Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
If you're still after suggestions for later, The Space Museum has a lot that makes me smile but I know it's not really a popular serial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Carrot juice, carrot juice, carrot juice...!

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
it's good to point out that Lovecraft was a hateful poo poo, but it feels kind of empty doing so while putting out stories where the Doctor uncritically pals around with Winston "Famine or no famine, Indians will always breed like rabbits (so we'll just let 2 million of them starve to death)" Churchill

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

Also, Nixon

For sure, just went with Churchill since he's in the 3DA set Big Fin put out recently and is therefore a more immediate comparison

mehall posted:

Yeah, genuinely, i loving hate Churchill, but having Doctor Who criticise Churchill would be a sure fire way to get the show cancelled and everyone involved fired.

That's why you just don't directly involve the man at all.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Hartnell, Bill, Ace, and Susan

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

I'm choosing to believe that they wrote Vienna into this purely so they could have Chase Masterson In the cast

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

Big Finish to end the monthy range in 2021, replacing it with rotating boxsets

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/revamped-doctor-who-audio-ranges-from-big-finish

It's been a couple of years since I regularly bought any Big Finish, but when I did I would buy box sets that interested me pretty much the month they came out if not day of release, while individual story release like the monthly range, Early Adventures, and the 4DAs (before it moved to boxes too) I'd wait and pick up when they went on special.

Maybe their sales data says that more of their customers are trending that way and they're hoping to capture more regular sales from folks with that kind of buying habit

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I can't really think of a combination of words that excite me less than "faces his old enemies, the Daleks, in the Time War" at this point tbh.

Short Trip stories with the Ainley and Delgado Masters are interesting, tho

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

They're aiming for that mass appeal audience here. 8 is the kinda the "face" of Big Finish doctors, and Daleks are /the/ Doctor Who enemy

for sure, i understand the why, it's just that, like, the Eighth Doctor Time War series hasn't even finished yet and I'm personally kind of over Daleks and the Time War for the moment so Big Fin's contribution to Timelord Victorious being "the Eighth Doctor... against the Daleks... in the Time War" really isn't up my alley

though I do still have to listen to Susan's War, that's one i'm keen for

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

Some top :3: content from this week's Popbitch mailout:

oh gosh, this is the best

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Big Finish has three dozen recent boxsets back at their preorder prices (the code to access is "RETRO") which isn't the most exciting sale, but since I didn't grab the fourth David Bradley set before the price increased and am interested in a sequel to The Daleks (assuming it continues on from that story's depiction of them as survivalists rather than universal supremacists) and a historical with the Romanovs I figured I might as well grab that even though Twice Upon a Time really soured me on that take on the First Doctor (admittedly due more to Moffat's writing than the performance) and the third McGann Time War set since I have the first two so I might as well finish the series out with this and when the fourth one comes out even though I'm pretty whatever about Time War stuff at this point.

Unrelated to the sale, and far more enthusiastically than I made those first two purchases sound, I figured I should probably grab Susan's War before that goes up in price since I love Carole Ann Ford and William Russel and A Heart on Both Sides so I need to hear more from that

These three box sets are probably more than I've bought from Big Finish altogether in the past two and a half years lol

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Unkempt posted:

It's the before Hartnell incarnations that bother people, not the extra regenerations after.

i mean, like, people have had since 1976 to make their peace with pre-Hartnell Doctors

i didn't really care for the whole Timeless Child thing more because it felt like an empty resolution compared to the amazing buildup to the Jo Martin Doctor, but the one thing i will give it (apart from the Time Lord Cybermen being such amazing camp nonsense) is saying "gently caress all your dumb fan rationalisations" and bringing back the Morbius Doctors

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 12, 2020

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Time Lord Victorious comics details

quote:

More Time Lord Victorious stories are revealed today – two comic books will be released by Titan Comics from September 2020!

The first issue, one of two over-sized comic issues, is a ground-breaking new comic adventure for the Tenth Doctor that sees the return of the Doctor’s most iconic enemy, the Daleks.

When the Doctor faces his ancient foes once again, it soon becomes clear that things aren't what they seem – time is all wrong and something is coming that terrifies even the Daleks.

These Time Lord Victorious stories mark the first time that the Daleks, the Doctor’s deadliest enemy, make their Titan Comics debut.

Jake Devine, Editor of Titan’s Doctor Who Comics, says:

“Titan’s comic story is quite unique, as it features the Tenth Doctor as seen in the recent Thirteenth Doctor comic series, so he's not reached his so-called victory over time yet. But what has been fun to explore is the Doctor getting a glimpse of what's to come and foreshadowing his own dark turn.”

Time Lord Victorious #1 is written by Eisner-nominated Jody Houser (Stranger Things, Star Wars, Spider-Man) with art by Roberta Ingranata (Witchblade) and colours by Enrica Eren Angiolini.

oh boy, more Daleks

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Webb's a transphobic piece of poo poo, in case you weren't aware

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Muppetjedi posted:

Kate Bush as the 4th Doctor

She's already a real life Time Lord living among us, so it makes sense

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What a sad looking fellow

Chumblies will always be better no matter how you try to imitate them, Dalek

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

:regd08:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

Isn't the Valeyard clone-Ten in the comics?

that whole thing turned out to be in the Doctor's head while some space parasite thing was chowing on him

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Tom would be too soused to bother with a sex cult

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/david-tennant-and-paul-mcgann-star-in-doctor-who-time-lord-victorious

BF's final contribution to the "Time Lord Victorious" range: a full cast story starring Paul McGann and David Tennant. The kicker? The only physical copies are on LP, available at UK Asda stores. (BF will be selling a download though)

having different "sides" with different Doctors dealing with the same situation in different ways on different sides of the record actually sounds like a really cool gimmick.

it's not something my being Australian could buy physically even if i wasn't download only, but it's a neat use of the format

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Christopher Ecclestone is doing Big Finish!!!!

