Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Oh lord they're going to reveal the exact circumstances that led to the Doctor being mind-wiped and regenerating into the person we think of as "the Doctor" aren't they

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I think we can safely say now that Chibnall was Always Bad, and that whatever show he worked on that everyone loved (Broadchurch) was the exception that proved the rule.

Don't know what everyone saw in that, to be honest. The plot was mostly "person who seems like a paedophile is actually misunderstood" and then the killer just phoned the cops up to confess at the end. It seemed mostly to be a way to show women crying a lot on the TV

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

There's good retcons and bad retcons, and you can really only say whether it's good or bad in retrospect I think. This one seems to contradict too much stuff to be good, but hey maybe Chibs has got something up his sleeve that's good enough to make it worth it

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The nature of the show allows any head writer to leave their imprint on it by the way they write their version of the character, which regeneration allows a lot of leeway with- David Tennant's Doctor is different to Matt Smith's is different to Peter Capaldi's, etc. Steven Moffat once said something to the effect of, when you write on the show or act on the show, for the time you're doing that the show is yours, or something a bit pithier than that maybe. With this Timeless Child stuff, though, Chibnall isn't just saying "this is what Doctor Who was when I was working on it" he's saying "this is what Doctor Who is forever now". This isn't necessarily a bad thing (The Tenth Planet said the same thing, and The War Games, and The Deadly Assassin and etc) but on the face of it it seems kind of pointless. I guess it means the character has a million billion years of hidden regenerations to draw plots from, and the Doctor has a people out there to go looking for, but is that really worth detonating the dynamic where the Master was like an evil version of the Doctor, or making all those times Moffat wrote "regeneration disabled" or "dying of old age" or "too injured to regenerate" retroactively really silly because actually he could regenerate the whole time but just forgot? Like how cool can this race of Timeless Children really be?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

His Instagram post of the pages someone made are fantastic. Page 128 and stop, the Target writer’s edict.

Man that's really good. I like the idea of the Moment basically starting him over regeneration-wise and that he just decides he feels 900 years old. He and Moffat have always been friendly behind the scenes from all I've heard, I wonder if he let Moffat see this and crib the idea of the Moment's UI being a woman

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I can't believe that years after he left the show and described his time on it as a "death march" Moffat will just pop back in to have the Doctor give a little monologue about the heroic narrative of the show's theme music. This right after RTD revealing that great prologue to Rose. Maybe since these guys are under quarantine now they can do a few more...

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

That makes very little sense.

Edit: huh.

It was in the Moffat/Davies mutual interview in whatever magazine the other day. From the excerpt I saw Moffat seemed to have forgotten completely about it (Davies was incredulous because he thought it was genius) and it was basically the same idea as the Curator from Day Of The Doctor: no matter what happens in the show, ultimately the Doctor would end up at the Library after dying (he also said in that email that this would probably not be followed up on ever by anyone)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Hmm did the Time Lord military leaders at the final battle of the Time War not know about the Timeless Child? Because "all twelve of them! No, all thirteen!" doesn't make much sense if they did

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

"Oi! Chinny?"
"Yeah, you do have a chin."

E:
"Loving the posh gravelly thing, very convincing."
"Brave words, Dick Van Dyke."

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I wouldn't have guessed that Graham Linehan would become so deliciously triggered as to protect his tweets

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

The ninth doctor hated Mickey.

The ninth doctor had lots of issues, as you know it takes several regenerations to recover from PTSD.

The tenth doctor mostly treated him like a person.

Didn't 9 ask Mickey to come along, and Mickey said no way Jose and the Doctor ended up pretending to Rose he didn't want him along? That was kind of nice

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Don't think much of Bill's bit, but it was nice to hear from Nardole. It was also quite nice when Bill started talking about the Doctor, and my brain suddenly kicked in and remembered the woman with pretty eyes she brought up apropos of nothing

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Thank God it wasn't 12 who found that out. Just having a dozen predecessors made him panic and go on bizarre rants about brooms; imagine if in that mindset he'd found out there were an untold number of predecessors going back, what, a billion years?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I liked RTD and Moffat's thing with the Master where the character is an old childhood friend of the Doctor and they grew up to be like mirror versions of each other, where each one could have been the other if things had gone differently and they each want the other to be more like themself so they can be friends again. No more of that with the Timeless Child; the Master is now like a cell that fell off the Doctor's body. She even says to him, "I'm so much more than you". Oh well

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Narsham posted:

It’s no more unintelligible than Moffat’s “Doctor grew up in a barn in an orphanage in Outer Gallifrey” and “Doctor kidnapped the President’s daughter” additions to the canon.

The idea that the Doctor was once a frightened lonely child is one that the audience might find relatable. The Doctor being the president's father is a bit of a weird choice, but then the Time Lords tried to make him president multiple times so it doesn't really affect much in terms of *the canon*

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

In Hell Bent the Doctor refers to a rumour that he stole the moon and the president's wife- he clarifies that he actually lost the moon, and it was the president's daughter. Since this would have happened around the time he left Gallifrey, it makes sense that the president's daughter would be Susan

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I dislike any concept that tries to make out that Susan isn't actually the Doctor's granddaughter, it just seems like such an utterly pointless change to make.
Well, the "moon and the president's wife daughter" thing wouldn't be saying she isn't the Doctor's granddaughter, but that the president was the Doctor's child: Doctor->president->Susan

