Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

I'm going to play Haven and Hearth in 2020 and now you have to read about it. World 12 starts tomorrow, on Friday, March 6 (see announcement). The thing is a grindy piece of a poo poo but there's nothing else remotely similar so what can you do let's play the drat game.

What is Haven & Hearth?

From the About page:

quote:

Haven & Hearth is a MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game) set in a fictional world loosely inspired by Slavic and Germanic myth and legend. The game sets itself apart from other games in the genre in its aim to provide players with an interactive, affectable and mutable game world, which can be permanently and fundamentally changed and affected through actions undertaken by the players. Our fundamental goal with Haven & Hearth is to create a game in which player choices have permanent and/or lasting effects and, thus, providing said players with a meaningful and fun gaming experience.

Players start the game surrounded by a vast and somewhat unforgiving wilderness, with only the most basic tools of survival at their disposal. The use of fire is a thematic focal point of the game's mythos, and an early and important task will be the simple lighting of one. As the first hearth fires disperse the darkness of the surrounding wilderness, more pressing questions will present themselves to the players: Who are they? Where are they? And, most importantly, where are they going? From this point on, players will have to blaze trails of their own into the unknown, the wilderness and the future, and explore and affect the world of Haven & Hearth using only their own best judgment and a chipped stone axe. Trust us, the stone axe is the poo poo.

As players progress, they will be able to acquire new skills and abilities, allowing them to perform a variety of tasks—such as the claiming of land, the construction of buildings and the cultivation of crops—each step forward making the basic task of survival somewhat easier. Having progressed far enough, players will, in time, be able to organize themselves into societies, from simple tribes and villages, progressing through republics, nation states and, ultimately, empires.

At least, those are our lofty ambitions.

// The Seatribe team

So, what is this really and why should you play this?

H&H is a true sandbox survival MMO. There are no quests or NPCs. No dungeons or raids. It is Man vs. Nature and Man vs. Man from top to bottom. You start with nothing but a smile, and what becomes of you after that is a result of your actions and the actions of other players and the various wildlife.

H&H is skill based. You earn Learning Points through curiosities that you study, and spend those points to increase your skills. Skills are uncapped. From Carpentry to Farming, Unarmed and Melee combat, to Cooking and Sewing there are plenty of skills and all are useful. Your base stats such as Strength, Intelligence, and Dexterity are all uncapped as well. Increasing these stats is done by earning Food Experience Points (FEP) through eating incredible amounts of various foods. Seriously, you will be eating stupid amounts of food.

H&H has an in depth quality based crafting system. Everything in game, crafted or natural resource, has a quality stat associated. Acquiring high quality resources and manipulating them through crafting into high quality tools, equipment, and other resources is an integral part of advancement. Need a better sword? You can increase the quality of the ore, the smelter, the fuel, the hammer and anvil, or all of the above. This system works for virtually everything in the game.

H&H has Permadeath. When your character dies, that's it. Time to make a new one. This adds an extra level of tension to everything you do. From PvP, hunting, to even stepping outside the safety of your village walls can mean the end of the time and resources invested in your character. But, the same goes for every other player in the game world. Fights are meaningful, and the fallout is usually drama filled. Its great!

What you make of your character is up to you. A homebody farmer, an explorer and hunter, a miner and metalworker, or a roaming warrior killing for fun or justice. Any one, or all of the above and more are options. It is your choice.

Playing/Chatting with Goons

Discord: https://discord.gg/mN5RB8a

Screenshots

https://gfycat.com/enchantingethicalicelandicsheepdog
https://gfycat.com/wetsecretgalapagospenguin
https://gfycat.com/advancedwelltodoamericanriverotter

Useful Links

Don't use the real game client, there's a third-party maintained alternative that is universally better: Amber client

Old thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

The gently caress is this.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
hello, i will play this

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I thought the theme of this game was new world pilgrims. Am I thinking of some other terrible game that was similar or has this undergone some serious revamp?

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I thought the theme of this game was new world pilgrims. Am I thinking of some other terrible game that was similar or has this undergone some serious revamp?

