Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
always be closing. you need to reach people at a high rate at this stage in the primary
let the people talk more than you do -- the ideal conversation is one where you are purely phatic and nudging and they persuade themselves within about two minutes
err on the side of interpreting people's actions as being as receptive as possible; i.e. someone who doesn't explicitly say "do not contact me again" is just a "not home" or "didn't answer" -- you might have not got your targeted person anyway

I've got super lucky and been able to use my crap mandarin to convert people that other campaigners told me were hostile. It paid off measuring my own anticipation of risk and just going for it.
I shocked some people who could not credit the idea of universal healthcare being anything but massive queues and limited supplies by showing them some bernie campaign data.
I got a guy who didn't even know what a primary was, or who bernie was, or that there was an election this year, to register and commit.

One thing that pisses me off about online is people not realizing how many people are in grinding poverty with ancillary health problems. I understand that the Bernie campaign is targeting these people unlike any other campaign. The biggest obstacle once they are talking to you is that the stuff on offer seems too good to be true. Then you just need to talk about walmart's internal planned economy (bigger than most countries? bigger than spain or belgium), other countries, and bernie's achievements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Some Guy TT posted:

i really want to phone bank or canvas before i gently caress back off overseas but ive been stymied in these efforts by the fact that i dont have a working smart phone which frustrates me to no end because even though im right in vancouver right now everything ive read about these volunteer events seems to say i need one or else i cant even bother

i would love nothing more than to gently caress off to one of these events and get to work but without a smart phone or car it just doesnt seem like its possible for me to actually do anything man i just wish i could call whoevers in charge around here and see if gadgets are actually as important as the websites making them sound

Just show up to a canvass. Where possible, they will pair you up (for liability, confidence, error-checking reasons) and chances are most other people have a car and a smartphone. Let the organizers know when you arrive that you are going to be the person carrying the clipboard or the literature for someone because you have neither car nor phone and they can almost certainly accommodate you gratefully.

You are yet another motivated warm body turning up on doorsteps with your own reasons for supporting Bernie. Biden can't match that.

If nothing else, you can be the mobile partner to someone with a phone.

stephenfry has issued a correction as of 03:15 on Mar 6, 2020

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Some Guy TT posted:

drat i wish i knew that a couple hours ago the website was emphasizing the rsvp and smart phone bit so hard i really wasnt sure everything has a start time and an address so its not like it would be hard to gatecrash

oh yeah rsvps are like facebook in that a lot of people don't deliver on their commitments. you're making up the numbers and honestly no one can complain

also,,, Canadian vancouver? dm me? e oh yeah I don't have plat whoops

hope you can do both days this weekend

stephenfry has issued a correction as of 03:20 on Mar 6, 2020

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
is there any sensible way to "profile" people when phonebanking? I know I want to kneejerk bring up Biden + NAFTA at every opportunity in michigan, but it might not persuade affluent people

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
thanks for the smart answers

Kazak posted:

I just ask people what their top issues are/what is most important in a candidate

I get quite a few people saying they don't care about politics. I press them, of course, maybe by asking if the people they care about care about politics. Or asking what matters to them in this world.

I think that's a "Refused"

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

PhilippAchtel posted:

I'm a US citizen in Canada. My kids are dual citizens. This means a lot to me, but obviously the outcome of this election will impact Canadians as well.

I really honestly feel bad I can't do more, and if I was in the US, you bet I'd be a victory captain right alongside you. Nevertheless, we all do what we can, and the movement moves forward day by day.

you're phone banking, right? you can always victory captain some phonebanks

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
Are Victory Captains trained to ask volunteers "How'd it go?!" at the end of every session or something?

I guess the reasoning is that people feel heard and appreciated? And you want to give them a chance to mention if anything bad happened?

Have to assume any actual data is collected through the tools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
is canvassing being deemphasized because of covid-19?