Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

I mean, in real life you’re not gonna lay it on that thick or sound like you’re insulting people.

My point is it helps to stroke some voters’ egos a little when you’re talking to them. Some voters are wise to that kind of poo poo and get put off by it, but others absolutely eat it up. A lot of unemployed housewives and stay-at-home moms love this. People who are bored all day long and feel insecure or inadequate because they don’t have careers of their own (like me :smithicide:) need that kind of validation, and a little ego-stroking can go a long way.

I hear you and I hope you get that career you're looking for if you want it!

Code Jockey posted:

Hell yes, great thread.

Been sitting in texting queue all day, no texts for me yet. That's kind of awesome really, there are so many people doing texting today! I'll get my shot at some point.

Thank you to everyone who volunteers. This poo poo is so important and I deeply appreciate everyone who is contributing their valuable time to our dude.

Yeah, there's nothing more amazing than being like, ready, and they're like 'omg we already called everyone in that list?' cause the volume of work that Bernie volunteers perpetually surprises the organizers. Hell yeah to you for doing texting!!!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Another point for Bernie's electability is that Independents are a much larger proportion of the general electorate than the primary electorate. Bernie is the longest serving Independent in Congress and consistently has the highest favorability among Independents. Biden's record on trade, social security, etc. is a huge liability in swing states just like it was for Hillary.

We're probably gonna be perpetually understaffed on phonebanking and overstaffed on texting. I would highly recommend taking the training class and signing up for a shift - just an hour to start and go from there. I have call center experience so I'm numb to this somewhat, but I know basically everyone in our generation is anxious about phone calls since we've all been texting for 15 years. If you're phonebanking alone from home, there's nothing wrong with a bit of liquid courage to take the edge off. Phonebanking now is short conversations getting Bernie supporters committed to vote and swaying undecideds so your average call is gonna be a couple minutes or less. If you aren't in or near one of the states voting next Tuesday and canvassing isn't an option, phonebanking is the best use of your time. Getting callers who support Bernie or whose whole families are voting for him is a great shot in the arm to keep you going. The first few calls will be awkward but you'll find your rhythm quickly.

That's totally true, Bernie gets non-voters to vote. That's his whole thing. Hell. He got a non-volunteer in me to volunteer. And phonebanking is so cool, because you probably think about Bernie all day but you don't talk about Bernie all day. And there you are, telling some random person why you think he's the best ever.

PhilippAchtel posted:

Live in Southern Ontario and want to knock doors and attend a Bernie rally on Sunday, March 8? If you live anywhere between Kitchener and Ann Arbor, I will pick you up. I'm thinking knock doors from either 9am or 12pm until 3pm and then attend the rally at 6pm.

No excuses, Canada goons!

gently caress to the yeah! Bernie Rallies are awesome and everyone should go! Thanks Canado friend! :canada: o7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

ive phone banked for the san francisco bicycle coalition before and theres no reason im not gonna volunteer to talk to strangers if it will help BERNIE loving SANDWRS BECOME THE PRESTSTEBF OF THE UNITSZKSTARQZ

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm canvassing Sunday. If I can do it literally anyone can. Most people will not be mean, and some will actually be really cool so get the gently caress off your stupid buttholes and help win this loving thing

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Can we get some forums banner ads for this thread?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

hhhat posted:

gently caress to the yeah! Bernie Rallies are awesome and everyone should go! Thanks Canado friend! :canada: o7

I'm a US citizen in Canada. My kids are dual citizens. This means a lot to me, but obviously the outcome of this election will impact Canadians as well.

I really honestly feel bad I can't do more, and if I was in the US, you bet I'd be a victory captain right alongside you. Nevertheless, we all do what we can, and the movement moves forward day by day.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I spent 5 hours phone banking on Super Tuesday and I signed up to be a Victory Captain in my very-late voting state. Please volunteer! Just loving do it! Even if Sanders loses, a close loss will give us leverage for the next 4 years until it's time to volunteer for Alexandria '24

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

OMGVBFLOL posted:

ive phone banked for the san francisco bicycle coalition before and theres no reason im not gonna volunteer to talk to strangers if it will help BERNIE loving SANDWRS BECOME THE PRESTSTEBF OF THE UNITSZKSTARQZ

gently caress yeah bicycle man!

Dolphin posted:

I'm canvassing Sunday. If I can do it literally anyone can. Most people will not be mean, and some will actually be really cool so get the gently caress off your stupid buttholes and help win this loving thing

You guys should listen to this guy. I haven't talked to the general public since I waited tables in college. And I'm old and I am doing it!