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=christopher-eccleston-big-finish

Never thought I'd see the day!!!

:o :o :o

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Just tell good stories regardless of if they fit exactly within the timeline of the show :shrug:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

And of course, there's the famous Tom story of meeting with Nick Briggs and David Richardson to talk about ideas for series 1 and 2 of the Fourth Doctor adventures. Tom had a legal pad full of story ideas that he read off of, and later, when Tom was out of the room, Nick took a peek at it to make sure he hadn't missed anything. The pad was blank.

That man is such a treasure :allears:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

He’s also an alternate universe Doctor, so it cancels out.

yeah, he was a villain in a few 4DAs as well, but the bulk of his Big Fin work has been as Unbound Three alongside Benny

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Given that the alternative is "actually watching Torchwood", I'd continue to stick to this gameplan if I were you. :v:

Yeah, much less playing date rape off for laughs in the Web Planet

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

But Hot Take....I really dig the idea of Ruth as an incarnation of the Doctor.

I was really into that episode (Jack's inclusion feeling like a non sequitur aside) and thought the build-up and reveal was fantastic. I wound up pretty indifferent to where it ultimately went in the end but in isolation I was gripped

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

It actually IS a missing episode, but it's the Feast of Steven somehow

I'd take it. Having the full thing of Hartnell's "a happy Christmas to all of you at home" would be nice

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

I find myself somewhat disappointed that the other two Out of Time stories are also 10 tales. I love 10....but would have much preferred to see teamups of like...9 and 6 or 11 and 7. Guess it's the same reason the Daleks keep popping up everywhere...the popular characters sell.

After they announced that Eccles was going to be working with them I did start to wonder if maybe they'd been holding back on announcing the rest of Out of Time because he might be involved with that, but I honestly can't be disappointed that we're getting Tennant with the living classic Doctors instead.

I guess the only thing I could say is that him with his father in law again instead of McCoy is a bit of a bummer, unless these were done when Sylv was unable to record because of lockdowns

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The Doctor was the malicious element in Capaldi's first season. Just absolute garbage. Thank God he got better before the end of his run

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Pretending like you're trying to do Hartnell again while seemingly only taking "he was a bit of a dick to school teachers for a bit" from it explains so much of Twice Upon a Time now that I think about it

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I feel like the War Doc is best left where he is now.

It was one thing when we actually had John Hurt around to play the Doctor in audios set during the war itself, and Day itself was obviously a special case, but him interacting with other Doctors after that feels like it would kind of go against the "mythologising" that those that come after him have been doing prior to that point (which they then learn in Day was wrong and the result of misunderstood trauma and stuff)

Though I can't lie and say that if Hurt was still with us I wouldn't love a one off with him and McGann together

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

I can't pretend like I'm not guilty given I've bought a couple of the First Doctor and Third Doctor Adventures but I just don't really feel this.

Like, if it was going to be something in the style of the Companion Chronicles or Early Adventures then yeah, I don't know that I really need these stories but I like that format so I'd possibly be receptive to the idea of more War Doctor stories told that way.

I just, knowing that the recasting debate is kind of old hat at this point, feel like regeneration is already the show's built in means of recasting and that "recasting" a particular incarnation of the Doctor is really missing the point. They already recast Bill Hartnell, that was how we got Patrick Troughton's Doctor Who

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like Jack showing up again in the holiday special was kind of an open secret given how insubstantial his appearance in s11 was but it's nice to have official confirmation

The_Doctor posted:

But the boxsets seem like they’re more exclusory than the main range? Single CD story releases surely trump multiple CD boxsets which have ongoing boxset continuity?

I don't know what BigFin's data says their usual consumer does, but personally when I was buying their stuff more regularly I would only pick main range titles up when they were on sale but if a box set interested me I tended to buy it straight away.

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 24, 2020

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I get the cultural cache represented by the show having the Christmas slot or whatever, but as an Australian viewer the specials were, like, "The Christmas Invasion tacked onto the start of series 2 when that started in July 2006" for the first couple of years and then a month or two after the UK airing on a nondescript January day before finally settling onto Boxing Day broadcasts in the Smith years so the whole "New Years Special instead of Christmas special" has always been kinda :shrug: to me

Except that it means I have to wait an extra week to watch it :argh:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

So, it’s the same plot as Victory of the Daleks...?

Recycling plots is a proud Dalek tradition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty indifferent to where things eventually went last series but gosh that buildup and reveal to the Ruth Doctor was so darn good. It really deserved a better story

And the timeless whatever will never be worse than the looms purely because it doesn't undo Susan being the Doctor's actual granddaughter. That's my one unbreakable line