Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just rewatched Day of the Doctor and it made me happy. What should I watch next? Unironic suggestions only - i.e. no "The Twin Dilemma" etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Doctor posted:

Curse of Fenric? Remembrance of the Daleks?

thanks! That's the queue now!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Doctor posted:

Do them in the opposite order!

Too slow. I just finished Fenric. Remembrance next while my pizza dough proofs.

I've watched lots of these once before but they're pretty fun on a rewatch. Lots of the rough edges appear to be a function of the low budget - when the Haemovores go after the priest you can see the actresses almost cracking up but they didn't bother to reshoot it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Holy poo poo I forgot how much fun Remembrance of the Daleks is. It's absurdist and amazing. It hits high gear as soon as The Doctor and Ace jump into that van and the military people are just like "oh sure whatever you can come with us to the emergency" and it doesn't let off from there.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm TOTALLY doing Space Museum next. Someone pick a Troughton story for me after that. I'd prefer one that's still mostly extant - not in the mood for a reconstruction/audio.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thanks all. I'll scroll through and pick something once I finish The Space Museum, though I think you guys suggested literally every Troughton story.

(I should add that these are all rewatches for me, I've watched every intact story and all of the reconstructions at least part way into the Troughton era).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm still putting my name out there as the next showrunner. I have a companion idea that hasn't quite been done yet, but other than that I'll hire an executive producer for the maths stuff, do more sound stage episodes to keep content coming out, and get good science fiction authors to pitch plot ideas.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'll be your script editor, and I promise to be more like Robert Holmes or Terrance Dicks, instead of Eric Saward. :v:

You're hired.

There you go, BBC. CommonShore and Sydney Bottocks, presumably with help from a few other thread stalwarts.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cybermen should never be used again except for body horror stories. They're really lame when their primary function is as a militant enemy bith bombs and splosions. They end up just being dollar store daleks. I guess World Enough and Time used them in a kind of force of nature role in that whole relativistic finger trap setup (which I totally love).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cleretic posted:

As someone who's fine with bad as long as it's not boringly bad, I feel like the main rule for a Cyberman story should be 'you must be able to explain why this is specifically the Cybermen and not just a Dalek story'.

And in the same respect the Sontarans must not be used as 3rd tier Daleks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just listened to Minuet in Hell tonight and :chloe:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

It's just such a... baffling story. What the gently caress were they thinking?

It's as if they had 4 different scripts and they mashed them all together without any thought for coherence, filled every remaining plot hole with the worst cliche they could find, and then sprinked in slaves and rape just for funzies.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

When I'm showrunner the sonic will stay but our style guide will have lists of good and lame uses of the sonic, and the general direction will be to avoid using the sonic to solve problems that could be solved without the sonic and/or to avoid introducing problems only to have them removed by the sonic. The sonic under no circumstances should be a weapon. I hate when it's a ray gun or a plot-obstacle skipper.

My favourite "didn't use the sonic" is 5 jovially flipping a coin to decide which passage to take in the caves. My favourite big sonic moment is the "it's the same screwdriver!" in Day of the Doctor.

Your move, bbc, who is 100% reading this post.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

3, war, captain Jack, Jamie, Brig

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

How is the brig only 1 point

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just rewatched Face the Raven - Heaven Sent - Hell Bent and I found that Hell Bent is way way way better than I remembered. The Hybrid resolution didn't even feel like stupid bullshit this time. There were actually more confusing/annoying things in Face the Raven, I felt (especially involving this Raven creature).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chokes McGee posted:

Way better? Way better?!

Yeah, compared to my memory of it anyway, I'd give it italics.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Delgado's is clearly the best, followed by Missy's.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I liked Martha as a character, and i think she was well-portrated, but the Rose baggage was too much and I felt that was overall a weak season. Martha also suffers from being followed by Donna, who is top-tier.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Queuing up Enemy of the World

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

All of the Morbius doctors are just 2 with wigs and fake moustaches.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I saw a clip from a student theatre production of midnight and I think it works well on stage.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm really disappointed with the Capaldi face swap.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Doctor posted:

Ha, same. Luckily, google is amazing! David Burton!