I. M. Gei posted:

Can we get some forums banner ads for this thread?

You're awesome for pimping this thread thank you for getting it stickied!

PhilippAchtel posted:

I'm a US citizen in Canada. My kids are dual citizens. This means a lot to me, but obviously the outcome of this election will impact Canadians as well.

I really honestly feel bad I can't do more, and if I was in the US, you bet I'd be a victory captain right alongside you. Nevertheless, we all do what we can, and the movement moves forward day by day.

What you can do is great, there's no competition for being the most volunteer, we need anything anyone can do!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I spent 5 hours phone banking on Super Tuesday and I signed up to be a Victory Captain in my very-late voting state. Please volunteer! Just loving do it! Even if Sanders loses, a close loss will give us leverage for the next 4 years until it's time to volunteer for Alexandria '24

Hell yeah! See you on the weekly meetings dude! The org won't disappear in November win or lose!

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

PhilippAchtel posted:

you're phone banking, right? you can always victory captain some phonebanks

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I canvassed in Grand Rapids, Michigan today. Lots of new people turned out to canvass and phone bank but mostly canvass, which is awesome. The VC was running out of lists to give to people there were so many out there pounding the pavement. I think it'll be even crazier tomorrow. Plus Bernie apparently has two rallies in GR this weekend.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I wouldn’t be surprised. with the beating he took on ST Michigan is desperately needed going into the 17

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Speaking of the March 17th primaries, obviously we should spend most of our time working on the states that vote THIS Tuesday first, but it wouldn’t hurt to go ahead and spread some Bernie seeds in the states that primary right after that too. Those states have more than 500 delegates combined; 4 of them have over 100 delegates each, Florida being the biggest of them.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

I. M. Gei posted:

Speaking of the March 17th primaries, obviously we should spend most of our time working on the states that vote THIS Tuesday first, but it wouldn’t hurt to go ahead and spread some Bernie seeds in the states that primary right after that too. Those states have more than 500 delegates combined; 4 of them have over 100 delegates each, Florida being the biggest of them.

The goal for Florida is gonna be the same as South Carolina and all the other southern states - staunch the bleeding as much as possible. Bernie absolutely has to be viable in these states at a minimum. Biden is gonna get all the gusanos and white retirees in FL unless coronavirus or something keeps them away from the polls.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised. with the beating he took on ST Michigan is desperately needed going into the 17

Oh yeah ST seems to have put the fear of god into people. Everyone is extremely motivated.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

I. M. Gei posted:

NOBODY is going to vote for a Democrat that will do the same poo poo Trump does, when they can just vote for Trump instead!

This is a really loving stupid thing to say to someone who is planning to vote for Joe Biden in the general election.

Edit: oh, this was a cross-thread quote. To be more constructive, here's my take on why people vote for Joe Biden, and how to get them to not.
The liberal mindset in the age of Trump is this: Rather than any of his policies, it is his mental instability that is truly unacceptable. Any compromise or outright surrender on policy is acceptable as long as Trump's replacement is mentally stable. And I think it's a mistake to dismiss this as "decorum fetishism" or whatever. There is a very human sentiment behind it. If the President of the United States isn't mentally stable, how the gently caress are any of us supposed to be? For tens of millions of Americans, this one existential fear overwhelms all others. The single most important thing for the American people to realize as soon as possible is that Joe Biden would not be a return to normal. He is mentally deteriorating. His administration would be defined by infighting among those seeking power. Diplomatic relations would be disastrous. Any moment that called on him to use his Office to bring comfort to the American people in a crisis would be a failure. The 25th Amendment would likely be invoked at some point and the diseased political machinations of those involved would be no less toxic to the soul of the nation than those of today.
Bernie Sanders is the only functioning adult who is currently a major candidate for President. That is the fact that can and will win this election, if properly utilized.
Bernie or Bust.

SpiderHyphenMan has issued a correction as of 03:16 on Mar 7, 2020

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

stephenfry posted:

thanks for the smart answers

I get quite a few people saying they don't care about politics. I press them, of course, maybe by asking if the people they care about care about politics. Or asking what matters to them in this world.

I think that's a "Refused"

Tonight was a really good night on the phone for me, I sometimes get a few people who had not thought about who they were voting for yet and didn't have any particular pet issues.

