Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My Spirit Otter posted:

How about that American sergeant who definitely did not abandon his post to run off and try to join the Taliban but get captured instead.

I feel that level of fuckupery is the most emblematic of the military

Didn't some dudes die looking for him? gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

EBB posted:

Didn't some dudes die looking for him? gently caress that guy.

Beau Berhgdal (or something like that) and yes.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

yeah gently caress that dude

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Hahaha Bowe Bergdahl was the biggest fuckin dirtbag of our generation

Serial, season 2 was a pretty wild ride

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

It all happened before I got to Sam Houston, but I found out that a few of the guys here at the Fort Sam band ended up getting to know Bergdahl pretty well while he was here. One of our french horn players got tagged to hang out with him, give him a hand with stuff, and ease his transition back into life stateside. A couple of other guys ended up drinking with him fairly often outside the NCO barracks they all lived in.

Apparently he'd feed the stray cats around the barracks, and then trap them and re-home them with people he knew. Any time he had to go to Bragg for his court-martial, he'd show up with a case of Shiner and a bag of cat food and ask a friend of mine to feed the cats while he was away - which pretty much amounted to dumping cat food on the ground by a conex that was across the street, but whatever.

Opinions on him were mixed, but everybody agreed he had some brain problems going on. Whether those were pre-existing or a result of the whole Taliban thing, I don't know.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Loden Taylor posted:

It all happened before I got to Sam Houston, but I found out that a few of the guys here at the Fort Sam band ended up getting to know Bergdahl pretty well while he was here. One of our french horn players got tagged to hang out with him, give him a hand with stuff, and ease his transition back into life stateside. A couple of other guys ended up drinking with him fairly often outside the NCO barracks they all lived in.

Apparently he'd feed the stray cats around the barracks, and then trap them and re-home them with people he knew. Any time he had to go to Bragg for his court-martial, he'd show up with a case of Shiner and a bag of cat food and ask a friend of mine to feed the cats while he was away - which pretty much amounted to dumping cat food on the ground by a conex that was across the street, but whatever.

Opinions on him were mixed, but everybody agreed he had some brain problems going on. Whether those were pre-existing or a result of the whole Taliban thing, I don't know.

That matches up pretty nicely with the portrait of Bergdahl we saw in Serial

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Deathy McDeath posted:

That matches up pretty nicely with the portrait of Bergdahl we saw in Serial

Serial left me with the impression it was before he signed up. Not that being with the Taliban helped, but the issues he was having that caused him going AWOL pre-date enlisting.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Nominating thing guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Medicine_Crow

Medicine Crow completed all four tasks required to become a war chief: touching an enemy without killing him (counting coup), taking an enemy's weapon, leading a successful war party, and stealing an enemy's horse.[6] He touched a living enemy soldier and disarmed him after turning a corner and finding himself face to face with a young German soldier:

The collision knocked the German's weapon to the ground. Mr. Crow lowered his own weapon and the two fought hand-to-hand. In the end Mr. Crow got the best of the German, grabbing him by the neck and choking him. He was going to kill the German soldier on the spot when the man screamed out 'momma.' Mr. Crow then let him go.[3]

He also led a successful war party and stole fifty horses owned by the Nazi SS from a German camp, singing a traditional Crow honor song as he rode off.[7][8]

Medicine Crow is the last member of the Crow tribe to become a war chief. He was interviewed and appeared in the 2007 Ken Burns PBS series The War, describing his World War II service.[3] Filmmaker Ken Burns said, "The story of Joseph Medicine Crow is something I've wanted to tell for 20 years."[9]

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
He's WAY too good for us.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

far too good

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I managed to keep a 737 trimed and in the air tonight No hose water

fun tmes

stinkypete fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 13, 2020

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

Medicine Crow completed all four tasks required to become a war chief: touching an enemy without killing him (counting coup), taking an enemy's weapon, leading a successful war party, and stealing an enemy's horse.[6] He touched a living enemy soldier and disarmed him after turning a corner and finding himself face to face with a young German soldier:

The collision knocked the German's weapon to the ground. Mr. Crow lowered his own weapon and the two fought hand-to-hand. In the end Mr. Crow got the best of the German, grabbing him by the neck and choking him. He was going to kill the German soldier on the spot when the man screamed out 'momma.' Mr. Crow then let him go.[3]

He also led a successful war party and stole fifty horses owned by the Nazi SS from a German camp, singing a traditional Crow honor song as he rode off.[7][8]

Medicine Crow is the last member of the Crow tribe to become a war chief. He was interviewed and appeared in the 2007 Ken Burns PBS series The War, describing his World War II service.[3] Filmmaker Ken Burns said, "The story of Joseph Medicine Crow is something I've wanted to tell for 20 years."[9]

I don’t think this bad motherfucker needs to be brought down by being associated with House Sad Brains.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

FrozenVent posted:

Yo, this guy rules.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
The last true American hero.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
still waiting on that hero

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

realtalk dolly parton rules and has stood the test of time and im down for getting a lady on there

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

realtalk dolly parton rules and has stood the test of time and im down for getting a lady on there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If anyone don't know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1zJzr-kWsI