Extremely my poo poo

I 100% guarantee that if really pressed on this he'd take a journalist out to a secret Doctor Who cast/crew reunion, show up with a gigantic dufflebag, get the journalist to drive him and the dufflebag out to some woods in the middle of nowhere on the premise that the reunion is out in these woods, then make the journalist wait in the car while he goes into the woods with the dufflebag to get permission from the various Bakers and Davisons and everyone else who is having jolly fun in the woods to bring a journalist out to the private party, and then to come back 3h later with a dufflebag-sized trophy that says "Best Doctor Ever" but no dufflebag, and offering regrets from all of the other Doctors who were uncomfortable having an uninvited journalist at the private party.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I also love that this appears to have been a scam to get a free really lovely car. It's so much better than if he'd gotten a BMW or even a Volkswagen.

Just look at that loving thing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I will also chime in on the excellence of that particular Capaldi episode. I've talked a few people into watching it and they come back and are like "yeah I was an idiot for tuning out in his first series you were right"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

awesome

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I didn't understand the need to make the Daleks bigger in the redesign. Their size has relatively little to do with how scary they are.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

jivjov posted:

I don't mind Dalek/Time War stories...and I know they have way more output than just that...but man...it sure seems like they do a LOT of those. I guess it sells to the more casual fans.

Those casual fans who buy big finish products

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Toby Jones? More like Toby Jowns.

He has been the best part of everything I've seen him in. I quite liked Detectorists but I have to admit that I refused to watch a second season because I felt that the story was complete after the first.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I welcome more Sealab 2021 doctor who

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The later portion of 11 has a comic book aesthetic which I don't much like.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Barry Foster posted:

That's an interesting way to put it - can you expand on that?

Maybe from the second half of the Amy-Rory saga featuring River Song and all of the sidekicks, and it's hard for me to put my finger on exactly why I feel this, but everything around/after the Pandoricon and any of the stories that have the "and the doctor" narration just feel that way to me. I suppose even The Name of the Doctor has this too. The plots feel like comic booky romance adventures, many of the episodes have lots of rich colour design, and the tendency for "the whole gang" to show up (A Good Man Goes to War) goes that way as well. The way scenes unfold often has this vibe.

I'm zoned out and tired right now so I'm not sure which examples I'm forgetting and/or imagining.

This feeling is most pronounced in Moffat tentpost episodes, but it's there in Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I first started watching early classic Doctor Who because I had nothing else to watch and then about 3 stories in I was like "holy poo poo this is amazing," as a 1960s relic, as a campy piece, and then just as sci fi storytelling in its own right. In many ways the first doctor is my favourite.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

Another great thing about The War Games is that it's fantastic, which is something more stories should aspire to be.

I'm trying to decide if I should tell my SO to watch The War Games with me.... I wonder if she'd be on board for it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Demons of the Punjab and It Takes You Away are top-tier as well.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My hope is that the Ruth doctor is some kind of alternate universe or time line fork, maybe even going back to some recent and known point so Jodie and Ruth are 13a and 13b, and this arc ends with them being merged and Jodie's 3rd series in Ruth's tardis. Maybe it could have been that looping back to multidoc with #1 caused some sort of paradox in the regeneration and -technobabble-

I like the Ruth doctor though and it would be cool to get a bit more of her.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, that’s a plot point that gets lost sometimes. There’s been a ton of upheaval on earth, and this is a last ditch attempt to find out what’s going on. My dad knows Tony Osoba, and I briefly chatted with him about his part in the episode. He complained that most of his filmed stuff had been cut out, so I can’t help but wonder what was missing.

KILL THE MOON: DIRECTOR'S CUT

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Burkion posted:

I can't help but feel any clarity on Kill The Moon's story would only hurt it

KILL KILL THE MOON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Astroman posted:

"I want to see

said nobody, ever.

Curiosity is loving killing me in this case. I need to see this. My hypothesis is that it will be weirder and clumsier.