For those folks I just expound on my own top 3 issues climate/m4a/worker representation for a minute and this always seems to make people say "yea actually that all sounds really good" and each time they've committed to Bernie by the end of the call

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I can also rely on at least one good prank response each time I phone bank. Tonight it was some guys pretending like I'd dialed a secure line at Area 51 and they were demanding to know my name and supervisor. At the end of the call they said they were going to have my position traced in 30 seconds so I responded "woah that's pretty cool, vote for Bernie on Tuesday!" *click*

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Kazak posted:

I can also rely on at least one good prank response each time I phone bank. Tonight it was some guys pretending like I'd dialed a secure line at Area 51 and they were demanding to know my name and supervisor. At the end of the call they said they were going to have my position traced in 30 seconds so I responded "woah that's pretty cool, vote for Bernie on Tuesday!" *click*

lmao that rules

MeatwadIsGod posted:

We're probably gonna be perpetually understaffed on phonebanking and overstaffed on texting. I would highly recommend taking the training class and signing up for a shift - just an hour to start and go from there. I have call center experience so I'm numb to this somewhat, but I know basically everyone in our generation is anxious about phone calls since we've all been texting for 15 years. If you're phonebanking alone from home, there's nothing wrong with a bit of liquid courage to take the edge off. Phonebanking now is short conversations getting Bernie supporters committed to vote and swaying undecideds so your average call is gonna be a couple minutes or less. If you aren't in or near one of the states voting next Tuesday and canvassing isn't an option, phonebanking is the best use of your time. Getting callers who support Bernie or whose whole families are voting for him is a great shot in the arm to keep you going. The first few calls will be awkward but you'll find your rhythm quickly.

Yeah admittedly this is beyond me at the moment, maybe when I get more comfortable with texting though. I know this is really valuable to do.

hhhat posted:

Yeah, there's nothing more amazing than being like, ready, and they're like 'omg we already called everyone in that list?' cause the volume of work that Bernie volunteers perpetually surprises the organizers. Hell yeah to you for doing texting!!!

I finally got in and did a small set of texts and IT FEELS AWESOME. I only ended up getting two replies, and when I saw the first one come in it was a total "oh gently caress oh god I'm going to gently caress this up and cost Bernie Washington by EXACTLY THIS ONE PERSON'S VOTE" but... honestly, it went fine. The person was a doofus and was just baiting me, but at least when I thought they were sincere, it was great practice. After a few messages it was super obvious they weren't acting in good faith, and so I moved on.

The other person just said "No, please remove me" and that was easy.

Even just doing that (and sending out a bunch of initial contact texts that didn't get responses) feels loving great. This feels so much more involved than clicking two buttons and donating cash. There's a crazy amount of support info for Bernie's positions, so it's not like you have to memorize everything, and a lot of human support in the Slack channel.

Stopping for tonight, I'm heading out for the weekend but will pick back up Sunday night probably.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Literally anyone in the world can volunteer there is no loving excuse, I'm in Australia and I've sent thousands of texts and made a few calls too :rms:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Aesculus posted:

Literally anyone in the world can volunteer there is no loving excuse, I'm in Australia and I've sent thousands of texts and made a few calls too :rms:

holy loving poo poo

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Aesculus posted:

oh my god we suspected Russia this whole time, when it was the Aussies who were interfering with our elections!!

(thank you cool aussie person, I used to have a good friend in Tasmania and holy gently caress was it expensive to call her)

Col.Schultz
May 14, 2010

Till we come to some beginning within our own power...
Tried to sign up for a few sessions worth of phone banking, but can’t because I don’t have a US phone number. I’m australian based and can make the time zones line up well enough (and speak with authority on the benefits of and barely noticeable tax implications of Medicare for all). Not to mention having spent enough time lurking the Succ Zone to be able to rattle of chapter and verse about why Bernie is best (and beats trump).

I want to help out and am happy to do whatever I can remotely (and as a non citizen). So if anyone has ideas feel free to let me know (or DM me).

My one achievement so far is convincing a colleague who is a dual citizen registered to vote in the Maryland primary to go Bernie.

Col.Schultz
May 14, 2010

Aesculus posted:

Aesculus, how are you signing up for phone? Or should I just go with text banking?

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Both the Bernie dialler and the Bernie texter are web based platforms. Even if you're overseas and can't make international calls or texts you can still use them.

