Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Barry Foster posted:

I got more Eight on TV in 2013 and I'm getting more Chrissie E in 2020

All my DW dreams are fulfilled

We're almost there, once I get my 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13 crossover - then we're cooking with gas.]

edit: Well poo poo while we're dreaming we can throw Peter Purves' 1, Frazier Hine's 2 and Treloar's 3 in the mix as well. Now we just need a John Hurt impersonator and my life is complete.

McGann fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

He’s also an alternate universe Doctor, so it cancels out.

His debut story, Sympathy for the Devil (which also has Mark Gatiss/Sam Kisgart as the Unbound Master's first appearance - not to mention The loving BRIGADIER as a burn out retired UNIT officer due to The Doctor's exile ending him up in 97 instead, so he never got to work with UNIT and Tennant as a current UNIT officer - god that thing was star studded) is one of my favorites, rivaled only by Truant from the Unbound Universe stories with Bernice.

He truly is a treasure and rapidly made the Unbound Universe one of my most looked forward to releases.

Edit: Ok, I lied. This is now my new most looked forward to release. The mad bastards finally did it - The 8 Masters

McGann fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 12, 2020

McGann
May 19, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Good point, the BBC really SHOULD fill the long gap between seasons with The 8th Doctor Adventures starring Paul McGann :hai:

No lie, I do think he could still pull off a very near to the Time War 8th Doctor, grizzled and nearing regeneration time. Plus who cares, timey wimey etc.

McGann
May 19, 2003

OldMemes posted:

That's the way you do it, get your money for nothing and your kicks for free.

Big Finish are giving away The Eleven for free this week (I assume there's not some catch). I haven't listened to a Big Finish audio in a very, very long time, over a decade. Is it worth downloading? I keep meaning to get some of the Paul McGann post-Charlie stuff, but never get round to it.

Anything with The Eleven in it is worth it IMO just to hear Mark Bonnar enjoying the hell out of the role.

Edit: Between The Eleven and Norton Folgate, I'm not sure which Big Finish original character I enjoy more, but they're always must buys for me.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Homora Gaykemi posted:

I can't pretend like I'm not guilty given I've bought a couple of the First Doctor and Third Doctor Adventures but I just don't really feel this.

Like, if it was going to be something in the style of the Companion Chronicles or Early Adventures then yeah, I don't know that I really need these stories but I like that format so I'd possibly be receptive to the idea of more War Doctor stories told that way.

I just, knowing that the recasting debate is kind of old hat at this point, feel like regeneration is already the show's built in means of recasting and that "recasting" a particular incarnation of the Doctor is really missing the point. They already recast Bill Hartnell, that was how we got Patrick Troughton's Doctor Who

I still can't find the clip that shows his impersonation of Hurt. Anyone got a link handy or am I missing the obvious?

McGann
May 19, 2003

Cleretic posted:

I could buy him as 'younger John Hurt'. But to be more specific, in Night of the Doctor itself they showed the younger War Doctor, using an actual picture of a younger John Hurt as basis. I know that picture is from something he was actually in, or at least from when he was acting. I know basicallly nothing of John Hurt roles, but maybe compare against, like... Alien, maybe?

Thank you, Astroman.

And I absolutely can buy this as a younger John Hurt. If anything, I'd say compare him to Time After Time - which doesn't hold up as well, but as a mixture of our War Doctor and earlier Hurt, I think it works to show the character versus the actor.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

I know some of you are gonna think I've not taste, but Big Finish's Torchwood range is really, really good, and very much worth your time.

If they say that, they have to say it about mine too because I agree. I look forward to new Torchwood releases now more than anything else (Especially give me more Norton please and thank you. Bonus if he's paired with Andy).

McGann
May 19, 2003

Oh sweet! Do you subscribe to the monthly releases? I'd just finished listening to the Into/Rhys one that came out last night when I posted that, it's really really good.

And Norton is fantastic. Parasite was such a good story too. I really wanted to hear more of his coworker, Lisbeth, after that one, but I figure we're probably not going too, for obvious reasons...

