cut them now so we can spend more time with better builds?
Tim & Tim's Great Willroni - I was yelling at the TV about them getting sent home, but the more I look at it now, man, it really is bare and basic. They needed some Brickman guidance to stick with their plans instead of choking. What's there is good, it's just so scant.
Emilee & Kelly's Lonely Robot - Just squares with stuff stuck on them. Felt uninspired and simplistic.
Paul & Nealita's Brick Baby - I hate the baby, especially its face and body. I hate the super square crib. I hate the rats. All it has going for it is size I guess? And the story sucked.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

The replicate an object from this office challenge was copied direct from AU, which as always did it better. The host and judge both stayed in costume and played up the parts. Brickman pushed all the teams to do better builds. The US version even nods to the awesomeness of the AU version of this challenge with a closeup of a fan, which one of the AU teams did and it was insane, especially when it was like 2 hours left and Brickman just saunters up to them and goes "I bet you could make it oscillate as well. go on, make it oscillate" and they did.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

ruddiger posted:

Which season/episode did they do this challenge in the Australian show?
s5e03

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I really thought the rug finish was a manufactured moment, but when I went back and looked again, you can see other teams working on it while the Tech Bros are trying to assemble the chair. So that was nice to confirm. Or they gave everyone 5 extra minutes or something so they could build the chair, and everyone else jumped on the rug because it's not like it was going to make or break it, it's just a sweet gesture.

Misunderstood posted:

I need to check out some of those Aussie episodes. Like, even if I don’t find them better than the US episodes, it’s still, y’know, more “Lego Masters.”
You really do, I have never spoken with a single soul that's seen both and thought the US version was better. NZ was pretty meh though.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

BTW, sorry for the delay.

US seaon 4, episode 5 (us.s04e05)

And bonus gif of the mermaid train 'movement'

US seaon 4, episode 6 (us.s04e06)

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Paul & Nealita have me thinking back to David & Gus from AU. Those guys were amazing, unless the challenge was minifig scale or mechanical. And I feel like that's true of P&N, and this season was frontloaded with minifig and movement, but the last couple episodes that have been more sculptural they're finally able to show what got them here. Or maybe just plain getting better at a visible pace. But hard agree, I had them as gone by now, but at this point, I think they're going to be 3rd place behind Sam & Nena or the VC Bros and yeah it's painfully obvious there's an exec off stage gesticulating to ham it up and I blame them the most, but they're still going along with it.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

It's not a talent pool problem. It is an executive fuckery problem. Australia hasn't had a problem and they're even further into their pool, which is less than a tenth of the size.

Listen for it, but Will and judges keep talking about Lego Masters not as a competition, but as a reality show. That's how they think about it. They don't give a gently caress about Lego, it's a medium for drama to them.

The opening segment of episode 6, the detective room, listen to that. It's just a reality show, for entertaining people.

AU LM conversely makes the lego builds the stars of the show. It's also painfully apparent in the cinematography of the builds.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 20, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Incredibly lame. I had low expectations for LMUS, but this is the absolute nadir of the series. Going to tell the family it was an off week, because I'm not loving watching this.

I guess this is because Ben & Poppy dropped out, but shows staggering executive and production incompetence. Which is pretty standard for Fox, come to think of it.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

This is a paid vacation to the best brick collection in the world where you get to hang out with people that share your passion.

It hurt, how excited the Americans were to get 14 hours instead of the 8 Fox would have given them for a first build.

Germans absolutely dominated that opener. I was a little sad to see no Asian teams, but who's to say that won't be oz-vs-world s2?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Ep 2 was OK, felt more like a filler than LM:AU usually does, but still delightful. Best moment was Annaleena Mario Karting a chunk of the hotdog car at Michelle.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Red Riding Hood Horror was a safe and boring choice, but again the German's executed it beautifully.

The figures the Dane's did had such emotion in the body language they should have won, with a 2-way tie between the Wiz of Oz and Western Cindy.

The two guys that went home were definitely the right call. They've been disappointing throughout. Backwards bending knees and a giant boring brown box, FFS.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I really like the still life duplication episodes. Some of my favorites.

Bottom two teams in the bottom because they had fundamental flaws in scale and shape, but I'm not sure the right team went home.

The painting turned out way better than I thought it would, but the dithering they did on the floor in the bottom of the frame made it look worse and they could have taken the greebling to the actual image more, but considering how awesome the frame turned out, maybe they didn't have time.

I'm not upset the Germans won yet again because that build audacious and well exectued, but I was really pulling for the Danes because those mini cakes were flawless designs.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

S5 - Ida is my favorite part of this season.

S6 - The winning build felt like it was going to win from like hour 2, purely on the concept and scale. The underwater one was too busy with too boring a centerpiece, in terms of color and space. It needed more color variation and dynamism in posing of the shark. Monkey land is the second time Brickman has cautioned a non-winning build about mixed figure scales, and I hope people start paying attention to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Example #27 of a team going home because they didn't listen to Brickman. Also the foreground purple coral walls was an abysmally stupid idea. It looked like they got confused about the layers and had the background in front, midground in back, and foreground in the middle. I feel like all the cartoon choosers should have taken a slight penalty for going easy-mode compared to all the teams trying for humans, and the Danes had no place down in the bottom two.