Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Edward Mass posted:

Under the Lake/Before the Flood wasn't BAD, per se, just unremarkable. I remember the guy from Slipknot did some screams for a monster, and there was an actual deaf woman in the cast, but that's about it.

That two-parter had some really neat ideas, but none of them really managed to make the episode GOOD. I'll add the mystery about the Doctor's 'ghost' to that pile, as well as that fake prop town setting, which I remember thinking was a really neat concept when it came up, but then didn't really... do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

marktheando posted:

The OP says spoilers dried up under Chibnall, actually the timeless child reveal was making the rounds on Reddit and Gallifrey Base from before this series started. Just nobody in the spoiler thread believed them since they were too stupid to be real lmao

Honestly, I saw the reveal coming a mile away to some degree, I think we all did. We just... kinda thought it was too dumb to be true.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

DancingShade posted:

Spoilers: it was the [whichever modern societal group Chibnall doesn't like] wearing time lord robes.

I dunno about this one. I mean in other hands, yes, but Chibnall's never struck me as someone with that big an axe to grind against any particular societal group or social issue. I don't mean that positively or negatively, he just doesn't seem to me like someone who's so strongly anti-anybody that it would affect his writing. Either because he's not really all that hateful or because he has a strong barrier between his work and his personal life, I'm not sure.

I'm realizing I know strikingly little about Chibnall as a person for how much stuff of his I've seen, though. Like, the most I can reasonably guess is 'he seems to like smaller towns and cities over bigger ones', given how he seems generally uninterested in writing stories set anywhere larger than Sheffield.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Has the Valeyard ever really worked as character? As a symbol he's a fine antagonist to the Sixth and Seventh Doctors, but I mean as an actual person with interiority?

I don't mind Eddie Robson's take on the character in A Very Dark Thing, where he's characterised by a fear of losing his identity and becoming the Doctor again, and they effectively play it as a kind of dementia, but that's basically a mental illness take on the Beevers Master again.

I'll laugh so so hard if this plot is actually leading up to some kind of Valeyard reveal.

I feel like, to figure out if the Valeyard's 'ever worked', you have to figure out if you mean the actual by-name Valeyard, or the concept of, basically, 'evil incarnation of the Doctor'.

Far as I know, most of the stories that tried to use the Actual Factual By-Name Valeyard fall apart when it comes to the character himself. But you've also got similar characters on a thematic level, like the Dream Doctor in Amy's Choice or even arguably the Cyber-Doctor in Nightmare in Steel. Which are fun to have around for a bit, but haven't really stuck around for long enough to have that 'interiority' explored.

And I would argue that might be because, if you want a story to happen with the Doctor confronting an evil incarnation, it's generally more interesting to have them be a one-off out of additional circumstances for the Doctor to deal with (which even the Valeyard was, as far as the show goes). Meanwhile, if you want an evil counterpart tot he Doctor who actually does have an internal life, thoughts and history... well, why not just use the Master? It's not exactly the same thing, but the Master's close enough to work in like 90% of all cases.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

DancingShade posted:

At this point the Master is over-used and the Rani is extremely under-used.

Hell the Meddling Monk is super ultra extremely under used. Or for a more benign time lord rogue character how about Drax?

I feel like the Rani could work really well as a counterpart for Thirteen. Not just because they're both women, but because Thirteen's overall personality is basically 'tinkerer, not great with people but she's really trying', which could be a really neat thing to put up against the Rani, who isn't really 'evil' so much as 'uncaring about other life'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Edward Mass posted:

I looked this up, and yes, they are related: Peter Capaldi is Lewis Capaldi's second cousin, once removed.

Peter was in the first music video for Lewis' song Someone You Loved. Unfortunately they shot a second video when he hit the US, because Lewis wasn't in the original video and they didn't want people to think this new teen heart-throb was an old man contemplating death.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Narsham posted:

I’d say 6 or 7 out of 10. High marks for taking risks, low marks for sidelining the Doctor for most of the episode. High marks for the cyberthreat in part 1 getting trivialized by the Master in part 2, low marks for “I won’t kill you but I’ll run away and let this other guy kill you”, though if they’d executed it better it would have worked. High marks for characterization and development, low marks for a trademark “resolve the plot via last-minute exposition”. I’d rather massive squandered potential over the previous finale’s waste of time and talent.