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The last 15 minutes or so are still some of my favourite Doctor Who. Something about Clara's stepmother and grandmother arguing about christmas crackers really gets to me ("oh that's nice, crying at Christmas 🙄") and feels like Moffat trying to make a statement about what he feels the show and character should be- Christmas isn't about "more dramatic crackers" it's about jokes and hugging! It was too much to cram into one hour, which is the biggest knock against it. As a two-parter like End Of Time it might have been more successful

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Lol that Matt Smith still looks exactly like Matt Smith

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I would say Capaldi is especially good(possibly the best of NuWho) but Moffat had pretty much got the complex/epic stuff out of his system with Smith, and what ongoing story arcs there are in the Capaldi era are more about developing relationships rather than building up to plot twists and Big Reveals- though there are still a couple of absolute belter big reveals in there.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Payndz posted:

Absolutely. Capaldi is a great actor, and it was obvious he loving loved Pertwee's Doctor and wanted to emulate him... but instead was landed with "toned-down Malcolm Tucker being a dickhead to people for no reason". Twelve was obnoxious enough early on to sour me on him, and then a run of really terrible stories in his second season stopped me from watching the show entirely. I could catch up on Netflix, but... I just don't think it would be worth the effort. (Moffat's well of clever-clever ideas was already dry as a bone by that point; I was getting tired of them even when Smith was still the Doctor.)

Edit: also Twelve had massive "No, I'm not a boring old man and I'm still trendy and cool and my kids think I'm awesome and I'm totally not going through a midlife crisis" energy, which I can't help but think was Moffat wittingly or otherwise putting himself on paper.

A guy who worked on the show said on twitter a while back that Capaldi played the part how he wanted and started softening in the second half of his first series possibly in response to feedback from people seeing the show air

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The 2016 Christmas special was shot at the same time as the 2017 series?! TV show filming is wild!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's a real treat to see some up-close shots of these details that might have appeared for only a second on-screen. Thank you!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Name Of The Doctor showed Timeline A, where the Doctor died and Trenzalore was presumably razed to the ground by the Daleks right after. In Time Of The Doctor, the Time Lords created Timeline B, where the Doctor lived. The show currently takes place in Timeline B. What about things like Name Of The Doctor already having taken place in Timeline A, and Clara's presence in Timeline A being the very thing which brought her and the Doctor together in the first place for her to save his life and create Timeline B, stopping the events of Timeline A from ever having happened? Well, the Time Lords sorted that all out on the back end.

But wait! The Doctor of Timeline B went back to his first regeneration in Twice Upon A Time, and prevented the First Doctor from dying! Timeline B thus CREATED Timeline A in the first place! The original three seasons of the show up to The Tenth Planet took place in another timeline... Timeline C? So B caused C to become A, before causing A to become B. Not to mention that Clara and the Doctor were first brought together by Missy, who stabbed her previous self causing him to regenerate into her because she wanted to help the Doctor of Timeline B. Which means that Timeline B caused itself from inside itself, literally pulling itself up by its bootstraps.

It's actually kind of a relief that the entire Moffat era has now been retconned so that the Doctor was never actually in danger of dying at any point, meaning Name Of The Doctor was probably just some kind of hallucination

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Astroman posted:

You forgot to throw inThe Valeyard.

tbh I'm surprised Moffat never did anything substantial with the Valeyard; the Great Intelligence mentions it but almost as a way of showing he's not as smart as he thinks because if the audience knows about the Valeyard at all they know that it isn't the Doctor. I think the aliens in Twice Upon A Time mention it? But also like in an offhand way

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Astroman posted:

That would be good but either way the Dream Lord should have come back.

That guy was in an Avengers movie a year later, so his rates probably shot up

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That was really offputting when I got a video of some series 7 extended episodes as a kid. Pausing every few lines in anticipation of audience laughter that wasn't there

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'm pleased that Day Of The Doctor didn't contrive a reason to put a lei on him at the end.

Thinking about it, it's pretty funny the kinds of semi-sensible chronological orders you can wrangle the show into:

Waters Of Mars(2009) > Day Of The Doctor(2013) > The End Of Time (2009) (partially set BEFORE Day Of The Doctor) > World Enough And Time/The Doctor Falls(2017) (next Master episode from his perspective) > Deep Breath(2014) (next Master episode from her perspective) etc :2bong:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I reached the end of the 11 era in my rewatch last night and, even though the events leading up to it are still a gigantic mess, I still love Smith’s final episode. Having him spend what he believes are his final years defending a small farm town from every enemy in the universe as he becomes the heart and soul of that town is just so genuinely endearing. His goodbye speech still breaks my heart.

As great as Capaldi was and Whitaker has been, I don’t think I’ll ever stop missing 11 :unsmith:

Big same. I got free HBO Max with my internet package and my first thought was "ooh I can watch Matt Smith again"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

12's final episode has issues which largely stem from the fact that his penultimate episode was meant to actually be the final one, but then when Moffat heard Chibnall wasn't starting with a Christmas special he felt like he had to write one to avoid losing the Christmas Day slot, which in the end they did anyway

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Strong Convections posted:

I stopped watching part way through series 11, and the op doesn't make it sound like it's gotten any better.

Having said that, I love Torchwood - it's dumb, but John Barrowman is a charming fellow (though even he can't make Miracle Day rewatchable).
So my question is this - is series 12 charming terrible? Or is it "Amazon just needs a few tweaks but the system is fine and the oppressed workers are the real bad guys" terrible?

If you like retcons, definitely check series 12 out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Narsham posted:

I think Chibnall wanted a Black woman as the Doctor and didn't want to wait and hope that he was still showrunner and got to cast the next Doctor. I think everything else followed from that.
I suspect I would see this exact claim in a right-wing youtube video