That would be Salem, which was developed by the same dudes, sold to Paradox Interactive, and then killed

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

a slime posted:

That would be Salem, which was developed by the same dudes, sold to Paradox Interactive, and then killed

Town of Salem? You mean the mafia game?

Mercury
Apr 6, 2002

*honk*
This looks cool as hell and I’m surprised I’ve never heard of it.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Drinkfist posted:

Town of Salem? You mean the mafia game?

Nope, just Salem. It was a thing.

I might play but I can't play til probably Sunday or Monday because I'll be out of town getting high at a ski resort.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 5, 2020

PastaBakeWizard
Mar 4, 2020
Question about the permadeath, does it tend to be the case that you go "oh well" and then walk right back to your base full of Goons, your new character being useful straight off the bat, or is it more that you now have a whole lot of obligatory grinding to redo?

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

PastaBakeWizard posted:

Question about the permadeath, does it tend to be the case that you go "oh well" and then walk right back to your base full of Goons, your new character being useful straight off the bat, or is it more that you now have a whole lot of obligatory grinding to redo?

Bit of both. A lot of the progress that you make in this game is infrastructural: the quality of your tools, your crops, etc. But a lot of it is tied to your character. If you die, you won't be starting over, but it does suck.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Has been a good long while since I've done some havening. More surprised any goons at all are still playing.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Permadeath is a pain in the oval office because of how learning recipes work (among other reasons). See it's not enough for you to acquire the pre-requisite skills to to be able to craft something. You must additionally HARVEST some of it's raw materials. Which in a game that is about crafting and has layers upon layers of crafting requirements, it's an exercise in fraustration. For example, if you want to make food (one of the primary methods of character progression), you want to use a frying pan for the top tier foods. Even if you posses the frying pan and all the facilitates to make everything, until you actually craft the frying pan yourself, you can't make any of those items. Which means you also have to spec into the entire minining/blacksmithing tree to do so. Because of how the long and painful the grind is, no one actually ever does anything risky on the mains. And everyone just forcefeeds combat alts. And if you're thinking to yourself "But wait, I'm a semi-well adjusted adult that can't spend weeks stat grinding several characters" then congratulations you now understand why this game has population surges at each world start, and then everyone quickly abandons the game a few months afterwards.

Basically unless you're mostly playing this game for hot PvPenis action (and really why are you, there are so many games that do this better), permadeath is an incredibly annoying setback that can come at you pretty randomly. If you're new expect to lose at least several character to just drowning or accidentally aggroing a pack of wolves/bear.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 6, 2020

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I think an old criticism someone posted on their forums went something like

Permadeath, pvp, grinding: pick only two.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The linked discord doesn't seem terribly active with the start being so soon.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

W12 is live :toot:

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

PastaBakeWizard posted:

There are mechanics to reclaim some of the lost LP and Stats. I think you can recover up to 60%? And the ease of recovering it depends on how well your village is kitted out. You don't need a village for the mechanic, but it helps.

http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Glossary#Death

I don't know if there are any official Goon villages atm.

Blacktooth fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 7, 2020

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
i'm just sailing around trying to map whatever island i spawned on, my lp feels very slow compared to last time i played and i'm not sure why

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

kcer posted:

i'm just sailing around trying to map whatever island i spawned on, my lp feels very slow compared to last time i played and i'm not sure why

There are a few ways to boost LP gains. If you have a verified account (one time cost) you get a % boost. Another % boost for a sub. And there are some in game items that will boost it as well...pearl necklace and rings still?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

My little farm is coming along nicely. I've only had to evict 3 people that have tried to setup base near me. Thank you Claim drying timers.

Scratch that: 4 evictions.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 9, 2020

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

We have a humble little base but I've reached the limit of what I know to do in this game. I guess we are trying to build an ocean faring vessel so we can escape the spawn island. We started everything really late, we won't have leather until tomorrow and everyone around us already has palisades. Just starting to plant crops now. I'm scared to eat any food so my stats are garbage. Help me

SweetBro posted:

My little farm is coming along nicely. I've only had to evict 3 people that have tried to setup base near me. Thank you Claim drying timers.