Tl;dr? It me. Episode good, just on strength of how much it pissed off the fanboys.

Yeah, this is generally how I see it. The Big Controversial Bit wasn't actually a big deal to me at all, because there's plenty of room for the (inevitable) walkback. The real problem to it's technically that they came up with a twist that means and changes nothing, but that might end up being sort of a boon because it makes it REALLY easy to undo. It's gonna be very easy to overlook in rewatches.

Still want to see more of those beautifully dumb Cyberman Time Lords though, and I am disappointed that they're definitely never coming back.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CommonShore posted:

You're hired.

There you go, BBC. CommonShore and Sydney Bottocks, presumably with help from a few other thread stalwarts.

You know how Moffat started off just writing those weird but effective horror stories under RTD's tenure?

I'm just going to do that, but nobody will like me enough behind the scenes to make me showrunner.

EDIT: I guarantee I'll try to write a good horror story starring the Cybermen at some point, but I can't guarantee it'll be our World Enough and Time and not our Closing Time.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 5, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
As someone who's fine with bad as long as it's not boringly bad, I feel like the main rule for a Cyberman story should be 'you must be able to explain why this is specifically the Cybermen and not just a Dalek story'.

Nightmare in Silver isn't a great story, but I'll give it credit that it at least had a story pitch that only works for the Cybermen.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Rochallor posted:

It's so weird that Chibnall went back to the Cybermen/Master well a third time, especially with how bad his story looks in comparison.

I've said it before, but I think it's that the Cybermen and the Master act as a really natural complement to each other. The Master gives the Cybermen an emotive, charismatic face that they otherwise don't have, and the Cybermen give the Master a means of threat that he otherwise has to reach for.

Combine with that the fact that the Cybermen are essentially the antithesis of what the Doctor loves about humans while still technically being human, and that the Master loves loving with the Doctor in ways both very big and very small, and they make for a very strong pairing, immediately covering for each other's weaknesses and difficulties in writing them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Largely unrelated, but one of the Red Dwarf novels included the first script for the show's pilot in the back, which they specifically wrote trying to ensure higher-ups it would be really cheap to make. So every prop and set description is stuff like 'BBC basement corridor' or 'whatever computers we've got lying around'.

I like to imagine that any good Doctor Who script has similar setting descriptions.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Thirteen, Rory, and then eight Captains Jack.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Shiftypenguin posted:

I don't have an article, but iirc he was dissatisfied with how the show was being ran and left the show (broke contract too?). He claimed the BBC then blacklisted him in the industry and kept that chip on his shoulder.

I'm sure someone with a better memory will add/correct this for me.

This might be broad-strokes true, but Eccleston himself looks at it differently these days.

His relatively recent autobiography confirmed he was in a really unhealthy place at the time. Which is in large part why he's been so reluctant to publicly acknowledge any Doctor Who stuff until fairly recently, it was inextricably tied to a really dark part of his life. It was a 'you were really hot in that time where you were undereating to an unhealthy degree' kinda thing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Torchwood gets namedrops all through season two, but Tooth and Claw is the first time it's really front-and-center and you get an explanation for who they are. Harriet Jones namedrops them in the Christmas Invasion (they're the ones that shoot down the Sycorax ship).

I thought they appeared somewhere in every single episode, but apparently they're not in New Earth.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 2, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm curious, how did the Time War ostensibly 'start'? Is it a folly to actually try to conceive a literal Time War as... having a start, or is there actually some form of inciting incident?

I'm just asking because I've realized I've been picturing the most minor, petty kick-off spiraling out of control.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And, to make matters worse, the only slightly redeeming part of the episode (SimmMaster gleefully dancing around and taunting Tennant to “I Can’t Decide”) has been cut out of the available streaming version, presumably due to rights issues.