Hah yeah, I liked her character but I think you're probably right about that. Unless we get more 50s Torchwood stuff, I'd like some more stuff around the time the "Vicar" was in charge.

I am currently on a break from picking up new releases (except some of the specials coming out) as I catch up on Torchwood's range. I jumped in after they reformed the team, right around when parallel Yvonne showed up . But I'm still staying current with the new Torchwood stuff too, so I'll have to make that my next listen. The cover alone makes it look like a blast, I love when Torchwood does 'weird' concept stuff - like I loved Tropical Beach Sounds and Dead Man's Switch. The last one I listened to was Ex Machina, so I have the Three Monkeys to get through next before this most excellent BBQ.

Anyway long story short, yes I am a big Torchwood range fan, though I may have to take a break for the Abby/Zara 5th doctor as I enjoyed that original trilogy.

McGann
May 19, 2003

The animation on these is weird and as is the story so far, but I find them strangely compelling (and am also at work so that helps)

McGann
May 19, 2003

LionArcher posted:

If she’s in the drat prison the entire episode I swear to God...

Haha, I had that thought too. Jokes on you, this is a companion-heavy/doctor lite episode (hence bringing Barrowman back to satiate the anger).

...Honestly I'd be OK with Jack leading things off. I love her Doctor but the episode story worries me. Where the hell is Torchwood and UNIT when this new product/weapon showed up in the press? Does no one go "Hey that kind of looks like these alien pepper shakers that have attacked us repeatedly" and shut it down?

Yeah I know - haven't seen the episode to see how they play that, and also it's Doctor Who so not a surprise if they ignore those two organizations and prior invasions entirely with no explanation, but still.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Burkion posted:

Shouldn't mention that the Doctor is going to start talking about how the Daleks have some good ideas, actually, they just need to tone down the rhetoric then...

There are fine people on both sides of the Skaro civil war, duh.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

ATTTENTION. ATTENTION!! DAAA-LEK ANNOUNCEMENT! WE HAVE DECIDED THAT WE WILL ONLY EXTERMINATE... THE POOR!

*muffled approval from all major political parties*

I'm hearing that with the tell-tale singsong of a Dalek making that snarky higher-pitched ending to the sentence to indicate they know they're being absolute dicks, and it's the highlight of my morning.

McGann
May 19, 2003

OldMemes posted:

Just going through Dark Eyes 3, and I'm finding it a bit of a step down from Dark Eyes 1 and 2. I'm not finding The Eminence that interesting as a villain to be honest, and I feel like I'm missing a bit of the context for why the character is meant to be so threatening - lot of telling, not showing.
On the other hand, the Alex McQueen Master has grown on me - so this incarnation is meant to be the first of the new cycle that the Time Lords gave him to prep for the Time War, and he's in-between the Eric Roberts and Derek Jacobi incarnations? The Master's timeline can be a little confusing.

I do believe we're still fairly uncertain about the McQueen master and where he falls, which is IMO their intent since they'd prefer to be able to stay within the established TV mythology. Leaving it uncertain allows them to "fit" wherever it ends up being the most convenient once the BBC decides to regenerate the character again.

Agreed on your points, though I did find the Eminence interesting, the series has a steady decline in quality. However I think Dark Eyes 1 was great enough that even stepping down from that leaves you in the 'good' territory. Something else to note if you hate the Eminence - it (they?)show up in 4th and 6th Doctor ranges as well (though less so the 6th).

McGann
May 19, 2003

There's an explanation for the McQueen regeneration at the end of Ravenous, but roughly speaking, he's implied to be the start of a new cycle, yeah.

If you don't mind, PMing or spoilering what that explanation is? I listened to Ravenous, but between then and now I've had a seizure and a concussion so most of that memory is gone. I do remember that I don't want to re-listen to it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

OldMemes posted:

I'm listening to The Chimes of Midnight on Spotify right now - I haven't heard it in well over a decade and a half, and its excellent. India Fisher really gets to shine, and the atmosphere balances horror, dark comedy and self aware murder mystery wonderfully.

Just finished my yearly listen, and now am onto Spare Parts (it's TECHNICALLY Xmas!)