Scratch that: 4 evictions.

drat, I should have been looking out for that. I looted a couple of unfinished claims but didn't think to destroy the totem

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

a slime posted:

We have a humble little base but I've reached the limit of what I know to do in this game. I guess we are trying to build an ocean faring vessel so we can escape the spawn island. We started everything really late, we won't have leather until tomorrow and everyone around us already has palisades. Just starting to plant crops now. I'm scared to eat any food so my stats are garbage. Help me

drat, I should have been looking out for that. I looted a couple of unfinished claims but didn't think to destroy the totem

I'll help but you gotta auth me on the fackin discord

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
im in that picture, but i was censored by op, and i need to you to know the real name of the character is oval office

dstyle
Jul 24, 2006
in as bitza

yes, THE bitza

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

We're still grinding away here. Winter started yesterday, so there's not much for us to do for the next couple of weeks. We're just a couple of people now, and we're in between a couple of large factions that have mined out most of the surrounding area.

We have hit some big milestones for such a small crew. We have a bunch of decent quality metal (could honestly go for steel), we have a good tree farm, good crops, managed to tame a horse. Currently hoarding wax to start tunneling deeper into the mines, but I don't think there's much we can do to that end during winter.

I have a feeling we'll get wiped out here in the next couple of weeks unless we pack up and move somewhere less populated. But I'm also feeling pretty lazy.

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

W13 starts a week from now. Will anyone be playing? I'd like to join up this time around.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Getting back into this game would be great but the start of W12 seemed dead around here as well. Without a group it's not particularly fun.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

a slime posted:

I'm going to play Haven and Hearth in 2020 and now you have to read about it. World 12 starts tomorrow, on Friday, March 6 (see announcement). The thing is a grindy piece of a poo poo but there's nothing else remotely similar so what can you do let's play the drat game.

What is Haven & Hearth?

From the About page:

So, what is this really and why should you play this?

H&H is a true sandbox survival MMO. There are no quests or NPCs. No dungeons or raids. It is Man vs. Nature and Man vs. Man from top to bottom. You start with nothing but a smile, and what becomes of you after that is a result of your actions and the actions of other players and the various wildlife.

H&H is skill based. You earn Learning Points through curiosities that you study, and spend those points to increase your skills. Skills are uncapped. From Carpentry to Farming, Unarmed and Melee combat, to Cooking and Sewing there are plenty of skills and all are useful. Your base stats such as Strength, Intelligence, and Dexterity are all uncapped as well. Increasing these stats is done by earning Food Experience Points (FEP) through eating incredible amounts of various foods. Seriously, you will be eating stupid amounts of food.

H&H has an in depth quality based crafting system. Everything in game, crafted or natural resource, has a quality stat associated. Acquiring high quality resources and manipulating them through crafting into high quality tools, equipment, and other resources is an integral part of advancement. Need a better sword? You can increase the quality of the ore, the smelter, the fuel, the hammer and anvil, or all of the above. This system works for virtually everything in the game.

H&H has Permadeath. When your character dies, that's it. Time to make a new one. This adds an extra level of tension to everything you do. From PvP, hunting, to even stepping outside the safety of your village walls can mean the end of the time and resources invested in your character. But, the same goes for every other player in the game world. Fights are meaningful, and the fallout is usually drama filled. Its great!

What you make of your character is up to you. A homebody farmer, an explorer and hunter, a miner and metalworker, or a roaming warrior killing for fun or justice. Any one, or all of the above and more are options. It is your choice.

Playing/Chatting with Goons

Discord: https://discord.gg/mN5RB8a

Screenshots

https://gfycat.com/enchantingethicalicelandicsheepdog
https://gfycat.com/wetsecretgalapagospenguin
https://gfycat.com/advancedwelltodoamericanriverotter

Useful Links

Don't use the real game client, there's a third-party maintained alternative that is universally better: Amber client

Old thread

The server is up
There are 76 hearthlings playing.