I believe this scene's been cut from some broadcasts for longer than it would've been a rights issue. I think the general guess for a while, at least, was that the shot of the Doctor being treated like a dog might've been a bit too much.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Voting Floater posted:

Hell, I think there are still rights issues in some markets with showing The Chase due to the clip of the Beatles in the first episode.

I remember hearing that a big reason it took so long for QI to get international airplay (it even took years to air in Australia, and Australia loves importing British comedy) was actually rights issues with the images they project onto the back screens. I'm not sure if that's true, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Rochallor posted:

If the Doctor's regenerations work the same way as regular Time Lords, presumably she's not immortal, she just has infinite regenerations, barring accidents. Which is fine, I don't think there's a particularly interesting story to be told of the Doctor at the end of their life. Regeneration is already a big enough price to pay for any big sacrifice. There's a reason TotD only spent like 15-20 minutes on it and then Moffat later tried to demurely suggest that the Doctor has infinite regenerations anyway later. That's nowhere near the biggest problem with that episode.

This is confirmed by Turn Left, after all.That death to the Rachnos 'stuck' because it was too sudden to regenerate from.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

fractalairduct posted:

I can see what Midnight is doing, and I think it does it very well, but I just don't find it particularly fun to watch; and that's why I come to Doctor Who.

I agree (except that I do quite like it), but at the same time I don't think I'd watch a show that's all like that.

I'm sure I'd like some episodes from Black Mirror, but the reason I don't watch it is because its pervading tone is 'bleak and miserable'. And I don't have a place in my life for regularly watching bleak and miserable, be it once a week or binge-watching. I've tried that before, I just feel bad afterwards. But I can handle Doctor Who being dark, weird and bleak sometimes, because I know that whenever it is, it'll only be that for like 45 minutes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Thirteen may not feel entirely realized yet, but I feel like there's a lot of subtle little beats that fill out a lot of her personality.

Things like immediately apologizing when she misreads a situation, linking everyone up in prayer in the Tsuranga Conundrum while not leading it herself, being openly fearful of the Dalek once it isn't around to hear her big statements.

There haven't really been any Big Character Defining Moments for Thirteen, but there have been enough subtle ones that not only am I fine with that, I feel like one... can't really happen. Thirteen isn't special in ways that lend themselves to big speeches.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I still think that the Scrapyard Dalek from Resolution was a really cool design. It's not something you can really use at the Usual Dalek Story scale, but it looked nice and intimidating, and a lot of the usual Dalek retro-future jank made more sense when the context is literally 'this was made in a junkyard'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I think it's mostly just because a smaller Dalek is a bit harder to act alongside. Like was said, the original revival design was designed to be able to look Billie Piper eye-to-eye-stalk, so when a tall main cast like Matt Smith and Karen Gillan came in, it was more difficult to have then act around that.

Less about intimidation tactics, more about making sure your actors aren't constantly leaning and bending to look their villain in the eye.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I admit I really like some shows with laughtracks (Red Dwarf being a big standout; The IT Crowd used to stand with it, but then Glinner poisoned it), but it by default sounds a little old-fashioned now. That's not insurmountable, but I feel like you'd have to lean into it now.

If I had to make a show that included a laughtrack, I'd deliberately make it a three-camera-sitcom throwback show in some form. Embrace the fact it feels like it was made last century.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Curveball, it's a re-release of Monty Python's comedy albums being held back because they refuse to release it without The Sound Of John Denver Being Strangled.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

jivjov posted:

Probably because their budget is near-zero

Also because they have an animation style that's not really conducive to looking good, especially on low budgets. They need to make sure all of these people are highly recognizable as their actors, but they don't always have the best assets and resources to do that without it looking pretty shoddy. Can't exactly get Patrick Troughton to come in and take some photos to paint over.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’d imagine it’s also an easy audience as far as ratings go since lots of folks are just sitting at home doing holiday stuff.