For the Bernie dialler just input your country code or any number for your phone, login as instructed and let the page access your microphone. Even if you can't make any of the training webinars there are resources and a slack link at berniesanders.com/call (also the place you go to login to call people!)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
the bernie dialler is like one of those oldschool phone phreaking devices, except instead of giving you free long distance calls, it gives you free health care

Col.Schultz
May 14, 2010

Aesculus posted:

Both the Bernie dialler and the Bernie texter are web based platforms. Even if you're overseas and can't make international calls or texts you can still use them.

For the Bernie dialler just input your country code or any number for your phone, login as instructed and let the page access your microphone. Even if you can't make any of the training webinars there are resources and a slack link at berniesanders.com/call (also the place you go to login to call people!)

Thanks. I realised my mistake, I kept trying to sign up for a shift to make calls, and it kept bouncing me saying that I didn't have a US phone # or Zip code, but the Dialer works just fine. I will diarise some of the available shift times and make calls tomorrow and Monday.

Thanks for the help.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

I knocked doors in my home state for Bernie. Knocking on random doors to talk to strangers is basically my idea of hell. I had absolutely not even considered lifting a finger for Kerry or Clinton. But this is more way more important than me or what I might be comfortable with. I know that I, personally, got three on-the-fence voters into the Bernie camp the day of the primary. If I can do it, you can do it.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I was going to volunteer but then I read the vulgar thread title, smh Bernie bros are so toxic I guess I’ll just let the world burn

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

the bernie dialler is like one of those oldschool phone phreaking devices, except instead of giving you free long distance calls, it gives you free health care

holding the phone up to my reel to reel tape recorder for great justice

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Knocked on 186 doors today between me and my canvassing partner in MO. Let's get this bread and roses

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Col.Schultz posted:

Thanks. I realised my mistake, I kept trying to sign up for a shift to make calls, and it kept bouncing me saying that I didn't have a US phone # or Zip code, but the Dialer works just fine. I will diarise some of the available shift times and make calls tomorrow and Monday.

Thanks for the help.

oh my god this is what I wanted this thread to do and its awesome wooo

Your Personal Muse posted:

I was going to volunteer but then I read the vulgar thread title, smh Bernie bros are so toxic I guess I’ll just let the world burn

:same:

Asleep Style posted:

Knocked on 186 doors today between me and my canvassing partner in MO. Let's get this bread and roses

That is a gently caress ton of doors! How'd it go?

We did a phonebank, I would like the old dialer back, but at least we made some calls. Gonna try some text banking too! This thread is inspiring :cool:

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Really well all things considered. Ran into a lot of people that were excited about Bernie, and definitely more Bernie supporters than Biden supporters. A few people that were undecided but pretty receptive. I think a lot of folks were just happy to see us, we were in a part of the city that I think most campaigns ignore.

It was indeed a gently caress ton of doors

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
Are Victory Captains trained to ask volunteers "How'd it go?!" at the end of every session or something?

I guess the reasoning is that people feel heard and appreciated? And you want to give them a chance to mention if anything bad happened?

Have to assume any actual data is collected through the tools

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Looks like the regular dialer is working again (thank god), and there's been a steady stream of text batches today too.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

just checking in to say that this spoke texting stuff is surprisingly fun its like posting except im not being an rear end in a top hat who types in all low caps

its kind of what i would expect d and d to be like if d and d didnt suck

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Some Guy TT posted:

just checking in to say that this spoke texting stuff is surprisingly fun its like posting except im not being an rear end in a top hat who types in all low caps

Lmao this is a perfect description of how I feel about it

Can't wait to get back into it sunday

It was kind of hard at first to remain nice and not let my chapo brain loose but it isn't that bad

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I got to the end of the texting quiz and clicked on the "Join the #new-texters Slack Channel!" but the link went to "This invite link is no longer active." after I logged into Slack

EDIT: Got in, it was all slack's fault, per usual

Tars Tarkas has issued a correction as of 05:44 on Mar 8, 2020

Iverron
May 13, 2012

textbanked for the first time to today, felt amazing to even get a single yes

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I wish my state (NY) wasn't so late in the season so I could go knock on doors and win folks over with my charm sooner, until then all I can do is donate and phone bank for Bernard who will win

Phone or text banking is easy and low stress, do it fools, you'll be glad you did

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Some Guy TT posted:

This is cspam you literally just described cspam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

stephenfry posted:

Are Victory Captains trained to ask volunteers "How'd it go?!" at the end of every session or something?

I guess the reasoning is that people feel heard and appreciated? And you want to give them a chance to mention if anything bad happened?

Have to assume any actual data is collected through the tools

Yeah the campaign is pretty data driven so if volunteers are having bad experiences they wanna know immediately