Among these, there are 26 from Russian Federation, 10 from United States of America, 4 from Poland, 4 from Finland, and 4 from Ukraine.

:ussr:

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Getting back into this game would be great but the start of W12 seemed dead around here as well. Without a group it's not particularly fun.

Yes, exactly. :smith: I played alone last world and it sucked rear end. I tried to join a village but ran out of HP and fucks before I could find one that I liked & would accept me as a noob. I know a little more this time around at least.

iminers posted:

The server is up
There are 76 hearthlings playing.

Among these, there are 26 from Russian Federation, 10 from United States of America, 4 from Poland, 4 from Finland, and 4 from Ukraine.

:ussr:

Next week when W13 happens it will jump to 900+ people and then slowly go back down to 10 people over the course of about 3 months unless the devs do something interesting (unlikely). The start of a new world is usually the most fun you can have in this game before the poopsocks come for you.

Also, if it interest anyone, this game has an actual psychopathic evil villain that acts as the final boss who will hunt you down and destroy everything you love unless you draw a snail prominently on your land or submit daily timestamped feet pics to them. No I am not exaggerating.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Why is it that every dude with a foot fetish that achieves some modicum of power has to turn literally everything they do into appeasing their fetish?

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

good lord i can't wait to play this piece of poo poo again!!!! what's new you ask?? all public custom clients are broken, so unless you are part of a group that maintains their own alternative client you're at a huge disadvantage this world. enjoy!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's amazing to me this game is still truckin' with such a small audience.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Worlds never last because people realize they're competing with villages of like 20 people each of which has have a bunch of bots grinding resources for them so that will perpetually have a never ending amount of power-leveled alts to throw at you. So devs restart the world thinking that whatever changes they've made will somehow fix the problem (they won't). Pop plays for a bit. Gets raided by some rear end in a top hat, tracks them down to a village with like 50 beds and a bunch of "players" who insta log the moment you're in render distance, realizing that revenge won't be possible or worth it, then just quit the game until the next world starts.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 31, 2021

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

SweetBro posted:

So devs restart the world thinking that whatever changes they've made will somehow fix the problem (they won't).
I think the thing with Haven is the devs don't actually care in that way, they just want to make the game they want regardless of how players see it. While it doesn't make for the best game at least it's an interesting experiment

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Delamore posted:

I think the thing with Haven is the devs don't actually care in that way, they just want to make the game they want regardless of how players see it. While it doesn't make for the best game at least it's an interesting experiment

See you say that, but their devs streams say something different. It's more like, the devs will make changes players want unless it contradicts with one of the few concepts that the devs decided will not budge on.

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

SweetBro posted:

See you say that, but their devs streams say something different. It's more like, the devs will make changes players want unless it contradicts with one of the few concepts that the devs decided will not budge on.

The devs want people to play but they also want to stay true to a strict vision. Players have been requesting potatoes & vodka for a long time but I guess it conflicts with their theme of scandinavians or whatever. :sweden:

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Brass posted:

The devs want people to play but they also want to stay true to a strict vision. Players have been requesting potatoes & vodka for a long time but I guess it conflicts with their theme of scandinavians or whatever. :sweden:

Unfortunately this vision involves saying that they don't want bots in the game while not actually doing anything about except for reworking random mechanics every few years =\

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

a slime posted:

good lord i can't wait to play this piece of poo poo again!!!! what's new you ask?? all public custom clients are broken, so unless you are part of a group that maintains their own alternative client you're at a huge disadvantage this world. enjoy!

Ender still works. It is an improvement over the default, but pretty far removed from everything else still.

It might be a good idea to create a new Discord server, btw. The one linked in the OP has been abandoned.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Are any of you even playing?

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

SweetBro posted:

Are any of you even playing?

I am doing the hermit thing. Got some chill neighbors, and the grind hasn't got to me yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Same. Chilling near the salt sea all the way to the west of the map. HMU if you wanna end up relocating.