It also definitely had that spot long enough to become a tradition, which is not a small thing, especially on an event like Christmas. My whole family would go out of our way to watch it most years, despite only me and my dad watching the show at any other time.

You can swing that on New Years', too, but it's much harder; at least on Christmas you generally know people's schedules and can slot in accordingly. My favorites are 'any given cable channel in the AM hours', because every single one knows that what people want is consistent background noise, so they'll just throw on a marathon of whatever largely entertaining show they've got a lot of episodes of. Discovery over here pretty much always had Mythbusters.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 22, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Rochallor posted:

Most Doctors, in addition to bad stories, also get good stories though

Jodie has gotten good stories, it's just that many of them are quietly good rather than big earth-shakers, and are occasionally tied to a greater, worse plot in a way that you can't entirely shake.

Like of this last season, I think when taken by themselves, Spyfall, Fugitive of the Judoon, and The Haunting of Villa Diodati are all fantastic stories that have really strong pieces that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend... except that they all tie really heavily into the finale. And even if I'm not as hard on the finale as others (I always want Doctor Who to swing for the fences conceptually, consequences be damned, and they sure as hell did that) it leaves a big goddamn asterisk on recommendations for those preceding stories.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So, does Capaldi have the largest gap in quality between best and worst episodes of any Doctor? Because it feels like he does, with some actively offensive episodes and then Heaven Sent on thebother side.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Burkion posted:

Kill the Moon is a story whose message I'm still not sure if the writer even knew what they were trying to say

I feel like the 'abortion metaphor' interpretation caught on not because it works or was intentional, but because at least if you read it that way it mostly seems intentional.

If it's not that, I've got no idea what it was supposed to be.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
While the Boneless are malicious, I think they stand apart from other 'malicious' villains by being distinctly sort of small-focused. It's hard to say that for certain give we only got one (very good) story and they don't talk, but I really got the feeling that their aims weren't especially high. They're like the interdimensional equivalent of a kid torturing insects in his backyard; it's more malice out of disregard for others than malice with any real intent.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Narsham posted:

And I do think that shifting the implied background of the Doctor from "got into the Time Lord caste out of an orphanage in the poor part of Gallifrey" to "the Ur-oppressed minority exploited by the Gallifreyan colonial power" shifts the character neatly out of a Victorian-era narrative that doesn't exactly challenge the British Empire (think rags-to-riches) into a more modern postcolonial narrative.

Or to be less Lit Crit about it, the Doctor-as-orphan narrative fits into all those stories about white boys who grow up to discover they are sons of royalty (the orphan girl narrative usually involves marrying royalty), so the idea that rewriting the Doctor's past somehow strips away the character's subversiveness seems strange to me. I do grant there's a lot of cringe possible along this path, though. As long as the show doesn't take things too far and get caught up in its own metaphor, there's a chance to comment far more boldly than Chibnall's first season suggested he is capable of.

I'd never thought about it from this angle, and I actually like it, although it all banks on that actually being the direction they take, which... isn't necessarily true.

The thing that I think largely bothers people about this is that it takes the Doctor, who's what I generally call a 'Nobody Special' hero (essentially just a total rando doing the right thing), and turning them into a 'Somebody Special' hero (someone predestined to be taking on this role; your chosen ones, royal family either known or secret, pre-established ranks and roles but that can get a little muddy). You could argue that the Doctor is one of the greatest 'Nobody Special' heroes, with 50+ years of stories across all manner of settings that all essentially stem from the Doctor being the one to put their hand up and say 'hang on, can I jump in here'. Even things like technically being an in-crisis President or whatnot don't really change that, because it all stems from events that we've seen develop.

The Timeless Child reveal... technically doesn't change that by itself (as it stands they still look to be Nobody Special, just from a different place than we thought), but it could be used to change that, to recontextualize the entire show as 'this happened because the Doctor is Special'. I think the general hope is that it doesn't change anything, but for some that ship has already sailed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I still think that, for all his faults, Moffat is the guy you wanted for the 50th anniversary. You wanted far-reaching nostalgic respect, and a willingness to swing for the fences in a way that feels like it matters.

He's the only guy that would've both nailed the War Doctor to give him the gravitas he needs, and brought in something like the Zygons to both provide classic series charm and a smaller problem for Ten and Eleven to bounce off of without it hindering the later seriousness. I can picture an R.T.D. Day of the Doctor, and while he probably does good with the War Doctor, I don't think he'd have done well mixing it with the Zygon's side of it all--nor would he have gone with something like the Zygons, I think. Chibnall probably would've done the lighter side of it fairly well, but wouldn't have found a way to land the War Doctor part.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

That can't be true, look right there, Karen Gillan hasn't aged a day.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So a friend of mine posted a really interesting tweet thread on an obscure sect of ancient Greeks who specifically believed in a god that they also, at the same time, believed did not exist. He literally exists because he doesn't, he is a negative-space god.

https://twitter.com/JazzElves/status/1315670327859597312

I bring this up because it turns out that the belief he's describing was actually the initial inspiration for the villain in everyone's favorite anniversary story wait where are you going

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Astroman posted:

Not sure if he's pulling it off or not. He doesn't sound like Hurt's Doctor, but he's also playing him younger so... :shrug:

I could buy him as 'younger John Hurt'. But to be more specific, in Night of the Doctor itself they showed the younger War Doctor, using an actual picture of a younger John Hurt as basis. I know that picture is from something he was actually in, or at least from when he was acting. I know basicallly nothing of John Hurt roles, but maybe compare against, like... Alien, maybe?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jerusalem posted:

Fear Her was set in the impossible far flung future date of 2012! :aaa:

To this day, the only good part of that whole episode to me was that they did some tiny little things to sell the timeframe of 'the not-too-distant future'. Nothing that steals the show of the whole thing, because that's not what they want to do, just little things like a computer monitor that's also a TV (which they were on the money on), or estimating what stage in their career a recent talent show winner would be at (which they were wrong about, but in fairness that's a REALLY tough shot to call). It says something that when you look back on it, the flaws in the setting itself are around the London Olympics part which they never could've gotten right, and not the '2012' part. I've got a real soft spot for media that tries to realistically depict very slightly into the future and ends up getting it mostly right--my favorite on all of that is the Persona series, especially Persona 4 (although Persona 5 gets credit for accurately predicting a batshit insane 2016 election season).

I remember people trying to criticize 'why is the torch going down this random-rear end London street', but I was a kid during the Sydney Olympics, and I have a very distinct memory of my whole family going out to watch the torch being run down a completely random road in one of Adelaide's shittier suburbs, so I can buy that part.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 11, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
'All Flesh Is Grass' is one hell of a title, though. That's got a House of Leaves kinda vibe.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I consider myself extremely lucky for my introduction to New Who being my dad tuning into what turned out to be The Parting Of The Ways on the ABC partway through, with neither of us even remembering New Who was a thing at the time. We just saw a space battle on Australia's public broadcaster, and kept watching just to see why the hell that was happening. We only understood once a Dalek turned up.

Even then, we didn't really understand the rest until we hit the regeneration. We decided to watch it from the next season on because of David Tennant. ...or rather because we mistook him for Callum Blue, who we knew from Dead Like Me.

Frankly, it's an absurd streak of luck that I got into Doctor Who at all.

Fun fact: I to this day haven't seen Rose in full, because every time a network here started showing New Who from the beginning we'd only find out partway through the first season.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The_Doctor posted:

But the boxsets seem like they’re more exclusory than the main range? Single CD story releases surely trump multiple CD boxsets which have ongoing boxset continuity?

I think the thing is that people at least get box sets; they're not perfect, but they're a known entity, you understand what you're getting into.

The monthly range is hard to really 'get', outside of 'they come out once a month'. It's not clear where to start, it's not clear how they relate to other stories both inside the range and outside of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Honestly, the Scrapyard Dalek was one of the best recent Dalek designs, so I'm optimistic about them trying to adapt it. Might not work out, but why not give it a shot?